Poll

Should Dave add a "general computing" section to the forum?

Aye
5 (35.7%)
No
6 (42.9%)
What is the point of this poll?  It's Dave's bloody decision!
3 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: Computer/PC sub-section on the forum?  (Read 2678 times)

Offline DeltaTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Computer/PC sub-section on the forum?
« on: April 29, 2016, 02:26:32 am »
Dave, would you consider adding a computer section to the forum?  Somewhere for discussing all aspects of networking, OSs, hardware problems etc?  There are a lot of people on here with excellent knowledge, and I have had brilliant help, but I'm always unsure of where to post questions, usually plumping for General Chat.

You thoughts?

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
Re: Computer/PC sub-section on the forum?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 02:32:05 am »
My two cents

Not a lot of computer stuff here (thank god  :-DD)

YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline crispy_tofu

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 02:45:11 am »
I would be open to that, maybe you should make a poll  :)

The following users thanked this post: Delta

Offline DeltaTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 02:49:31 am »

I would be open to that, maybe you should make a poll  :)

:-+

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 02:57:11 am »
I voted, Yes.
Because we sometimes need, special requirements, from our PC's.
Such as suitability for running, high performance PCB/Simulation/FPGA software packages, and strange usages, such as high performance USB based, scopes, logic analyzers and other test equipment.
Asking on other (non-electronics) forums, may be a lot less productive. Because most of the other forums, user base, are NOT familiar with such uses of PCs.
Some of us (such as myself), are also into computing as well, anyway.

Offline edpalmer42

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 03:09:40 am »
No!

Specific computer-related test equipment questions can be handled in the existing forum groups.  A computer forum will become a dumping ground for all the day-to-day computer questions that are already covered by many forums.  We don't need another one.

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 03:29:54 am »
No!

Specific computer-related test equipment questions can be handled in the existing forum groups.  A computer forum will become a dumping ground for all the day-to-day computer questions that are already covered by many forums.  We don't need another one.

Also we could get many people, asking for help, to perform component level repairs, of their failed motherboards and other computer parts. By highly inexperienced people, who stand very little chance of ever getting it to work. With it costing relatively little, to just buy another working one, such as a cheap computer part.

Many computer things are NOT user repairable, and are essentially disposable items, these days.

I hate it when, on other forum(s), obviously clueless people (as regards electronics), are trying, somewhat crazy measures to fix burnt out, cheap (poor quality), PC switch mode power supplies. It worries me that they may end up creating a fire hazard and/or electric shock risk.

Maybe the solution is to make the "Microcontrollers & FPGAs" have child board(s), with Electronics Workstation PCs and Embedded Programming languages (Help), sections. Rather than a "general" PC one ?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 03:31:33 am by MK14 »

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 03:57:48 am »
Like it or not, there IS a distinct computer presence in the lives of EE's and hobbyists alike, and sometimes there are issues where general computer forums would be less than helpful.

I feel it would be a useful thing to have - but to separate the many overlapping areas would be difficult.  I like the direction this comment is taking: 
Maybe the solution is to make the "Microcontrollers & FPGAs" have child board(s), with Electronics Workstation PCs and Embedded Programming languages (Help), sections. Rather than a "general" PC one ?

I feel any practical implementation would require a bit of voluntary regulation - but this wouldn't be a whole lot different than what already happens on this forum.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf