Author Topic: High end design package like Altium  (Read 5550 times)

Offline zaptaTopic starter

• Super Contributor
High end design package like Altium
« on: March 11, 2014, 04:15:01 pm »
Most of us do not have access to high end packages like Altium but nevertheless these packages are often mentioned in these forums.

Would be interesting to have a vblog that explains/demonstrates what features high end design packages provides beyond the common eagle/kicad/diptrace. It's like learning about the Pagani even though I don't see one in my future.

Offline DerekG

• Frequent Contributor
Re: High end design package like Altium
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 12:45:53 am »
Would be interesting to have a vblog that explains/demonstrates what features high end design packages provides beyond the common eagle/kicad/diptrace.

Where does one start?

For example Altium Designer:

Extensive libraries of many 100,000 of parts listed by manufacturer.
Extensive cross probing back & forth between schematic & PCB.
Ability to set up extensive rules for placement of tracks, components, pads, polygon pours etc etc.
You can modify absolutely EVERYTHING on your PCB on EVERY layer.
Netlisting, Autoplacement & Autorouting will make you productive (once you're over the steep learning curve that is).

But (in my view);

It is not nearly as intuitive as Protel 2.8/3.0 or CircuitMaker 2000 Pro or Circad or Diptrace.

How do you make a decision on which software to use?

When the software you are using now does not do what you want it to do, or it is too slow at performing all the tasks you require because it requires so much input from you ................ then perhaps it is time to trade up to something more powerful.
I also sat between Elvis & Bigfoot on the UFO.

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
  • Learning, very new at this. Righteous Asshole, too
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 12:55:26 am »
what about those of us that pirated it, were put off by the near complete lack of parts then swore off Altium forever?

Altium sucks ass.

Offline joelby

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 03:53:03 am »
what about those of us that pirated it, were put off by the near complete lack of parts then swore off Altium forever?

Altium sucks ass.

That's probably because all of the modern parts are in the Altium Vault thingy, which I presume you can't get to without a valid subscription.

Offline MatCat

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 03:57:40 am »
Altium Vault Smault, It takes less then a minute to setup any standard IPC part, which covers 95% of most parts you are going to use, and even complex parts are pretty easy to do.  I love Altium, I used eagle before it and there are many many aspects about it that blow eagle away, the time saved with 3D alone is worth it, and there are many other factors besides 3D.

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 03:58:00 am »
Yup.  I know why I couldn't get the parts, and fair enough if they make the parts subscription only, I guess.

It left me with a bad taste in my mouth anyway, and I won't ever be buying anything Altium, most likely.  I'm not going to download a trial so I can discover that I actually like the software just in time for the demo to expire.  I can't afford to buy it, and I don't want to feel the rug being pulled out from under me while I stand on it.

So, pirate version uninstalled, and the virtual machine shut down.  Toodles, Altium, I barely knew ye.

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 04:12:08 am »
Altium Vault Smault, It takes less then a minute to setup any standard IPC part, which covers 95% of most parts you are going to use, and even complex parts are pretty easy to do.  I love Altium, I used eagle before it and there are many many aspects about it that blow eagle away, the time saved with 3D alone is worth it, and there are many other factors besides 3D.

Yeah I know it doesn't take long but mehhhhh.  Having something to start with at all would have been pretty dope.  I don't nkow.  I'm very tired and not thinking clearly.  Maybe I'll give it another shot.  Maybe I'll kick it in the teeth and delete the VM.  Both are equally likely.

Offline gxti

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 04:49:59 am »
There used to be a place on their wiki where you could download the parts libraries, not sure if it's still there. I honestly never found them particularly useful.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 04:51:18 am »
That's probably because all of the modern parts are in the Altium Vault thingy, which I presume you can't get to without a valid subscription.

Correct. Altium last publicly released their library in about 2009 or something (and "froze" it at that). All latest updates are through subscription. AFAIK, no one has bothered to pirate those yet?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 04:52:21 am »
There used to be a place on their wiki where you could download the parts libraries, not sure if it's still there. I honestly never found them particularly useful.

http://techdocs.altium.com/display/ADOH/Download+Libraries

Offline Prime73

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2014, 05:14:53 pm »

[
For example Altium Designer:

Extensive libraries of many 100,000 of parts listed by manufacturer.

yeah, right... I've thought so too: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/altium/where-to-get-components-footprints/

Offline rbs_phoenix

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 12:44:11 pm »
I would like to see a video about "What can expensive or professional (or High-End) EDA-Software better than free/cheap ones" too.
For example Multiple Track routing, differential pair routing, lenght tuning and so on.

It would be cool to see some other Software than Altium (OrCad, PADS, ...).

Correct. Altium last publicly released their library in about 2009 or something (and "froze" it at that). All latest updates are through subscription. AFAIK, no one has bothered to pirate those yet?

Yes. I got the 30day Trial-Version of Altium 14, and when you activate your account in the software (the 30 days Trail starts then), you can log in at Altium Live and their Vault Content too. In that 30 days, I downloaded every Library and Template Designs (for example PCI-Board-Templates) they have uploaded. But I don't have one of the new Libraries they uploaded after my Trial was over.

Offline DerekG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2014, 10:36:40 pm »
I got the 30 day Trial-Version of Altium 14. In that 30 days, I downloaded every Library and Template Designs. But I don't have one of the new Libraries they uploaded after my Trial was over.

So one assumes this was a wasted effort now that your trial is over.
I also sat between Elvis & Bigfoot on the UFO.

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2014, 10:48:05 pm »
[pedant]

Altium isn't a high end system, Mentor and Cadence are high end systems, being able to do extensive performance analysis of the layout, including IC layout

[/pedant]

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf