Author Topic: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project  (Read 3447104 times)

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
Re: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project
« Reply #4875 on: June 28, 2018, 12:59:17 pm »
Maybe it's an idea that someone actually can make a summary, make a new topic and make that as a sticky?
I have the idea that a few people here know exactly what's going on and what/where to find everything.
But to me it's also a huge maze to go through.

jakeisprobably started working on a FAQ/how-to a while ago but I don't know the current status.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4876 on: June 28, 2018, 01:02:41 pm »
I can honestly say that I've just finished reading all 195 pages and will rescan to pick up the parts that I've tagged that are of special interest to me.

Wow! I hope it wasn't too boring ;)

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4877 on: June 28, 2018, 01:22:40 pm »
Isn't it possible to modify the "m" version code to support the configuration utilising U4.

Unfortunately U4 doesn't simply simulate a button press or read the power-on signal, it uses a serial protocol to communicate with the ATmega.

I will draw an updated diagram and post if it anyone wants it.  I can also take a picture of the 2 different but similar PCB's and post those if people are interested.

I'm sure some users would be interested in your diagram and the pictures.

I am new to the source repository and find this thread very useful but still not sure which repository version to download as a starting point for converting a TC1 with ATMEGA 324.  I downloaded ComponentTest 1.33m and it does not have an archive folder, so I must have the wrong file.

The "Clones" file is part of the ComponentTester-1.33m.tgz archive.

Offline b_force

• Super Contributor
    • One World Concepts
« Reply #4878 on: June 28, 2018, 01:52:52 pm »
Maybe it's an idea that someone actually can make a summary, make a new topic and make that as a sticky?
I have the idea that a few people here know exactly what's going on and what/where to find everything.
But to me it's also a huge maze to go through.

jakeisprobably started working on a FAQ/how-to a while ago but I don't know the current status.
Just a post were people van even find the links for downloads and the global differences?
At this moment people need to read through a whole bunch of pages to discover that the firmware can even be changed.

Offline timelessbeing

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4879 on: June 28, 2018, 06:37:15 pm »
At this moment people need to read through a whole bunch of pages to discover that the firmware can even be changed.
Everybody who says this clearly didn't try. It's on the first page

Offline Azure

• Contributor
« Reply #4880 on: June 29, 2018, 05:30:15 am »
OK, I have just finished a marathon post read of all 196 pages.  I did skim read but was trying to focus on the progress of the various hardware/software versions not specific faults.

I have hopefully read all the TC1 posts.  Seems several have been down this road before me.  I would prefer to not have to change U4 for now and try to see if we can understand it.

My plan is to try and do the following (for TC1 style):
Verify what the supply voltages are like on a working unmodified unit (using scope and 5 1/2 digit DMM measurements);
Update my schematic with more info as provided by previous posts;
Make the previously suggested mods to my second unit (now sporting a 644) 0.1% test resistors, replace 78L05 vreg and/or TL431 vref chips;
Make improvements to 5v rail on second unit as previuosly suggested by Madires;
Look at any variations on U4 signals (long press/short/double press) from previous waveforms posted;
Try and decode the power on protocol between U4 and U1.

Hope that might help to confirm this clones strange behaviour and make it a working part of the clone configs info.  Please let me know if any of it is useful or just a waste of time.

If there is anything else needed I have missed regarding the TC1 that I can possibly do please let me know.

Offline Azure

• Contributor
« Reply #4881 on: June 29, 2018, 12:20:48 pm »
I am trying to work out what is available as a replacement part to improve the 5v regulation on the TC1 from the 78L05 SOT-89 they use.

Would anyone with knowledge of the tolerance requirements cast your eyes over the attached specs of a couple of pin compatible SOT-89 LDO's with better line and load regulation I have found?

Below are links to the data sheets, could not attach them (not for lack of trying, they were over the size limit allowed):
Element14, LD2981 http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/2310115.pdf?_ga=2.139301427.1894826597.1530201477-1167880404.1500891526
Mouser/Digikey AP7381 https://au.mouser.com/datasheet/2/115/AP7381-1220674.pdf

If these look suitable I will order the one from Element14 first and see how they perform.

Offline perieanuo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4882 on: June 29, 2018, 12:30:25 pm »
I am trying to work out what is available as a replacement part to improve the 5v regulation on the TC1 from the 78L05 SOT-89 they use.

Would anyone with knowledge of the tolerance requirements cast your eyes over the attached specs of a couple of pin compatible SOT-89 LDO's with better line and load regulation I have found?

Below are links to the data sheets, could not attach them (not for lack of trying, they were over the size limit allowed):
Element14, LD2981 http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/2310115.pdf?_ga=2.139301427.1894826597.1530201477-1167880404.1500891526
Mouser/Digikey AP7381 https://au.mouser.com/datasheet/2/115/AP7381-1220674.pdf

If these look suitable I will order the one from Element14 first and see how they perform.
You don't need ldo you need precision regulators I guess.

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

Offline Azure

• Contributor
« Reply #4883 on: June 29, 2018, 01:21:05 pm »
You don't need ldo you need precision regulators I guess.

Most precision vregs are around +-2% which is not as good as the ones suggested like MCP1702.  The ones I suggested are better precision and can be soldered directly in place of the TC1's 78L05, the MCP1702 like most others have different pinouts are not a direct replacement.

Offline perieanuo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4884 on: June 29, 2018, 01:48:57 pm »
pinout is not really the point.you have tons of precision regs and you find easy some place to adapt. the realy issue is in fact temperature drift... I remember lt1461 series as example

Envoyé de mon HUAWEI NXT-L29 en utilisant Tapatalk

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4885 on: June 29, 2018, 02:12:37 pm »
Some thoughts about selecting a voltage regulator for the Transistor Tester:
- It should handle 100mA (MCU) plus whatever is needed for display and hardware options.
  The MCU does need much less in average but a few checks use high currents very briefly.
- It should be able to handle rapid load changes (sleep mode, normal operation, high current checks, hardware options).
- It should have a good regulation to keep the voltage stable under changing loads.
- It doesn't need to be one with a low output voltage tolerance but such a regulator would improve the tester's accuracy.

We recommend the MCP1702 (250mA, 0.4%, about EUR 0.60). Affordable and much better than a LM78L05 plus TL431.

This brings us to the external voltage reference. The purpose of the reference is to determine Vcc and therefore it should have a tolerance at least one order of magnitude better than the voltage regulator's tolerance. A TL431 is ok for a 78L05, a LM4040 would be better. If you use a MCP1702 you don't need a reference at all unless you're a voltage nut :).

I hope this helps with the selection of the voltage regulator and external voltage reference.

Offline perieanuo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4886 on: June 29, 2018, 02:24:27 pm »
I don't agree,microchip says in datasheet Vout could be bttween 5V -3% and 5V+3% for MCP1702.No way 0.4%.
And I saw this often confirmed in real life.
That's why I proposed the LT.just as example.
Regards,ovidiu

Offline UKTech

« Reply #4887 on: June 29, 2018, 09:51:08 pm »
madires   "Wow! I hope it wasn't too boring"

To be honest it has been a good read, it's always good to read, and a day without learning is a day wasted, that's how I see it.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 10:16:06 pm by UKTech »

Offline pierreraymondrondelle

• Contributor
« Reply #4888 on: June 30, 2018, 08:05:42 am »
read again, the folowing is an abstract of the Microchip MCP1702 datasheet:

"The MCP1702 is capable of delivering 250 mA with
only 625 mV (typical) of input to output voltage
differential (VOUT = 2.8V). The output voltage tolerance
of the MCP1702 is typically ±0.4% at +25°C and ±3%
maximum over the operating junction temperature
range of -40°C to +125°C
. Line regulation is ±0.1%
typical at +25°C".
Do you really use electronic circuits at home and operate your tester over this range ?
EDIT:
reading further, @25°C, min and max Output Voltage tolerance remains within +-2% !
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 08:19:21 am by pierreraymondrondelle »

Offline b_force

• Super Contributor
    • One World Concepts
« Reply #4889 on: June 30, 2018, 09:19:12 pm »
I think it's more clearly that the amount of information is overwhelming.

The following users thanked this post: Vaiti

Offline perieanuo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4890 on: July 01, 2018, 12:54:01 pm »
read again, the folowing is an abstract of the Microchip MCP1702 datasheet:

"The MCP1702 is capable of delivering 250 mA with
only 625 mV (typical) of input to output voltage
differential (VOUT = 2.8V). The output voltage tolerance
of the MCP1702 is typically ±0.4% at +25°C and ±3%
maximum over the operating junction temperature
range of -40°C to +125°C
. Line regulation is ±0.1%
typical at +25°C".
Do you really use electronic circuits at home and operate your tester over this range ?
EDIT:
reading further, @25°C, min and max Output Voltage tolerance remains within +-2% !
Have your even seen a pro calculating regarding 'typically' values?
If anyone bother to change something in this meter should not regard for 2 euros cheaper but in components with slow drift and higher precision, in fact I do so.
And second I prefer leave microchip power products to begginers, they never give satisfaction.have you seen lot of microchip power stuff in laptops for example?have you wondered why they use LT or others?
You can recomend what you consider,as I do based on my own experience.
And 'it's pin to pin compatible' also I don't even consider for a 3 pin device, I just find a place for the replacement.
Mods is for advertised people, who can switch pin 2 with pin 3 if necessary.
I'll never reply to this kind of post,it's not professional, just ego stuff.
Ovidiu

Offline CNC Engineer

« Reply #4891 on: July 01, 2018, 06:34:57 pm »
I saw the TC-1 but also a TC-6 and a TC-7.
Does anyone know the differences?

Thanks, CNC Engineer.

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4892 on: July 02, 2018, 03:10:41 pm »
CNC Engineer,these devices imeet very similar functionality and differ only in the display which is used. LCR-TC1, LCR-TC7-colored display. LCR-TC6 - the monochrome display.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 03:12:31 pm by indman »

Offline timelessbeing

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4893 on: July 03, 2018, 07:29:05 pm »
I think it's more clearly that the amount of information is overwhelming.

:'(

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
« Reply #4894 on: July 07, 2018, 09:37:24 am »
Food for thought.. I was thinking about an alternate "headless" technician version of the AVR tester:

Why not send display data via USB serial protocol and have an easy to read screen app on the host that stores all the graphics (to free-up AVR memory allowing an on-board 5v-to-??v boost convertor to run tests at higher voltages and higher current?

But then again, maybe it's been done? Maybe there's also a USB OTG version?  :palm:

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4895 on: July 07, 2018, 10:39:08 am »
The next m-firmware version will have a VT100 display driver (incl. color support) which outputs everything via a TTL serial interface. Only the fancy symbols are missing.

The following users thanked this post: Cliff Matthews

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
« Reply #4896 on: July 07, 2018, 11:59:23 am »
So it's conceivable a variant could send simplistic raw data, symbol number and pin order then?

IMHO, ditching display for USB OTG (w/ DC-DC step-up) and Android app would make this more usable in 3rd world countries
 (9v cells cost precious $ and many basic tech's have a cell-phone but no PC)

* Without symbols precious AVR memory could run PWM step-up supply voltage (but I really don't know if it's feasible..)

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4897 on: July 08, 2018, 10:06:32 am »
Actually it should be simple to extract the component type and its pinout from the serial output. Another way would be to enable the remote commands to retrieve type and pinout directly.

The following users thanked this post: Cliff Matthews

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
« Reply #4898 on: July 08, 2018, 11:07:08 am »
Actually it should be simple to extract the component type and its pinout from the serial output. Another way would be to enable the remote commands to retrieve type and pinout directly.
So one question remains then: after deleting all symbols/cost &requirements for LCD, is there enough code room and AVR performance left to take the 5v from USB OTG and boost it high enough to power a regulator for test voltages? *Edit: NJM78L09UA-TE1 is about 20cents, so with a USB connector, inductor, transistor, etc.. mfg's can produce at equal cost.

Who knows, maybe even total screen control can eliminate the button and one might conceive a way to do AVR firmware updates too. This is a tech-tool and most of us have phones and PC's and don't like constantly buying 9v batteries. Yes, stand-alone is good (I've gone through 3 already) but I'd prefer a USB version if it existed.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 12:48:45 pm by Cliff Matthews »

The following users thanked this post: Coldblackice

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4899 on: July 08, 2018, 03:07:35 pm »
I'd use a high efficient boost converter chip to boost the USB's 5V or a LiPo's 3.7V and add a LDO for the 5V post-regulation. For some components a switchable high test voltage would interesting but this would also require a more complex input circuitry and an external ADC. With the next m-firmware version you can remove the display and use the freed I/O pins for a bit-bang serial interface. Add an USB2serial adapter and a boost converter plus an optional LiPo incl. charger chip (see the TC-1 clone for example), and use a simple VT100 terminal program on your PC or smartphone. Or go for a Bluetooth2serial adapter.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf