Author Topic: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project  (Read 3438458 times)

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
Re: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project
« Reply #5225 on: October 14, 2018, 05:51:26 pm »
i tried editing firmware ComponentTester-1.34m to work with my TC1 (atMega324PA) Tester, i used TC1-Mod circuit as suggested, so no more STC15W104 chip. the problem is immediate exit (power off) after measurement (or no component), problem similar to...
* once online the device is testing and so on, afterwards it says IMMEDIATELY 'bye' - there is no delay, you cannot even read the values
in page 204...

Sounds like a problem with the test push button at PD1. When not pressed it should be a high signal, and low when pressed. Does the mod create the correct logic levels?

The following users thanked this post: Mechatrommer

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5226 on: October 14, 2018, 05:55:47 pm »
On the website of Mikrocontroller.net where we can find the latest Firmware Karl-Heinz, there are several possible models. Is there a website where you can find a photo with the model ?

As Willem52 has already posted: https://yadi.sk/d/yW8xa5NJgUo5z. A few clones are also depicted in Karl-Heinz's excellent  documentation.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #5227 on: October 15, 2018, 03:12:34 am »
i tried editing firmware ComponentTester-1.34m to work with my TC1 (atMega324PA) Tester, i used TC1-Mod circuit as suggested, so no more STC15W104 chip. the problem is immediate exit (power off) after measurement (or no component), problem similar to...
* once online the device is testing and so on, afterwards it says IMMEDIATELY 'bye' - there is no delay, you cannot even read the values
in page 204...

Sounds like a problem with the test push button at PD1. When not pressed it should be a high signal, and low when pressed. Does the mod create the correct logic levels?
you nailed it, thank you! there somekind of leakage making Q2 to always turned ON even if button is not pressed, the solution is i added 100KOhm pull down on the Q2's base. earlier is even worse, Q1 is always ON, it turned out leakage on smd capacitor C13 on the TC1 pcb, so i removed it and now it works. attached is my mod... Q1 and Q2 is 2N3906 and 2N3904 if that matters.

now the tester function as it should, 5 times testing no component, and then turned off. similarly when testing component, transistor for example, it will cycle indefinetely around 3 second each cycle, this is a bit annoying esp when we want to write down components parameters on paper. my M328 tester (now with my brother) is better, it will test component, and it stay there on the output result for longer time. can you direct me on the code how to adjust timeout if component is detected, so its like. if component detected, cycle timeout = say 10 seconds, but if no component, timeout is 3 seconds. or else, how the M328 function?

another thing, there are corrupted image on the right side of my screen, and random garbage on left and top part of the screen, see 2nd attachment. can this be fixed? thanks for your help.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

The following users thanked this post: grantb5

Offline Andrey

• Contributor
« Reply #5228 on: October 15, 2018, 07:13:39 am »
Dear madires. Need your help. I connected the VS1838B IR receiver to the PD4 and the IR transmitter to PB2. But they do not work.
My files, please see where my mistake is.
Thank!

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5229 on: October 15, 2018, 10:10:59 am »
now the tester function as it should, 5 times testing no component, and then turned off. similarly when testing component, transistor for example, it will cycle indefinetely around 3 second each cycle, this is a bit annoying esp when we want to write down components parameters on paper. my M328 tester (now with my brother) is better, it will test component, and it stay there on the output result for longer time. can you direct me on the code how to adjust timeout if component is detected, so its like. if component detected, cycle timeout = say 10 seconds, but if no component, timeout is 3 seconds. or else, how the M328 function?

When powering on, keep the push button pressed a little bit longer (>300ms) to select the auto-hold mode. You could also enable UI_AUTOHOLD in config.h.

another thing, there are corrupted image on the right side of my screen, and random garbage on left and top part of the screen, see 2nd attachment. can this be fixed? thanks for your help.

Disabling LCD_OFFSET_X and LCD_OFFSET_Y should fix that. The ST7735 drives 132x162 pixels while the LCD has only 128x160. Based on how the LCD is wired to the controller the addressing has to be shifted accordingly by the firmware.

The following users thanked this post: Mechatrommer

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5230 on: October 15, 2018, 10:44:57 am »
Dear madires. Need your help. I connected the VS1838B IR receiver to the PD4 and the IR transmitter to PB2. But they do not work.
My files, please see where my mistake is.

In your case PD4 is used for the 680 Ohms probe resistor for probe/test pin 2. That means you should connect the IR receiver module to the probes when running the IR detector tool, i.e. SW_IR_RECEIVER. BTW, you've enabled HW_IR_RECEIVER (dedicated pin) and SW_IR_RECEIVER (via probes). PD4 (OC1B) is also used as signal output for the IR transmitter.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5231 on: October 15, 2018, 08:20:15 pm »
Disabling LCD_OFFSET_X and LCD_OFFSET_Y should fix that...
yes it fixes that beyond any reasonable doubt thanks. i've also enabled autohold mode, its much better now. last question.. is there any timeout in autohold mode? so it will shut down automatically? i dont want to forget switch off and this device will drain battery, thanks.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Andbro

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5232 on: October 15, 2018, 08:30:58 pm »
Hi,

I want to programming my ESR with USBASP and AVRDUDE.
What is the right fuses ?

Thanks

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5233 on: October 16, 2018, 10:20:02 am »
i've also enabled autohold mode, its much better now. last question.. is there any timeout in autohold mode? so it will shut down automatically? i dont want to forget switch off and this device will drain battery, thanks.

No, but it might be an idea for the to-do list. What would be a reasonable timeout for the automatic power off when no button is pressed? 30, 60 or 90s?

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5234 on: October 16, 2018, 10:31:16 am »
I want to programming my ESR with USBASP and AVRDUDE.
What is the right fuses ?

ATmega328, 8 MHz quartz crystal:
avrdude –c usbasp  -p m328p -P usb -U lfuse:w:0xf7:m -U hfuse:w:0xd9:m -U efuse:w:0xfc:m
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 10:33:12 am by madires »

Offline Andrey

• Contributor
« Reply #5235 on: October 16, 2018, 11:16:05 am »
madires Thank! IR receiver works on PC4. I did as you wrote, disconnected //#define SW_IR_RECEIVER and enabled #define HW_IR_RECEIVER
There is a question:
1. Can I connect the IR transmitter to a free port? How to register it?
2. In firmware 1.33, I could change the PWM in Russian. I changed in the variables.h file
     //#endif
  //#if defined (SW_PWM_SIMPLE) || defined (SW_PWM_PLUS)
   // const unsigned char PWM_str[] EEMEM = "PWM";
  #endif
and in the file var_russian.h
#ifdef SW_PWM_SIMPLE
    const unsigned char PWM_str[] EEMEM = "ШИM генератор";
  #endif
Everything worked and displayed in Russian.
 In 1.34m it writes an error when compiling. It can be fixed? How?
Sorry for a lot of questions.
Thanks for the help! Firmware 1.34m for clone M644 - SUPER !!!

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5236 on: October 16, 2018, 02:15:25 pm »
1. Can I connect the IR transmitter to a free port? How to register it?

No, it has to be OC1B (Timer1 is used for generating the carrier).

2. In firmware 1.33, I could change the PWM in Russian. I changed in the variables.h file
     //#endif
  //#if defined (SW_PWM_SIMPLE) || defined (SW_PWM_PLUS)
   // const unsigned char PWM_str[] EEMEM = "PWM";
  #endif
and in the file var_russian.h
#ifdef SW_PWM_SIMPLE
  #endif
Everything worked and displayed in Russian.
 In 1.34m it writes an error when compiling. It can be fixed? How?

Please post the compiler's error message. Also use the complete condition "#if defined (SW_PWM_SIMPLE) || defined (SW_PWM_PLUS)" in var_russian.h. And keep the #endif of the former condition in variables.h. It should be (variables.h):
Code: [Select]
//  #if defined (SW_PWM_SIMPLE) || defined (SW_PWM_PLUS)
//    const unsigned char PWM_str[] EEMEM = "PWM";
//  #endif
and (var_russian.h):
Code: [Select]
  #if defined (SW_PWM_SIMPLE) || defined (SW_PWM_PLUS)
  #endif

The following users thanked this post: Andrey

Offline Andrey

• Contributor
« Reply #5237 on: October 16, 2018, 03:35:21 pm »
Thank you so much! Great, it works !!!  :-+ :-+ :-+

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5238 on: October 17, 2018, 08:43:32 am »
i've also enabled autohold mode, its much better now. last question.. is there any timeout in autohold mode? so it will shut down automatically? i dont want to forget switch off and this device will drain battery, thanks.
No, but it might be an idea for the to-do list. What would be a reasonable timeout for the automatic power off when no button is pressed? 30, 60 or 90s?
yeah those are about right i was thinking the same thing! ;D let the user decide, as usual a constant configurable in config.h maybe about 1 or 2 minutes or even 5 minutes timeout as default value? we need to run a voting thread i guess :D as for now, i think i'm satified enough i can put the casing back in, until i have another free time to play with the firmware. i just have to remember to switch off my unit manually, otherwise just rechange the battery if its drained, consider it as user's fault. thanks a lot for your help and getting back my unit up.

Offline Andbro

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5239 on: October 17, 2018, 05:14:35 pm »
Hi,

What is the right firmware for this ESR

Thanks

Offline joeyjoejoe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5240 on: October 17, 2018, 05:17:08 pm »
Hi,

What is the right firmware for this ESR

Thanks

... I already answered in the other thread.

Fish8840TFT

Offline Andbro

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5241 on: October 17, 2018, 08:56:55 pm »
Hi,

I checked on Mikrocontroller.net and i don't find Fish8840TFT file.

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 08:58:30 pm by Andbro »

Offline netandino

• Téc. Comp. e Informática Téc. Electrónica Ind.
    • Net Andino
« Reply #5242 on: October 17, 2018, 10:32:47 pm »
Soluciones en Electrónica, Informática y Refrigeración

Offline Andbro

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5243 on: October 17, 2018, 10:43:20 pm »

I've checked in software/trunk but i don't find FISH8840TFT.
I found "mega328_fish8840" and "mega328_fish8840OC" but it does'nt work.
Do you can give me more information or direct link ?

Thanks

Offline netandino

• Téc. Comp. e Informática Téc. Electrónica Ind.
    • Net Andino
« Reply #5244 on: October 17, 2018, 10:49:28 pm »
I imagine that TFT only refers to the screen, the problem must be the fuse.
Soluciones en Electrónica, Informática y Refrigeración

Offline Andbro

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5245 on: October 17, 2018, 10:57:21 pm »

I have uploaded a russian firmware. It work, but in Russian.
The Byte are:

Lfuse: F7
Hfuse: D9
Efuse: FD
LB: 3F

thanks

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5246 on: October 18, 2018, 11:59:48 am »
In the Karl-Heinz distribution kit there is no support of a clone of Fish8840TFT. In order that its firmware worked it is necessary to make considerable changes in the config.h file.
And here for this clone madires already have ready settings in the Clones file. It is possible to compile easily a new 1.34m from the m-firmware distribution kit. Look at my message https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/$20-lcr-esr-transistor-checker-project/msg1532846/#msg1532846 on the  page 190  :D
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 12:07:34 pm by indman »

Offline Andbro

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5247 on: October 18, 2018, 02:02:31 pm »
Hi,

If I read well, nothing to do with this model for a newbie like in C. I have an another Fish8840 update to 1.13K. Is it hard to change the time or number of the test before it shut down? It take 6 minutes without component to test before to turn off.

Thanks

Offline Maploid

« Reply #5248 on: October 18, 2018, 08:01:12 pm »
Hi
i'm hoping someone can help and give me some idea where to start looking.

I've just built a GM328 from Dollatek via Amazon and i'm having trouble getting it to work properly.

The wrong load capacitors were supplied - 220pF instead of 22pF, I only have 15pF to hand so i've used them instead.

If I hold the encoder switch down the display comes on and shows as per the photograph and then shows another screen with the battery voltage.

As soon as I let go of the switch it powers off.  Also, the LED doesn't come on.

Many Thanks

« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 08:09:44 pm by Maploid »

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5249 on: October 18, 2018, 08:13:11 pm »
Is the LED's polarity correct? Is T1 switching the LED? 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf