Author Topic: Beginner Video : What do all these passive components do..?  (Read 2660 times)

Offline darky8Topic starter

• Contributor
  • I fix stuff and stuff I've broken in the process.
Hi,

I pick up a board, I can identify all the chips and what they do. But they tend to be smothered with caps, resistors, diodes etc. Why are they there, what do they do, what values to use etc etc??

A "basic passives" video explaing what to use withing a basic circuit etc would be fantastic :)

Keep up the good work.
I'm Autistic and have always been into flashing lights, loads of buttons and gauges. Driven by a need to know how everything works, I'm on a electronic journey to who knows where.!

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
Re: Beginner Video : What do all these passive components do..?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 03:21:25 pm »
Are you for real? firstly do not double post, it will end your career on here very fast. Secondly go and buy a basic electronics book and start reading or an internet site. No single video or forum post will tell you much.

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 01:59:57 pm »
Hi,

I was very much for real. I'm Autistic and I learn really quickly from visual sources, so theses videos have taught me an awful lot already.

I just thought it might make the "fundamentals" section that all, just an idea.

I have already searched for similar videos, but I'm not really too sure what I'm searching for.

As for "double posting", I presume you're referring to the fact I posted it in the wrong group, and then couldn't delete it. Thinking that it wouldn't get read, I posted in here as well. No harm meant.
I'm Autistic and have always been into flashing lights, loads of buttons and gauges. Driven by a need to know how everything works, I'm on a electronic journey to who knows where.!

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 02:06:29 pm »
Hi,

I pick up a board, I can identify all the chips and what they do. But they tend to be smothered with caps, resistors, diodes etc. Why are they there, what do they do, what values to use etc etc??

A "basic passives" video explaing what to use withing a basic circuit etc would be fantastic :)

Keep up the good work.

Hello darky8.

I don't mean to be dismissive because you are asking interesting questions from your point of view and experience. However, even if we had a schematic to explain what the passive devices do, it wouldn't really be a good way to start off. You are obviously in need of basic electronics education so it's best to start off from that point. Again, it's good that you are inquisitive but you are jumping way too far ahead of the game it would seem.  :)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 02:20:40 pm »
you are jumping way too far ahead of the game it would seem.

I have previous!  ;D

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2018, 02:46:04 pm »
you are jumping way too far ahead of the game it would seem.

I have previous!  ;D

You need to study from the start because it is a series of building blocks. Wikipedia may be a good place to start or there may be some video's out there.

You need to start with resistors and capacitors, inductors are the only other main passive, resistors, capacitors and inductors are THE 3 passive components that represent the 3 physical properties in nature regarding components. In time you will discover that the component called a resistor is not purely resistive, a capacitor is not purely capacitance, and inductors are not purely inductive. But to start you don't need to worry too much.

Then you move onto how these parts interact together, resistors form potential dividers and any mix of at least two will form a filter. finally the RLC filter arrives and this is where you learn that any part has all 3 physical properties but one will shine through over the others overwhelminly if the part is used under he correct conditions.

Then study diodes and transistors, both BJT's and MOSFET's, for now not too deeply, don't go into the physics.

Then you start on the building blocks of electronics like operational amplifiers.

You have to take it block at a time.

At the moment only use you can make of those boards is nothing unless you want to strip them of parts which is pointless if you are in a position to purchase parts.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 02:49:53 pm by Simon »

Offline tpowell1830

• Frequent Contributor
  • Peacefully retired from industry, active in life
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2018, 04:21:24 pm »
The basics only change if there are fundamental reasons for changing and old books (40 years old) and new books have the same basic info. Search online for fundamentals of electronics and you will get tons of info. By adding the search term "books", you will find many books.

Forest Mims III books on basic electronics. He has written many books on the subject and many articles. A search will find a multitude. His style is easy and straightforward.
Encyclopedia of Electronic Components, Volumes 1, 2 and 3. These books describe basic electronic components with a very cursory suggestion as to how/where to use them,
Understanding Basic Electronics by Walter Banzhaf is a very cursory view of electronics and covers very elementary concepts.
Grob's Basic Electronics is a book for someone who is interested in becoming a technician. The goal is to show the student fundamentals in the the perspective of a technician.

Video series: Kahn Academy

https://www.khanacademy.org/science/ap-physics-1/ap-circuits-topic/current-ap/v/circuits-part-1

CodeNMore: This series is VERY basic and will get more complex as the series ends.

https://youtu.be/r-X9coYTOV4

MIT OpenCourseWare 6.002, Circuits and Electronics. This is a series of videos covering basic engineering electronics (a lot of math).

https://youtu.be/AfQxyVuLeCs

As you can see, I have done a few searches on the web and found these in just a few minutes; you can do the same.

Hope this helps...
PEACE===>T

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2018, 04:54:55 pm »

CodeNMore: This series is VERY basic and will get more complex as the series ends.

https://youtu.be/r-X9coYTOV4

Pass this guy on, he's a teeager that thinks electrons going down wire and volts is advanced stuff, he's going to show you in his first series how to build an 8 bit computer.....

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf