Author Topic: Yaesu FT-991A TX current draws?  (Read 5633 times)

Offline rhbTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Yaesu FT-991A TX current draws?
« on: December 01, 2017, 12:40:11 am »
Can anyone supply measured data for current requirements at various TX power levels?  I  just got one and I want to put together a photovoltaic supply for it.  I'm not licensed and don't have a large enough dummy load to measure it myself right now. I'm most interested in the drain at 5-10 W out on HF.

Thanks,
Reg

Offline Reynaldo

Re: Yaesu FT-991A TX current draws?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 05:58:03 am »
Several Rx and Tx current measurements for the 991A are available here.  http://www.n0usr.com/991/991power.htm

Offline rhbTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 01:23:22 am »
Thanks.  That makes a 100 W Harbor Freight  solar panel a viable power source for field operations.  Plan is a hand truck with BMX bicycle wheels to carry  PV array, batteries, inverter and an 800 W gen set with a mounting point for a telescoping mast.

Offline Jesset1996.5

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 01:46:39 am »
They draw about 16 amps at 100w TX. For 5 to 10w i would say 10 amps just to play it safe.
I recommend getting your licence whether you are getting it for emergency use or even every day use.   They are really cracking down on people using radios without a licence these days. Especially if it's being used in a car. Licences are easy to get, i got mine within 2 weeks.  There's a lot more that you can do with radio once you get a licence. http://www.arrl.org/find-an-amateur-radio-license-exam-session

AC8WP

Offline rhbTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 05:32:57 pm »
I've been licensed twice already and get QST & QEX at present.  I let it lapse the 2nd time because I wanted test gear more than a radio.  I'm still more interested in soldering irons than I am microphones. Getting relicensed is on the "To Do" list.  Unlicensed operation would be strictly confined to "immediate health and safety issues" as stipulated n the FCC regs.  The main motivation is operating a couple of QCXs on 40 m that I got from SDR-Labs.  The Yaesu was a recognition that I'm about to turn 65. And having spent 2-3x the price of the Yaesu on test gear, the 991A looked less expensive than it had. Extra should be just an exercise in reading the test pool a couple of times.

As for illegal operation on the ham bands, you might get away with it maritime mobile, but in CONUS I'd expect to get a visit from the government.  Back when hurricane Allen hit Brownsville, I was listening to the maritime mobile net on 20 m and utterly stunned to hear some jerk deliberately interfering by tuning across the frequency and clapping their hands in front of an open mike. Now,   SDRs logging to disk scattered around CONUS are cheap and would allow locating someone and positively identifying the transmitter even if the transmissions were only a fraction of a second.  Those wideband receivers that sell for $15-20k have a significant market from government agencies.

I had a neighbor a few years back that asked if I knew anything about illegal CB operations.  I suggested that the neighbor get a ham license instead.  I was quite stunned when he said, "I don't want to get involved with the government".  I never discussed the matter with him again, but I thought he had a very odd notion that committing illegal acts would reduce  "involvement with the government".

The link posted by Reynaldo answered my question.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf