Author Topic: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project  (Read 3434473 times)

Offline CheckOne Two

• Contributor
Re: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project
« Reply #4700 on: April 25, 2018, 02:05:16 am »
The problem is the Zif connector on the development/evaluation board is not compatible with Atmega328 and so I am asking what other cheap Atmega328 compatible board I could use with the USBasp programmer and cable.

Are you just stating that the ATMega328 is a 28 pin chip and the ZIF socket on the programmer is a 40 pin socket?  I'm not sure how the ZIF board is wired - so I wouldn't use it (40 pin ATMEGA16 has VCC on 10, but 28 pin ATMEGA328 has it on 7), but you can use the USB programmer piece and use jumper wires to a breadboard from the 10 pin connector on the other end.

See page 12 of the guide here:  http://www.hmangas.com/Electronica/Datasheets/USBasp/AVR-USBasp%20User%20Manual.pdf for pin wiring.

I see the kit also comes with a 10-6 pin adapter so you could also use it and wire like here: http://www.chicoree.fr/w/images/b/b8/ATmega328P-ISP.png

Aha ... yes that is what I am saying, I ordered the wrong dev board by not paying attention to the whole listing. You have answered the question I was wondering about while I was writing it. So I can make my own 328 connector ?

Ok I'm off for a look at your links ... thanks  :)

Offline CheckOne Two

• Contributor
« Reply #4701 on: April 25, 2018, 02:42:23 am »

See page 12 of the guide here:  http://www.hmangas.com/Electronica/Datasheets/USBasp/AVR-USBasp%20User%20Manual.pdf for pin wiring.

I see the kit also comes with a 10-6 pin adapter so you could also use it and wire like here: http://www.chicoree.fr/w/images/b/b8/ATmega328P-ISP.png

Wow ... is it really as easy as that and nothing more is required?  :)

Offline timelessbeing

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4702 on: April 25, 2018, 03:48:01 am »
The socket is 21 pin ... chop the end off the zif socket ... There's only 5 pins that you really need anyway.

Oops! The Mega16 is 44 pin. Forget the part about chopping.

In that case it should be fair easy to make the board you have to work. You might need to cut some traces and add bodge wires. Just make sure the chip gets 5V and ground on the proper pins, as well as the 4 SPI: MOSI, MISO, SCK, RST. (From datasheet)

Here ya go... only $1.70
https://www.ebay.com/itm/291550040876
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 03:52:18 am by timelessbeing »

Offline pepe10000

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4703 on: April 25, 2018, 06:03:02 am »
ATmega8 ATmega48 ATMEGA88 Development Board AVR DIY Kit + USBASP AVR AC-PG-USBASP-UG-V2.0 (inside a box printed in 3D) programming one of my ATMEGA328P-PU for an AY-AT tester.

A greeting.

The following users thanked this post: edavid

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4704 on: April 25, 2018, 11:17:19 am »
Hi, everybody! :D
I picked up a new firmware revision 790  from Karl-Heinz  for the device BsideESR02 and DTU-1701. In archive 2 firmwares with English language and a font 8x12 and 8x15, different in thickness. The bootpage for convenient use of a device is also a little edited.In the photo 2 different versions fonts of a firmware with Russian are only for evident comparing.

The following users thanked this post: 4RESTER, chansw, bmjjr

Offline BroMarduk

• Supporter
« Reply #4705 on: April 25, 2018, 05:56:52 pm »
Wow ... is it really as easy as that and nothing more is required?  :)

That's how we did it in the "old" days with just a breadboard and jumper wires!

Full disclosure, I NOW have multiple ZIF sockets - which come in handy when programming chips in bulk.

Dan

Offline BroMarduk

• Supporter
« Reply #4706 on: April 25, 2018, 06:07:05 pm »
BTW, if you find yourself programming the chips often, having the socket boards is great.   They have the power LED and reset buttons to make things easier.   Just keep in mind that most of the cheap prices are kits and by the time you build and test the kit, you could have run the jumpers to the breadboard multiple times :).

Offline CheckOne Two

• Contributor
« Reply #4707 on: April 26, 2018, 01:11:13 pm »
Thanks for the help and suggestions all!

The dev board kits are too expensive here in the UK and I can't be bothered waiting for delivery from far east ...

So I think I'll just wire up a spare 28 pin Zif socket as per the wiring diagrams above and we'll see if I can get my head around programming the new firmware with AVRDUDE in win10  :)

If anybody has a link to a complete step by step tutorial that would be relevant for programming the transistor tester's firmware onto a 328 controller that would be of great help to me.

I know it's probably really easy ... I've just never done it before and would like to be sure the instructions I'm following are relevant for this application.

Offline timelessbeing

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4708 on: April 26, 2018, 07:27:03 pm »
Step 1 - download & extract the program package (posted on first page of this topic). Read the readme.

Step 2 - Find the directory containing the firmware appropriate for your flavour of clone and flash it to your 328.
(search eevblog forum for "transistor checker avrdude" for the commands)

Offline CheckOne Two

• Contributor
« Reply #4709 on: April 27, 2018, 05:23:29 am »
Ok ... I've got it programming properly now  :)

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #4710 on: April 27, 2018, 03:05:20 pm »
A quick update on the remote commands. After checking different ways to design a command interface the most suitable method is to simply follow the component output processing. Any other method would increase the RAM usage significantly. So far I've implemented a few basic commands like returning the firmware version for example. The interesting part is how to get the probing results. It's going to be a bunch of commands for retrieving specific information or values. After probing a component you'd issue a "COMP" to get the type of component (resistor, BJT, ...). Then another command to get the pinout or other details. So we will have a dedicated command for each information or value. This allows you to retrieve specific details without fetching everything. If you want to select or sort resistors you'd simply get the component type, and if it's a resistor then get the resistance value. It should be fairly simple to write a script or app for specific tasks. Please let me know if I missed anything or if you see any problems.

Offline dathjeugjaqn

« Reply #4711 on: May 01, 2018, 04:50:47 am »

Hi everybody! I am not an avr programmer but I have bought a multi function tester TC1 from china. but it does not work now. Show only white screen. Who has the TC1 firmware for me please file? thanks a lot!

Offline timelessbeing

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4712 on: May 01, 2018, 07:20:28 am »
Who has the TC1 firmware for me please file?
Just look 3 posts behind yours.

Online Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Old analog audio hand - No voodoo.
« Reply #4713 on: May 01, 2018, 01:11:41 pm »
Any other method would increase the RAM usage significantly.

Which TT circuit are you using? Surely not one with the venerable 328 since utilisation
of its capacity is already basically at 100% and there is no TTL input pin either.  :palm:
I'd like to know in order to get ready for programming the command output. :scared:
Agilent 34465A, Siglent SDG 2042X, Hameg HMO1022, R&S HMC 8043, Peaktech 2025A, Voltcraft VC 940, M-Audio Audiophile 192, R&S Psophometer UPGR, 3 Transistor Testers, DL4JAL Transistor Curve Tracer, UT622E LCR meter

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4714 on: May 01, 2018, 02:15:36 pm »
I'm testing the bidirectional TTL serial interface and the remote commands on an ATmega644 dev board (similar to the 644 circuit in Karl-Heinz' documentation). I've posted the circuit diagram a while ago. A 328 might work too if you disable most additional features and use a I2C display to free up pins for the serial interface. After adding the remote commands I'll be able to give you a number.

The following users thanked this post: Messtechniker

Offline dathjeugjaqn

« Reply #4715 on: May 03, 2018, 03:24:57 pm »
IIRC, the Z180SN009 is based on the ST7735S. That controller supports up to 132x162 dots but the LCDs are 128x160 usually. A 128x160 LCD module could be wired starting at different addresses. Additionally the ST7735S has three pins for setting the LCD's resolution to either 132x162 or 128x160 which implies a specific wiring offset (moved to the mid). Maybe there are 128x160 modules wired starting at 1x1 but set to 132x162. When directions are flipped we'd get offset problems. So we need an option to shift x and y by the module specific offsets to cope with all the possible variations. And there's still the issue with the additional MCU controlling some important signals. Does anyone like to sponsor a TC-1 for reverse engineering and testing?

Can you give me the firmware of TC1?

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4716 on: May 03, 2018, 04:14:59 pm »
Sorry, I don't have a copy of the TC1's firmware.

The following users thanked this post: dathjeugjaqn

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4717 on: May 05, 2018, 04:31:47 pm »
I don't know why your tester reads larger caps a few percent low, but you could change the correction factor. Look for following lines in function LargeCap() in cap.c:
Code: [Select]
    if (Mode & PULL_10MS) Value /= 109;   /* -9% for large cap */
    else Value /= 104;                    /* -4% for mid-sized cap */

Large cap means capacitance > 47µF, and mid-sized cap 4.7 - 47µF. Simply lower the divisor to get a higher capacitance value.

Hi,madires!Whether there is an opportunity to make the same correction for capacitance lower than 4.7 µF?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 07:34:45 pm by indman »

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4718 on: May 06, 2018, 10:25:23 am »
Yes, that's going to be CAP_FACTOR_SMALL. I've already added CAP_FACTOR_MID and CAP_FACTOR_LARGE to set the correction factors for the other measurement ranges in case someone wants to adjust them.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 10:27:06 am by madires »

The following users thanked this post: indman

Offline timelessbeing

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4719 on: May 10, 2018, 04:55:44 am »
I have added a protection relay to my tester. It is essentially the same as described in the KHK manual.

I'm using Markus 1.32 firmware, and I have enabled "#define HW_DISCHARGE_RELAY" in config.h

But the relay does not energize when I test a component. I know my gizmo works, because if I manually apply 5V to PC4, I can hear the relay click.

Any ideas?

Offline shyney

« Reply #4720 on: May 10, 2018, 10:42:27 am »
Hello everybody,

I'm a beginner in electronics and that's why I thought this tester is pretty handy for me.
I ordered one from AliExpress and since I own a 3D Printer I thought that I can print a case for it by searching for stl files on thingiverse.
Unfortunately I can't find any Stl files for my particular model. I would really appreciate if someone of you who already owns a stl file would share it with me.
This is the model I own:
https://imgur.com/a/7XLNXCI
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 10:44:35 am by shyney »

Offline pepe10000

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4721 on: May 10, 2018, 11:18:36 am »
Hello everybody,

I'm a beginner in electronics and that's why I thought this tester is pretty handy for me.
I ordered one from AliExpress and since I own a 3D Printer I thought that I can print a case for it by searching for stl files on thingiverse.
Unfortunately I can't find any Stl files for my particular model. I would really appreciate if someone of you who already owns a stl file would share it with me.
This is the model I own:
https://imgur.com/a/7XLNXCI

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/show-us-your-$20-transistor-tester-enclosures-and-mods/50/

A greeting.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4722 on: May 10, 2018, 11:20:41 am »
I have added a protection relay to my tester. It is essentially the same as described in the KHK manual.

I'm using Markus 1.32 firmware, and I have enabled "#define HW_DISCHARGE_RELAY" in config.h

But the relay does not energize when I test a component. I know my gizmo works, because if I manually apply 5V to PC4, I can hear the relay click.

Any ideas?

Does your tester have a rotary encoder?

Offline KD0CAC John

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4723 on: May 10, 2018, 03:55:58 pm »
I bought one of the 328 testers a few yrs. ago , haven't done any firmware upgrades , generally works well .
Question is , looking to build a new kit for several reasons , if I try to change firmware [ not proficient with programing etc. ] so not wanting to make my current unit unusable so the interest in finding a newer maybe better unit to build and update , also would like to get one that either comes with a case , or has one available - but I like the surface mount test-bed , so want it .
Maybe trying to have my cake & eat it too ;) , having plugin connectors for more versatile use , neither to eliminate the lockable holder .
I've search here & eBay for options , but get lost in the high volume of pages here & different descriptions on eBay .
Related , lots of forums subject get popular / lengthy and seem that they could benefit from some type of outline for those  that like me came early - and then came back late , or those that just came late ;) ?
Hopefully this helps ?
Thanks for all that have put lots of work into this .       

Offline timelessbeing

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4724 on: May 10, 2018, 07:03:30 pm »
@madires

Yes, on PD1 & PD3.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf