Author Topic: Dangerous Tear-Down Day! This time: A ticking Samsung Note 7! YAY!  (Read 2971 times)

Offline DragonyTopic starter

• Contributor
Hi Dave!

"What have we here today? A Samsung Note 7! Better not switch it on, OPEN IT!"

The Note 7 is officially declared dead. It is a complete desaster. What did they do wrong? First they said its just a battery problem. Then also replaced devices catched fire repeatedly. Maybe they lied? Until now there is no clarity. Maybe we should open one to see for ourselves? Especially the battery control circuit would be very interesting to see. Maybe they are overcharging the battery too much to get more capacity?

Cons:
- A Note is rather expensive and I dont think you will find one on your dumbster days.
- Its hard to open I suppose. And due to extreme miniaturization, maybe hard to see anything valuable explaining the problems.

Pros:
- I am sure many people wonder whats inside that black boxes. Is it a bomb? VIEWS Dave, VIEWS! MILLIONS of VIEWS!

What do you think?

Offline Len

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Dangerous Tear-Down Day! This time: A ticking Samsung Note 7! YAY!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 04:25:39 pm »
First they said its just a battery problem. Then also replaced devices catched fire repeatedly. Maybe they lied?

I don't think Samsung was lying. They wouldn't replace a million phones without a real reason. I think they were just in too much of a hurry to fix the problem, and shipped a fix before they really understood what was causing it. It's happened to everyone - but for me it was just software for a few customers, not a million potentially exploding smartphones.
DIY Eurorack Synth: https://lenp.net/synth/

Offline Jay_Diddy_B

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 04:37:45 pm »
Hi,

I would be interested in knowing how you switch it off? I am sure that there is isn't a mechanical switch between the battery and the power supply, so it is some kind of sleep mode.

How do you know that 'turning it off' actually prevents them from catching fire?

Regards,

Jay_Diddy_B

Offline Len

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 04:52:22 pm »
How do you know that 'turning it off' actually prevents them from catching fire?

You don't, since no-one seems to know what causes them to catch fire. But it seems like a good precaution.
DIY Eurorack Synth: https://lenp.net/synth/

Offline RGB255_0_0

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 05:08:09 pm »
Surprised noone has bothered leaving a camera on livestream whilst having a Note 7 running some OpenGL test with the charger in and max brightness.
Your toaster just set fire to an African child over TCP.

Offline timgiles

• Regular Contributor
  • Programmer, DB architect
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 06:08:06 pm »
Does anyone know roughly the number of Note 7s that have had issues?

Is it 5 out of 5 million sold, 50, 500, 5000?

I am not suggesting Samsung should not have recalled them all - I just have no real grasp listening to the online and TV media (BBC) exactly how much of an issue it is.

Offline DragonyTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 07:59:11 pm »
There were 5 incidents alone the last weekend with replacement devices! Maybe that was actually the trigger for Samsung to decide declaring the Note 7 as DEAD.

Offline qno

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 11:03:11 am »
I think it is a combination of the battery and the processor.
A snapdragon on 1.2GHz will make a few watts of heat.
Together with charging the phone and runninng some software the temperature will increase significantly.
Maybe outside the SOA of the battery.
Why spend money I don't have on things I don't need to impress people I don't like?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf