Author Topic: Show a beginner why and how to use oscilloscope.  (Read 7719 times)

Offline TeljemoTopic starter

• Contributor
  • Hi. visit my site to see my projects =)
    • Workshop projects
Show a beginner why and how to use oscilloscope.
« on: October 19, 2014, 08:29:18 am »
Everybody is using oscilloscopes.
I cant afford one right now but i have a friend who placed hes in my electric corner..

But i want to use it.. i don't know how and why..
read that its great to find faulty circuits and such..

cant find any good guides for first time beginners..
i would love to see an episode that makes me understand why and how i NEED the oscilloscope and that makes me dependent of it in the future :)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: Show a beginner why and how to use oscilloscope.
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 08:34:41 am »
I've had a few request for this now, so I think I might do something along these lines.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 08:57:09 am »
But i want to use it.. i don't know how and why..
read that its great to find faulty circuits and such..

The starting point is to understand that a scope shows how a voltage varies over time.

If, and only if, you can interpret the significance of the voltage correctly, you can find out what is happening inside a circuit. If you understand how a circuit ought to be behaving then you can compare it with how it is behaving - and possibly understand what is/isn't working.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 08:59:19 am by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

• Contributor
    • Workshop projects
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 05:33:13 pm »
Sound great.. Looking forward for it :)

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

• Contributor
    • Workshop projects
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 07:12:35 pm »
Good reading.
But no one can explain it like Dave on the vlog ;)

Offline Philbywhizz

• Contributor
    • Philbywhizz
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 04:34:01 am »
Hello,

My First post (been lurking a bit), and this thread got my attention. :)

I have recently got the 'bug' in getting back to electronics again (after about 20 years of hiatus) and I have even obtained a little 10Mhz 1 channel analog scope to help with my re-learning.

I consider myself a beginner (self taught).

I would love a video on how to use a scope for simple stuff and what kind of things you can do with it.

Perhaps a few simple example circuits to hook up to show different things (I built a quick astable 555 circuit and they went to see if I could see the square-wave output, and I did!! (it was awesome to see and achieve that). I then threw in some caps on the output to see if I could smooth the pulses out. Changing out different components an seeing and measuring the effect on the scope (and not just looking at a blinking led) was quite educational! But I'm hungry for more!

Cheers,
Phil.

• Contributor
    • Workshop projects
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 06:52:51 am »
I haven't got that far yet.. compared to me Philbywhizz your an engeneer  :-//

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 08:31:26 am »

Philbywhizz has the right idea: try something, make mistakes, make new mistakes.

The secret of success
Is simple to express
To err
and err
and err again
But less
and less
and less
(Piet Hein)

The major mistakes you should avoid are touching a high voltage, putting too high a voltage across the scope input (e.g. switching off current flowing thorough a motor or inductor), and earthing the wrong point (or worse, disconnecting the earth).

Dave has a video w.r.t. earthing the wrong point; see http://www.eevblog.com/2012/05/18/eevblog-279-how-not-to-blow-up-your-oscilloscope/

Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline Philbywhizz

• Contributor
    • Philbywhizz
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 11:36:53 am »
Thanks for that, but if I'm an engineer then this board is full of Einsteins! :)

The major mistakes you should avoid are touching a high voltage, putting too high a voltage across the scope input (e.g. switching off current flowing thorough a motor or inductor), and earthing the wrong point (or worse, disconnecting the earth).

Dave has a video w.r.t. earthing the wrong point; see http://www.eevblog.com/2012/05/18/eevblog-279-how-not-to-blow-up-your-oscilloscope/
Yes, that is a great video. After watching it I was feeling more confident on using my scope, and safely so I wouldn't 'blow it up'. Maybe in the future I'll upgrade to a Rigol once the confidence builds, but for now this one allows me to learn and play.

I don't intend on playing around with any mains or high voltage systems - I'll leave that to the real engineers. I'm only interested in low voltage (microcontrollers and digital circuits), and most of those would be battery powered (or via a 'floating' (is that the correct word?) power supply).

Because of this I'd be keen on how to use an analog scope for working with digital circuits (and is it possible?).

Offline ServiceXp

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 09:54:37 pm »

Philbywhizz has the right idea: try something, make mistakes, make new mistakes.

The secret of success
Is simple to express
To err
and err
and err again
But less
and less
and less
(Piet Hein)

Unfortunately I don't think he mentions transformer less power supplies.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2014, 11:07:56 pm »

There are also many other things he doesn't mention in that video.

Offline ServiceXp

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2014, 11:14:33 pm »

I figured as much;  can you share some?
 I only mention it (as it pertains mostly with power supplies) as I recently made that mistake [emoji27]

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2014, 08:43:07 am »

I figured as much;  can you share some?
 I only mention it (as it pertains mostly with power supplies) as I recently made that mistake

It would be dangerous for me to make a few off-the-cuff remarks where personal safety is concerned. I might express myself poorly, not mention something that is obvious to me (but not to you), etc, - and you might hurt yourself.

A good starting point is the websites of reputable oscilloscope manufacturers. They have many pdf documents about why their equipment is the way it is, and how to use it. Tektronix is particularly good , as is HP/Agilent/Keysight.

Have a look at 

You definitely can use a scope to look at digital signals, but you will need to be aware of the relationship between time and frequency, and of probing techniques.

The information below is probably more advanced than you need at this stage. It is a cut-and-paste of something that I have told other people in similar circumstances.

A key point is that for digital circuits a good strategy is to:
  • first use a scope to ensure the really-analogue-but-interpreted-as-digital signals are clean (i.e. good power and signal integrity), being careful of the way the scope and probe interact with the circuit
  • then debug digital problems in the digital domain, using logic analysers, or single stepping through your code, or using printf logging statement

For RF circuits, you probably want to avoid using scopes:
  • for RF signals: spectrum analysers have a much more appropriate noise linearity and dynamic range specifications
  • for RF components: vector & network analysers have similar advantages
but scopes are more useful when looking at the demodulated signals or simple power envelope.

Remember the key equation for scopes and probes:
    trisetime = 0.35 / bandwidth      (e.g. 3.5ns <=> 100MHz, and the fundamental frequency/period is irrelevant)

In an ideal world you would have the scope's risetime sufficiently short that it can capture the fifth harmonic of the signal's risetime, e.g a 500MHz scope+probe for a 3.5ns signal risetime; in practice you can usually infer what's happening using a lower bandwidth scope.

Rules of thumb for signals and suitable probes, but remember that rules can be broken:
  • audio frequency analogue <-> croc(k)-clip or *1 probe
  • <50MHz analogue or low-speed digital <-> *10 probe
  • RF <-> 50ohm coax or very expensive active probes
  • digital  <-> 500ohm low-impedance Z0 probe, or very expensive active probes, (or *10 probe)
  • special purpose  <-> differential probes, high voltage probes, current probes
N.B. you can't make your own *1 or *10 probe, but you can easily make your own 500ohm low impedance Z0 probe; see below.

Scope safety:

And for probe fanatics:

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2014, 03:37:17 am »
Let's not forget  w2aew excellent tutorial on the beginners forum:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/oscilloscope-training-class-(long)/

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf