Author Topic: Whatever Happened to Ham Radio?  (Read 252385 times)

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
Re: Whatever Happened to Ham Radio?
« Reply #450 on: September 25, 2015, 07:57:03 pm »
This got me thinking about other forms of communications.

- drum beating  - I wonder if anyone is keeping this alive

- smoke signals ?

- morse code key type of thing - could this be done without a computer today - maybe via telephone lines.  I mean - I think there are no telegraph lines

- signal mirrors  - were and can these be used to signal morse code?

- flags  - I wonder if there are still flag men in the Navys

- telegrams  - they are gone - BUT maybe someone is still sending them as a hobby?

- I wonder if there is such a thing as a "communication club" that would experiment with all of the above
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #451 on: September 25, 2015, 07:59:56 pm »

- drum beating  - I wonder if anyone is keeping this alive

- smoke signals ?

- morse code key type of thing - could this be done without a computer today - maybe via telephone lines.  I mean - I think there are no telegraph lines

- signal mirrors  - were and can these be used to signal morse code?

- flags  - I wonder if there are still flag men in the Navys

- telegrams  - they are gone - BUT maybe someone is still sending them as a hobby?

- I wonder if there is such a thing as a "communication club" that would experiment with all of the above
I don't know about smoke signals; everything else you mentioned seems to still have a niche.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #452 on: September 25, 2015, 08:12:52 pm »
I am doing my part to keep the old stuff going.
http://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/so-i-bought-a-swan-350.442949/
The radio in question is 50 years old and has seen few operating hours so few that paper and electrolydic caps
that are in the actual thransciver are still good. Can't say that for the E-Bay special power supply I picked up. 
Not bad for a piece of gear nearly as old as me. Keep in mind that along with the Grey Beards there are a few Blue Hairs that work in electronics. :)

« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 08:14:52 pm by AF6LJ »
Sue AF6LJ

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
« Reply #453 on: September 25, 2015, 10:00:44 pm »
We are seeing a trend toward stand alone SDRs and hopefully the kits will catch up.
In the meantime, why not use something like SDRplay with tablets or netbooks?

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #454 on: September 25, 2015, 11:49:33 pm »
We are seeing a trend toward stand alone SDRs and hopefully the kits will catch up.
In the meantime, why not use something like SDRplay with tablets or netbooks?
That would be fun and they are cheap.
Right now the project list goes like this.

1. Get the Inlogis loop up; that is the main component of the noise canceling project to try and knock the noise on 75 down to a reasonable S-3.

2. Phase 2 of Oscar's Rehab This involves installing a W7RY QSK mod in a Heath SB-220 which has had the power supply reworked. (see SB-220 Find on QRZ.com).

3. the fourth shelf for the desk, the desk is usable as it is now, but needs a fourth shelf so I can get another radio in for use, which leads us to the next project....

4. Put the IC-211 on our club repeater, Why? Why not, a fun project that involves adding PL to the IC-211, putting up a 3 element beam on the same rotor the InLogis loop is currently on.

All these projects take money, right now I have a decent chunk of change sunk in project #1, it needs to get finished, besides I will be doing a presentation on it to our club in January.
Then there are the projects waiting..........
1. four radios needing some TLC (TS-820, IC-745, SB-301, Drake R-4A,) they all work just not as well as they could except for the SB-301 it needs to be re capped and the decoupling resistors need replaced. The SB-301 works but only if you consider 500 microvolts to be acceptable. ;).
Then there is the test equipment waiting in the garage, along with a fairly rare home brew pair of receivers that were featured in QST in the early sixties, I have an HBR-14 and an HBR-16 that look too close to the ones featured in the articles. The test equipment are a pair of Tek 475s one is a hanger queen and the other one looks fixable and of all things an Eico VTVM that I want to restore, just because. :)
Sue AF6LJ

Offline AG6QR

• Frequent Contributor
    • AG6QR Blog
« Reply #455 on: September 25, 2015, 11:53:38 pm »

Can't comment much on the other forms, but non-computerized Morse code is definitely alive and well on the ham radio bands.  Many hams do use a little bit of digital electronic assistance for sending morse code, in the form of a "keyer" that automatically forms dits and dahs in response to pressing and holding paddles (the Digi-Key company takes its name from a digital keyer that the founder wanted to produce and sell as a kit for ham radio morse code enthusiasts).  But quite a few hams still use a "straight key", a basic telegraph key that has nothing automated at all.  There's a significant organization devoted to that sector of the hobby, the Straight Key Century Club, http://www.skccgroup.com/ .  Some enthusiasts use old vacuum tube radios, too.  WWII era radiotelegraphy technology is still in use.

I'm not aware of many people using telegraph systems over long distance wires; I only know about it being used on the airwaves.  Maintaining the wires over much distance would seem expensive for a novelty hobby.  But then again, just because I'm unaware doesn't mean it's not being done.

As for telegrams, again, the ham radio hobby keeps them alive as "radiograms", being sent via morse code, voice, and/or digital communications.  I hear the national traffic nets many evenings, whether I'm listening for them or not.  For more info, see http://www.arrl.org/nts .  It's true that cheap phone rates and virtually free e-mail have almost eliminated the usefulness of radiograms for practical everyday communications, but people still send them around for fun, and for practice in case of disaster.  Ham radio definitely has some value in being able to span that last hundred (or thousand) miles between a disaster area and a place that has good phone and Internet connections.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #456 on: September 26, 2015, 04:09:09 am »

Can't comment much on the other forms, but non-computerized Morse code is definitely alive and well on the ham radio bands.  Many hams do use a little bit of digital electronic assistance for sending morse code, in the form of a "keyer" that automatically forms dits and dahs in response to pressing and holding paddles (the Digi-Key company takes its name from a digital keyer that the founder wanted to produce and sell as a kit for ham radio morse code enthusiasts).  But quite a few hams still use a "straight key", a basic telegraph key that has nothing automated at all.  There's a significant organization devoted to that sector of the hobby, the Straight Key Century Club, http://www.skccgroup.com/ .  Some enthusiasts use old vacuum tube radios, too.  WWII era radiotelegraphy technology is still in use.

I'm not aware of many people using telegraph systems over long distance wires; I only know about it being used on the airwaves.  Maintaining the wires over much distance would seem expensive for a novelty hobby.  But then again, just because I'm unaware doesn't mean it's not being done.

As for telegrams, again, the ham radio hobby keeps them alive as "radiograms", being sent via morse code, voice, and/or digital communications.  I hear the national traffic nets many evenings, whether I'm listening for them or not.  For more info, see http://www.arrl.org/nts .  It's true that cheap phone rates and virtually free e-mail have almost eliminated the usefulness of radiograms for practical everyday communications, but people still send them around for fun, and for practice in case of disaster.  Ham radio definitely has some value in being able to span that last hundred (or thousand) miles between a disaster area and a place that has good phone and Internet connections.

There is a group called "The Morsecodians" who use hand sent Morse over the Internet,& in short range internal lines at various displays.

They use tones like we do,or to add authenticity,the classic Telegraph "clickety -clack" Sounders.
They have good relations with Hams,& we had a display/demo by them at one Perth Hamfest
Here's a video of a demo at another place:

« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 04:14:43 am by vk6zgo »

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #457 on: September 26, 2015, 05:22:46 am »
Telegram and TELEX are still around, though vanishingly small. Used as the system is designed for utter reliability, no "best attempt" but confirmation of receipt on every message, and it runs on either dedicated trunks or in a proper telco link. Biggest user is the military, followed by governments, as they can use decent encryption on the lines, along with having control over the whole communications link.

Offline ivan747

• Super Contributor
« Reply #458 on: October 08, 2015, 07:48:03 pm »
Going to take the test for my Novice license tomorrow. Wish me luck! I got a Baofeng handheld now, and I hang out with some guys at the Dominican Radio Club (HI8RCD).  A friend programmed the UV-82 for me, with all the repeaters. Because of license restrictions I'll see you on CW and digital modes on HF, when I get the HF rig!

Speaking of HF rigs, I'm looking for a rig (used, kit or homebrew) that's less than $200. There's an upcomming ham sale at the club, but I'd like some other ideas. I can build a rig just fine (I'm thinking about the Minima HF transceiver). I could also buy and repair/restore a Heathkit rig or build a kit (it HAS to be less than $200 delivered to Miami, because of taxation).

It can be a QRP HF rig (like the Minima is), doesn't matter since I can build a linear HF amplifier just fine. One of these would be sweet:
http://www.communication-concepts.com/an762-140/

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #459 on: October 08, 2015, 08:03:35 pm »
@ivan747 best of luck for the exams, talk to you on air soon hopefully! Although my current QTH has S7 QRM from ******* SMPSUs.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline vk3yedotcom

• Frequent Contributor
    • vk3ye dot com (radio articles and projects)
« Reply #460 on: October 09, 2015, 10:45:36 am »
Speaking of HF rigs, I'm looking for a rig (used, kit or homebrew) that's less than $200. There's an upcomming ham sale at the club, but I'd like some other ideas. I can build a rig just fine (I'm thinking about the Minima HF transceiver). I could also buy and repair/restore a Heathkit rig or build a kit (it HAS to be less than $200 delivered to Miami, because of taxation).

Best of luck! 

I'd suggest, as a first build, something other than the Minima.  Many (self included) have had luck with the BitX which is a monoband SSB rig.  Same designer as the Minima but a lot more have been built and, being a single band rig, is much easier to build.  Build it for a popular band for 40 or 20m and you should have contacts near and far.
NEW! Ham Radio Get Started: Your success in amateur radio. One of 8 ebooks available on amateur radio topics. Details at  https://books.vk3ye.com

Offline ivan747

• Super Contributor
« Reply #461 on: October 09, 2015, 11:31:12 am »
@ivan747 best of luck for the exams, talk to you on air soon hopefully! Although my current QTH has S7 QRM from ******* SMPSUs.

My handheld totally blacks out when a gadget is being charged with a SMPS close to it. And that's VHF/UHF...

Offline ivan747

• Super Contributor
« Reply #462 on: October 09, 2015, 11:32:06 am »

Best of luck! 

I'd suggest, as a first build, something other than the Minima.  Many (self included) have had luck with the BitX which is a monoband SSB rig.  Same designer as the Minima but a lot more have been built and, being a single band rig, is much easier to build.  Build it for a popular band for 40 or 20m and you should have contacts near and far.

I'll look into that, thanks!

Today's the day :) I *should* be HI8NIV or HI8NIE.

Offline vk3yedotcom

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #463 on: November 22, 2015, 07:24:30 pm »
A detailed description of my latest homebrew 7 MHz receiver.  Very simple, almost all discrete parts and good performance.  I also describe a mixing scheme using common crystals that could be suitable for a dual band (7/14 MHz) receiver or transceiver.

NEW! Ham Radio Get Started: Your success in amateur radio. One of 8 ebooks available on amateur radio topics. Details at  https://books.vk3ye.com

Offline timofonic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eternal Wannabe Geek
« Reply #464 on: November 23, 2015, 02:12:12 am »
I would love to play with FOSS + OSHW SDR. Codec2 seems a very interesting audio codec!

Offline vk3yedotcom

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #465 on: January 04, 2016, 01:41:22 am »
The latest QSO Today features a great interview with Alan W2AEW, a prominent YouTuber and poster here.

http://www.qsotoday.com/podcasts/w2aew

Offline retrolefty

• Super Contributor
  • measurement changes behavior
« Reply #466 on: January 04, 2016, 01:54:19 am »
Going to take the test for my Novice license tomorrow. Wish me luck! I got a Baofeng handheld now, and I hang out with some guys at the Dominican Radio Club (HI8RCD).  A friend programmed the UV-82 for me, with all the repeaters. Because of license restrictions I'll see you on CW and digital modes on HF, when I get the HF rig!

It can be a QRP HF rig (like the Minima is), doesn't matter since I can build a linear HF amplifier just fine. One of these would be sweet:
http://www.communication-concepts.com/an762-140/

$200 might score you a vintage Kenwood (or other manufacture's) 'hybrid' transceiver such as the TS-520S, TS-820 in working condition. The '520' was always a favorite of mine, pure analog, not many features, but can optionally contain  a narrow CW crystal filter in addition to the standard SSB crystal filter. All solid state except for the driver and two final tubes to handle the higher wattage output.

Make no mistake, modern transceivers have great features and functions but is not a easy or affordable starter rig for someone first starting out with ham radio. One path or method for getting a decent starter rig is to check out a local ham club and let it be known you got your licence but could use help finding an affordable used rig. Your first rig will never be your last rig, and it's best to just start with something as you gain experience with antenna construction and tuning and operating the bands.

Good luck

Offline vk3yedotcom

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #467 on: January 04, 2016, 12:01:51 pm »
$200 might score you a vintage Kenwood (or other manufacture's) 'hybrid' transceiver such as the TS-520S, TS-820 in working condition. The '520' was always a favorite of mine, pure analog, not many features, but can optionally contain  a narrow CW crystal filter in addition to the standard SSB crystal filter. All solid state except for the driver and two final tubes to handle the higher wattage output.

They are good rigs but for an absolute beginner something solid state might be preferable. 

If you want 100 watts SSB/CW then an IC718 is probably the easiest to use basic HF rig there is. Or even the older Yaesu FT840.

Their used value will be over $200 but it should be possible to sell for not much less than you bought it for if you wish to upgrade.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #468 on: January 07, 2016, 07:14:09 pm »
Has anybody checked out the Hermes-Lite SDR that seems to be making its way towards being a more than niche option?

Its still at the prototype stage, basically its built around an FPGA dev board, but the cost is fairly modest (around $150 for the parts) compared to most other options, and it avoids sound card unpredictibility/costs...

Its similar in many respects to the Hermes HPSDR - (but substantially cheaper) hence the name.

It's a 12 bit platform.
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline retrolefty

• Super Contributor
  • measurement changes behavior
« Reply #469 on: January 07, 2016, 10:07:03 pm »
Has anybody checked out the Hermes-Lite SDR that seems to be making its way towards being a more than niche option?

Its still at the prototype stage, basically its built around an FPGA dev board, but the cost is fairly modest (around $150 for the parts) compared to most other options, and it avoids sound card unpredictibility/costs...

Its similar in many respects to the Hermes HPSDR - (but substantially cheaper) hence the name.

It's a 12 bit platform.

No I haven't. However I'm just about made my mind to order a 12 bit ADC based SDR made by SDRplay and carried at Ham Radio Outlet stores. It's also $150, assembled, and they seem to have their own free downloadable PC 'console' application and drivers to operate it, and it also works with some other open source PC SDR applications.

http://www.sdrplay.com/index.html

Offline Syntax_Error

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #470 on: January 08, 2016, 08:07:22 pm »
Just sat for my license exam on Tuesday! Passed all three, although I did miss quite a few on the Extra exam since I had not studied any of the band plan information. I went in hoping I would pass two and no intention of taking the third, but the staff encouraged me to at least try it. I'm still awaiting my call sign, but that's ok, I have no equipment. I plan to buy or build a kit of a simpler rig, and the plan is to build all my own equipment other than microphones and displays, and other things impractical to "manufacture" yourself. I'm not opposed to using ICs, but want to experiment with discrete assemblies as well.

I bought a lot of books for Christmas, and can't wait to get started experimenting and building!
It's perfectly acceptable to not know something in the short term. To continue to not know over the long term is just laziness.

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #471 on: January 08, 2016, 09:10:50 pm »
Just sat for my license exam on Tuesday! Passed all three, although I did miss quite a few on the Extra exam since I had not studied any of the band plan information. I went in hoping I would pass two and no intention of taking the third, but the staff encouraged me to at least try it. I'm still awaiting my call sign, but that's ok, I have no equipment. I plan to buy or build a kit of a simpler rig, and the plan is to build all my own equipment other than microphones and displays, and other things impractical to "manufacture" yourself. I'm not opposed to using ICs, but want to experiment with discrete assemblies as well.

I bought a lot of books for Christmas, and can't wait to get started experimenting and building!

Awesome! There are endless projects to be had in amateur radio. Have fun and please post about your projects.
VE7FM

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #472 on: January 08, 2016, 10:23:40 pm »
Congratulations, Syntax!!  The staff there did exactly the same thing I do at my testing sessions.  I always encourage testers to try the next exam up.  I tell them, if nothing else, you'll get an idea what to study for.  Every once in a while, someone actually passes to the surprise and joy of those there!

I would hazard a guess that by the middle of next week, you should be able to look your name up on the FCC ULS database and get your call sign, or if you can wait a day if you don't want to try to navigate that deplorable website, look yourself up on QRZ.com.

Tom, NW0LF

"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline _Andrew_

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #473 on: January 08, 2016, 10:47:37 pm »
I hold a foundation licence, Just need to pin down the time to do my intermediate and then full licence.
All though the ametur radio licences in the UK are for life you do have to ramber to contact Ofcom with in five of last validating your license to confirm that you do wish to continue holding it.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #474 on: January 09, 2016, 01:18:47 pm »
We have to renew every 10 years though it is free.  Now the FCC has eliminated the vanity call fee, so renewing my vanity call is free though I didn't mind paying $15 for 10 years.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf