Author Topic: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project  (Read 3444953 times)

Tor-Adi, cuebus, pierreraymondrondelle and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline kimbang

Re: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project
« Reply #4275 on: December 07, 2017, 09:50:14 am »
I need a file m 1.30 (ST7735), use crystal 16M or 20M, I hope everyone can share :D
Hello Ncclabs,
Could you share your ComponentTester to my email (bangkimnguyen25@gmail.com)?
My English is not well, so you and me can talk in native language. What's your email address?

Offline ncclabs

« Reply #4276 on: December 07, 2017, 03:14:47 pm »
I need a file m 1.30 (ST7735), use crystal 16M or 20M, I hope everyone can share :D
Hello Ncclabs,
Could you share your ComponentTester to my email (bangkimnguyen25@gmail.com)?
My English is not well, so you and me can talk in native language. What's your email address?

I sent you a message (gmail)

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #4277 on: December 08, 2017, 06:18:36 pm »
I've got the SSD1306 OLEDs and they are working fine using SPI (4 wire). Next test will be I2C.

Update: I2C works like a charm too.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 06:39:29 pm by madires »

The following users thanked this post: mauroh, CustomEngineerer, jakeisprobably

Offline casinada

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4278 on: December 09, 2017, 05:19:20 am »
 :-+

Offline Per Hansson

• Supporter
« Reply #4279 on: December 10, 2017, 07:31:54 pm »
Not Mastech.  Probably the most useable and practical one out there now.  The tilt display make the meter easier to read.  Left and right button for left and right handed people.  LCD ribbon is not soldered, so burning of new firmware shall be easier.
The other side of PCB shall need to wait.  Desoldering of some thick pins needed and do not look easy :D
I've also bought this meter, branded BSIDE ESR02 Pro on AliExpress:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Official-BSIDE-ESR02PRO-Digital-transistor-SMD-Components-tester-Diode-Triode-Capacitance-Inductance-Multimeter-ESR-Meter/32832292103.html

It's really a quite beautiful case and PCB!
It's currently running firmware 1.11k and it was not locked so was possible to save it unlike most others I've seen.

I had an idea to also fit a ATtiny44 SMD PCB inside for easy programming.
It fits great but I realize a problem: it interferes with the sense resistors and thus can't be in circuit while measuring.
So now I'm thinking to find a 5v relay to drive via the USB port too, so it switches the 4 signal wires over. (MOSI, MISO, SCK & Reset)
Currently considering Panasonic S4-5V. Will see how that goes, or anyone have some better solution?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 07:56:18 pm by Per Hansson »

The following users thanked this post: elecdonia

Offline Chris56000

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4280 on: December 11, 2017, 08:15:49 pm »
Hi!

Can anyone tell me if the full Multicoloured Display Version Firmware (my LCR–T1 leaflet refers to it as "2.12k") used in the Chinese LCR–T1 versions in the white plastic case with the internal LiPo battery and the 50V Sender Test Supply is available separately to re–flash into one of these new Maroon Case Variants, with a colour TFT fitted?

Chris Williams
It's an enigma that's what it is!! This thing's not fixed because it doesn't want to be fixed!!

Offline frozenfrogz

• Frequent Contributor
  • Having fun with Arduino and Raspberry Pi
« Reply #4281 on: December 11, 2017, 09:23:45 pm »
These are technically all derivatives from the original "Transistor Tester". Full source code is available, though some Chinese manufacturers seem to have been doing some changes to the firmware themselves (and do not all disclose the forked source files). While you will need to figure stuff out on your own, the answer to your question is most likely: Yes.
He’s like a trained ape. Without the training.

Offline MDM3D

• Contributor
« Reply #4282 on: December 12, 2017, 03:34:56 am »
I have done all of the hardware upgrades to the ay-at tester unit I have purchased but I am haveing a fairly difficult time building the correct files for the 20MHZ option. If I try to set 20 Mhz in the color kit folder I get an error and can only get it to compile whit 16 mhz option.  But if I use the 1.30m version I don't understand how to change Makefile, config.h or config-<MCU>.h properly with the feature set for the ay-at tester. 

The k-firmware supports up to 16MHz, while the m-firmware goes up to 20MHz. What do you not understand about configuring the m-firmware? The "Clones" file lists the settings for the AY-AT, and in the Makefile set "FREQ = 20".

AHA yes that is the info I need in order to configure the software correctly.  Thank you for your patience my Linux/Compiling experience is low outside of Arduino.

Now that I have taken my crash course on getting a hex file to upload via an arduino as an isp is there any reason I should be getting letter(s) that are a different color different than the majority of the text ie. a purple letter or 2 with the majority of the text being green? I am using 1.30m with the 20MHZ option and have completely followed instructions in the clones file to my current understanding. 
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 04:38:30 am by MDM3D »
UNIVERSAL LAW 1, EVERYTHING runs on Smoke... If the smoke is released then it no longer functions. 
--- Source: Unknown

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4283 on: December 12, 2017, 09:22:20 am »
Hi!

Can anyone tell me if the full Multicoloured Display Version Firmware (my LCR–T1 leaflet refers to it as "2.12k") used in the Chinese LCR–T1 versions in the white plastic case with the internal LiPo battery and the 50V Sender Test Supply is available separately to re–flash into one of these new Maroon Case Variants, with a colour TFT fitted?

Chris Williams

the correct answer is NO.

Offline frozenfrogz

• Frequent Contributor
  • Having fun with Arduino and Raspberry Pi
« Reply #4284 on: December 12, 2017, 10:12:07 am »
the correct answer is NO.

Why is that?
I thought these are all basically the same. It might involve board modifications though...
He’s like a trained ape. Without the training.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4285 on: December 12, 2017, 10:34:16 am »
Now that I have taken my crash course on getting a hex file to upload via an arduino as an isp is there any reason I should be getting letter(s) that are a different color different than the majority of the text ie. a purple letter or 2 with the majority of the text being green? I am using 1.30m with the 20MHZ option and have completely followed instructions in the clones file to my current understanding.

Are you talking about SW_PROBE_COLORS? If enabled the pinout of components is color coded (different color for each probe/test pin). Otherwise there could be an interface issue with the LCD. BTW, you can change the colors in colors.h.

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4286 on: December 12, 2017, 01:37:45 pm »
the unit he has is very modified - it shows graphics of the socket and all kinds of interesting stuff.
it even draws waveforms from the IR sensor.

i *really* wish the guy who did all that would jump on the forums and share his work.
i think the hardware uses a different mcu to the usual ones too - so working out the pinout/schematic would take a while.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 03:26:01 pm by stj »

Offline aabbcc

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4287 on: December 12, 2017, 01:44:27 pm »
Should be possible if you manage to find each transistor.

Maybe a stupid question, but practically how do I insert it?

I have a few 2sc2291 that I want to check authenticity by:

* Checking pin orientation
* Measuring hfe

They are 5 pin transistors and the pins should be ECBCE, do I only insert some of the pins, and if so, which ones?

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4288 on: December 12, 2017, 02:37:32 pm »

Three short leads with clips/hooks/grabbers?

* Measuring hfe

They are 5 pin transistors and the pins should be ECBCE, do I only insert some of the pins, and if so, which ones?

The first three pins, and then the last three pins. That way you can check both BJTs in the package.

Offline perieanuo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4289 on: December 12, 2017, 02:41:40 pm »
Should be possible if you manage to find each transistor.

* Measuring hfe

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14508

Envoyé de mon HUAWEI NXT-L29 en utilisant Tapatalk

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4290 on: December 12, 2017, 03:09:03 pm »
the unit he has is very modified - it shows graphics of the socket and all kinds of interesting stuff.
it even draws waveforms from the IR sensor.

i *really* with the guy who did all that would jump on the forums and share his work.
i think the hardware uses a different mcu to the usual ones too - so working out the pinout/schematic would take a while.

The TC-1 has an ATmega324 and, IIRC, the IR decoder supports only one or two protocols. BTW, I'm working with someone to find the correct settings to run the m-firmware on the TC-1. There will be a small change for the battery management in the next firmware version as a first result. The other tester in the fancy red case has an ATmega328.

We've tried to encourage the clone manufacturers to send samples and firmware modifications, but we haven't received anything yet. It seems they aren't interested in supporting the project they are profiting from. :(

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4291 on: December 12, 2017, 03:28:33 pm »
unfortunate because if they included a bootloader or a second mcu to act as icsp they could sell it as "upgradeable"

Offline MDM3D

• Contributor
« Reply #4292 on: December 12, 2017, 09:20:27 pm »

Are you talking about SW_PROBE_COLORS? If enabled the pinout of components is color coded (different color for each probe/test pin). Otherwise there could be an interface issue with the LCD. BTW, you can change the colors in colors.h.
Nope more like this...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

UNIVERSAL LAW 1, EVERYTHING runs on Smoke... If the smoke is released then it no longer functions. 
--- Source: Unknown

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4293 on: December 13, 2017, 11:22:21 am »
The 'S' of 'Select:' is also missing. That seems to be an interface problem. You could try to add a small delay in the SPI driver, i.e. SPI_Write_Byte(). Maybe one or two 'wdt_reset();' in the loop to stretch the SPI clock cycle. I think, this is the first time I've seen such a problem with a color display. The ST7735 displays I got are running fine with a 20MHz Atmega328 in bit-bang mode. BTW, with a rotary encoder you can enable SW_PWM_PLUS instead of SW_PWM_SIMPLE.

The following users thanked this post: elecdonia

Offline donbowman

« Reply #4294 on: December 14, 2017, 08:56:23 pm »
An earlier message talked about a flashing 'Vext=0mV'. I have the same issue, the device powers up, shows the menu, then shows BAT=9.3V, VCC=5V, then shows Bat = 9.3V and flashing Vext=0mV.

This is w/ the AY-AT clone, specifically 2578AY-AT. I can't seem to get it to do anything else, regardless of knob press/turn.
Can someone suggest where to debug? I'm using the schematic from https://github.com/Upcycle-Electronics/AVR-Transistor-Tester/blob/master/AY-AT%20J1.3.pdf

I'm not sure where to look, the voltages look ok from what i can tell, and clearly the cpu is programmed since i can read the lcd.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4295 on: December 15, 2017, 12:06:47 pm »
I'd start with checking T2 which is driving PD7.

Offline rwgast_lowlevellogicdesin

• Frequent Contributor
    • LowLevel-LogicDesign
« Reply #4296 on: December 21, 2017, 10:28:41 pm »
Ok usually I read a thread all the way through before I just post, but at 100+ pages.... im sorry if I am asking some questions that have already been answered. A while back a client hired me to fix an audio amplifier and he ordered two of there guys, EBay Special, TC1 Transistor Testor and ESR meterl, so I could quickly test some of the transistors and the ESR of the caps. Well he liked messing with electronics too but doesnt know much, so one was for him. He blew his out in the first hour, I had assumed testing a charged cap.. I took it apart gave it a quick look and just assumed the avr got friend with out much testing.

Well now mine is having the same problem as his after months of steady use, I was testing a small 10v 470uf cap (I had shorted the caps leads on piece of copper, I tested it once no problem, then hit test again the middle of the second test killed it) right after fully charging the units lithium battery and all the sudden the screen went black and the test button failed to do anything. This had happened to me a few times before but all the other times this has happened all I had to do was hold the test button down for about 30 seconds and then press it again, im assuming this just fully turns of the micro and resets the board. This time that trick did not work for me, this is the same exact problem with the first tester that blew up.

I opened the case disconnected the battery and charged it on a separate charger, didn't resolve anything. I read through the PDF file for these last night and found out just how versatile these things are! I also found the trouble shooting section and now I believe there is something wrong with the power system from what I read. This unit also has a boost converter and transformer, for testing LED's and Zeners i am guessing. It is putting out about 15 volts but the chip AL605 gets extremely hot to the touch, I also could not find a 5 volt rail anywhere on the board, the linear regulator was only putting out like 2.5v or something, if I recall correctly. I tested the bus lines on the screen to make sure the screen wasnt just broken, and there is no data on the lines when I press test.

I just printed out the base tester schematic (published in the pdf file, transistor tester plus a little more) and the pinout of the Atmega32PA4 (this is the AVR this clone uses) and plan to take more trouble shooting steps a bit later today. So I guess here are my questions,

#1 Is there a known common problem with the TC1 version tester that matches the problem I have described, If not what is anyone elses take on what happend and whats wrong with it. I dont think the charge from the first test is enough to blow the micro out when testing a second time.

#2 Is there open, upgraded and modifiable firmware for this TC1 model, that work if I were to add the ISP header. I had always assumed no until I did a bit more reading in to these things. This is especially necessary if I have to replace the avr chip, or at least a hex file and fuse settings.

#3 My unit has the screen soldered in with headers, when the original broke I de-soldered the lcd and saved it for whatever reason, can anyone tell me exactly what display driver chip these use?

#4 Lastly if I were to just replace  this one or buy a second, what is the most hardware/software hack-able model, Ive seen the "new 2017" version but id like to get one with a color LCD to start off with. I guess im looking for one with a nice screen I can add all the options too.

If you havent see this document is really good it is version 1.13, the older versions dont contain near the amount of info, it talks about different LCD driver choices using a mega etc etc
http://www.avrtester.tode.cz/upload/ttester_en.pdf

*Edit* I forgot one thing, I know these arent the best ESR testers but they do the job, does anyone know how if the DIY 5 transistor tester allen posted works better for esr?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 10:33:06 pm by rwgast_lowlevellogicdesin »

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4297 on: December 22, 2017, 03:23:00 am »
if the 5v regulator is outputting 2.5 then what's on it's input??
maybe the boost circuit is bad so your only getting the 3.7v from the battery.

Offline rwgast_lowlevellogicdesin

• Frequent Contributor
    • LowLevel-LogicDesign
« Reply #4298 on: December 22, 2017, 07:14:53 am »
Ok so I took some time with a meter and scope to try to track down the problem, and it either the boost converter to run the 5v regulator, the inductor/transformer, or the rectifier diode between the regulator input and inductor. for some reason the input to the 5v ldo is only 2.5v and 1.8v between the inductor and diode, while the 15v boost for diode testing works just fine.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4299 on: December 22, 2017, 11:57:04 am »
#1 Is there a known common problem with the TC1 version tester that matches the problem I have described, If not what is anyone elses take on what happend and whats wrong with it. I dont think the charge from the first test is enough to blow the micro out when testing a second time.

Since you already know that the power supply circuitry has a problem, I'd like to add that the TC1 uses a poor pin assignment for the ATmege324. Hardware SPI isn't possible because two pins are swapped. And OC1B isn't connected at all, i.e. no signal output (PWM/squarewave/...). BTW, the next m-firmware version will support a dedicated signal output via OC1B, when that pin isn't used for the 680 Ohms probe resistor for testpin/probe #2.

#2 Is there open, upgraded and modifiable firmware for this TC1 model, that work if I were to add the ISP header. I had always assumed no until I did a bit more reading in to these things. This is especially necessary if I have to replace the avr chip, or at least a hex file and fuse settings.

k and m-firmware ;)

#3 My unit has the screen soldered in with headers, when the original broke I de-soldered the lcd and saved it for whatever reason, can anyone tell me exactly what display driver chip these use?

AFAIK, they come with different displays. Monochrome could be ST7565.

#4 Lastly if I were to just replace  this one or buy a second, what is the most hardware/software hack-able model, Ive seen the "new 2017" version but id like to get one with a color LCD to start off with. I guess im looking for one with a nice screen I can add all the options too.

That would be the AY-AT kit with a ST7735 and rotary encoder.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf