Author Topic: Tools and procedure of making a video  (Read 3406 times)

Online VEGETATopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • I am the cult of personality
    • Thundertronics
Tools and procedure of making a video
« on: April 01, 2018, 11:12:54 pm »
Dear Sirs,

I suggest an updated version of this: https://usesthis.com/interviews/dave.jones/

It is to be made into a video showing the entire process and especially how Dave gets the audio very clear. I myself use Audacity's function (noise reduction) and also use a nice external mic and get good results, but not like latest EEVblog stuff.

Best regards,
VEGETA

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
Re: Tools and procedure of making a video
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 12:47:12 am »
Why no one is interested!?

I would like to know Dave's equipment to get this high quality videos and especially audio. I think it would be perfect video for us... a little bit different than usual.

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 07:05:23 am »
I looked at one of your videos. You are doing quite well. I don't think you need better equipment. It may be more convenient to use but your current camera and microphone seem to do the job fine.

Which one?
I know my equipment are good but generally I like to ask about future enhancements even if they are very far... It is a bad habit.  :palm:

To tell you the story, here is my current "lab": https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/whats-your-work-benchlab-look-like-post-some-pictures-of-your-lab/msg1456377/#msg1456377

I currently live in a shared room inside company compound with another guy (+ 2 others at the next room). Next year my training will be finished and will be granted an official contract, then if I got married (which I will  :box:), I could get a whole house for myself and the Saiyan princess who will be my waifu.

These houses are only one master bedroom + one spare bedroom for fresh families, or 2 rooms for families with kids. So getting that one room is guaranteed but I cannot use it as a lab because my future kid will arrive sooner or later  :-DD

So my only option is the garage, which is what I asked about in a different topic here. Returning to our topic... I will eventually make a small lab in the garage (hopefully confined in glass walls to prevent outside noise) which will be the only solution. Then, I would make the final setup.

It would be nice to plan for future xD. My current situation is hard since I cannot record the way I want, I can only record when the guy is not here, as well as, the others. I find time to record but not as I want. Plus, the room is not usable if I want to make a white board stuff or even lighting...etc.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 08:42:02 am »
I looked at one of your videos. You are doing quite well. I don't think you need better equipment. It may be more convenient to use but your current camera and microphone seem to do the job fine.
What Dave does is have strong even lighting and that might be where you could make some changes. Not that your current setup is bad. I think it is where you might get more bang-for-buck improvement. Concentrate on the white balance, focus, exposure and framing. If Dave used your camera I doubt anyone would notice.

From another thread, if it's the Panasonic 770 then correct, you wouldn't notice any difference at all.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 08:44:47 am »
I would like to know Dave's equipment to get this high quality videos and especially audio. I think it would be perfect video for us... a little bit different than usual.

I use the internal mic in the camera, set the audio level to manual, and try to keep a consistent distance. I barely have to touch the audio in the editign program, just the off level reduction or gain here or there if I get too excited and loud, or too far away from the mic because I'm at a different angle looking at or adjusting some bit of gear or something.

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 11:01:04 am »
Since you have watched my mailbag #2, how much you rate it from 10?

I am interested to see if you people could understand my English properly without that weird Arabic-English accent some of us have. I see ElectroBOOM speaking fluently (unlike me who say "ahh" "umm" a lot!) but his accent is not good but still gets +1M views each video. His comedy and high voltage shorting of himself are more important than what he speaks as it seems.

Getting the "natural" speaking ability is vital for this as I think, I wonder how will I achieve it. Even Dave himself was so bad at it in his beginnings.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 12:42:46 pm »
Since you have watched my mailbag #2, how much you rate it from 10?

Comments:
- Audio is fine, speech is fine and quite listenable
- Pacing is fine
- Lighting is a bit to "harsh" IMO, like you have studio lights that are too close pointed right at it. The key is using diffuse lighting bouncing off walls etc
- Framing is a bit too tight, I'd pull back the zoom a bit.
- I really don't like videos shot in this "looking down" approach, it just seems unnatural to me. Personal preference of course. I have mine at maybe a 45deg angle, i.e. you would see what I see if you were sitting at a bench opening something.
- Seems like you have auto white balance on, colours look wrong at some points.

But basically you are doing just fine.

I am interested to see if you people could understand my English properly without that weird Arabic-English accent some of us have. I see ElectroBOOM speaking fluently (unlike me who say "ahh" "umm" a lot!) but his accent is not good but still gets +1M views each video. His comedy and high voltage shorting of himself are more important than what he speaks as it seems.

ElectroBoom is popular for more than his comedy, his phrasing is really good, mannerisms and expressions are really personable, and he explains things very well. Doesn't matter how funny you are if you aren't appealing in other ways.

Getting the "natural" speaking ability is vital for this as I think, I wonder how will I achieve it. Even Dave himself was so bad at it in his beginnings.

I still suck at it.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 12:44:25 pm by EEVblog »

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2018, 12:55:13 pm »
- Lighting is a bit to "harsh" IMO, like you have studio lights that are too close pointed right at it. The key is using diffuse lighting bouncing off walls etc

This won't change since it is fixed in ceiling.

- Framing is a bit too tight, I'd pull back the zoom a bit.
- I really don't like videos shot in this "looking down" approach, it just seems unnatural to me. Personal preference of course. I have mine at maybe a 45deg angle, i.e. you would see what I see if you were sitting at a bench opening something.

I tried 45 degrees but didn't get it right, so I went back to this. Putting the Manfrotto flexible arm on a tripod then the camera (+ ball head) on top creates lots of weigh which forces me to put weight on tripod base to secure it.

My next move is to get a manfrotto clamp and fix it on the shelves in front of me... this way probably could get better shots overall. It is kinda similar to your idea in a certain video mentioning these items. I already have 2 150x30cm wooden shelves fixed to the wall, it could do the job.

- Seems like you have auto white balance on, colours look wrong at some points.

I didn't adjust anything so yes. I will begin to learn these stuff.

ElectroBoom is popular for more than his comedy, his phrasing is really good, mannerisms and expressions are really personable, and he explains things very well. Doesn't matter how funny you are if you aren't appealing in other ways.

Yes he is creative in his own way. No one can do the same.

I still suck at it.

No.
You speak naturally without stress unlike episode 1 for example. Me as an Arab will suffer more since it is not my mother tongue language.

As you said, I must appeal to the viewers. Good speech abilities are a must IMO. You would not watch a new video knowing the speaker is boring and a bad talker... while you look forward to those who have such abilities as they add extra... since most people can explain ohm's low.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf