Author Topic: (Siglent SDS1104X-E) How is trigger frequency counted during blind time?  (Read 1224 times)

Offline SpacemarineTopic starter

After getting the Siglent SDS1104X-E, i have done some reading about DSO blind time and it's implications. One thing is still unclear to me: As I understand it, after each filling of the memory depth, the DSO needs some time to process the collected data. During that time it is unable to respond to new signals.

But how can it measure the trigger frequency during this time? Or does it ignore the trigger during blind time? But in this case, shouldn't the appearant frequency change if the recorded signal becomes so short that only one trigger is visible before the DSO becomes blind?

I'm also interested how other scopes handle this, not only the siglent.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
After getting the Siglent SDS1104X-E, i have done some reading about DSO blind time and it's implications. One thing is still unclear to me: As I understand it, after each filling of the memory depth, the DSO needs some time to process the collected data. During that time it is unable to respond to new signals.

But how can it measure the trigger frequency during this time? Or does it ignore the trigger during blind time? But in this case, shouldn't the appearant frequency change if the recorded signal becomes so short that only one trigger is visible before the DSO becomes blind?

I'm also interested how other scopes handle this, not only the siglent.

Signal, via ADC,  to digital trigger system is continuous. Independent of blind time. So it can count continuously.

Blind time do not stop this red marked signal (data stream,  digitized analog input signal).

How data stream is stored to memory and handled for display. There is also blind time.

You can imagine trigger counter signal is one extra output from this Digital Trigger Circuit what do not sleep when scope have "blind time".

Also same if we talk about bit older analog trigger systems in digital oscilloscopes.

Signal, via analog side pathway, to analog trigger system is  continuous. Independent of blind time. So it can count continuously.

Even when digital acquisition system have blind time this analog side pathway to trigger comparators and also trigger counters works continuously. In old analog trigger system it is perhaps more easy to understand that blind time do not affect this side pathway where from can take signal to trigger counter.

Conventional analog side pathway trigger system (fun is this text in image).

« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 12:03:21 pm by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Thanks, that makes it clear!

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
rf-loop made a nice post that explains it well.

On Keysight 3000 it is pretty much the same, trigger circuit runs continuously regardless os state of acquisition engine.
Trigger event detector can trigger with frequency of up to 25 MHz (ideal case), despite acquisition engine being much slower..
That makes retrigger time of pure trigger engine as fast as 40 ns, although acquisition engine cannot go faster than one acquisition every 1 us in ideal circumstances. Hence max acquisition rate off 1MWfms/s

Trigger event detector can trigger with frequency of up to 25 MHz (ideal case),

But it can count much faster, right? The frequency counter goes much higher.

Offline Old Printer

• Frequent Contributor
This is an excellent article about waveform update rates and trigger blind time, from a member here exiled, but not forgotten. P.I.P. Wuerstchenhund

https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/xfa-blogs/wuerstchenhund.471615/

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
Trigger event detector can trigger with frequency of up to 25 MHz (ideal case),

But it can count much faster, right? The frequency counter goes much higher.
frequency counter seems to have separate path and goes to 1GHz

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf