Author Topic: File formats allowed as attachments?  (Read 7728 times)

Offline LightagesTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
File formats allowed as attachments?
« on: September 12, 2015, 07:33:12 pm »
I just tried to attach an open office format document to a post, and it is not allowed. I am so tired of everyone and everything assuming you paid for or "stole"a copy of Microsoft Office and that is the only format accepted or transmitted. Can we please have open document formats allowed too?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 07:37:51 pm by Lightages »

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
Re: File formats allowed as attachments?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 07:51:27 pm »
libre office allows you to pdf things, perhaps that would be better ? When Dave is around again perhaps he can look at it, or seppy might be able to do it. I also use open document format, even at work, for some reason you set a background on an xls file and then it randonly takes the background off cells so I switched to libre office and od formats. Microsoft office can open them anyway.

Offline MarkF

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 08:02:46 pm »
I always share documents in plain text format or PDF format.  Those formats are always readable by every one.

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 08:07:17 pm »
Sure they are readable. but is it a spreadsheet? Spreadsheets are useful to share too. PDFs are not necessarily editable neither. Txt files have no special formatting for text, graphics, etc.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 08:14:16 pm »
You can of course export microsoft formats from open office suits. I used to run with doc formats and xls until I knew that work's new office 365 can open and edit and save them too. Now it's a no brainer but on sharing outside of my home and work I'd use a microsoft format.

Offline timofonic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eternal Wannabe Geek
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 12:20:48 am »
Exporting sometimes break some stuff. Despite LibreOffice constantly improves file format interoperability, it's very difficult to make it perfect.

.ODS would be nice to get added. .ODT are already supported too.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 04:38:54 pm »
on the other hand unless people are paying an office 365 subscription you are forcing them to install an open office suit. I tend to create in Microsoft formats if I am distributing it. At work I know they can read it and mainly only use it for my stuff.

Offline timofonic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eternal Wannabe Geek
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 12:56:44 am »
- OpenDocument is a real ISO standard ( ISO/IEC 26300) even growing it's use by municipalities and governments.

- OOXML/MSOFFICE is a fake standard (good luck understanding the ECMA-376, ISO/IEC 29500 mess done by perverse reasons).

I use OpenDocument all the time. You can call me insane and zealot if you want, but I had too many bad experiences with Microsoft software.

For general document providing, there's PDF too.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 12:58:25 am by Circuiteromalaguito »

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2015, 05:54:55 am »
I use open formats too, but I'm wary when distributing to others as only the latest office will work with them. At work I know we all have a subscrition to office 365 so I use open document formats and for my preference libre office too. But i know anyone in my company can open them. I only use microsoft for official comoany forms and documents like item lists, because where i work the world falls apart if you do something different.

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2015, 05:58:39 am »
My gripe is that the default should not be to assume everyone has paid for or "stolen" MS Office so as to be able work with files and data. The default assumption is that nobody wants to support a specific commercial enterprise with their money and that a free and open format is preferred.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2015, 06:47:13 am »
yes but some people may have chosen to use microsoft office and want to use it but chosen not to get 365 and so be unable to read open documents. For example if people are at work they may not be allowed to install anything. Where I work I was asked to tell them about anything I installed as they got worried but I duely ignored them.

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2015, 03:20:00 pm »
yes but some people may have chosen to use microsoft office and want to use it but chosen not to get 365 and so be unable to read open documents. For example if people are at work they may not be allowed to install anything. Where I work I was asked to tell them about anything I installed as they got worried but I duely ignored them.

OK, I understand this, but how does this justify PREVENTING some open document formats from being attached to messages on this forum?  :-//

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2015, 04:35:34 pm »
They were not prevented, the others were allowed. When dave is back he can perhaps update the persmissions. Limited file types are allowed to prevent viruses and other security problems.

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2015, 06:27:33 pm »
Actually, to be pedantic, .ods was prevented because it did work before. So I assume its exclusion with some past update was an oversight.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2015, 07:43:36 pm »
I just tried to attach an open office format document to a post, and it is not allowed. I am so tired of everyone and everything assuming you paid for or "stole"a copy of Microsoft Office and that is the only format accepted or transmitted. Can we please have open document formats allowed too?

I do not see what kind of document - is it a spreadsheet?  If so why not Save As to a format supported?  Also by uploading a standard MS format the user can pick their poison.  For example I use Libre to open the multimeter XLS spreadsheet from this forum directly from this forum with no problems (I know it is the other direction).  I believe this would work unless you have heavy macros or VBA.

So my suggestion is to Save As to the Excel 97 XLS version.   If a Word doc, I believe a PDF would be more useful to a user.  I cannot see any useful use for us to have a Word doc formatted file (too many sticky fingers).

YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2015, 08:40:46 pm »
indeed the older MS office formats may be more usable to many and can also be opened in open office native format office suits. I will raise it with the Dave's if your in a rush why not change the extension and put a note in the post of what to change it back to.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2015, 08:42:29 pm »
I do not see what kind of document - is it a spreadsheet?  If so why not Save As to a format supported?  Also by uploading a standard MS format the user can pick their poison.

Because MS formats are not a standard and unforseen breakage may occur when saving to them.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2015, 08:44:14 pm »
They are a standard but a private one not released by microsoft. open document format office suits do a good job of generating MS 2000 formats with no problem unless you have been really swanky with features.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2015, 08:48:56 pm »
They are a standard but a private one not released by microsoft.

That's not a standard.

They do actually have an open, published standard.. which is newer and  has less acceptance than OpenDocument. And their own software fails to implement it properly.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2015, 08:53:14 pm »
which is probably why my spreadsheets loose background colours on cells

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2015, 10:39:24 pm »
I do not see what kind of document - is it a spreadsheet?  If so why not Save As to a format supported?  Also by uploading a standard MS format the user can pick their poison.  For example I use Libre to open the multimeter XLS spreadsheet from this forum directly from this forum with no problems (I know it is the other direction).  I believe this would work unless you have heavy macros or VBA.

So my suggestion is to Save As to the Excel 97 XLS version.   If a Word doc, I believe a PDF would be more useful to a user.  I cannot see any useful use for us to have a Word doc formatted file (too many sticky fingers).

If you want to be an MS supporter and call their format the standard, not much I can say. it is not a standard, it is a proprietary format that they can change anytime and screw up the document translation when they want, without notice.

Offline timofonic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eternal Wannabe Geek
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2015, 12:01:27 am »

Even if this eventually isolate and makes me against all the world, I usually say them to install LibreOffice. It's free and legal or an unrestricted version, not like their Microsoft Office versions.

Maybe that's why I'm unemployed....

Offline apelly

• Supporter
  • Probe
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2015, 12:26:53 am »
I've had trouble with some file extensions too. Specifics escape me, but I think kicad extensions are banned too.

Offline timofonic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eternal Wannabe Geek
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2015, 12:55:44 am »
I've had trouble with some file extensions too. Specifics escape me, but I think kicad extensions are banned too.

I think Dave does a great work, but maybe he needs to relegate more responsability to reliable and trustworthy people too.

These things about extensions drive me a bit crazy, but I'm a bit OCD ;)

Offline mcinque

• Supporter
  • I know that I know nothing
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2015, 04:06:24 pm »
Look at my previous post about the risks for the domain authority if some attachment contains malicious macro or code.

I guess Dave is doing his job to live, earning from sponsors and all the great services/pages he offers on this domain, and I seriously believe the last thing he deserves is to have his domain automatically reported as malicious site because a wrong attachment gets indexed by Google.

Forums are not disallowing some extensions just for fun or without reasons, this is going on since almost two decades because some risks... Sorry, but I must agree with the forum policy about attachments.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf