Author Topic: Open a discord channel for EEVblog  (Read 12746 times)

Offline mdszy

• Supporter
  • somehow has an ee degree
    • szy.io
Re: Open a discord channel for EEVblog
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2018, 12:57:34 am »
https://discordapp.com/channels/441027249177886722/441027249630740490

If that's meant to be an invite link, it doesn't work. Click on the "create instant invite" button next to a channel in the channel listing to make a link people can use to join a server.
somehow allowed to be a Pixie Wrangler in Training
eBay Store | My site | Hackaday.io Projects | my mastodon.technology profile

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2018, 12:59:53 am »
I used it once, its was, meh.
What's the point if the (correct me if I'm wrong) the chats aren't permanent and searchable?
Most of it ends up dribble anyway, just look a the comments on my live video chats.
The chats are definitely searchable. I'm not sure for how long, but they definitely can be searched. And it's not like IRC is searchable unless you have a bouncer and keep logs of everything that happens.

IRC is just as crap.
Bottom line is I'm not going to spend time chatting/posting to something that could just vanish. And no one wants to search though mindless and endless chat windows.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2018, 01:00:31 am »
https://discordapp.com/channels/441027249177886722/441027249630740490

If that's meant to be an invite link, it doesn't work. Click on the "create instant invite" button next to a channel in the channel listing to make a link people can use to join a server.

https://discord.gg/qGMhKbq

Offline mdszy

• Supporter
  • somehow has an ee degree
    • szy.io
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2018, 01:02:18 am »
What's the point if the (correct me if I'm wrong) the chats aren't permanent and searchable?
Most of it ends up dribble anyway, just look a the comments on my live video chats.
The chats are definitely searchable. I'm not sure for how long, but they definitely can be searched. And it's not like IRC is searchable unless you have a bouncer and keep logs of everything that happens.

IRC is just as crap.
Bottom line is I'm not going to spend time chatting/posting to something that could just vanish. And no one wants to search though mindless and endless chat windows.

I think that putting so much emphasis on search is kinda missing the point of a Discord chat. In-depth, technical discussion that is meant to be searchable in the future absolutely still belongs on the forums, but discussing things in more shortform is what Discord is meant for.
somehow allowed to be a Pixie Wrangler in Training
eBay Store | My site | Hackaday.io Projects | my mastodon.technology profile

Online VEGETATopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • I am the cult of personality
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2018, 05:08:14 am »

IRC is just as crap.

I think that putting so much emphasis on search is kinda missing the point of a Discord chat. In-depth, technical discussion that is meant to be searchable in the future absolutely still belongs on the forums, but discussing things in more shortform is what Discord is meant for.

I feel you are the only one who truley understands me xD.

Discord (or IRC) is not about searching and archiving at all but for direct real-time conversation of like-minded people on a certain topic. Simple as that.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2018, 06:36:36 am »
Discord (or IRC) is not about searching and archiving at all but for direct real-time conversation of like-minded people on a certain topic. Simple as that.

In that case you can count me out. Like I said, I'm not going to spend time chatting that could otherwise be spent creating permanent searchable content.

The following users thanked this post: Jacon

Online VEGETATopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • I am the cult of personality
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2018, 07:02:23 am »

In that case you can count me out. Like I said, I'm not going to spend time chatting that could otherwise be spent creating permanent searchable content.

What is wrong about having a direct chatting room? it is for those who want it, which is not a substitute of the forum.

You should not put content in it, that wasn't the purpose. However, you can chat with others in different topics and try to answer some questions directly and so on.

You all have an idea that it is gonna be a substitute of the forum and it is meant for archiving purposes... which is not.

If you don't want to hang out there too much, it is ok. Just create the channel and invite people here on forum. Then you could appoint mods who take care of the server and its internal channels. After that, everything goes smooth for ever.  :-+

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2018, 07:10:25 am »
What is wrong about having a direct chatting room? it is for those who want it, which is not a substitute of the forum.

it's there ,join it if you like.

You should not put content in it, that wasn't the purpose. However, you can chat with others in different topics and try to answer some questions directly and so on.

You don't get it.
I don't even have enough time create my own content, let alone chat to others.
At least responding on the forum builds up my own forum, and isn't really time wasted.
Chatting on some discord server and answering question on there adds no value.
The same thing if you email me with a technical question, I have had to set an automated response for that telling people why it's better to use the forum.

If you don't want to hang out there too much, it is ok. Just create the channel and invite people here on forum. Then you could appoint mods who take care of the server and its internal channels. After that, everything goes smooth for ever.  :-+

I've had a Discord channel for like 6 months now, knock yourself out.

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2018, 07:50:41 am »
Edit: crap just realised I’m an old guy. And I haven’t had a mid life crisis yet. Any suggestions?

Stick with the classics. A motorcycle worked for me.

The following users thanked this post: jancumps

Offline ttelectronic

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2018, 08:00:31 am »
I have to agree, it's not worth the investment of time. And it's even more frustrating when a paid product keeps chasing the "new thing" in communication. In theory it sounds great but it's just not practical and adds to the workload to keep it up. It really killed off another community I was a part of. Discord is great for gaming, but for general use, I don't find it that great.  :-//

The following users thanked this post: nugglix

Offline petert

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2019, 10:35:55 pm »
Well, sorry to tell you, but if you just realized you are an old guy, then you're having a mid life crisis. That's the exact definition of it.
Mid-life is middle aged, not old. Realizing you are old and having a crisis is also not the same, rather it shows you never cared, and now realize an unimportant fact.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf