Author Topic: Suggestions Thread 0  (Read 21073 times)

Offline Teque5Topic starter

Suggestions Thread 0
« on: October 14, 2009, 04:47:47 pm »
Just to start:

0. Describe your top 10 workbench tools.
1. Be a guest on the http://www.theskepticsguide.org/ and talk about audiophile cable pseudoscience. They have a large audience that would likely be interested. You would generate a ton of traffic for your vidblog and I think they might be interested.
2. Cover some [recent] clever hardware hacks:
2.1. How the original GB ROM got dumped by decapping the chip holding it and reading out the values with an Electron Microscope (two thirds down the pge, the post by nevikisti from Wed, 05/18/2005 - 10:26). Thread itself deals with how they tried to dump the SNES DSP1 chip, but ultimately failed to do so. They were still able to dump the ROM though. http://www.cherryroms.com/forums/copier-and-hardware-forum/manually-extracting-rom.html?page=2
2.2. How to dump the Color GB ROM: Costis was able to dump the elusive boot ROM from the Gameboy Color by using various voltage and clock glitching tricks. The boot ROM is what initializes the Gameboy hardware, displays the 'GAMEBOY' logo and animation, and makes the trademarked 'cling!' sound effect. Even decapping the CPU had failed previously, but now the boot image and specifics on how it was dumped (along with many photos) are available for download. This was just completed and a cool read. http://www.fpgb.org/?page_id=17
3. More tool reviews!

Offline Neilm

• Super Contributor
Re: Suggestions Thread 0
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 07:14:30 pm »
I would like to see a blog on safety of multi-meters. There have been a couple on cheap meters and the reliability (or lack thereof) but neither of these mentioned any safety aspect. During the course of my work, I have seen the results of a cheap meter with a 600V CAT III rating meeting a surge of the correct voltage on a 600V supply. It was the first time I had seen a meter explode...
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Albert Einstein
Tesla referral code https://ts.la/neil53539

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 08:39:40 pm »
I would like to see a blog on safety of multi-meters. There have been a couple on cheap meters and the reliability (or lack thereof) but neither of these mentioned any safety aspect. During the course of my work, I have seen the results of a cheap meter with a 600V CAT III rating meeting a surge of the correct voltage on a 600V supply. It was the first time I had seen a meter explode...

That's on the cards, assuming I can get/build an appropriate HV surge generator. I'm acquiring meters for a "multimeter destruction" episode!

Dave.

GeekGirl

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 12:47:39 pm »
Hi,

I would like to see some blogs on DIY Test Equipment, like the uCurrent, PSU's etc.

I was also wondering if it was possible for "Guest" Presenters, have other people submit Vblogs to you for posting (could increase the number of blogs per week with hardly any time needed by Dave)

Offline 74HC04

• Contributor
  • Lifetime Electronics Nerd and full-time EE.
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 10:18:55 pm »
I was also wondering if it was possible for "Guest" Presenters, have other people submit Vblogs to you for posting (could increase the number of blogs per week with hardly any time needed by Dave)

I really like this idea, especially if the content undergoes a little light moderation (only to ensure quality of submissions remains acceptable and relevant). Just my 2p worth but it'd be nice to see the EEV blog become a "one stop" video blog for quality EE videos, perhaps separated from Dave's own content?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 01:51:35 am »

I've been thinking about this since very early on. It is a "blog" after all, and most blogs usually just link to and comment on other useful stuff on the net. But up until now I've not really been running it like that, as I've just been generating and posting only my own video content. So nothing to stop me posting links to other useful stuff others have done.
I'd limit it to videos I think, as this is of course a video blog.
What do others think of this? Would it be ok to "pollute" my original content with other submissions?
Ideas on the best way to implement this?
i.e. I keep my original episodes going as-is, but post other interesting videos or content in between as well?

I currently host my videos on my YouTube channel and also a lower res version locally on my server for the benefit of those who watch via iTunes and other players. So if I linked to just an existing YouTube video, these people won't get the benefit of that, they'd have to come to the site and watch the embedded link, or jump to YouTube.

I wouldn't like to pollute my Youtube channel with others peoples videos, so any "submissions" would probably have to be already hosted on YouTube or another embeddable player.

Feedback please...

Dave.

Offline Mastro Gippo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 06:53:01 am »
Well, usually if someone wants to do a technical video and publish it he has already his own website/blog. There are other websites devoted to collect people's work from all over the net (hackaday, hacked gadgets, etc) and I strongly prefer an all-Dave blog.
It's just my opinion, of course...

Offline johnnyk126

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 06:34:56 am »
Workbench... Professionals know what they need. They make money on this and they have it to spend on quality stuff because it will pay off.

But what beginner can do? Limited budget is a big problem. Limited space and wife unhappy about every new "piece of junk you bought" is even more problematic :D There is a lot of possible options to spend money. What equipment is worth buying. What is essential, useful and especially what is piece of useless crap (to get signal generator or not, second/third multimeter or save for scope). What can be easily replaced by DIY bench stuff (like esr meter, power supply, micro current, basic signal generator). Spend money or build yourself? Hunt for older units with (usually) one purpose or hunt for deals like multimeter with frequency measurement, capacitance, inductance (like UNI-T UT70A, about $60-70, probably a lot better than nothing) to replace bulky old stuff with one small unit. Old equipment is usually heavy, so you can spend on shipping big portion of budget and equipment with multiple purposes can save money.

Is it possible that by not saving every penny we can get a better stuff? Example? I can buy decent old scope for about $200. But... Or is old, maybe (or soon to be) broken, not too many useful features like automatic measurements, big, heavy (shipping charges). For digital I may need additional logic analyzer, another big box (or maybe small $100 usb unit, but then computer is required, you don't have one on your bench :D).

Or maybe it is better to get new Rigol scope? DS1052E is about $400 right now. One compact unit, warranty, factory tested, new product smell, easy to move, easy to sell if I don't want to do this anymore or I saved for something better :D

Can digital scope like this be used as some channel limited logic analyzer? Serial buses are very common, so I probably won't need a lot of channels. Amateur without strict design requirement can replace parallel bus part with serial bus one. Rigol has deep memory, but how deep is it really in practical usage (debugging I2C or SPI or IR remote codes :))? Is scope with limited sample memory also capable capturing longer digital sequences or only deep memory unit? I can find ton of videos where they connect the probe to calibration output or signal generator, they put sine wave and play with some measurements. Unfortunately nothing helpful in terms of practical equipment usage. I believe that some samples of practical usage will be helpful to choose between different options on limited budget and to know what is useful and when. I can find pictures of amateur workbenches with many combinations of equipment, but do I need stuff they have? Maybe I can get something different. Can something be done simpler, nicer, cheaper or stick to old tested stuff... When I finally get the staff how to use it, how to use it in unusual way.

Workbench stuff is important :D Mention workbench stuff as frequently as scope glitches :D

Your capacitor tutorial was great. More stuff like that as well. Mention places to get knowledge or project ideas/solutions. Books, datasheets, websites. Some interesting projects to make. Maybe spend few seconds to show some interesting parts, what they do, some common solutions for different applications.

Offline KuchateK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 08:56:16 pm »
More oscilloscope stuff and equipment reviews. Show us interesting DIY equipment or useful stuff that is a lot cheaper to build than to buy (like PSU).

Offline Teque5Topic starter

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 10:49:21 pm »
Speaking of O-Scope reviews: check this out. An $89 Portable oscope.
http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/beta-testmicro-digital-storage-oscilloscopedso-nano-p-512.html

Unfortunately it only has 1Mhz analog bandwidth. Still cool though.

Specs:
Specification
Display   2.8? Color TFT LCD
Display Resolution   320×240
Display Color   65K
Analog bandwidth   0 - 1MHz
Max sample rate   1Msps 12Bits
Sample memory depth   4096 Point
Horizontal sensitivity   1uS/Div?10S/Div (1-2-5 Step)
Horizontal position    adjustable with indicator
Vertical sensitivity    10mV/Div?10V/Div (with ×1 probe)
0.5V/Div?10V/Div (with ×10 probe)
Vertical position    adjustable with indicator
Input impedance   >500K?
Max input voltage    80Vpp (by ×1 probe)
Coupling   DC
Trig modes   Auto, Norma, Single, None and Scan
Functionalities:   Automatic measurement: frequency, cycle, duty, Vpp, Vram, Vavg and DC voltage
Precise vertical measurement with markers
Precise horizontal measurement with markers
Rising/falling edge trigger
Trig level adjustable with indicator
Trig sensitivity adjustable with indicator
Hold/run feature
Test signal   Built-in 10Hz?1MHz (1-2-5 Step)
Waveform storage   SD card
PC connection via USB   as SD card reader
Upgrade    by bootloader via USB
Power supply   3.7V Chargeable Lithium battery / USB
Dimension (w/o probe)   105mm X 53mm X 8mm

Offline KuchateK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 09:32:30 am »
MP3 player converted into scope? :D

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 12:11:08 pm »
More oscilloscope stuff and equipment reviews.

I've got some Gossen multimeters already in the mail for review, plus a brand spanking new Fluke meter just released on it's way for review in a few weeks :)

Dave.

Andrew

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 05:06:14 pm »
Regarding Gossen multimeters compared to cheap multimeters, here is what Gossen has to say about cheap multimeters http://www.gossenmetrawatt.com/english/seiten/cautiondangerousmultimeters.htm - Including a video of a burning meter. A related video is at http://gps.sozialnetz.de/global/show_document.asp?id=aaaaaaaaaaaakar

Let's see if Dave can spark the same flames :-)

Offline armandas

• Frequent Contributor
    • My projects
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 07:52:47 pm »
I've got some Gossen multimeters already in the mail for review, plus a brand spanking new Fluke meter just released on it's way for review in a few weeks :)

Your videos just can't come out soon enough! :)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 07:57:00 pm by armandas »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 09:14:53 pm »
Regarding Gossen multimeters compared to cheap multimeters, here is what Gossen has to say about cheap multimeters http://www.gossenmetrawatt.com/english/seiten/cautiondangerousmultimeters.htm - Including a video of a burning meter. A related video is at http://gps.sozialnetz.de/global/show_document.asp?id=aaaaaaaaaaaakar

Let's see if Dave can spark the same flames :-)

That's on the the to-do list!
I'm having trouble finding info on the exact test pulse conditions used to get that result, might have to actually ask Gossen.
They are also supposed to be sending me a couple of old meters to destroy too  ;D

Dave.

Andrew

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2009, 09:40:40 pm »
I'm having trouble finding info on the exact test pulse conditions used to get that result, might have to actually ask Gossen.
Following the links I think some version of IEC 60010-1 and IEC 61010-031 were the base for the testing.

Offline Neilm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2009, 08:45:40 pm »
Following the links I think some version of IEC 60010-1 and IEC 61010-031 were the base for the testing.

IEC61010-1 is the general requirements for test and measurement equipment. -031 is the requirements for test leads. As I can't see a CAT rating on either instrument or video I can't tell you what the correct surge requirement would be. I can say I have seen the results of a very cheap meter (CAT III 600V) having a 4kV spike on 400V supply. It took out the lab circuit breaker (60A) and blew the plastic window over the display about 2 ft away from the instrument.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Albert Einstein

Offline Dago

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronics blog about whatever I happen to build!
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2009, 04:17:15 pm »
I'd like to see practical real world stuff on op-amps, like how to select an op-amp for some certain application or how the real world op-amp parameters (offsets, slew-rates, whatever) affect stuff and in what kind of application you need low slew rate or low offset etc.

Op-amps are an interesting topic (to me at least) because in theory as ideal components they are very simple but in practice they are quite complicated and hard to do stuff "right" with them.

Btw. what is the allowed avatar or posted image size on the forum?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 04:25:45 pm by Dago »
Come and check my projects at http://www.dgkelectronics.com ! I also tweet as https://twitter.com/DGKelectronics

Offline Veramacor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2009, 10:47:48 pm »

Might I suggest a review of digital power supplies?   Newbies as myself would benefit.   I have a 3A Radio Shack and a 20A Astron, both 12 Volt, but those in the market for more control of their voltages and current would find a review on the subject I'm sure quite useful.

V

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2009, 12:14:15 am »

Some poking around pointed me to IEC 61508 part 5, but finding a download seems next to impossible without paying a few hundred $$$  :(

Dave.

George

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2009, 11:02:47 am »
Hi Dave,

It's been great following your blog. Lots of good stuff. :)

As I was just replacing my printer cartridge today in my printer (Epson R210) as I have done hundreds of times before, I realized I had never actually looked inside one of them. I know it has a little chip on it, which I presumed was detecting when it was empty. So today I attacked it with a stanley knife to see what makes the cartridge tick. It was pretty interesting what was inside the cartridge .... well anyway what I was getting at, why not pull one or two of them apart in your blog? ..... right I'm off to try to figure out how to clean up this mess off my hands and the table from a supposedly 'empty' cartridge that the printer reported it could no longer use.

Offline Neilm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2009, 09:24:03 pm »

Some poking around pointed me to IEC 61508 part 5, but finding a download seems next to impossible without paying a few hundred $$$  :(

Dave.

Multimeters are not covered by 61508 - that relates to safety in process control. They are covered by 61010-1 "   Safety requirements for electrical equipment for measurement, control, and laboratory use".  The range of tests include misconnections (for example attaching the meter to the maximum volts when it is set in current mode) physical damage (dropping large steel ball from 1m onto it) and surges to test overvolts protection systems. (600V CATIII would be 6kV surge I think). Part 031 details the requirements of the test leads.

Neil

Offline XynxNet

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2009, 03:22:30 pm »
I wish you would make a blog about top quality analog multimeters, Dave.
During my work in my physics institut I often had to argue against the opinion that cheap digital multimeters are more precise.

Offline Neilm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2009, 06:35:27 pm »
Can you still get true analogue multi-meters? Most I have seen recently appear to be a digital system driving a movement.
Mind you, thanks to the European Union I belive these are now classified as machines so have to meet the machinery directive.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2009, 09:40:56 pm »
Can you still get true analogue multi-meters? Most I have seen recently appear to be a digital system driving a movement.

Yes, Triplett for example still make them.
I've got a Triplett 630NA
http://www.triplett.com/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=57

Dave.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf