Poll

What type of Multimeter shootout would you like to see next?

A new $100 Meter shootout?
76 (39.4%)
$200 (or more?)
52 (26.9%)
Pocket Multimeter
14 (7.3%)
5 1/2 Digit meters
37 (19.2%)
Other
14 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 172

Author Topic: Is it not time for another multimeter shootout yet?  (Read 68217 times)

Offline LightagesTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
Is it not time for another multimeter shootout yet?
« on: January 17, 2013, 12:14:23 am »
Based on the all the talk still happening on the forums about multimeters, perhaps its time for an updated shootout(s).

Maybe a clamp meter shootout? Pocket meters? Higher range meters in the $200 -$250 range?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 12:19:04 am by Lightages »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: Is it not time for another multimeter shootout yet?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 12:26:31 am »
Probably!
But I look forward to editing that about as much as getting teeth extracted  :scared:
There was a pocket meter shootout on the cards, and a list compiled on the forum somewhere. I think it got past 10. I never got around to actually acquiring most of them though.
There is always need for an updated $100 meter shootout, as that seems to be the magic figure.

What would people's "Top 5" sub $100 meter list be these days?

If we could get a consensus on the likely best value top 5 meters, then I'll get them and make it happen.
I'd like to deliberately exclude any known crap ones.
Any new shootout I would like to keep much shorter than previous ones. Very brief side-by-side comparisons of each main feature. Like the teardown being say 1 minute commentary on each meter.

Dave.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 12:57:38 am by EEVblog »

Offline jnd

• Regular Contributor
    • Personal stuff
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 01:13:24 am »
Is the Agilent U1231A still going for $99? With free Bluetooth adapter and possibly the calibration certificate? No current range but still pretty good, can't think of other really solid meter for that price.
Wannabe volt-nut, slowly hunting solid meters with low budget.

Offline dr_p

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 01:19:39 am »
There is always need for an updated $100 meter shootout, as that seems to be the magic figure. What would people's "Top 5" sub $100 meter list be these days?

Amprobe AM-270
Brymen BM867
Klein Tools MM2000

Offline Spawn

• Frequent Contributor
  • ³²µ º'ºººº³²
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 01:58:12 am »
There was a pocket meter shootout on the cards, and a list compiled on the forum somewhere. I think it got past 10. I never got around to actually acquiring most of them though.
Here Dave, this is the list:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/most-compact-high-quality-multimeter/msg68284/#msg68284

I like pocket meters, I believe I got 6 of them a shootout would be nice indeed.  I would love to see around 200 dollar range meters too, but at the end everyone wants different price range or type so I am happy with any multimeter shootout  ^-^

Edit:
I am very interested in UEI DM5B pocket multimeter for a while now because of it is current range till 5A and detachable test leads. Maybe I should stop buying every Fluke or Gossen second hand when I see them for a decent price and get the UEI DM5B  ::)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 02:13:20 am by Spawn »

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 02:37:19 am »
I realize it can go a few dollars over $100, but perhaps the Fluke 17b would be worthy of inclusion in that group.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 02:50:36 am »
I realize it can go a few dollars over $100, but perhaps the Fluke 17b would be worthy of inclusion in that group.

Yep, I agree. And I already have one.

Dave.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 03:15:54 am »
Amprobe AM-270
Brymen BM867
Klein Tools MM2000
No way the Brymen BM867 is $100.  Franky was listing it on ebay for $285 USD.

Klein Tools MM2000 is basically a UEI which Dave did in the $100 shootout.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/klein-tools-mm2000-multi-meter-review/

Offline CHexclaim

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 04:28:46 am »
Hi, I recently bought a Instek GDM-396 under $100

It is a mixture of good and bad. I was dissapointed at first but then seems reliable.
Maybe it is a unit that Dave can use to show exactly this, what is good and what is bad about it.

I made a hack with a switch in the battery compartment so that I can turn off RS-232 output. As a consequence, the auto-sleep mode starts working.

And the way you turn the back light on is just incredibly wrong. As I understand it is the way it was designed in the chipset. This reminds of some comments on why a low cost Fluke, which I don't recall the model now, didn't have backlight. I think it uses the same chipset. And it would be inadmissible for a Fluke to have this way of operation.

Well, 2:30 am here, good night everyone. Good morning Dave!!

CH!

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 06:23:16 am »
Amprobe AM-240  $90USD
Agilent U1231A $100USD, sometimes
AXIOMET AX-176 $90USD, no idea who or what this is, just found it in the price range.
BRYMEN BM815A  $105USD
BRYMEN BM907    $100USD

Just some ideas. The problem as I see it with selecting a $100 shootout is that there seems to be a clear winner without even starting the war. IMHO, yeah right me humble, the Amprobe AM-270 beats everything in the $100 price range, and maybe even up to $170. The only things that I have seen that might make people pause is the backlight and its size and no frequency counter. If I were buying my first multimeter I would be buying this one. But that is what shootouts are for, to sort out the differences.

I would still prefer to see a shootout in the pocket, or clamp meter, or $200-$300 range first. There hasn't been much that has changed in the $100 class since the last one. Maybe having another shootout with a new crop of different meters could be informative though.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 07:42:22 am »
I've added a poll.

Dave.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 07:44:51 am »
Maybe having another shootout with a new crop of different meters could be informative though.
I would prefer to see Dave review a different batch of manufacturers not covered in the previous $50 and $100 shootout.

There is a lot of interest in Brymen so the Amprobe AM-270 or its variations would be a good candidate. 

Dave wants to do the Fluke 17B so that is two.

Maybe something from Japan like a Yokogawa or Hioki in the $100 range?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 07:49:43 am »
There is a lot of interest in Brymen so the Amprobe AM-270 or its variations would be a good candidate. 

Is the Amprobe a rebadged Brymen?

Dave.

Offline iloveelectronics

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 08:43:22 am »
I believe so. From the specs I think it's a rebadged BM817a, except that the Amprobe doesn't have the USB data logging.

Dave.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 08:46:23 am by iloveelectronics »
My email address: franky @ 99centHobbies . com
My eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/99centhobbies

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 08:44:24 am »

Dave.

Your honor, may I present the following pictorial exhibits A, B and C.  Namely, Amprobe AM-270, Brymen BM817a and Greenlee DM820.

http://content.amprobe.com/HighResImages/am-270.jpg

http://brymen.com/product-html/cata810a/BM810a_Catalog.pdf

http://www.1stplacesupply.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/3/3/332-dm-820_1.jpg

Amprobe, from the little I know, doesn't seem to do any "engineering" or "design".  The 34XR you reviewed in the $100 multimeter shootout was a Meterman product.  Many of the Amprobe offerings seem to be from Brymen or APPA Tech OEM.  This is ironic seeing how Fluke competes against some of the same products but in different manufacturer's clothing.

edit: Apparently, Franky in HK, has faster Internet speeds than Canada.  His post beat me by one minute.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 08:49:55 am by retiredcaps »

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2013, 08:56:29 am »
And if you are thinking of doing a 500,000 count multimeter shootout, you will basically be doing a review of one multimeter in various clothing/skins.  See what I posted on Martin's site

http://mjlorton.com/forum/index.php?topic=111.msg699#msg699

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2013, 09:04:01 am »
Your honor, may I present the following pictorial exhibits A, B and C.  Namely, Amprobe AM-270, Brymen BM817a and Greenlee DM820.
http://content.amprobe.com/HighResImages/am-270.jpg
http://brymen.com/product-html/cata810a/BM810a_Catalog.pdf
http://www.1stplacesupply.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/3/3/332-dm-820_1.jpg

Yep, same heritage, but different cases, and hence likely different PCB designs inside?
Which one to include in any shootout?

Amprobe, from the little I know, doesn't seem to do any "engineering" or "design".  The 34XR you reviewed in the $100 multimeter shootout was a Meterman

That's because Fluke actually bought both Amprobe and Meterman.
They kept the Amprobe brand as a seperate line, and the Meterman meters were rebranded as Amprobe.

Dave.

Offline iloveelectronics

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2013, 09:14:17 am »
Dave,

If you're going to do a $200+ meter shootout I'd like to offer to send a Brymen 521 / 525 for you to look at. Martin had a review on the BM-867 and there have been a few reviews and teardown on that and the 869, but not too many people seem to be aware of the 520's series. They are 10,000-count, dual display, data logging capable (both via USB and with internal memory). Difference between the 525 and the 521 is only the internal memory size and dual temperature measurement on 525 while 521 doesn't do temp.

http://www.brymen.com.tw/product-html/cata520/Bm520L2.htm
My email address: franky @ 99centHobbies . com
My eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/99centhobbies

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2013, 09:19:13 am »
Yep, same heritage, but different cases, and hence likely different PCB designs inside?
Picture of Amprobe AM-270 from FenderBender teardown post

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/teardown-amprobe-am-270-digital-multimeter/?action=dlattach;attach=16622;image

I have a Greenlee DM-820 and included a picture of mine.  Yes there are differences.  Mine came with pre-blown fuses (seller tried to pull a fast one on me).

Offline tld

• Regular Contributor
    • Personal Website
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2013, 10:12:39 am »
Another shootout would be appreciated.  While I don't have a full list, I'd like to just quickly mention two things.

First is that the basic question most seem to have is something along the lines of:

"If I were to buy a multimeter, that's not crap, and I won't regret not shelling out an extra couple of bucks to get a better one, which should I buy?", or perhaps "Without compromising, which multimeter offers the best value for money, and doesn't miss anything I'll miss?", or even "What can I buy without regretting?  Either because I needlessly spent too much, or miss features or quality".

I think people are looking for an answer to that kind of question, and that's probably more important to them than which exact price-point they find their answer at.

Could be worthwhile to get a bit loose on the $100-mark, both up and down?

When that's said, I'd like to mention the Uni-T UT61E.  It seems to be that a lot of people have it, and are happy with it.  Perhaps more so than any other single sub-$100 multimeter.  If nothing else, that does make it a bit of a benchmark, and it could be interesting to see it included in the test.  Call it a reference if you'd like. ;)

Also, I'm betting a lot of people *will* follow your words, both wisely and otherwise. ;)
(and I'm betting you won't bet against it... recurse that if you'd like...)

For that reason as well, including the UT61E would be interesting.  I'd hate to see droves of people rush off to get a $100 meter, if they'd be happy with a $50-ish one, or buy a single $100 meter, when they'd be better off with two $50 ones.

(disclaimer; I do own a UT61E as well, but that's not why I'd like to see it included.  Sure, it's always fun to see reviews of stuff you bought, but I'm looking specifically for something different for my next one, so I'm not asking for me, I'm asking because it's a pretty decent choice for your first decent-quality meter.  Personally I'd like backlight and a couple of other things though).

tld

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2013, 01:24:59 pm »
For those interested, the Brymen DM867/869A models are also branded as Extech (MM560A/570A respectively) as well as the Greenlee models listed in another thread. Might be worth considering for the $200+ category IMHO, if Dave decides to go this route.

Hope this helps anyone that's interested.  :)

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2013, 01:47:28 pm »
I second what tld says in regard to Uni-T 61E.

I have it, I may be a bit biased, but anyway.

Perhaps the price cutoff is a bit incorrect. Maybe the cutoff should be around $75 and $150. The dollar is not as "valuable" as it was in the last test.

If you put a meter like the $55-60 Uni-t 61E in comparison to any $50 meter, it will probably win, but put it in contest with meters up to $100, it may not be noticed (the more expensive ones having better protection etc).

Also, I realize you don't have so much time anymore but I'd really rather you make a thorough review instead of 1 minute teardown and all that, like you said. I don't know, make it a two part or a three part?
A lot of people will point other people to these videos as guides for buying a proper meter and I'd rather see quality and in-depth analysis than something rushed.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 01:54:24 pm by mariush »

Offline Spawn

• Frequent Contributor
  • ³²µ º'ºººº³²
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2013, 04:50:23 pm »
For those interested, the Brymen DM867/869A models are also branded as Extech (MM560A/570A respectively) as well as the Greenlee models listed in another thread.

Nice you mentioned that, I am getting a MM570A from Extech it is already shipped out from US to me after this:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/teardown-extech-ex570-my-first-but-also-last-extech/
I have high expectations about this meter, so we will see how it is.

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2013, 05:43:01 pm »
One item missed in the poll, clamp meters!

I think that if a $100 shootout is going to be done then out of all the Brymens and Brymen "rebrands" then the Amprobe AM-270 is the right price for many people. The Brymens with the same specs go much higher than $100.

If a $200+ shootout is going to happen then the Brymen BM86X has been discussed very much already and reviewed in detail  by Martin Lorton. In that case it might be useful to review the BM857a as another model in a more traditional shape. I was thinking specifically for a $200-$300 range for that shootout because there are a few real alternatives to the $400+ Flukes and Agilents.

If you do a $200+ shootout:
Brymen BM869, or BM857a, Ignore the Greenlee and other rebrands as they cost 2x -3x as much
UEi DM397
Extech EX570A  (leaves a bad taste in my mouth right now even suggesting Extech  :o )
Any Agilent that fits the price
Any Fluke that fits the price

In any case it might also be a good idea to review/inspect and comment on each meter's compliance to its labelled CAT ratings and the safest limit of use of the meter based on its actual construction regardless of its rating.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 05:44:33 pm by Lightages »

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2013, 06:32:08 pm »
For those interested, the Brymen DM867/869A models are also branded as Extech (MM560A/570A respectively) as well as the Greenlee models listed in another thread. Might be worth considering for the $200+ category IMHO, if Dave decides to go this route.

Hope this helps anyone that's interested.  :)

Correction. The BM85X series is the equivalent of the Extech MM560A/570A, but the prices are certainly not equivalent!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf