Author Topic: I Don't Like the "New Kid"  (Read 17786 times)

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
Re: I Don't Like the "New Kid"
« Reply #75 on: November 29, 2017, 07:38:13 am »
Unfortunately it is human nature to judge by appearance/presentation but intelligent people know better. How many youtube video's are they that have thumbnails involving an attractive lady despite the particular scene depicted having minor relevance to the whole content or being in the content at all....... Unfortunately most unintelligent people have not figured it out yet and blunder through life making one ill judgement after another.

The following users thanked this post: hans

Offline cgroen

• Supporter
    • Carstens personal web
« Reply #76 on: November 29, 2017, 07:46:01 am »
The irony of this is that people are judged by how they look and speak and act.

It happens every single day.

Is that wrong?  Some may argue "Yes" and others "No" while there will be a middle ground of "It depends".

Is that fair?  Sometimes it is quite unfair, no doubt about it.

The real question is: "Is it relevant?" - and here we venture into the subtleties of human behaviour.

I am well aware that there is an exceptionally wide range of personalities - and that the following illustration is by no means a universal truth - but it does occur ... and far more often than will ever be admitted.

If you were to have a face-to-face meeting with someone who weighs an unattractive 200Kg, you wouldn't be so bold as to make an issue of it - and you would look past it, as social protocols dictate, to not offend.  If you were to have a subsequent discussion about that meeting, you would still be mindful of social courtesies.  In both these situations, you would discipline yourself to "behave" and in so doing, you would benefit.

However, if you were to start watching a video in the privacy of your own home with someone who's voice or appearance irks you, it only takes one simple click to close a window ... and doing so has zero social implications.

Certainly, such a judgement could well be a really bad one as the content may have been perfectly suited to the watcher - and they will suffer from the loss of that knowledge - but this sort of decision process happens all the time.

Agree Brumby! But, my hope is that "we" as "technical nerds" hopefully has a tendency to be able to look away from these things and focus on the information and technical aspects that are being presented, no matter if the presenter has red hair or blue nails. Its the content that matters.
What the OP did was very very far away from good behavior in my book!

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #77 on: November 29, 2017, 07:54:22 am »
quite, but unlike some people we like to give the benefit of the doubt while being entertained  :-DD

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #78 on: November 29, 2017, 08:18:47 am »
Hmmm. I must have missed both the doubt and the entertainment.

He was allowed to go on for a bit longer than really he should have and despite attempts to reason he was hilariously obstinate over things that have no relevance at all. What he said was not funny but his ability to not see the wood for the trees was hilarious.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #79 on: November 29, 2017, 08:22:24 am »
Agree Brumby! But, my hope is that "we" as "technical nerds" hopefully has a tendency to be able to look away from these things and focus on the information and technical aspects that are being presented, no matter if the presenter has red hair or blue nails. Its the content that matters.

That is my hope as well.

... but the blue nails might be pushing it   ;)

Offline cgroen

• Supporter
    • Carstens personal web
« Reply #80 on: November 29, 2017, 08:23:48 am »

That is my hope as well.

... but the blue nails might be pushing it   ;)

Yeah, I immediately knew I was going over the line there  :-DD

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #81 on: November 29, 2017, 09:16:05 am »
my my what a mess. Well that is sir banned, end of the show I think.

I thought "oh, you banned him, really?" and then I read past the first page were he just couldn't help himself dig his own grave :palm:

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #82 on: November 29, 2017, 09:21:10 am »
Well I hope David takes heart in the support for him voiced here! It must be intimidating really considering Dave has chucked him in the deep end by publishing his vids on a channel with many thousands of subscribers who are used to his own inimicable style :)  On the other hand, you have to grow a thick skin to survive so it's all good experience. I'm sure David will just get stronger through the experience.

To be fair, David doesn't really want to make videos, it's not his thing. But often he's working on something or we talk about something and then I say, "hey, you should make a quick video about that" (because that's what I do), and what pops out is the result.
So yeah, he's been thrown in the deep end, but that's why he's paid the big bucks ;D
Part of the job description is to make occasional videos, just to get some extra content on the channel. It was an experiment to see if people liked it, and I asked this in the last survey and a majority said they didn't mind.

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #83 on: November 29, 2017, 09:54:42 am »
I think David's preference of not being in the lime light was clear at the beginning although I expect it was hoped he would slowly gain confidence. If he can produce extra content and explore other areas I like to see that as his interests add more range and the mechanical is becoming more relevant.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #84 on: November 29, 2017, 09:55:01 am »
Is that wrong?  Some may argue "Yes" and others "No" while there will be a middle ground of "It depends".

This reminds me of some engineering students I had in the lab to interview me (one of them snapped that Wikipedia photo of me), and they had an assignment-thingy with questions about being judged in the work place. It was mostly about gender (of course, in today's climate), but I had to explain to them that is but one small thing of a whole host of stuff you might potentially get judged on in the real word whether you like it or not, whether it's fair or not, or whether it's even legal or not. Knowledge, educational background, enthusiasm, attitude, accent, speech, political bent, religious persuasion, looks, mannerisms, assertiveness or lack of, personal hygiene and grooming, body posture, any number of psychological traits, and an endless number of other things.
Welcome to the human race.

The following users thanked this post: ErikTheNorwegian

Offline ErikTheNorwegian

• Frequent Contributor
  • Asberger, aspi, HIGH function, nerd...
« Reply #85 on: November 29, 2017, 10:52:03 am »
This is right. I have personally felt how to be judged by appearance. Before, on two legs  and today in a wheelchair. The people that knew me before my accident mostly treat me like before. But now, when I meet new people, example in a restaurant, sometimes the waiters address my wife, and ask what I want. Once I was in a restaurant, the waiter said, “you know that you got top pay for the food you order.. It’s not free”.  Or they shout into my ear, as if its like that i`m hard of hearing, sitting in the chair. Its my legs, not my hearing.  Just got to smile and let it pass. I learnt, that people that judge other that way, are often people that I would not have as friends. And besides, they must have bigger problems that my disability gives me. Disability, diagnoses, is to be found on different levels for us all. They are more or less disguised or covered by different ways of adapting and learning. We as humans are not perfect in any ways. It’s just about acceptance. Between people and all the quirks we all got more or less visible for others.
I`m following other bloggers in the same field as EEVBLOG, and some of the bloggers are ex Russians, German’s with a rather hard to follow accents and pronunciations..  But for me it’s all about the message. 

But that’s just my opinion..
Erik
/Erik
Goooood karma is flowing..

The following users thanked this post: TheWelly888, hans, cgroen, jpc

Offline Dubbie

• Supporter
« Reply #86 on: November 29, 2017, 11:18:03 am »
....Once I was in a restaurant, the waiter said, “you know that you got top pay for the food you order.. It’s not free”.  Or they shout into my ear, as if its like that i`m hard of hearing,....

[emoji46] I hope you have stored up some really acerbic responses for these situations!

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #87 on: November 29, 2017, 11:26:07 am »
indeed, I find it very annoying that my local police force has a motto that "being you is not a crime" but then goes on to qualify what "being you" is and it's basically race or religion only. People generally want to feel included, so basic bullying is to find something that sets them apart and point it out no matter how irrelevant it is.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 11:43:08 am by Simon »

Offline ErikTheNorwegian

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #88 on: November 29, 2017, 11:38:28 am »
....Once I was in a restaurant, the waiter said, “you know that you got top pay for the food you order.. It’s not free”.  Or they shout into my ear, as if its like that i`m hard of hearing,....

[emoji46] I hope you have stored up some really acerbic responses for these situations!

Oh yes!  I try to remember the funny ones..
I was in a elevator, a woman with a baby in a stroller and a child around 4-5 years beside came in. The child looked at me, and then up on its mother and asked "Momy, is that a stroller for grownups!
The mother turned pink!
Isaid to the child.. "yes my wife would strongly agree!"

I have a IT/EE company and do a lot of different things, and i got one of Scandinavia’s biggest suppliers ALSO, or i did go , not any more. Normally every year we got a invite to their "product presentation and party" at a hotel. Some hours with news and education, and a good dinner and free drinks after. As normal i replied on their invite that came in a E-mail. Went online as usual filling out that i was interested to attend. After a while, the date was nearing, I noticed that I was removed from the seminar. I phoned and asked why, surly there had to be anything wrong, “Yes, we have got an hint that you are in a wheelchair the man said.. we have no room for a person in a wheelchair”  Stopped my business with them immediately from then.

Erik
/Erik

Offline imidis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #89 on: November 29, 2017, 11:48:32 am »
To be fair, David doesn't really want to make videos, it's not his thing. But often he's working on something or we talk about something and then I say, "hey, you should make a quick video about that" (because that's what I do), and what pops out is the result.
So yeah, he's been thrown in the deep end, but that's why he's paid the big bucks ;D
Part of the job description is to make occasional videos, just to get some extra content on the channel. It was an experiment to see if people liked it, and I asked this in the last survey and a majority said they didn't mind.

Deep end indeed!  >:D

But don't let it discourage you all. I think it's most down to what interests someone. I have skipped even your videos if I don't find the topic interesting at the moment, but I've caught myself going back when it was more relevant to me to watch them and I'm extremely appreciative they exist.

I just don't understand why some people won't just skip what doesn't interest them.

I'm still not used to David, but if it interests me it doesn't really matter.

That said, more mailbags!  :-DD
Gone for good

Offline Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90 on: November 29, 2017, 12:38:43 pm »
This is right. I have personally felt how to be judged by appearance. Before, on two legs  and today in a wheelchair. The people that knew me before my accident mostly treat me like before. But now, when I meet new people, example in a restaurant, sometimes the waiters address my wife, and ask what I want. Once I was in a restaurant, the waiter said, “you know that you got top pay for the food you order.. It’s not free”.  Or they shout into my ear, as if its like that i`m hard of hearing, sitting in the chair. Its my legs, not my hearing.  Just got to smile and let it pass.
Just put a plaster cast on one leg. People will treat you way differently.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #91 on: November 29, 2017, 03:47:16 pm »

This reminds me of some engineering students I had in the lab to interview me (one of them snapped that Wikipedia photo of me), and they had an assignment-thingy with questions about being judged in the work place. It was mostly about gender (of course, in today's climate), but I had to explain to them that is but one small thing of a whole host of stuff you might potentially get judged on in the real word whether you like it or not, whether it's fair or not, or whether it's even legal or not. Knowledge, educational background, enthusiasm, attitude, accent, speech, political bent, religious persuasion, looks, mannerisms, assertiveness or lack of, personal hygiene and grooming, body posture, any number of psychological traits, and an endless number of other things.
Welcome to the human race.
Fortunately I had the opportunity to learn not to do that early in my career. About 2 decades ago the boss announced a new EE intern who was somehow related to him and he would come over for an introduction. A couple of days later: lot's of boom-boom-boom noise outside coming from a car. The new intern just announced himself loud and clear. He came in with a hat on and made a very uninterested impression. At that point I had very little hope he would be able to start -let alone finish- the internship project I had lined up for him. That first impression couldn't be further off. After he started the guy quickly proved to be very bright and actually good at electronics even though it wasn't his hobby. Needless to say he 'stuck around' when he finished school.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #92 on: November 29, 2017, 07:10:48 pm »
unfortunately we instinctively run on appearances and impressions. This is really why as a society we are in a mess. Does a politician get elected based on their actions or what they say. I continually here on the news about how well one politician did in a debate versus another, this was nothing to do with their version of what the problem is and how to solve it but how well one came out versus the other, ie which one was the victorious bully, it's maddening and it goes right across society.

I used to do a weeks volunteering at a centre for disabled people for rotary. the idea of the centre was to show people that their disability did not have to limit them. At the end of the week the "district govenor" comes up for a couple of days basically to pat everyone on the back and see how well spent the grant money was. The idea is that they spent at least a day visiting the different sites and watch activities take place and have a go themselves sometimes. One year the district governor was someone i already knew and her husband has something like MS if i recall, anyway he is mobility scooter bound. I get the impression she does not think much of her husband despite the fact he is perfectly all there and i always make a point of talking to him if i see them going around, he is often left in a corner on his scooter as a "burden" at large events. So they came to my team which that day was about to set off on a little canoe trip across the lake. She and her guide got out of the car, left her husband on his scooter and came across the beach to us to do the usual's. I was not really happy that he had been abandoned, sure it was a pebble beach and it posed a challenge but this organization and week was all about breaking down barriers for disabled people and putting them in boats, over cliffs and anywhere they would go without bursting into tears. So in disgust I went over to him, I knew there was a nice study rope in the mini bus we had just come in, I wrapped it around the front of his scooter and part lifting the front dragged him across the beach to the group without too much trouble and told them off for abandoning him when the whole point of the exercise was to help disabled people live a full life and break down barriers for them, oh but then he was not an official customer !!!!

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
I Don't Like the "New Kid"
« Reply #93 on: November 30, 2017, 02:32:19 am »

You know, I never really liked NKOTB that much either. I could never see what all the girls at school were swooning over. (Except for Donnie Wahlberg. He’s OK!)

Now the Backstreet Boys? That I could get into!

This thread is now about your favorite boy bands. Discuss.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 02:33:56 am by timb »
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94 on: November 30, 2017, 05:12:36 am »

This thread is now about your favorite boy bands. Discgusst.

FTFY :)

Damnit. I wasn't going to post in this thread.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #95 on: November 30, 2017, 06:03:13 am »
Damnit. I wasn't going to post in this thread.

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #96 on: November 30, 2017, 07:36:52 am »

This thread is now about your favorite boy bands. Discuss.

Really? since when?

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #97 on: November 30, 2017, 07:47:11 am »

Some people will not send food back at restaurants and instead will not return. Which is better? It is hard to say until you hear the reaction of the chef. If he comes out and tell you you are wrong and gets all defensive then you know not coming back is the best course (deliberate pun ;) ). If he takes your feedback on board then you helped him maintain and improve standards.

I just leave a bad review if they have taken the piss. for example i once visited a "greek" restaurant and picked the stuffed squid, this was claimed to be stuff with seafood. What I got was a couple of prawns and then lots of seafood/crab stick (flour with fish protein). Well I said nothing, but left a damming review. What is the point in pointing out to someone you know they have ripped you off? They are relying on passing trade and will never change, so simples, make sure anyone else going there is forewarned.

Offline ErikTheNorwegian

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #98 on: November 30, 2017, 10:53:13 pm »
This is right. I have personally felt how to be judged by appearance. Before, on two legs  and today in a wheelchair. The people that knew me before my accident mostly treat me like before. But now, when I meet new people, example in a restaurant, sometimes the waiters address my wife, and ask what I want. Once I was in a restaurant, the waiter said, “you know that you got top pay for the food you order.. It’s not free”.  Or they shout into my ear, as if its like that i`m hard of hearing, sitting in the chair. Its my legs, not my hearing.  Just got to smile and let it pass.
Just put a plaster cast on one leg. People will treat you way differently.

Yes, it would.. :)
But as i see it, they are more handicaped than me..just its not their legs that dont work right, but their head!
So, in light of that, it would be wrong of me to not treat them with paitience and understanding as such..

Erik
/Erik

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #99 on: December 01, 2017, 08:49:45 am »

Yes, it would.. :)
But as i see it, they are more handicaped than me..just its not their legs that dont work right, but their head!
So, in light of that, it would be wrong of me to not treat them with paitience and understanding as such..

Erik

Nicely put. When I used to do my volunteering I mixed quite well with people as I never talked down to them and treated them as equals and was as silly as they would want to be like going off and using stones in a tiny stream to step on to get across instead of the bridge provided, it meant they could follow my lead and do what they wanted to do anyway. I'm sure my team had more fun than the other teams.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 09:50:06 am by Simon »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf