Author Topic: X-band transparent stick for DIY electron spin resonance spectrometer  (Read 5973 times)

Offline ChristofferBTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Chemistry phd student!
    • My channel:

Hi!

I've been messing around with building an NMR spectrometer myself these last years, and now I've gone and started buying materials for the magnet.
I've decided that step 1 is to get a ESR/EPR spectrometer working first, it's essentially the same, you're just kicking electrons instead of nuclei.

So I'll have a cavity (lenght of WR90 waveguide) in the center of my magnet, a gunn diode in one end (driver, detector) and the sample in the other.
I'd like to be able to move the sample a bit, as in the linked article, and I'm going to put a turnable plug in the bottom of the waveguide, and mount the sample on a small 'stick' to get it in the center-ish of the field.

What could I make that 'stick' out of, so that it doesn't mess up my cavity?

Beryllium oxide would probably be the 'proper' thing to use, but I reaaallly don't want to work with that.. The article below suspends the sample in a magnesium oxide pellet, it could be that MgO would work, if I can sinter a small rod, or maybe just compress one hydraulically? 

Thanks in advance!

http://www.pci.tu-bs.de/aggericke/Lehre/Spektroskopie/ESR_NMR/ESR.htm

« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 07:56:03 pm by ChristofferB »
--Christoffer //IG:Chromatogiraffery
Check out my scientific instruments diy (GC, HPLC, NMR, etc) Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ8l6SdZuRuoSdze1dIpzAQ

Online ConKbot

• Super Contributor
MgO and BeO have a similar loss tangent, but a higher dielectric constant on MgO. If you can calibrate it out or your process would be insensitive to the mismatch, pressing a slug from high purity powder is an option, if the lack of binder isn't a problem.

Polystyrene has a lower loss tangent and dielectric constant than both oxides however. If you can get a pure enough source, RF wise it would work. Compatibility with the NMR and ESR is beyond me though.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 01:15:30 am by ConKbot »

• Frequent Contributor
  • Chemistry phd student!
    • My channel:
BrO??

Polystyrene might be a good option! I was also concidering PTFE or nylon but that's probably too high-density.

If the pin was stationary, you could of course tune the cavity with it in place, but it's going to do a concentric movement around in there, I'm not so sure you could tune away from that.

Pressing a slug definately sounds more human-friendly that scintering one!
Check out my scientific instruments diy (GC, HPLC, NMR, etc) Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ8l6SdZuRuoSdze1dIpzAQ

Online ConKbot

• Super Contributor
Whoops, MgO, phone keyboard thought it knew better than me again. 
Also check to see if you can find dielectric constants and loss tangents near the frequency you're working at.  The quick guide I was looking at didn't give any specifics as it was a comparison.

Fused quartz also had very low loss, perhaps you can find a surplus lens, grind it into a rod and grind a small sample cup into the end. (Diamond cutoff wheel, flood coolant and lots of patience?)

• Frequent Contributor
  • Chemistry phd student!
    • My channel:
Fused quartz sounds fancy! It's just not very easy to machine, so yeah, you'd have to find something surplus and adapt.
PTFE doesn't look too bad, actually, from the RF side of things.

If I machine a flush circular plug in the bottom plate of the cavity, and mount the 'stick' on that, what would mess up the cavity least: drilling a shallow blind hole, in which to mount the stick, or just epoxy it on top, and hope it stays put?

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Drill the hole, as the epoxy will invariably have a high loss at RF, just because of the inherent properties of the resin. You can put a copper shim over the hole to minimise the error from it.

Otherwise consider finding an old LNB and doing some rather nasty work to the ceramic substrate of it as a holder. Just etch off all of the traces with some aqua regia, and cut into strips to make the holder.

• Frequent Contributor
  • Chemistry phd student!
    • My channel:
So what (just for the academic exercise of learning about ESR/NMR methods and instruments) are particularly good (i.e. easy) analytic targets

The article I'm sorta being 'inspired' by uses transition metal ions. Fe3+ should be good, along with some others. I think you can also see some larger pi-orbital systems, like conjugated double bonds, carbonyl groups and aromatic rings, but I don't know to what extent.

You're right, the waveguide is just because it'd make a good cavity, and it just so happened that: - the frequency's around 12 GHz, I had a section lying around, and it fits snugly between my magnets, as seen in the image. I'm going to put a gunn diode in one end (either pick up a WR90 mount, or mount it IN the section shown), use that as both freq. gen, and receiver, and thus all the microwave stuff is neatly contained.

I'm still working on how to mount a movable disc in the bottom waveguide blind, but that'll be next week's headache..

Using a thin strip of pcb might be good, it's just tough to mount the sample in. unless you drill a hole, and then press the sample into a disc fitting that exactly..

Offline LaserSteve

• Super Contributor
I've had good luck buying small samples of pure, powdered, polymers from a company called "Scientific Polymer Products, INC. ". Costs  are reasonable and the quality has been good..

Steve
"What the devil kind of Engineer are thou, that canst not slay a hedgehog with your naked arse?"

The following users thanked this post: ChristofferB

• Frequent Contributor
  • Chemistry phd student!
    • My channel:
Thanks.

These are the most relevant parts of what is pretty much the original practical WG electro / mechanical / theory source AFAIK.  There's been a lot done in WGs mechanically in terms of having vaious schemes for movable parts in there as well as fixed ones.

https://www.febo.com/pages/docs/RadLab/VOL_8_Principles_of_Microwave_Circuits.pdf
https://www.febo.com/pages/docs/RadLab/VOL_9_Microwave_Transmission_Circuits.pdf
https://www.febo.com/pages/docs/RadLab/VOL_10_Waveguide_Handbook.pdf

Thanks for the information as to the species that might show up in the instrument.  So what would be a typically good quick and cheap source of Fe3+ ions that would be ESR active in their environment?  Would an aqueous solution of Ferric Chloride (aka PCB etchant) produce a high concentration as far as you know?

BTW that's a pretty nice looking magnet / WG setup that you made there.  How did you get the iron "U"?  Did you have to get that custom bent from rod or is a "U" in something like such a size a standard shape or a very lucky surplus find?
What is your field strength in the guide?  What is the WG metallic structural material? 

Is it the case that you can strongly couple the GD to the cavity to get high fields and suitable range feedback back into the GD from the cavity and have that all work out well for the GD operation and the cavity performance without needing some kind of double cavity / variable coupling scheme?

So what (just for the academic exercise of learning about ESR/NMR methods and instruments) are particularly good (i.e. easy) analytic targets

The article I'm sorta being 'inspired' by uses transition metal ions. Fe3+ should be good, along with some others. I think you can also see some larger pi-orbital systems, like conjugated double bonds, carbonyl groups and aromatic rings, but I don't know to what extent.

You're right, the waveguide is just because it'd make a good cavity, and it just so happened that: - the frequency's around 12 GHz, I had a section lying around, and it fits snugly between my magnets, as seen in the image. I'm going to put a gunn diode in one end (either pick up a WR90 mount, or mount it IN the section shown), use that as both freq. gen, and receiver, and thus all the microwave stuff is neatly contained.

I'm still working on how to mount a movable disc in the bottom waveguide blind, but that'll be next week's headache..

Using a thin strip of pcb might be good, it's just tough to mount the sample in. unless you drill a hole, and then press the sample into a disc fitting that exactly..

Thanks for the reading material! I'll give it a look! I'm not sure aqueous is the best way to go; I'd rather evaporate it down to a dry powder and then press it into a little rod or disc. Garden centres sell iron (II) sulphate (that's ferrous) for dealing with moss in grass, and I'm going to start by percipitating that as the carbonate, then let it oxidize in air (non-acidic ferrous solutions does so so fast it looks like they're rusting!"

Thanks! The magnet U is a ferrous permanent magnet from a 1920's telephone dynamo that I've heat treated to be non-magnetic. The magnets are just neodidlium bought online, and the waveguide just happened to fit tightly in the gap! Complete coincidence. Field strenght will be around 0.7T, if i remember correctly. The waveguide is either copper, brass, bronze, or beryllium copper. Hard to tell, but red, atleast. I'm not completely sure how the gunn diode will couple, I honestly haven't worked with them before..

The following users thanked this post: evb149

• Frequent Contributor
  • Chemistry phd student!
    • My channel:
Oh, and by the way, there's a great section on constructing NMR/ ESR stuff in ' Experiments in modern physics ' : https://archive.org/details/ExperimentsInModernPhysics.

I'm still unsure about how I'm going to do the modulation coil, though.
This is the general idea, I'm thinking 10 turns on one magnet, and a simple low (maybe 24V) voltage AC supply.. Can always adjust and attenuate if necessary.

The following users thanked this post: evb149

• Frequent Contributor
  • Chemistry phd student!
    • My channel:
I'm actually unsure how much modulation oompf I need. 10 windings is a bit low, I might try something a tad higher, and then just start low and raise power slowly untill I see the resonance. I'm also considering doing away with the oscilloscope and AC modulation alltogether; it's just a matter of sweeping a range of magnetic field, so if I used a slow chart recorder as my output device, I could just have a triggerable slow DC ramp gen sweeping once over the desired range, isn't that correct?

I'm also unsure how neodymium behaves as a core material with a coil around it. Putting the modulation directly on the iron yoke, or Helmholtz'ing it might be beneficial. I think I'm going to build a simple relative hall-effect gaussmeter, so that I can verify that I can actually sweep across a range of magnetic field.

The audio amplifier is a good idea, yeah, that looks like it's sorta the same conditions as a low-Z woofer. Maybe I should get a tube amp for it, you know, to get that warm tube electron spin resonance sound  ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf