Author Topic: 12 Gigawatt Transformer  (Read 2302 times)

Offline GeoffreyFTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
12 Gigawatt Transformer
« on: November 09, 2018, 02:13:40 pm »

Only an order of magnitude more to go and we can charge the Flux Capacitors in the Delorean.
US Amateur Extra W1GCF.

The following users thanked this post: threephase

Offline LapTop006

• Supporter
Re: 12 Gigawatt Transformer
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 02:24:02 pm »
Only an order of magnitude more to go and we can charge the Flux Capacitors in the Delorean.

That was 1.21Gw, overload this a little and it can be your distribution transformer for ten of them at once.

The following users thanked this post: GeoffreyF

Offline Wan Huang Luo

• Regular Contributor
  • 顽谎骆 from the Shenzhen Market
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 04:18:15 pm »
I couldn't watch with sound on because I'm at work. Is this about the HVDC installation in Choyna? Seems awful familiar to me.

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 05:18:02 pm »
It's almost entirely bushing -- I dare not ask what the protection systems on something this HV and DC look like.  I also wonder what fun gas the main guts are insulated with.  Still CF6?

Offline threephase

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 06:20:28 pm »
Looks more like an oil filled transformer to me.

SF6 is the most common used gas for insulating, but predominantly in switchgear and busbars. Sometimes CF4 is mixed with SF6, but used alone CF4 has lower insulation properties.

Protection systems will be fairly standard numerical relays these days, just need to get a current transformer with a suitable ratio.

Kind regards

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 07:35:32 pm »
Protection systems will be fairly standard numerical relays these days, just need to get a current transformer with a suitable ratio.

My apologies: I'm referring to the switchgear used to protect, not the sensing used to protect.  Action, not detection.

Online BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 07:52:21 pm »
Listen to the narrator in the video carefully.  This is a 12Gw transformer.  The 1100kv is the voltage not wattage.  This transformer can power 10 Delorian time machines SIMULTANEOUSLY!.

However, the movie isn't specific about the 1.21Gw being a single instant power surge, or, power drawn.  Maybe this transformer can do continuous non-stop time travel 10 fold over.  Considering the size of the conductors in the movie, I would have to say the continuous 10 fold over time travel is the more likely scenario, not to mention that every wire and the structure of that car should have imploded feeding the 1.21Gw in such a confined apparatus without superconductors an all other materials could not be metal of any type.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 07:58:58 pm by BrianHG »

Offline threephase

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2018, 08:35:39 pm »

My apologies: I'm referring to the switchgear used to protect, not the sensing used to protect.  Action, not detection.

Aah I see, no need to apologise.

At HVDC the switching arrangements are usually by IGBT cells linked in series to get the required voltage level. Some manufacturers do use hybrid type breakers that have IGBTs to switch the current and then a mechanical switch to break the voltage.

On their own, mechanical switches are not fast enough for switching HVDC.

Kind regards.

The following users thanked this post: Whales, GeoffreyF

Offline djacobow

• Super Contributor
  • takin' it apart since the 70's
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2018, 08:50:28 pm »
Umm, maybe dumb question here, but what is a DC transformer? What, exactly, does this beast do?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2018, 09:02:49 pm »
Interesting but totally wrong board on the forum for this thread........not Test Equipment related at all.  :palm:

The OP can use the Move Topic feature to shift this thread to General Chat or Project, Designs and Tech stuff where it's better off to be.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: BrianHG

Offline djacobow

• Super Contributor
  • takin' it apart since the 70's
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2018, 09:26:53 pm »
Umm, maybe dumb question here, but what is a DC transformer? What, exactly, does this beast do?

All xfmrs are by definition, AC. The so called DC xfmr is an AC xfmr interfacing between 50Hz "low voltage" (say, 375kV) to 1.1MV high voltage AC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HVDC_converter

It's confusing that they call it a transformer at all.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf