Author Topic: EEVBLOG videos had better add english subtitle  (Read 17549 times)

Offline aykut54Topic starter

EEVBLOG videos had better add english subtitle
« on: April 03, 2012, 02:44:56 pm »
Hi everyone:)

This site is usefull for us. I want something so as to EEVBLOG for future and for you:)

Dear Dave,

how if add EEVBLOG videos english subtitle?

thanks  in advance,

yours sincerely,

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
Re: EEVBLOG videos had better add english subtitle
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 04:48:53 pm »
I can hear his voice clearly .
If he were to add subtitles , it would just flash by too fast .
Aussies speak fast .

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 06:46:55 pm »
Youtube has a close caption feature, if the video maker don't make their own it can use speech-to-text to make a best effort to print it out.  Its good enough; just take some of the translation phonetically since it gets confused with technical jargon and some accents.

Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline TheWelly888

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 06:52:02 pm »
I need subtitles for watching TV since I'm hard of hearing but I have no problem following Dave - only when some of his guests don't have a microphone on them.

I once tried to subtitle a clip lasting about 5 minutes of continual talking, it took me 2 hours to transcribe and put the phrases in the right places and I gave up before I got to the end! Thumbs up to those who create TV subtitles!
You can do anything with the right attitude and a hammer.

Online Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 10:43:23 pm »
Yeah, adding subtitles is a massive undertaking.

I just don't see it being a good use of his time.
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline caroper

• Regular Contributor
    • Take your PIC
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 10:46:28 pm »
Youtube has a close caption feature, if the video maker don't make their own it can use speech-to-text to make a best effort to print it out.  Its good enough; just take some of the translation phonetically since it gets confused with technical jargon and some accents.

An American based codec translating an Australian accent into English should be hilarious :)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 11:06:41 pm »

Yes, it is a massive undertaking, so it's not going to happen I'm afraid.
Same thing with other language subtitles.

Dave.

Uncle Vernon

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 11:09:00 pm »
Aussies speak fast .
You've never been to Western Queensland then!

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 11:17:21 pm »
Aussies speak fast .

Not THAT fast , i have never slowed down on catching any speed of speaking english .

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 05:33:58 am »
Aussies speak fast .

They speak both Softly & Slooowly there! ;D

Offline TheWelly888

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 12:32:51 pm »
An American based codec translating an Australian accent into English should be hilarious :)
Did that once - it looked like a very bad news night!

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 07:06:21 pm »
American english is strange. Only country where the news networks use subtitles on news clips, even if the original is in English, but non US speaker.

Wonder how they would deal with the Babel that is South Africa. 11 official languages.........

Offline Write_to_Smokegenerator

• Regular Contributor
  • enthused hobbyist
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 07:00:20 am »
I don't have a problem with the English from an Australian, American or British
But I personally think subtitles are very bad for non native speakers, because every time you just automatically read the subtitle.
I know that feeling really well, when I first started viewing English video's with subtitles I couldn't concentrate on the content I simply concentrate on the text.
Also the amount of work for subtitles is just not worth it.

cheers.
Wondering about my Username have a look at:
http://www.finkewitz.de/uwe/witze/ANSIASM.txt

Offline caroper

• Regular Contributor
    • Take your PIC
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 11:53:55 am »
Wonder how they would deal with the Babel that is South Africa. 11 official languages.........
Ja well no fine :)

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 12:50:14 pm »
Its required by US law; otherwise deaf people can't watch TV.  Its not just news, its everything broadcasted in the US including foreign news spoken in English such as Deustsch Welt, NHK from Japan.

American english is strange. Only country where the news networks use subtitles on news clips, even if the original is in English, but non US speaker.

Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline TheWelly888

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2013, 12:06:19 pm »
To my surprise when I watched the Mailbag video no 443 I found that someone called "Sen" has subtitled that clip! I couldn't find that name on this forum and a YouTube search came up with at least 4 million results!

Well done to that guy "sen" for creating the closed captions for that particular clip.

Offline sen

• Hackstrich
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2013, 05:30:05 pm »
I'm not a guy, but I'm glad someone found them useful! ;)
I'm working on captioning them all from this point on, if you look at the last bunch they're now captioned (437, 439, 441-445).
I can't promise captions will always be up right after the video goes up, depends how long it is and how much free time I have at any given time. Takes me about 3-4x the length of the video to get it all captioned and reviewed and edited.

Offline TheWelly888

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2013, 11:12:53 am »
Sorry, sen, for making the wrong assumption about you being a guy!  :) It's a big undertaking for you to subtitle them all - may I suggest focusing on the tutorial clips first?

Like I mentioned earlier in this thread, I don't actually need subtitles for Dave's videos as he speaks very clearly and also takes the trouble to get the audio right. But I couldn't share EEVblog with my deaf friends who may not hear Dave clearly despite having optimally adjusted hearing aids or cochlear implants ( they don't restore hearing ) as it would just frustrate them. In fact before I got my cochlear implant I would never have bothered with EEVblog at all. But after I started using my implant, I discovered EEVblog and found it extremely useful for helping me learn to hear with my implant ( called "auditory training" or "auditory habilitation" ) as it covers electronics, a subject that I am very interested in which is a good incentive to keep going with auditory training.

As for those who do not like or want subtitles, Youtube allows them to be turned off! My hearing father found foreign language TV programmes with English subtitles hard to follow at first as he had to watch the action and read the subs at the same time but he has become accustomed to it now that we are both fans of "Wallander","The Killing" and "Spiral"!

Offline ddavidebor

• Super Contributor
    • Smartbox AT
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2013, 11:42:37 am »
Why subtitles?

I think dave has the most understandable (this word exist?) english i've ever hear.
David - Professional Engineer - Medical Devices and Tablet Computers at Smartbox AT
Side businesses: Altium Industry Expert writer, http://fermium.ltd.uk (Scientific Equiment), http://chinesecleavers.co.uk (Cutlery),

Offline TheWelly888

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2013, 11:52:57 am »
Why subtitles?

I think dave has the most understandable (this word exist?) english i've ever hear.
Deaf people need subtitles to watch TV and videos even if Dave speaks very clearly. You and I might not need subtitles right now but recently my implant processor broke down and I had to wait 4 days before I got a replacement processor - meanwhile I could not watch any EEVblog video at all!

Offline sen

• Hackstrich
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2013, 10:33:22 pm »
Sorry, sen, for making the wrong assumption about you being a guy!  :) It's a big undertaking for you to subtitle them all - may I suggest focusing on the tutorial clips first?

Well, I said I was going to caption them all from this point on. I may caption some of the "back catalog" of them, but there's probably >100 hours of content there, and at 3-4x the length of the video in captioning time, that's ~350h, more than a month of 8 hour days!
Given that there are a couple hours a week of new content, it's probably all I can do to keep up with existing ones. But your suggestion to focus on tutorials seems a good one, if/when I have time to do older ones.

Like I mentioned earlier in this thread, I don't actually need subtitles for Dave's videos as he speaks very clearly and also takes the trouble to get the audio right. But I couldn't share EEVblog with my deaf friends who may not hear Dave clearly despite having optimally adjusted hearing aids or cochlear implants ( they don't restore hearing ) as it would just frustrate them. In fact before I got my cochlear implant I would never have bothered with EEVblog at all. But after I started using my implant, I discovered EEVblog and found it extremely useful for helping me learn to hear with my implant ( called "auditory training" or "auditory habilitation" ) as it covers electronics, a subject that I am very interested in which is a good incentive to keep going with auditory training.

Aha, okay. I'm hard of hearing myself, which was my initial reason for wishing they were captioned! In a quiet room with my hearing aids and the software I use that plays short clips over and over again until I've got that little bit captioned, it's doable for me. The hardest part so far has been aussie expressions, as we don't use them here in Canada! Much googling for those to figure out what the heck Dave is saying :D

alm

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2013, 10:46:02 pm »
As long as there are not too many, people might be willing to help if you would post links to the exact time the expression occurs (right click -> copy video URL at current time). You could try posting a few before spending lots of time trying to figure it out, and see what kind of response you get. This seems like something that a native aussie without any hearing issues could solve in a few seconds per clip.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2013, 10:53:11 pm »

WOW! this certainly is a red letter day!
I probably have more people turned off (and hate mail/comments) by my voice than any other Youtuber.

Offline mzzj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2013, 11:12:48 pm »

I probably have more people turned off (and hate mail/comments) by my voice than any other Youtuber.
ha!
I usually dont have problem understanding Dave's aussie english but Dave's voice can get annoying after watching many episodes non-stop  ::)

Subtitles  would be nice also if I don't want watch videos with headphones on my head.

Offline sen

• Hackstrich
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2013, 11:18:19 pm »
As long as there are not too many, people might be willing to help if you would post links to the exact time the expression occurs (right click -> copy video URL at current time). You could try posting a few before spending lots of time trying to figure it out, and see what kind of response you get. This seems like something that a native aussie without any hearing issues could solve in a few seconds per clip.

It's not a big deal, only takes me a minute or so to get them on google usually, I just hadn't realized how many expressions there are that are different until doing this! :)

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2013, 11:28:12 pm »

Yes, that word exists and it also means what you think it means  :)

Offline ddavidebor

• Super Contributor
    • Smartbox AT
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2013, 11:51:00 pm »

If people don't like you voice why you're so successfull?

Your voice in one of the thing that makes you funny!

David - Professional Engineer - Medical Devices and Tablet Computers at Smartbox AT
Side businesses: Altium Industry Expert writer, http://fermium.ltd.uk (Scientific Equiment), http://chinesecleavers.co.uk (Cutlery),

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2013, 11:53:34 pm »
I must be one of the few with no comment at all about Dave's voice. It just seems... normal.
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2013, 02:30:09 am »
Since English is not my native, I found out the sub-title enhances the video's quality, great work you've done Sen, thank you.  :-+

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2013, 07:31:00 am »
I must be one of the few with no comment at all about Dave's voice. It just seems... normal.

Every time one of my videos gets posted on some other major blog, Hack-a-day, reddit, etc and people see me for the first time, there are always a flood of comments (half of them is common) about how horrible my voice, how they can't stand it, blah, blah, blah. Usually from Americans  ::)

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2013, 12:13:22 pm »
I wouldn't pay them any mind.  You wouldn't be the success you are now had you been different.  I don't think any EE videos from the USA come close to what you've accomplished.  Its brought to light some potential stars, but none are as prolific and international as eevblog.

If there is a need for subtitles, its more for non-English speakers.

Every time one of my videos gets posted on some other major blog, Hack-a-day, reddit, etc and people see me for the first time, there are always a flood of comments (half of them is common) about how horrible my voice, how they can't stand it, blah, blah, blah. Usually from Americans  ::)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 12:15:05 pm by saturation »
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline Excavatoree

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2013, 12:34:01 pm »

From the first EEVBLOG video I watched, I honestly never thought about Dave's voice one way or the other.  When I read the first negative comment, I thought "What?"  Of course, I wonder if having many foreign professors, and now many foreign co-workers had any effect?  Also, my favorite music radio program comes from Australia, so I was a bit used to it already.

I personally am glad everyone doesn't sound the same - even in the US.   Heck, I'm from the Southeastern US, and we get subtitled all the time - for US audiences. 

Offline hammy

• Supporter
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2013, 01:30:44 pm »
If there is a need for subtitles, its more for non-English speakers.

Dave is in 99% very good to understand. Sometimes, at the flea market or with a guest in his lab, I wish there is a subtitle for them.
But Dave's voice is ok. No need for a surgical intervention.  ;)

But the amp hour 135 with mike was not possible for me to hear. Mike's fast english mumble was impossible to understand for me. A transcription would be, in this case, great!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 01:36:31 pm by hammy »

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2013, 04:17:57 pm »
Dave has a good voice, and good clear delivery. The audio he delivers is also good, equal to many radio presenters. I think he has been listening to TWIRT a lot for tips on broadcasting, even if the actual presenters have poor audio a lot ( rather ironic on a show dedicated to quality audio) and choppy connections. A lot of US TV I have had the misfortune to see has subtitles, in English ( or the US version) and subtitles the English speakers ( especially if they are British ( ok you might need that for the Geordies and the Scots) or any other English speaking country) but ironically the Spanish is not subtitled........

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2013, 04:26:28 pm »
A lot of US TV I have had the misfortune to see has subtitles, in English ( or the US version) and subtitles the English speakers ( especially if they are British ( ok you might need that for the Geordies and the Scots) or any other English speaking country) but ironically the Spanish is not subtitled........

Many in the US don't travel much. Sad as it is, it's not completely uncommon for somebody in one state to have some difficulty understanding someone a few states over, just because they're not accustomed to hearing anything but their own local dialect. Not entirely sure why Spanish would not be subtitled, though - in my experience it usually is.

Offline Ferroto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2013, 04:38:40 pm »
the problem isn't Dave talking too fast it's Americans who talk too damn slow. :-DD

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2013, 04:40:37 pm »
True, but we have to talk slowly so you Canadians will understand us.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2013, 04:52:16 pm »
But the amp hour 135 with mike was not possible for me to hear. Mike's fast english mumble was impossible to understand for me. A transcription would be, in this case, great!

Honestly, he's easy to understand, but his mic is.. bad. Really, really bad.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2013, 01:32:11 am »
Aussies speak fast .

Or country NSW! ;D

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2013, 08:32:54 am »
Ja well no fine :)

The first time I heard a white South African english speaker, I was like "What the...? Is he English? Austalian? I can't place the accent!"

There's a youtube channel, I forget the name, with a white South African that does videos on electronics and Arduino stuff, I'm just fascinated by the accent.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 08:35:18 am by Stonent »
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2013, 08:40:11 am »
Aussies speak fast .

Or country NSW! ;D

When I visit my family, I return to the city sounding like I'm running at 33rpm apparently.

iratus parum formica

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2013, 08:54:03 am »
There's a youtube channel, I forget the name, with a white South African that does videos on electronics and Arduino stuff, I'm just fascinated by the accent.
Martin?

https://www.youtube.com/user/mjlorton/videos

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2013, 09:09:39 am »
On a driving tour of USA, a while back, I went off the beaten path in the deep south. Stopped at a Petrol station / Supermarket to
fill up / load up. I couldn't understand a single word from the owner / cashiers, so I yelled out "can anyone here understand me?".
An Irish couple came forward. They had heavy accents, but at least I could work out the gist. So for the next several minutes, it was a
3 way SouthernUSA_English <> Irish_English <> Aussie_English translation chain. Everyone else was peeing themselves laughing, and
had no idea what the other 2/3 of the conversation was. I still chuckle over it.
Hello <tap> <tap> .. is this thing on?

Offline Kremmen

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2013, 09:38:47 am »
A few summers ago we driving around the Highlands in Scotland on a holiday trip. Being a native Finnish speaker i have learned the "Oxford English" in school - works OK in England but not so much up there. What happened we encountered a log rig on a narrow road in the middle of nowhere near Ullapool and being the smaller party had to duck to avoid being run over. Result, a puncture from the rough road curb. Had that fixed in Inverness in a garage where the young bloke doing the job was trying to start a conversation with me. He could understand what i was saying but the return channel was just noise. Didn't understand a single word which was kind of bewildering. Now i have managed even the Welsh dialect which is far from Queen's English, but this was just impossible. My money was good however, so everything ended OK.
Nothing sings like a kilovolt.
Dr W. Bishop

Offline jpb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2013, 10:21:12 am »

The Americans had a bit of a craze on Australian accents when Crocodile Dundee came out. I remember visiting America at the time with my very British accent and being mistaken for an Australian simply because my accent wasn't American. Paul Hogan has a lot to answer for!

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2013, 06:05:39 am »

The Americans had a bit of a craze on Australian accents when Crocodile Dundee came out. I remember visiting America at the time with my very British accent and being mistaken for an Australian simply because my accent wasn't American. Paul Hogan has a lot to answer for!

That and the Fosters commercials "Fust-tas! Ahhstralian for bee-ah!" and Outback Steakhouse with their "Bloomin' Onion"

I guess many of us never realized that actual people lived there, who knew the Kangaroos and Koalas would make room!

My "mum" still has her vintage 80s nightshirt with Garfield the Cat wearing a safari style outfit and captions "G'day Mate!"

Offline victor

• Regular Contributor
  • Boy who writes code and take things apart
    • vitim.us
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2013, 02:26:05 am »
I think his english is pretty clear, I just can't stand videos of Indians speaking english. Also australian english is more alike the american accent than british.
your body is limited, but not your mind

Offline TMM

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2013, 02:52:28 am »
A few summers ago we driving around the Highlands in Scotland on a holiday trip. Being a native Finnish speaker i have learned the "Oxford English" in school - works OK in England but not so much up there. What happened we encountered a log rig on a narrow road in the middle of nowhere near Ullapool and being the smaller party had to duck to avoid being run over. Result, a puncture from the rough road curb. Had that fixed in Inverness in a garage where the young bloke doing the job was trying to start a conversation with me. He could understand what i was saying but the return channel was just noise. Didn't understand a single word which was kind of bewildering. Now i have managed even the Welsh dialect which is far from Queen's English, but this was just impossible. My money was good however, so everything ended OK.
If it's any consolation, often i have no idea what the Scottish are going on about either lol.

Dave is very easy to understand. Quirky/enthusiastic yes, but that is never a bad thing. I still laugh every time he says 'dickhead' or 'retarded'.

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2013, 04:28:28 pm »
I think Monty Python had some excellent observations on what some cultures looked like to others.

What some English look like to non-english. (Well it's more so about banter but still applies I think)

Oh and there's this one

What Australians look like to Germans. (3m25s) (I can't get the time to start correctly, just select the correct time to start)

Monty Python's Fliegender Zirkus - German Episode

And of course, this excellent sketch on what the Americans think the Germans are like and what the Germans think the Americans are like.

And what the Australians look like to the English:

« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 04:48:28 pm by Stonent »

Offline victor

• Regular Contributor
  • Boy who writes code and take things apart
    • vitim.us
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2013, 03:42:35 am »

your body is limited, but not your mind

Offline TheWelly888

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2013, 07:38:04 pm »
Stumbled on this site (http://www.amara.org/en/) via this Reddit thread (http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1seh9h/i_donate_my_time_subtitling_popular_youtube/)

It appears Amara is designed to make it easier for people to add subtitles to YT (and others) videos. Right now I have not had a go yet.

Offline Icchan

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2014, 12:52:25 am »

Yes, it is a massive undertaking, so it's not going to happen I'm afraid.
Same thing with other language subtitles.

Dave.

Hmm... crowd source it! It's quite possible to make the subtitles with many contributors and such... then just put them on the videos. You could even get many different languages to boot :D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf