Author Topic: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project  (Read 3407606 times)

NETeagle and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline rddube

• Regular Contributor
Re: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project
« Reply #4675 on: April 14, 2018, 12:26:12 am »

You saved me from bad troubleshooting then. By the way i was wondering if its possible to simulate the 128X64 LCD used in this device as a VSM proteus project.
I looked for it into the web but no luck. It would be nice approach to this thread.

Not too sure what you mean by VSM proteus project, but maybe someone else on the board may be able to answer.

Offline jakeisprobably

• Regular Contributor
    • Upcycle Electronics
« Reply #4676 on: April 14, 2018, 08:00:50 pm »
So after a long flu induced hiatus with near death ER run in a speedy box with large hello world flashy LED's on top... and lots of prescription meds.... I'm starting to bounce back and play with stuff again.... I have to catch up on 20+ pages here too ;)

Attached is a bit of extra motivation for me to follow through. These are my basic "out of the box" clone mods so far.
 Both the AY-AT and "little-t" have-
1.) Dual display mount configurations
2.) Fully broken out
       -ATmega328 pins for programming, testing and/or expansion
       -crystals
       -voltage reference
       -voltage regulator
       -ZIF socket
The Little t has-
  1.) variable cap for it's crystal
  2.) additional screw terminals for the extra pinouts not included with most kits.
The AY-AT has-
  1.) sense resistors broken out on pin headers with a set of the original 1% resistors, matched 5%, and 0.1% resistors from Mouser.
  2.) Rotary encoder broken out
LCR T3/T4 has-
  1.) Programming port broken out
  2.) Extra mounting hole/standoff w/5 standoffs added
  3.) Headphone Jack added for clip on test leads
  4.) Double Pole 4 terminal Calibration switch
  5.) Broken out ZIF socket

Also in the picture there are two 9 volt wall warts. One is configured with a 9 volt battery adaptor that includes a diode for reverse polarity protection, and a power indicator LED. The other adaptor is unmodified but is intended to be used with a capacitor multiplier circuit that is shown attached.
  So far the AY-AT's firmware as shipped sucks. The Little t has it's act together much better out of the box as does the T3/T4 although the latter does not have the menu setup or much else. It's basic but it works.
    I also built an entire breadboard version from KH's PDF and I had it working well. Unfortunately all that mess on a breadboard made it turn into a pumpkin at midnight after the first day of it working...so that one isn't going to be mentioned again ;)
-Jake

The following users thanked this post: madires, misterno

Offline mauroh

• Frequent Contributor
    • Mauro Pintus
« Reply #4677 on: April 14, 2018, 10:58:02 pm »
Hi Jake, I'm glad you are back and wish you all the best!!!
Looking forward to see your developments  :-+
Mauro

The following users thanked this post: jakeisprobably

Offline joystik

• Contributor
« Reply #4678 on: April 16, 2018, 04:56:24 pm »
IIRC, the Z180SN009 is based on the ST7735S. That controller supports up to 132x162 dots but the LCDs are 128x160 usually. A 128x160 LCD module could be wired starting at different addresses. Additionally the ST7735S has three pins for setting the LCD's resolution to either 132x162 or 128x160 which implies a specific wiring offset (moved to the mid). Maybe there are 128x160 modules wired starting at 1x1 but set to 132x162. When directions are flipped we'd get offset problems. So we need an option to shift x and y by the module specific offsets to cope with all the possible variations. And there's still the issue with the additional MCU controlling some important signals. Does anyone like to sponsor a TC-1 for reverse engineering and testing?

Did you get a hold of one of these?

If not, I could help. Send me a pm.

Offline daemon123

• Contributor
« Reply #4679 on: April 16, 2018, 05:39:20 pm »
No, the STE2007 isn't supported. But based on the datasheet it shouldn't be hard to write a driver.

I am no programmer but can copy paste  :P

I am trying to make the driver, have downloaded the code and the closest match i found was for ST8814

here i tried to fiddle with the code but dont understand some of the variables

Code: [Select]
#elif (LCD_ST_TYPE == 2007) /* not ((LCD_ST_TYPE == 7565 || 1306 || 7108 || 7920 || 8812 || 8814) */
 // support for STE2007 , used for Nokia 1202
#undef SCREEN_WIDTH
#define SCREEN_WIDTH  96 /* for STE2007 */
    #undef SCREEN_HEIGHT
#define SCREEN_HEIGHT  68

//LCD-commands
#define CMD_SET_ADC_NORMAL      0xA0 //? Segment Driver direction select ?? 8.7 //
#define CMD_SET_ADC_REVERSE     0xA1 //?

#define CMD_SET_DISP_NORMAL     0xA6 /* Display normal / reverse, see 8.2 */
#define CMD_SET_DISP_REVERSE    0xA7 /* ** */

#define CMD_SET_BIAS_9          0xA2 //? Bias Ratio, see 8.17 //
#define CMD_SET_BIAS_7          0xA3 //? ? //

//? #define CMD_RMW                 0xE0
//? #define CMD_RMW_CLEAR           0xEE

#define CMD_INTERNAL_RESET      0xE2 /* Reset, see 8.14 */

#define CMD_SET_RESISTOR_RATIO  0x20 //? ? //

#define CMD_SET_VOLUME_FIRST    0x81 /* Electronic volume, see 8.12.3 */

//? #define CMD_SET_VOP_UPPER 0x20 /* upper 3 bits of Vop */ // The Set VOP instruction is used for programming the LCD drive voltage
//? #define CMD_SET_VOP_LOWER 0x80 /* lower 5 bits of Vop */ // not present in 2007

#define CMD_SET_ALLPTS_NORMAL   0xA4 /* Normal Display Mode see 8.3 */
#define CMD_SET_ALLPTS_ON       0xA5 /* Display all points ON/OFF, see 8.3 */

#define CMD_SET_POWER_CONTROL   0x2F /* Booster : ON, Voltage regulator : ON, Voltage follower : ON, see 8.11 */
#define CMD_SET_COM_NORMAL      0xC0 // ?
#define CMD_SET_COM_REVERSE     0xC8 // ?
#define CMD_DISPLAY_OFF         0xAE /* Display OFF see 8.1 */
#define CMD_DISPLAY_ON          0xAF /* Display ON see 8.1 */
#define CMD_SET_PAGE            0xB0 /* Page address set see 8.4 */
#define CMD_SET_START_LINE 0x40    /* Display start line address set 8.6 */
#define CMD_SET_COLUMN_UPPER    0x10 // ?
#define CMD_SET_COLUMN_LOWER    0x00 // ?
//Macros for LCD
#define lcd_write_data(data)                   _lcd_hw_write(0x01, data);
#define lcd_cursor_on()  // ignored
#define lcd_cursor_off() // ignored

need help with theses

//LCD-commands
#define CMD_SET_ADC_NORMAL      0xA0 //? Segment Driver direction select ?? 8.7 //
#define CMD_SET_ADC_REVERSE     0xA1 //?

#define CMD_SET_BIAS_9          0xA2 //? Bias Ratio, see 8.17 //
#define CMD_SET_BIAS_7          0xA3 //? ? //

#define CMD_SET_RESISTOR_RATIO  0x20 //? ? //

//? #define CMD_SET_VOP_UPPER 0x20 /* upper 3 bits of Vop */ // The Set VOP instruction is used for programming the LCD drive voltage
//? #define CMD_SET_VOP_LOWER 0x80 /* lower 5 bits of Vop */ // not present in 2007

#define CMD_SET_COM_NORMAL      0xC0 // ?
#define CMD_SET_COM_REVERSE     0xC8 // ?

#define CMD_SET_COLUMN_UPPER    0x10 // ?
#define CMD_SET_COLUMN_LOWER    0x00 // ?

can someone help with the lines highlighted in bold, i tried to find them in datasheet but could get correct values for them

Offline rddube

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4680 on: April 16, 2018, 06:31:17 pm »
I bought 2 of the attached tester and installed the M version on one and the K version on the other. The one with the K version burnt the chip (v05 - diode array) and then the main chip. Should I be modifying it to use the K version? Also, with the M version, if there is nothing in the tester it gives me a reading of a capacitor of 15 pf, but seems to work ok otherwise.

A few users with the kit version of your tester had problems with the placement of the SRV05-4. When reversed the internal TVS diode will short Vcc to ground. Since it's an optional (weak) input protection the tester will also work without it. After programming the firmware please run the self-adjustment and the 15pF issue will vanish.

Hello Madires, I've tried running the self-adjustment and the 15pf issue did vanish. However, when I turn the tester off and on again, the 15pf is back? It doesn't seem to save the settings? Am i doing something wrong? Tks

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #4681 on: April 17, 2018, 10:02:16 am »
Yep, the self-adjustment results need to be saved manually (menu item 'Save', choose profile #1). Please see the README file!

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4682 on: April 17, 2018, 10:26:22 am »
here i tried to fiddle with the code but dont understand some of the variables

The STE2007 doesn't seem to have those commands.

need help with theses

Based on the code for the ST8814
    lcd_command(CMD_SET_VOP_UPPER | ((volume >> 5) & 0x07));     // set upper Vop
    lcd_command(CMD_SET_VOP_LOWER | (volume & 0x1f));    // set lower Vop
it's obvious that the ST8814 has two commands to set an 8 bit contrast value, i.e. one for the upper 5 bits and another for the lower 3 bits. The STE2007 has the same commands.

The following users thanked this post: daemon123

Offline misterno

• Contributor
« Reply #4683 on: April 17, 2018, 04:58:13 pm »
I finally found an ATMEGA328P and after a successful reflashing, i do manage to make it works!
Now i 'm thirsty for more experiments  ;). As i noticed when i push the button and then plug the battery,
i get a different menu with many options. I guess that maybe need a rotary encoder to work with it.
Is it possible to give me the link with schematic changes needed to make it fully working?
TIA

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4684 on: April 17, 2018, 06:35:15 pm »
We've discussed rotary encoders and alternative push buttons just one page ago ;)

Offline misterno

• Contributor
« Reply #4685 on: April 17, 2018, 07:02:53 pm »
We've discussed rotary encoders and alternative push buttons just one page ago ;)

Yes, after a better search i found it. Now i put the rotary encoder and the device is working like a charm!
Thank you all for help  :)

Offline rddube

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4686 on: April 17, 2018, 10:16:40 pm »
Yep, the self-adjustment results need to be saved manually (menu item 'Save', choose profile #1). Please see the README file!

Thanks Madires, it worked! I really do like the M version of the software!

Offline misterno

• Contributor
« Reply #4687 on: April 18, 2018, 08:01:15 pm »

Yes, after a better search i found it. Now i put the rotary encoder and the device is working like a charm!
Thank you all for help  :)

I did the encoder tweak and connect it to the right pins with 1K and 10K resistors as well.
Next i 've try to test the device better and i found that i have ver. 1.13K installed.
When i try to measure anything, i get the prompt like "the device is not calibrated"
I bridged the 3 probe wires together but the calibration message remains every time.
I also try to measure a couple of transistors, resistors, capacitors, diodes but the warning message appears every time.
What should i try next?

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4688 on: April 18, 2018, 08:24:34 pm »
The calibration procedure for the k-firmware is explained in Karl-Heinz' documentation (https://github.com/svn2github/transistortester/blob/master/Doku/trunk/pdftex/english/ttester.pdf).
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 08:26:23 pm by madires »

Offline misterno

• Contributor
« Reply #4689 on: April 19, 2018, 06:25:23 pm »
As i try to calibrate the device, i did all the necessary steps to do it but no luck. I do have a working device with original Chinese firmware. Is it any possibility to read this original firmware came with device LCR T3 with 128X64 lcd display? I have a TL866A programmer.

I need to put both the .hex and the .eep file as well.
TIA
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 08:37:29 pm by misterno »

Offline jakeisprobably

• Regular Contributor
    • Upcycle Electronics
« Reply #4690 on: April 21, 2018, 01:07:34 am »
As i try to calibrate the device, i did all the necessary steps to do it but no luck. I do have a working device with original Chinese firmware. Is it any possibility to read this original firmware came with device LCR T3 with 128X64 lcd display? I have a TL866A programmer.

I need to put both the .hex and the .eep file as well.
TIA
   There is a thorough walk through that describes how the calibration works in the PDF documentation for K Firmware. If you want help with this, what are your readings from all of the tests? I'm rather limited in what I can help with, but I know a bit about the project.

Offline misterno

• Contributor
« Reply #4691 on: April 22, 2018, 01:01:05 pm »
It looks like i have a parasitic resistance or capacitance which interfere with the probes and not allowed me to calibrate the device. I will try to re-calibrate again with the zif socket soldered and cleaned.

EDIT: After a  good cleaning and flux removal i noticed with my microscope two small cracks to the track from TP1 and TP2. So i bridge them with a small wire and
now it's fully working.

Also i did the calibration as well  ;)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 04:41:55 pm by misterno »

Offline CheckOne Two

• Contributor
« Reply #4692 on: April 24, 2018, 07:08:32 pm »
Hi all,

First a big thanks to all who have contributed towards the development of this very useful little tool ... the amount of documentation and posts is mind boggling!

I have purchased a 2578AY-AT clone kit (color screen with cd4050 buffer) and while putting it together have installed the advised 0.1% probe resistors, LM4040 (correct pin orientation) and MCP1702 ... the tester is up and running fine with firmware 1.12k.

As per the advised upgrades I have also purchased a 20Mhz crystal and some spare Atmega328-PU and would like to install the new crystal and try the latest 1.32m firmware. The plan was to leave the original 328 as is and flash the new firmware on one of the spare 328's then install that instead.

It is the programming of the firmware where I am falling flat on my face ... there are so many snippets of the procedure and many different ways to do it, I've been reading for days now but am still very confused and not confident in what I'm doing at all. It seems it should be very easy but I'm just lost in all the posts, documentation and different ways of doing it.

I use both Debian and Win10 here but have decided to try and do it in Win10 as it would seem to be more straight forward.

So far I have installed: AVRdude with all the required toolchain, GNU make and drivers etc. and am using the AVRDUDESS gui with it and have purchased a USBasp adapter and cable and installed the correct driver (this shows up in AVRdude).

First major problem was that the evaluation board that arrived with the USBasp adapter and cable is too large for the 328 (although it was meant to support it) ... then I opened the 328-PU's that I ordered from RS to find that they have sent me 328 U (not sure if this is a different chip but when I started looking for data on them I have found there are lots of different variants.

So a few questions because of my complete lack of experience in programming Atmega328's and Arduino etc. :

I am finding it really difficult to find a board to put on the end of my USBasp adapter cable that I am confident will support 328's ... can anyone point me to something suitable?

The kit arrived with a 328(P-PU) ... I ordered 328(-PU) as that was what was detailed in the upgrade list but on doing more research the P-PU has lower power consumption and was indeed cheaper than the -PU ... would I have been better off ordering P-PU's?

Can anybody point me to a complete simple guide to programming the AY-AT clone 1.32m firmware onto the 328 ... or anything else that follows the same procedure as the more I read and search now the more confused I get about it? The closest I got was a video on youtube but it was in russian  :-// and the files he was using looked nothing like the one's I have downloaded from Github. I'm taking it that the files he had are what is compiled by the Makefile but I'm really confused and stuck without a board to put the 328 on to try things out.

I'm not normally a person to ask for help but in this case I defo need pointed in the right direction ... I learn fast and any help will be well appreciated.

Offline timelessbeing

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4693 on: April 24, 2018, 08:28:19 pm »
First major problem was that the evaluation board that arrived with the USBasp adapter and cable is too large for the 328
I'm not sure I understand. Can you show a picture?

Offline CheckOne Two

• Contributor
« Reply #4694 on: April 24, 2018, 11:41:37 pm »
I'm not sure I understand. Can you show a picture?

Thanks for the reply,

I bought the USBasp programmer, cable, 10pin to 6pin adapter and evaluation board as a "kit" and in the supported controllers in the ad the 328 was listed .... it turned out what they meant was the 328 was supported by the programmer, cable and adapter and the evaluation board was for Atmega16/32 so is far too wide for the 328.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AVR-ATMEGA16-Minimum-System-Board-ATmega32-USB-ISP-USBasp-Programmer-For-ATMEL/162949072121?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

It's my fault for not knowing what to look for ... also I'm still not sure if I should have bought Atmega328P-PU controllers instead of ordering Atmega328-PU which have turned up marked Atmega328 U

Totally confused at the moment which is why I'm here asking advice before I waste any more money.

Is there a way I can still use the USBasp programmer and cable with some other board to program the other 328 to the new firmware so that buying them hasn't been a complete loss?

I've a feeling that if I can get the other 328 connected to AVRDUDE all the different little snippets of the programming procedure that I've read in the thread will start to make some sense.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 12:28:21 am by CheckOne Two »

Offline timelessbeing

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4695 on: April 25, 2018, 12:08:08 am »
Sorry I can't comprehend what you're saying. There's just too much. One thing at a time please, and in simple terms.

You're having trouble connecting a cable to a board?
A chip to a socket?

:-//
A photo of YOUR setup would really help here.

Offline CheckOne Two

• Contributor
« Reply #4696 on: April 25, 2018, 01:05:39 am »
Sorry I can't comprehend what you're saying. There's just too much. One thing at a time please, and in simple terms.

You're having trouble connecting a cable to a board?
A chip to a socket?

:-//
A photo of YOUR setup would really help here.

The link in my previous post is the exact programming kit I bought hoping to connect my spare Atmega328's to a computer to program with the latest 1.32m firmware ... there are clear pictures if you click on it.

No trouble connecting the cable to the USBasp programmer ... No trouble connecting the USBasp programmer to the computer ... all drivers are installed correctly and AVRDUDE is ready to go.

The problem is the Zif connector on the development/evaluation board is not compatible with Atmega328 and so I am asking what other cheap Atmega328 compatible board I could use with the USBasp programmer and cable.

Offline timelessbeing

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4697 on: April 25, 2018, 01:26:35 am »
OK Got it now. The socket is 21 pin but the 328 has 28 pins.

Just find the right board for the 328 on eBay. They're only a buck or two.

If you don't want to wait, maybe you chop the end off the zif socket that you already have to make it work. There's only 5 pins that you really need anyway.

Offline BroMarduk

• Supporter
« Reply #4698 on: April 25, 2018, 01:51:19 am »
The problem is the Zif connector on the development/evaluation board is not compatible with Atmega328 and so I am asking what other cheap Atmega328 compatible board I could use with the USBasp programmer and cable.

Are you just stating that the ATMega328 is a 28 pin chip and the ZIF socket on the programmer is a 40 pin socket?  I'm not sure how the ZIF board is wired - so I wouldn't use it (40 pin ATMEGA16 has VCC on 10, but 28 pin ATMEGA328 has it on 7), but you can use the USB programmer piece and use jumper wires to a breadboard from the 10 pin connector on the other end.

See page 12 of the guide here:  http://www.hmangas.com/Electronica/Datasheets/USBasp/AVR-USBasp%20User%20Manual.pdf for pin wiring.

I see the kit also comes with a 10-6 pin adapter so you could also use it and wire like here: http://www.chicoree.fr/w/images/b/b8/ATmega328P-ISP.png

Offline CheckOne Two

• Contributor
« Reply #4699 on: April 25, 2018, 01:58:57 am »
OK Got it now. The socket is 21 pin but the 328 has 28 pins.

Just find the right board for the 328 on eBay. They're only a buck or two.

If you don't want to wait, maybe you chop the end off the zif socket that you already have to make it work. There's only 5 pins that you really need anyway.

The dev board that I ordered by accident is actually 40 pin  :-[ but it's also far too wide for a 328 to fit it's pins into.

I'm having problems finding the right board ... that was why I was asking for advice on what would be compatible with my programmer and cable (which apparently do support Atmega328's) in case I buy something else that isn't suitable or there is a cheaper alternative and waste more money.

Most of the boards I see here in the UK seem to be arduino boards and I'm not sure if they are what I'm looking for ... also they seem to use a different usb cable.

Do I actually need a dev board with crystal etc. at the end of my USBasp programmer and cable to program the 328 or can I make something simple up myself to hold the 328 controller while programming?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf