EEVblog > News/Suggestions/Help

About designing switch mode bench power supply

(1/1)

yashrk:
How about designing a switch mode power supply like usupply which could be more efficient, compact and have option of current, voltage control with some programming goodness like tracking battery charge time and..  :blah:, it would be awesome stuff to learn and I guess people also like the power supply videos very much as they are in most viewed list.

Even if Dave didn't design the hole thing still video on current and voltage control in SMPS will be helpful for new player (like me :P )

Thank You for your videos Dave, you are awesome..  :-+

Rerouter:
to a point the lower the switching frequency, the higher the efficiency, but the more filtering it will take to bring the noise down to a similar level, equally your inductors and capacitor sizes will be bigger, so its a trade off,

for a variable input you will find many designs, but for variable input and output, you will be more likely to find a boost-buck arrangement, where its first boosted to above your rated output voltage, then bucked down to your desired voltage, this allows you to fight one battle at a time rather than trying to make a single sepic converter with a wide input and output (it seems hard from my own experiences, but i could be wrong)

and then there is the fun of layout, switchers can make nice EMI noise sources if the layout is not relatively tight and compact, with no stubs or dead copper,

or at-least that is my 2c,

Navigation

[0] Message Index

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version