Author Topic: Fundamental Fridays  (Read 4075 times)

Offline notaroketscientistTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Always willing to take a lesson
Fundamental Fridays
« on: February 19, 2015, 05:24:41 am »
I am starving for more teaching based vids.Dave's style of breaking down the deeply theoretical into practical comprehension and application is worth a fee. He constantly demonstrates the principle attribute of an expert; no ego just info. Too often what others pass off for teaching is an exercise in self-engrandizement and results in frustration and misdirection of curious minds.  The blog will continue to grow if you build the future by teaching the people training now to inhabit it. Teach and they will come.

My $.02 and worth just what you paid for it.
There are sharper knives in the drawer. I am trying to get a finer edge on mine.

Offline obiwanjacobi

• Frequent Contributor
  • What's this yippee-yayoh pin you talk about!?
    • Marctronix Blog
Re: Fundamental Fridays
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 07:49:45 am »
Me too!

I would love to see more fundemental friday vids.

Also I love the video's where Dave shares a bit of his vast knowledge on design. Anything, schematics, PCBs, cases, testing, production tips - all good.
Arduino Template Library | Zalt Z80 Computer
Wrong code should not compile!

Offline ShreveCC

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 12:51:21 am »
Yes, Dave is awesome at teaching... no complex explanations with BS bias, "cosmic wave" energy theory, and a 7 page calculus math problem that proves a remote possibility by mathematical means could it be true.  :-+
Complexity is simple; when you have a complex mind - Just adjust your Sample Rate for others to measure your thoughts clearly.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 03:22:11 am »
I've said this many times, the aim of the blog has never been as a teaching/educational channel.
And as for more FF videos, yes they will come as the mood takes me, but as I've said before:
a) They don't get the same reception or views as my other more general interest videos
b) And a good proportion of feedback on any FF video is people asking "can you do xxxxxxx", i.e. no feedback on the current one I just did, as it seems people like the concept but aren't entirely happy unless I do the exact topic they want.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 07:02:11 am »
I've said this many times, the aim of the blog has never been as a teaching/educational channel.
And as for more FF videos, yes they will come as the mood takes me, but as I've said before:
a) They don't get the same reception or views as my other more general interest videos
b) And a good proportion of feedback on any FF video is people asking "can you do xxxxxxx", i.e. no feedback on the current one I just did, as it seems people like the concept but aren't entirely happy unless I do the exact topic they want.

Excellent, since there are far too many people producing educational videos without the passion to make them interesting.

I'd much rather have a small number of good items (of anything whatsoever) than a larger number of mediocre items.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline obiwanjacobi

• Frequent Contributor
  • What's this yippee-yayoh pin you talk about!?
    • Marctronix Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 08:18:09 am »
@Dave I respect the fact that you need to keep "your business going". I just wrote what I like most in the hope that if you had to make a choice you would perhaps favor the option I like best. Can't blame me for trying, right?  ;D

Anyway, you should do what you feel is the best for your channel. All we can do is ask and hopefully by asking extracting the answer from you...  :P
Arduino Template Library | Zalt Z80 Computer
Wrong code should not compile!

Offline smjcuk

• Frequent Contributor

Offline notaroketscientistTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Always willing to take a lesson
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 08:52:32 pm »

I gotta respect your point of view. I had no idea they weren't more popular.

It would be wasted oxygen consumption without your interest and passion so follow your mood. I am grateful for what you produce. The op amp videos were priceless and the motivation for my financial support. Classes would have cost much more and mostly fruitless exercises of listening to someone who would rather be somewhere else or worse some "expert" charging me to demonstrate how much math he knew. Were I younger I would have moved to the land down under, scrubbed toilets, and hauled water and whatever else need be to learn.
There are sharper knives in the drawer. I am trying to get a finer edge on mine.

Offline apis

• Super Contributor
  • Hobbyist
Fundamental Fridays
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 04:26:19 pm »
Fundamental fridays are among my favourites as well! The series on microphones and preamp design with Doug Ford was just brilliant. Real shame they aren't more popular.

I can see why teardowns and mailbag episodes and such has a more general appeal though since anyone can get something out of that no matter what skill level you're at.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 05:20:35 pm by apis »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf