EEVblog > News/Suggestions/Help

A review of the seedstudio DSOquad?

(1/3) > >>

dumle29:
Hi, i have a hard time finding a good video review of the DSOquad 200$ quad channel oscilloscope, it seems all epic and awesome, but i would like to hear what you guys, and dave would have to say about it.

This is the one im talking about: http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/preorder-dso-quad-beta-test-p-736.html?cPath=174

And sold by sparkfun too: http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10388

currently stuck with a MASIVE 20MHz analog scope i got free from my school (it pays to ask :D)

Bored@Work:
It is a PoS and has been discussed here a few times. Be happy with your 20 MHz oscilloscope. It is likely much safer and more useful. If you want a low-end DSO save your money for a Rigol or a Hantek. The later if you can live with lower quality.

EEVblog:
It's a toy.
It's only saving grace is that it's small and very portable. If you NEED such a small pocket scope then maybe worth considering, but otherwise don't waste your money.

Dave.

ejeffrey:

--- Quote from: EEVblog on May 13, 2012, 10:35:17 pm ---It's a toy.
It's only saving grace is that it's small and very portable. If you NEED such a small pocket scope then maybe worth considering, but otherwise don't waste your money.

--- End quote ---

And your circuit is low voltage, low power.

olsenn:
The DSO Nano/Quad is something you'd keep at the end of a key-chain! Like Dave said 100 times, it's a toy. If you think it will give you gratification showing off to your friends at school that you can observe low amplitude/frequency voltage signals with a device you can store in your pocket, and don't mind wasting $200 then go for it... otherwise, buy a benchtop DSO (Rigol etc)!

Even hobby level designs often require a greater bandwidth that this device can operate at (~4MHz). The clock on an Arduino is like 16MHz. Furthermore, even if the signals you intend on viewing are low enough frequency to observe with this device, it's a pain in the a%@ to adjust the time base and amplitude without dedicated knobs, much less on perform more advanced operations. The signal generator is a joke, there is no FFT, no advanced triggering options, and even though the "Quad" markets itself quite strongly as a four-channel oscilloscope, only two of those channels are analog (the other two can only show TTL digital logic).

Once again, buy a Rigol DS1102E!!!!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version