Author Topic: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project  (Read 3438710 times)

Offline perieanuo

• Frequent Contributor
Re: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project
« Reply #4850 on: June 14, 2018, 07:51:12 pm »
hello,
I just tried v 1.33m on ay-at clone with 7735 LCD, cryqtal 20 Mhz.
BD237 is detected as NFET, after 3 calibrations I still got big errors on 2200uF capacitor, 22pF seen as 30 pF, some resistors also bad measurements (30K in place of 33K).

IMHO the calibration needs a real procedure from A to Z also for new users.

Reflashed 1.29m, back to correct values(I made always backup for .hex and .eep after calibrating and validating the measurements with verified R/C/Q).

I'm not critic, I just try to make the world a better place :)
Best regards to all,
Ovidiu
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 08:38:17 am by perieanuo »

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #4851 on: June 15, 2018, 01:23:04 pm »
I've checked a few large caps with a LCR meter, an 8MHz 328 and 16MHz 644 transistor tester running the latest m-firmware, but wasn't able to reproduce the issue. Could you please PM me your config.h and config_328.h for 1.29m and 1.33m?

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4852 on: June 15, 2018, 02:49:47 pm »
Here's the complete modification package for the TC-1:

The following users thanked this post: jellytot, Marcos

Offline jellytot

• Contributor
« Reply #4853 on: June 15, 2018, 10:06:24 pm »
Here's the complete modification package for the TC-1:

Nice work madires  :-+ At least now when I kill my current atmega I will have a way to reuse the TC-1   :)  and maybe with further development I might just scrap the original software for
this user friendly upgradable one.  ;)

Offline joeyjoejoe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4854 on: June 15, 2018, 10:37:46 pm »
Is there some sort of modification to the Fish8840TFT to prevent the 3v3 regulator from blowing up when flashing it?

Offline perieanuo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4855 on: June 18, 2018, 04:43:01 pm »
try to add a 3.7V (or 4.1) zener between 3v3 reg output and GND-anode to GND, and a schottky diode between input and output of 3v3 regulator with anode on out and cathode on input.maybe a 5v6 zener on input, then you're immortel.I think the spikes kill the 3v3 reg.
best regards,ovidiu

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4856 on: June 19, 2018, 07:00:44 pm »
While checking the configuration for the TC-1 I've noticed that the power supply seems to need additional or larger decoupling caps. I also had to lower the voltage of the brown-out detection (e-fuse).

The following users thanked this post: Marcos, elecdonia

Offline timelessbeing

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4857 on: June 22, 2018, 04:28:13 am »
Just for curiosity's sake, I decided to photograph the ATMEGA that came with my component tester alongside a brand new one I just ordered from Microchip. They look very similar, except the laser markings on the new chip are much better quality.

Are there any tests for identifying counterfeits?

Offline timelessbeing

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4858 on: June 22, 2018, 04:29:32 am »
(previous post size was exceeded)

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4859 on: June 22, 2018, 09:46:46 am »
Hasn't the one with the higher quality markings the later production date stamp? Maybe they got new lasers. The markings on my Atmel MCUs with on older production date are also a bit weak.

Offline timelessbeing

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4860 on: June 22, 2018, 07:23:00 pm »
You could be right.

Top on says '1725' ... 25th week of 2017 I'm guessing.

Bottom one (came with tester): 35th week of 2015.
The chip factory to eBay seller time would have to be relatively quick. I ordered my tester on the 50th week of 2015.

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4861 on: June 23, 2018, 04:44:01 am »
Just for curiosity's sake, I decided to photograph the ATMEGA that came with my component tester alongside a brand new one I just ordered from Microchip. They look very similar, except the laser markings on the new chip are much better quality.

No, because one has ever seen a counterfeit AVR chip  :-//

Offline robca

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4862 on: June 23, 2018, 03:41:22 pm »

No, because one has ever seen a counterfeit AVR chip  :-//
There were cases of companies being sold duds instead of AVR chips (https://www.sparkfun.com/news/350), which is what some people might be referring to. But you are right, there are no known cases of working (or semi-working) AVR chips (unlike, say, many buck regulators chips, where the fakes work enough like the original to pass a cursory test; pretty much any buck regulator from eBay China is built on a counterfeit chip)

Chip rebadging is also common: take a chip, erase the markings, replace the markings with the ones for the came chip with higher specs (i.e. an Intel processor rebadged to look like a faster version, or higher temp tolerances)

Offline ziplock9000

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4863 on: June 23, 2018, 04:59:26 pm »
I just bought this one (M328P LCR-T4, MTester) from Amazon UK for £5.72 GBP
https://www.amazon.co.uk/SODIAL-Quality-Transistor-Capacitance-Inductance/dp/B015X8Q1DS/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1529772441&sr=1-1-fkmr1&keywords=SODIAL%28R%29+High+Quality+Brand+New+LCR-T4+ESR+Meter+Transistor+Tester+Diode+Triode+Capacitance+SCR+Inductanc

It seems to be identical to the one in Dave's video. It identifies itself as an MTESTER on the LCD and LCR-T4 on the Amazon page, but with no firmware version numbers at all. I've just ran some very cursory tests and it seems to fail on a BF245A JFET, which it thinks is a BJT (shown in the attached images below). I need to do more extensive testing and post them here if anyone cares?

I'd like to identify and update the firmware if it helps with component identification and accuracy. I'll need to dig through this monster thread. I've seen the firmware listing (possibly) on www.mikrocontroller.net, but I'd need more help I think :-\

UPDATE: I found the post https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/$20-lcr-esr-transistor-checker-project/msg659867/#msg659867

« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 05:09:16 pm by ziplock9000 »

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4864 on: June 24, 2018, 10:00:51 am »
k-firmware: mega328_T3_T4_st7565 or mega328_T4_v2_st7565
m-firmware: see Clones file for the settings for T3/T4

The following users thanked this post: edavid, ziplock9000

Offline Azure

• Contributor
« Reply #4865 on: June 27, 2018, 07:08:17 am »
The next m-firmware version will include the settings for the TC-1 (in the "Clones" file).
I  may be looking in the wrong place, can someone provide a link to the file Madires mentions.

I am trying to upgrade one of my TC1 units.  I have attached a schematic I put together, it may not be 100% but should be close, let me know if you think there are errors and I can check.

I have upgraded the processor to a ATMEGA644PA-AU.  Will probably ask questions as I try and figure out how to build config files and choose correct options.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 07:18:37 am by Azure »

The following users thanked this post: elecdonia

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4866 on: June 27, 2018, 10:47:03 am »
The k and m firmware won't run on an unmodified TC-1 because of the additional MCU U4. But it's possible to replace U4 with a small circuit which I've posted on this page. Also I've run into problems with the TC-1's power supply, it's not stable. The "Clones" file is in the m-firmware's tgz archive and lists settings for a few clones and some hints. And here's the wiring of the LCD for your diagram:

PB7 (SCK)  - LCD SCK
PB6 (MISO) - LCD SDA
PB5 (MOSI) - LCD A0
PB4             - LCD /RESET

If the designer of the clone would have payed more attention to the pin assignment the TC-1 would be able to use the hardware SPI for driving the LCD.

Offline KD0CAC John

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4867 on: June 27, 2018, 12:31:28 pm »
This is another time & place where mentioning some sellers to buy from , or not , to help avoid buyers from ending up with problems ?

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4868 on: June 27, 2018, 01:08:57 pm »
The AY-AT clone is still the best choice at the moment, IMHO. I wonder why none of the Chinese clone manufacturers has contacted us for collaboration yet. They could sell a nice clone with an ATmega644 and a few hardware options, and we would take care about the firmware as we already do.

The following users thanked this post: elecdonia

Offline KD0CAC John

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4869 on: June 27, 2018, 02:36:50 pm »
Thanks madires for the replies .
The 1st one I bought is deep in my ebay to find , the one I got last week is this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-DIY-KITS-GM328-Transistor-Tester-Diode-Cap-ESR-Volt-Freq-Meter-PWM/182586325643?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
I must have mixed up , the too many I was looking at , I was expecting one with the clear case , oh well .
And now you mention another hope-full coming out with the ATmega644 , maybe the 3rd .
On the one I bought , hopefully to help someone , they had a couple of electrolytic caps - that were to tall - they held the display from fully seating into the socket , also could not reach the stand-offs for hold down .
Then the screws for the stand-offs heads could reach solder points on the other side of board .
The kinda stuff that if a builder knew in advance , you could mount the caps horizontal & glue down - rather than like I did after the build - try to seat display and then found issues , dismount caps add wire to mount horizontal vs. vertical .
Now have to find a way to calibrate - this has internal calibrate and is off , do not remember how good the matching values can be .

Offline b_force

• Super Contributor
    • One World Concepts
« Reply #4870 on: June 27, 2018, 02:42:49 pm »
I'd like to identify and update the firmware if it helps with component identification and accuracy. I'll need to dig through this monster thread. I
UPDATE: I found the post https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/$20-lcr-esr-transistor-checker-project/msg659867/#msg659867
Maybe it's an idea that someone actually can make a summary, make a new topic and make that as a sticky?
I have the idea that a few people here know exactly what's going on and what/where to find everything.
But to me it's also a huge maze to go through.

Offline ziplock9000

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4871 on: June 27, 2018, 02:45:33 pm »
I'd like to identify and update the firmware if it helps with component identification and accuracy. I'll need to dig through this monster thread. I
Maybe it's an idea that someone actually can make a summary, make a new topic and make that as a sticky?
I have the idea that a few people here know exactly what's going on and what/where to find everything.
But to me it's also a huge maze to go through.
Yeah it's a bit confusing for me too although I'm starting to get my head around it. Especially since I have to set up a compile environment and edit make files. I'm surprised nobody has set up a self contained wizard that asks you a few questions, has a self contained compiler and uploads the end product to the MCU. All nicely wrapped up in a single download and .exe

Offline UKTech

« Reply #4872 on: June 27, 2018, 11:27:38 pm »
Hi all
I've been lurking now for quite sometime but thought I'd better register into this forum and thank everyone for all the knowledge that I've gained and a special thanks to madires and KH for all the support that is given to us all. What a fantastic forum subject we've got. I now have two of these little mighty meters and just ordered the third, an AY-AT clone with the colour screen and the rotary encoder, so will be updating as soon as it arrives on the slow boat. The last one was a TC4 and the other is one of the early ones that I've just put into the old test gear box.
I'm an old timer but enjoyed electronics way back when I was conciderably younger and transistors were the thing, but at least I saw the first i.c.'s come in, what fun were those 555 things. I decided that when I retired I'd pick this hobby up again and also have a play with 3DPrinting, well I've played quite well with the Tevo Black Widow 3DPrinter and I've had built a nice shed for the electronics, I've spent quite sometime with the Arduino, so now to play.
I can honestly say that I've just finished reading all 195 pages and will rescan to pick up the parts that I've tagged that are of special interest to me.
Sorry to have taken up so much of the page but just had to say.......
Thanks again to everyone.

Offline Azure

• Contributor
« Reply #4873 on: June 28, 2018, 03:45:47 am »
The k and m firmware won't run on an unmodified TC-1 because of the additional MCU U4. But it's possible to replace U4 with a small circuit which I've posted on this page. Also I've run into problems with the TC-1's power supply, it's not stable. The "Clones" file is in the m-firmware's tgz archive and lists settings for a few clones and some hints. And here's the wiring of the LCD for your diagram:

PB7 (SCK)  - LCD SCK
PB6 (MISO) - LCD SDA
PB5 (MOSI) - LCD A0
PB4             - LCD /RESET

If the designer of the clone would have payed more attention to the pin assignment the TC-1 would be able to use the hardware SPI for driving the LCD.
I agree it is annoying that they don't publish their changes to the code or schematic.  Given that there are a lot of these units out there, which will most likely end up faulty and people want to get them going or upgrade them with newer features functions: Isn't it possible to modify the "m" version code to support the configuration utilising U4.  I am happy to try and give the changes a go.  I have a working TC1 with original 324 chip I can use to check things (take measurements) and also as a reference. I have another one I am trying to modify which now has a blank 644 in place.

For reference the 2 PCB's appear to be almost the same.  Only differences I have spotted are (as per my schematic in previous post) C11 now has a second Cap C12 in parallel and any higher numbered Caps have been renumbered by +1 (C12-C23 become C13-C24).  EN pad had been moved from the edge to near the middle.  D2 is physically smaller.  All of the other traces and vias and components on the PCB appear to be placed and route exactly the same.  I will draw an updated diagram and post if it anyone wants it.  I can also take a picture of the 2 different but similar PCB's and post those if people are interested.

I do want to get my second unit with the 644 working with more of the new code features eventually, also very keen to try and contribute in any way I can to help others.  I have adequate test gear for the task (lab bench supplies, 4ch digital and analogue scopes, 5 1/2 digit mm, basic signal generator, simple logic analyzers, tools for surface and PTH rework, AVR JTAGICE3...).

I am new to the source repository and find this thread very useful but still not sure which repository version to download as a starting point for converting a TC1 with ATMEGA 324.  I downloaded ComponentTest 1.33m and it does not have an archive folder, so I must have the wrong file.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 06:46:43 am by Azure »

Offline perieanuo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4874 on: June 28, 2018, 06:06:59 am »
Download all from start page

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf