Author Topic: Blog suggestion - Sagan Saturday  (Read 7854 times)

Offline JonnyBoatsTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • BitsConnect
Blog suggestion - Sagan Saturday
« on: August 16, 2014, 01:36:58 am »
Dave,

Just like you do "Teardown Tuesday" how about a semi regular series on engineering related (all types, not just EE) toys and activities that you share with Sagan? This could be as simple as a new set of blocks to Legos, trucks in a sand pile or a trip to a museum.

I think this would be great because it could help inspire other parents to share engineering with their children as well. Lets face it, just because someone is a great EE does not necessarily mean he knows all the best toys and activities to help children learn.

After all, isn't helping children learn to love engineering something worth sharing?

Offline SL4P

• Super Contributor
  • There's more value if you figure it out yourself!
Re: Blog suggestion - Sagan Saturday
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 01:43:28 am »
Nice idea  but I'd guess poor old Dave's schedule is pretty tight!
Maybe when Sagan's old enough he might pick a topic and run with it...
Don't ask a question if you aren't willing to listen to the answer.

• Regular Contributor
    • BitsConnect
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 04:10:17 am »
I have a suggested Aussie song for the first entry, Morningtown Ride by the Seekers If Sagan is like many American children he may enjoy trains :-)

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 07:46:04 pm »
Maybe.

Apart from the strange people you can find on the Internet there is also the privacy aspect, for example, we don't even know the name of 'Mrs EEV Blog' and Dave protects himself behind a Post Office box. Once in a while we get glances of the Jones family and how much we see is up to them, not us.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Offline SL4P

• Super Contributor
  • There's more value if you figure it out yourself!
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 07:49:16 pm »
...and how much we see is up to them, not us.
...aagh...  a scary thought!
Don't ask a question if you aren't willing to listen to the answer.

• Regular Contributor
    • BitsConnect
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 08:44:02 pm »
Apart from the strange people you can find on the Internet there is also the privacy aspect, for example, we don't even know the name of 'Mrs EEV Blog' and Dave protects himself behind a Post Office box. Once in a while we get glances of the Jones family and how much we see is up to them, not us.

I totally agree. I am not suggesting that Sagan should be in the blog post (unless of course Dave want's him to be); rather I am suggesting is that Dave discuss and show the engineering toys, books and activities that he is considering or using with Sagan.

Even the ones that Dave rejects would be useful to know about as well. For example if some how there was a toy for Sagan that Dave found to be unsafe, sharing that knowledge could potentially save some other child's life.

Perhaps think of this like some of the equipment reviews that Dave does, it helps us select and use our equipment. By doing toy reviews his would help us select and share knowledge and learning toys with future engineers.

Offline Maxlor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 10:15:10 pm »
As cute as the Sagan segments are, I don't think it's a good idea. Personally, I'd hate having videos of me as a child floating around on the public internet. Don't force it on your children, wait till they're old enough and let them decide for themselves what they want to have on public record.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 12:18:24 am »
As cute as the Sagan segments are, I don't think it's a good idea. Personally, I'd hate having videos of me as a child floating around on the public internet. Don't force it on your children, wait till they're old enough and let them decide for themselves what they want to have on public record.

Children are entirely a product of their parents and their desires.
I want Sagan to learn that you shouldn't be so anal about such things.
For all I know Sagan could grow up and go "Dad, why didn't you ever include me in your videos? What were you trying to protect me from?"

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 12:20:09 am »
I'm thinking about doing something like this soon...
No plans for a series or regular segment though.

Offline ovnr

• Frequent Contributor
  • Lurker
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 12:54:06 am »
Well, at the end of the day it's up to Dave, but personally I'm not really interested in his family life. Never was a fan of kids.

Offline ivaylo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 06:48:14 am »
How about short clips of kittens and puppies? Those always attract thumbs up and loyal followers. And instead of yarn balls they can play with magnet wire bobbins...

Offline Dave

• Super Contributor
  • I like to measure things.
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 01:52:10 pm »
for example, we don't even know the name of 'Mrs EEV Blog'
Nicole. I'm pretty sure it was mentioned in the videos a couple of times.

As for the idea, I do not really think it's going to fly. People watch the EEVblog for electronics engineering related stuff. If they wanted to watch a show about children, they would have subscribed to a different channel. I don't mind seeing little Sagan in the electronics related videos Dave makes, but having entire episodes dedicated to him seems rather silly.
Just my $0.02.
<fellbuendel> it's arduino, you're not supposed to know anything about what you're doing
<fellbuendel> if you knew, you wouldn't be using it

Offline Excavatoree

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 02:42:41 pm »
People who don't want to watch can simply not watch.    I've responded before about Sagan videos to people who get all angry.  Who made them click on the video?  No one is compelled to watch every video someone makes because he or she likes many of them.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf