Author Topic: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project  (Read 3407827 times)

Offline Scottjd

• Frequent Contributor
    • YouTube Gadget Reveiws
Re: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project
« Reply #1150 on: August 17, 2015, 08:45:04 pm »
Thanks madires, but the shipping may be a deal breaker. It looks like a nice unit, but also looks like it's mainly sold in Germany and my German is rusty. I haven't spoke it since high school.
I think I need to give the one back I bought, and get the EZM Electronic one from page 63 since it looks like the closest Chinese made one to the intended specs and had the SPI pin wholes ready to flash.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/$20-lcr-esr-transistor-checker-project/930/
Is this the closest to actual specs for what the software was intended to operate? Or is their another I have not seen yet?

The yellow one from LCR-T4 also being made by SainSmart looks like it's also following close to specs, but he one I have now is a EZM and it's clean, good solder joints and no mess. That just means I have to get it from eBay.

I've attached a  the picture of the one I bought fromEZM and it works great, looks nice on the display and all but 5 frequencies work on my RIGOL SD1054Z. The only problem is that even it I buy your recommended programer if it was available to ship to me in English I would still need another board to plug the chip into. I would hate to return something that works, so maybe I'll keep it as a backup.

Does anyone know what this trip pot is installed for on the one in the picture? It's under the bottom left corner of the LCD. Maybe it was for contrast before the setting was moved to a software adjustable?
But it doesn't seem to effect anything, the PWM, square wave signal, transistor meter, frequency counter and all are not effected by me changing this pot?????
Please be sure to check out my YouTube channel and subscribe if you like the videos. https://www.youtube.com/c/GadgetReviewVideos

By people subscribing and giving thumbs up I know what I am doing is still wanted and adding value, then will continue to release new videos. Thank you for your support.

Offline rddube

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1151 on: August 18, 2015, 12:02:29 am »
Hello everyone,

I have the yellow tester that Tom666 mentionned in an earlier post (T3_T4 ST 7565 tester). When I go into the function menu and select Frequency, it shows me Frequency f = 0HZ, and a second later a blank screen. It seems to be locked on the blank screen because whatever I do (press the button short press, long press, etc.) nothing happens. I have to disconnect the battery to be able to restart the tester.

I am running version 1.12k release 508.

Is there something wrong with the function Frequency or is it just my tester?

Many thanks!

Offline Gixy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1152 on: August 18, 2015, 05:16:07 am »
@rddube
For the pot read my last message a few posts above.

Offline wasyoungonce

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1153 on: August 18, 2015, 07:50:32 am »
Thanks madires,.......................I've attached a  the picture of the one I bought fromEZM and it works great,........................

This is the one I have....no programming port....Sigh! I missed that.  Mine does not have the pot.  Just putting mine in a case now.   Guess I'll have to parallel program update it using my TL866 but I think I need an external crystal and are a little unsure.  Think my firmware is 1.11 or 1.12...sorry don't know as I've removed the LCD to lower it and the ZIF socket atm.  I'll post back when done in the case.
I'd forget my Head if it wasn't screwed on!

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #1154 on: August 18, 2015, 09:38:03 am »
I have the yellow tester that Tom666 mentionned in an earlier post (T3_T4 ST 7565 tester). When I go into the function menu and select Frequency, it shows me Frequency f = 0HZ, and a second later a blank screen. It seems to be locked on the blank screen because whatever I do (press the button short press, long press, etc.) nothing happens. I have to disconnect the battery to be able to restart the tester.

Is there something wrong with the function Frequency or is it just my tester?

Seems to be the frequency counter which requires a small hardware add-on. The square wave generator is "f-Generator".

Offline tom666

• Regular Contributor
    • Slovak discussion forum - AVR Component Tester (RLC/ESR & Semiconductors Tester)
« Reply #1155 on: August 18, 2015, 02:24:31 pm »
I tested the current revision 508 (v1.12k) on my LCR-T3 tester and everything works normally even without the add-on frequency measurement. For the power supply I use the 9V battery.

Offline amirtebyan

« Reply #1156 on: August 18, 2015, 07:19:10 pm »
hi

does atmega2560 version support all feature like atmega328 version?

Offline Scottjd

• Frequent Contributor
    • YouTube Gadget Reveiws
« Reply #1157 on: August 18, 2015, 08:09:02 pm »
@rddube
For the pot read my last message a few posts above.
Odd, mine may still have the pod on the board. But I read your previous posts and the pic I put up was from a sales page. If I take a picture of my actual one I received pin 6 is not soldered to the display, it's a dead link. In fact I took a jumper wore and put it in pin six and it acted as an antenna for the frequency counter. I think the counter only read up to 1 or 2Mhz so the only thing I had to test it with was my house. It picked up the electrical field at 60Hrz and I knew it worked. My scope will to the same sometimes when my probe is not properly grounded.

I need to check pin three also to make sure they didn't wire that one, thanks,
Please be sure to check out my YouTube channel and subscribe if you like the videos. https://www.youtube.com/c/GadgetReviewVideos

By people subscribing and giving thumbs up I know what I am doing is still wanted and adding value, then will continue to release new videos. Thank you for your support.

Offline Scottjd

• Frequent Contributor
    • YouTube Gadget Reveiws
« Reply #1158 on: August 18, 2015, 08:12:23 pm »
Thanks madires,.......................I've attached a  the picture of the one I bought fromEZM and it works great,........................

This is the one I have....no programming port....Sigh! I missed that.  Mine does not have the pot.  Just putting mine in a case now.   Guess I'll have to parallel program update it using my TL866 but I think I need an external crystal and are a little unsure.  Think my firmware is 1.11 or 1.12...sorry don't know as I've removed the LCD to lower it and the ZIF socket atm.  I'll post back when done in the case.

Mine is also missing the programming pins, but my local electronics place had UNO on sale for $5, so I grabbed one, I'll remove the chip and add a ZIF socket and just use the UNO board to program it for now. I think it will work, I've never messed with uno avr before, but sound logical.
If not, I will still get to tinker and learn :-)

Offline Scottjd

• Frequent Contributor
    • YouTube Gadget Reveiws
« Reply #1159 on: August 18, 2015, 08:14:39 pm »
hi

does atmega2560 version support all feature like atmega328 version?

According to the 106 page off I read a few nights ago, the answer is yes. The reason is the 2560 has enough room for the extra code to support the other features unlike the smaller chips.

Offline rddube

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1160 on: August 19, 2015, 12:49:20 am »
@Gixy

No, my display is working fine for everything on the transistor tester...only the function menu Frequency blanks after a second or 2 into the menu and then the tt is frozen...only way to get it back to work is to unplug battery.

When I unplug battery and start the tt, it works just fine. Can't get the function Frequency to work however.

Offline tom666

• Regular Contributor
    • Slovak discussion forum - AVR Component Tester (RLC/ESR & Semiconductors Tester)
« Reply #1161 on: August 19, 2015, 07:23:50 am »
Mine is also missing the programming pins, but my local electronics place had UNO on sale for $5, so I grabbed one, I'll remove the chip and add a ZIF socket and just use the UNO board to program it for now. I think it will work, I've never messed with uno avr before, but sound logical.

It will not work!
The only option is to use the Arduino as an AVR ISP programmer. But you'll need some an AVR ISP adapter, which will be used to interconnect the Arduino and the AVR MCU.

The necessary information you will find here:
https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoISP

Instead a breadboard you can use this development kit:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATmega8-ATmega48-Development-Board-AVR-Board-Parts-and-Components-DIY-New-Kit-/391132515152

Offline tom666

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1162 on: August 19, 2015, 08:18:06 am »
No, my display is working fine for everything on the transistor tester...only the function menu Frequency blanks after a second or 2 into the menu and then the tt is frozen...only way to get it back to work is to unplug battery.
When I unplug battery and start the tt, it works just fine. Can't get the function Frequency to work however.

As I wrote above, everything works normally.

The attached file contains the software that I tested:

Offline Scottjd

• Frequent Contributor
    • YouTube Gadget Reveiws
« Reply #1163 on: August 19, 2015, 08:30:38 am »

It will not work!
The only option is to use the Arduino as an AVR ISP programmer. But you'll need some an AVR ISP adapter, which will be used to interconnect the Arduino and the AVR MCU.

The necessary information you will find here:
https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoISP

Instead a breadboard you can use this development kit:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATmega8-ATmega48-Development-Board-AVR-Board-Parts-and-Components-DIY-New-Kit-/391132515152

Sorry Tom,  I should have been a little more clear in that. I was going to put the ZIF socket on the bread board and use the uno I bought to program it, so the uno would be the ISP using IDE. Like in your breadboard picture. Then I also found out I could have bought 2 UNO's to make it even easier and no bread boarding, but that takes away some of the fun.

But since then I've been doing a lot of reading and would really like the option to to bootloader also without buying an expensive MK II or other type. I have a raspberry pi and found that you can use AVRDude on pi with the gpio pins out to the breadboard. This sound like a better option since I think AVRDude on Pi will let me do just about any avr chip. Some of the cheaper programmers like the tiny can not program the mega chips like the 2560, were I think the Pi programming will not have that limitation.

No I just need to confirm what Pi to use. I have a B and the new one with the quad core and more memory. But everyone I've seen do it so far is using the older Pi and I have to wonder if their is a reason for this.
I'm leaning to get the Pi to be my all in one programer and after confirming a few things on the breadboard, then move it to a permanent PCB with a switch and a few voltage regulators to switch between 3.3V and 5V in case I ever start using any 3.3V projects also. I just want to make the solution the most robust to cover the most I can with a single setup.
Maybe the only downfall of the AVRDude Pi solution would be not able to read the debug, but I'm sure I can figure something out for that also?

Offline tom666

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1164 on: August 19, 2015, 09:05:42 am »
@Scottjd

OK, but It would be better and cheaper solution by buying the USBasp and this AVR ISP adapter - total price is US$1.87 + US$1.87. The USBasp programmer can also program the ATmega2560 (see. the list of the supported MCUs).

Supported processors by programmer USBasp:

Mega Series
ATmega8      ATmega8A   ATmega48   ATmega48A   ATmega48P
ATmega48PA   ATmega88   ATmega88A   ATmega88P   ATmega88PA
ATmega168   ATmega168A   ATmega168P   ATmega168PA   ATmega328
ATmega328P   ATmega103   ATmega128   ATmega128P   ATmega1280
ATmega1281   ATmega16   ATmega16A   ATmega161   ATmega162
ATmega163   ATmega164   ATmega164A   ATmega164P   ATmega164PA
ATmega169   ATmega169A   ATmega169P   ATmega169PA   ATmega2560
ATmega2561   ATmega32   ATmega32A   ATmega324   ATmega324A
ATmega324P   ATmega324PA   ATmega329   ATmega329A   ATmega329P
ATmega329PA   ATmega3290   ATmega3290A   ATmega3290P   ATmega64
ATmega64A   ATmega640   ATmega644   ATmega644A   ATmega644P
ATmega644PA   ATmega649   ATmega649A   ATmega649P   ATmega6490
ATmega6490A   ATmega6490P   ATmega8515   ATmega8535   

Tiny Series
ATtiny12   ATtiny13   ATtiny13A   ATtiny15   ATtiny25
ATtiny26   ATtiny45   ATtiny85   ATtiny2313   ATtiny2313A

Classic Series
AT90S1200   AT90S2313   AT90S2333   AT90S2343   AT90S4414
AT90S4433   AT90S4434   AT90S8515
AT90S8535         

CAN Series
AT90CAN128         

PWM Series
AT90PWM2   AT90PWM3

Offline Gixy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1165 on: August 19, 2015, 10:37:24 am »
@scottjd
If you have a Pi (any one), you can program your Atmega. There are a lot of tutorials to do that, one of them is https://projects.drogon.net/raspberry-pi/gertboard/ It uses the Gertboard but you can use a breadbord with the minimum required components. It also uses a modified version of avrdude which allows to use gpio pins. Works very well here.
@Tom666
As I wrote earlier, GM328 is working with 1.12k rev508 only if you remove the short to ground of pin 3 of the display board. You should also verify that the cursor of the pot is not linked to ground by pin 6 of display board.

Offline tom666

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1166 on: August 19, 2015, 11:53:30 am »
@Gixy

So, if I understand it well :), rddube mentioned in his last posts problem with the LCR-T4 tester (not with the variant GM328).

Apparently there arose a problem in communication :-//

... I have the yellow tester that Tom666 mentionned in an earlier post (T3_T4 ST 7565 tester). When I go into the function menu and select Frequency, it shows me Frequency f = 0HZ, and a second later a blank screen. It seems to be locked on the blank screen because whatever I do (press the button short press, long press, etc.) nothing happens. I have to disconnect the battery to be able to restart the tester.
Is there something wrong with the function Frequency or is it just my tester? ...

Offline Scottjd

• Frequent Contributor
    • YouTube Gadget Reveiws
« Reply #1167 on: August 19, 2015, 01:32:04 pm »
@Scottjd

OK, but It would be better and cheaper solution by buying the USBasp and this AVR ISP adapter - total price is US$1.87 + US$1.87. The USBasp programmer can also program the ATmega2560 (see. the list of the supported MCUs).

Supported processors by programmer USBasp:

Mega Series
ATmega8      ATmega8A   ATmega48   ATmega48A   ATmega48P
ATmega48PA   ATmega88   ATmega88A   ATmega88P   ATmega88PA
ATmega168   ATmega168A   ATmega168P   ATmega168PA   ATmega328
ATmega328P   ATmega103   ATmega128   ATmega128P   ATmega1280
ATmega1281   ATmega16   ATmega16A   ATmega161   ATmega162
ATmega163   ATmega164   ATmega164A   ATmega164P   ATmega164PA
ATmega169   ATmega169A   ATmega169P   ATmega169PA   ATmega2560
ATmega2561   ATmega32   ATmega32A   ATmega324   ATmega324A
ATmega324P   ATmega324PA   ATmega329   ATmega329A   ATmega329P
ATmega329PA   ATmega3290   ATmega3290A   ATmega3290P   ATmega64
ATmega64A   ATmega640   ATmega644   ATmega644A   ATmega644P
ATmega644PA   ATmega649   ATmega649A   ATmega649P   ATmega6490
ATmega6490A   ATmega6490P   ATmega8515   ATmega8535   

Tiny Series
ATtiny12   ATtiny13   ATtiny13A   ATtiny15   ATtiny25
ATtiny26   ATtiny45   ATtiny85   ATtiny2313   ATtiny2313A

Classic Series
AT90S1200   AT90S2313   AT90S2333   AT90S2343   AT90S4414
AT90S4433   AT90S4434   AT90S8515
AT90S8535         

CAN Series
AT90CAN128         

PWM Series
AT90PWM2   AT90PWM3

Ho Tom, thanks. I already have the AVR breakout board or all the parts for it. The only difference for the schematics I've seen is it runs a 16Mhz  oscillator Crystal, not an 8 that the lot provided.
I also managed to get a couple authentic ftdi chip programmers that were on clearance for $5 that will do either 3.3V or 5V. So I'm sure at this point I can flash the chip.
But the reason I'm looking at using the Pi is because I believe I would be able to flash the boot loader also on blank chips. That may be the only difference with the writer you recommended not being able to write the bootloader?

I deal a lot with 3D printers and you would be amazed on how many people flash it with the wrong hex and overwrite the bootloader.
So I think the Pi and modded avrdude 6.1 or higher will give me this option to help people fix their boards that run the 1280 or 2560.

I have both pi's the model Band the new version 2 with the quad A7 processor and more memory.
So I'm just trying to worn out the details, I can't find anyone that had done it with the new Pi yet? But I would rather use the new one for obvious reasons to compile and make faster.
I guess I'll start with the new one, if it does not work then go back to the model B that other have used.

Offline Scottjd

• Frequent Contributor
    • YouTube Gadget Reveiws
« Reply #1168 on: August 19, 2015, 01:50:07 pm »
@scottjd
If you have a Pi (any one), you can program your Atmega. There are a lot of tutorials to do that, one of them is https://projects.drogon.net/raspberry-pi/gertboard/ It uses the Gertboard but you can use a breadbord with the minimum required components. It also uses a modified version of avrdude which allows to use gpio pins. Works very well here.
@Gixy
Thanks, I've been reading up on the Pi as an avr programer all night. Just trying to decide what Pi to use, the Model B or the new Pi2 I got a couple months ago. I've never booted it yet so I may use the Pi2.
If you run the Pi can you confirm that you can also write bootloaders on blank or bad flashed chips. I know the bad flash ones will need the switch for erase chip first in the AVRDude syntax line before writing the new bootloader if it's possible from a Pi?

FYI: I also confirmed the one I received does not have pin 3 and pin 6 connected. They cut the trace and still left the potentiometer on the board. I guess I'll unsolder it and use it for another project..

Thanks,
Scott

Offline tom666

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1169 on: August 19, 2015, 02:50:34 pm »
... But the reason I'm looking at using the Pi is because I believe I would be able to flash the boot loader also on blank chips. That may be the only difference with the writer you recommended not being able to write the bootloader? ...

It is a very simple operation (writing the bootloader) with the USBasp.
For example, through the Arduino IDE:
http://tutorial.cytron.com.my/2011/12/19/burning-arduino-bootloader-with-avr-usbasp/

... I deal a lot with 3D printers and you would be amazed on how many people flash it with the wrong hex and overwrite the bootloader.
So I think the Pi and modded avrdude 6.1 or higher will give me this option to help people fix their boards that run the 1280 or 2560. ...

Rewriting bootloader would not be possible, if are properly writen the lock bits of the MCU.

Offline Gixy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1170 on: August 19, 2015, 05:20:06 pm »
Hi Scott,
I also have both Pis : model B and Pi2. They can write .hex files in Atmega, with or without bootloader. The 'gpio' programmer makes bit-banging on 4 serial lines, simply flashing an .hex file. You can afterwards use the bootloader with an ordinary serial interface, but with little or no interest as you're obliged to have the previous programmer to flash the bootloader the first time.
If the lock bits are set, only 'parallel' programmers can reset the device. In all other cases you can re-flash the fuses.
Out of factory the Atmega are configured with internal RC oscillator. You can then put the device on a breadboard without any crystal circuit. If you then configure the fuses to crystal oscillator, further programming will require the crystal on the breadboard (or on the target board if you're using ISP).
Denis

Offline Scottjd

• Frequent Contributor
    • YouTube Gadget Reveiws
« Reply #1171 on: August 19, 2015, 08:27:18 pm »
@Tom
I couldn't look at the link about bootloader with IDE, the site reached max bandwidth.
But if I had to guess this is about using IDE to restore a bootloader if you over wrote with AVRDude.
From what I understand, this could take hours to do?

I'm not sure if Makerbot writes the proper locks on the MCU, I do know someone else that does it with a smart programer so I believe it might be possible. I have a board that has a bad fet on the 3.3V rail so it like to make magic smoke with the stepper controllers. But everything else works, so I was going to pull the locks and stuff once I got the Pi set up with AVRDude, then I would know more.

@Denis
For some reason I got the impression that using the Pi would be more like using a smart programer without having to spend the $60, but if it's just using the SPI to bit bang then it's basically the same as using the FTDI chip USB to serial interface programmers I have.

I think the guy I know that currently fixes Makerbot boards will put a new 1280/2560 chip on the board so I'm assuming it's a blank unlocked chip. He uses a smart programer like the one from digikey or mouser. I just got a reword SMD statin n and have been practicing on mounting these chips and doing removals so I guess that was my thought in direction and didn't want to spend another $60-$80 on a smart programer.

But if a parallel programer is needed then I'm out of luck, I have a USB to serial 9 pin for the Mac, and Windows 10 Asus tablet I use for my microscope, and the Pi's running another flavor of Debian. I haven't decided on what I'm going to set up the new Pi2 with yet.but no more parallel machines, I may have a pic card, but I don't have a full desktop to lug it into anyway.

So if Pi is just doing bitbang then what is the advantage of using it if any over just running IDE on my MacBook Pro Retina?
Even with bitbang wouldn't I be able to put a bootloader in a completely unlocked blank chip and then set the fuses and locks at the end? Or will that still need a smart programer?

I was going to sell my 22" Samsung 1080P monitor, had it lacked in the box and all but decided to break it out just for the Pi2 and rearranged my whole work bend to accomadate for this screen. After I realized I probably could have just found the IP on my Cisco ASA that is handling my DHCP calls and used the win10 tablet to ssh into it with putty. But sleep is unknown in the last 48, long story why. Let's just say bad side effects from a blood infusion last week is keeping me awake so I've done a lot of reading. In fact, I never touched a FTDI programer or arduino until yesterday and everything I know is from the last 24 hours.

I also noticed that IDE on the Mac is using AVRDude in the background for the programming, so IDE is just a sketch editor, compiler and AVRDude does the flashing?

So what is the advantage (if any) of running the full raw AVRDude over using IDE besides being able to use some switches like -F for ignoring the signature of a chip? And even that could be fixed in the conf file.

Currently I know you can use one arduino to act as an AVR with IDE also, and I bought 3. I have the mini pro and for programming it needs the FTDI interface. I have the Uno R3, and the Mega R3. So between them all if I was to wipe a chip I could recover it from another with the correct jumper pins between  two of them. My local electronics place was having a sale, I think it cost me $4 for mini pro, $5 for the UNO, $10 for the MEGA, and $5 for the FTDI programer. $24 US for all. They also had spark fun UNO kits build your own that need the programer as well but they were marked down to $5 and it included the 328 chip. I figured it would be fun to build two of them and give them away and use the third for parts since it had everything I needed to breadboard for the Pi interface, then after I confirm it worked I was going to solder it all in place with a ZIF DIP 28 pin I already own also for easy chip flashing.

Sorry if I side tracked the thread a little, this is mostl likely my last questions and I need to try to get some sleep. So I guess when I figure out what the advantage using the Pi, if any, then I can decide if I will move forward with the Pi as a programer or just bread board something to use one of the others as a AVR programer using IDE. Is using Pi any faster then using a FTDI interface basic board?

I was also looking at the atiny adafruit smart programer but it has limit like not being able to flash the 1280/2560 chips. How much faster is the smart programmers, are they worth the money, or the $20 to build one from adafruit?

My apologies if I got any if the terminology incorrect up front, as I mentioned I've only studied these randomly in my free time over the last 38 hours or so. I lost could how long I've been awake.
Also thanks for the information and explanations, you guys have managed to answer some questions I was not able to get or understand after reading many, many tutorials and watching YouTube videos. I guess most tutorial explain the basics, but I'm looking for a deeper understanding before I decide on how I want to build my flash hex setup. I also eventually would like to use this setup for probing things like2 old linksys WRT54G routers and see if I can extract the firmware from the eeprom or controller chip being used. This would be for learning reasons only for now but eventually will be put to use for other Linux embedded running devices.

Thanks,
Scott

Offline tom666

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1172 on: August 20, 2015, 08:49:56 am »
... But if I had to guess this is about using IDE to restore a bootloader if you over wrote with AVRDude.
From what I understand, this could take hours to do?

I'm not sure if Makerbot writes the proper locks on the MCU, I do know someone else that does it with a smart programer so I believe it might be possible. ...

... For some reason I got the impression that using the Pi would be more like using a smart programer without having to spend the $60 ...
... I guess that was my thought in direction and didn't want to spend another $60-$80 on a smart programer ...
... But if a parallel programer is needed then I'm out of luck ...
... Or will that still need a smart programer? ...
... How much faster is the smart programmers, are they worth the money, or the $20 to build one from adafruit? ...

@Scott
There is no reason to use the expensive equipments. Burning the bootloader is a matter of a few seconds.

For successful writing bootloader you must perform the following essential steps:

1. Unlock bootloader section
2. Set fuses
3. Erase
4. Program bootloader into microcontroller
5. Lock the bootloader section so that it cannot be erased

For example, you can use from the command line directly the AVRDude.

Burn Arduino Mega 2560 bootloader with the USBasp

first step - unlock fuses, erase, verify:
avrdude -c usbasp -p m2560 -B 0.5 -U lock:w:0x3F:m -U efuse:w:0xFD:m -U hfuse:w:0xD8:m -U lfuse:w:0xFF:m -e -v

the second step - write the bootloader, set the lock fuse, verify:
avrdude -c usbasp -p m2560 -B 0.5 -U flash:"stk500boot_v2_mega2560.hex":a -U lock:w:0x0f:m -v

It's all ;)

FYI:
There are two "major" groups of memory protection bits:
- The Memory Protection Lock Bits refer to two bits, LB2 and LB1.
- The Bootloader Lock Bits refer to four bits: BLB12, BLB11, BLB02, and BLB01.

The Memory Protection Lock Bits define what you're allowed to do using external programming hardware such as ISP or HVPP.
If LB1 is programmed, then you can no longer add new data the existing content in Flash or EEPROM using an external programmer.
If LB2 is programmed, then you can no longer read back existing Flash or EEPROM content using an external programmer.
The combination (LB1 = unprogrammed, LB2 = programmed) is invalid.
You can use an external programmer to totally erase everything (Flash, EEPROM... everything) in one fell swoop. In that case, you will be free to re-program the chip again with no restrictions.

The Bootloader Lock Bits are further subdivided into two "minor" groups:
- BLB02 and BLB01: the "Application section" bootloader protection.
If BLB01 is programmed, then the bootloader cannot use the SPM instruction to write new data in the Application section of Flash.
If BLB02 is programmed, then the application cannot use the LPM instruction. (And therefore constant data tables, initializers, etc will be broken in C.)
- BLB12 and BLB11: the "Bootloader section" bootloader protection.
If BLB11 is programmed, then the bootloader cannot use the SPM instruction to overwrite itself.
If BLB12 is programmed, then the bootloader cannot use the LPM instruction. (And therefore it will be impossible to verify the success of subsequent bootloader upgrades.)

Best regards
Tomas

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #1173 on: August 20, 2015, 12:14:29 pm »
I also noticed that IDE on the Mac is using AVRDude in the background for the programming, so IDE is just a sketch editor, compiler and AVRDude does the flashing?

So what is the advantage (if any) of running the full raw AVRDude over using IDE besides being able to use some switches like -F for ignoring the signature of a chip? And even that could be fixed in the conf file.

Yep, avrdude is the common tool to program AVR's fuses, flash and EEPROM. It doesn't matter if you run it directly in a shell or via the IDE. I prefer a simple "make upload" to program flash and EEPROM , or "make fuses" to set the fuse bits. Someone else might prefer a fancy GUI. Another useful option for avrdude is "-B <bitclock>" in case you have to deal with a clock problem. I don't know if most IDEs support that option.

Offline rddube

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1174 on: August 20, 2015, 07:12:50 pm »

As I wrote above, everything works normally.

The attached file contains the software that I tested:

Thank you Tom..I'll give it a try and let you know if all is fine.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf