Author Topic: 2017 Rigol DS2072A Unlock and other questions  (Read 9136 times)

Offline Firebird00Topic starter

• Contributor
2017 Rigol DS2072A Unlock and other questions
« on: April 05, 2017, 09:03:37 pm »
Hi.

I'm thinking to buy the Rigol DS2072A in the next two weeks, or maybe sooner, will see.
I've read in this forum a lot of information regarding the unlock question, but I still not sure if that information is up to date, and also if that new scopes still unlockable.

Don't know what firmware/hardware version will come with the scope, but I need to know if the unlocking procedures I've found here will work with the latest versions of this scopes (MY 2017). I've found too many ways to do that process, some people says is older, other says are shorter, so if someone can point me on the latest working procedure I will appreciate a lot.
Also, are there any way to do a "complete" backup of all software/firmware/everything installed in the scope, so in the case something goes bad one can restore the scope to it's original condition, using that backup?
Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 09:15:56 pm by Firebird00 »

Offline andrija

• Regular Contributor
Re: 2017 Rigol DS2072A Unlock and other questions
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 09:26:25 pm »
I just redid the procedure last week (my Rigol is a bit older though). There's a german program that connects over the ethernet (or usb) and downloads firmware and gives you keys. The procedure I followed is on this forum - https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/unlockinghacking-the-rigol-ds2000a-series-scope-the-short-post/100/

It worked fine even with latest firmware (I do have a 2.5 years old revision though).

Offline TurboTom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 09:40:35 pm »
Hey Firebird,

you may consider to buy from Rigol Clearance sales (EU), their price for the DS2072A-S is really good (keep in mind though that VAT and shipping ads up a bit). They specify two years warranty. I've bought one of these several months ago and got a nice surprise - the board inside contained the full MSO2072A-S circuitry so I've converted the instrument to the latter version (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-mso2000-series-hacking/msg1038258/#msg1038258 ff.). If the situation is the same for the current offers noone can tell. But still, even the integrated signal generator is a nice add-on. Hacking was an non-issue.

Cheers,
Thomas

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 11:29:34 pm »
I just redid the procedure last week (my Rigol is a bit older though). There's a german program that connects over the ethernet (or usb) and downloads firmware and gives you keys. The procedure I followed is on this forum - https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/unlockinghacking-the-rigol-ds2000a-series-scope-the-short-post/100/

It worked fine even with latest firmware (I do have a 2.5 years old revision though).

Thanks, It's very interesting. It looks very easy to do job... Also important is you do that recently and it worked, it's useful info...

Hey Firebird,

you may consider to buy from Rigol Clearance sales (EU), their price for the DS2072A-S is really good (keep in mind though that VAT and shipping ads up a bit). They specify two years warranty. I've bought one of these several months ago and got a nice surprise - the board inside contained the full MSO2072A-S circuitry so I've converted the instrument to the latter version (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-mso2000-series-hacking/msg1038258/#msg1038258 ff.). If the situation is the same for the current offers noone can tell. But still, even the integrated signal generator is a nice add-on. Hacking was an non-issue.

Cheers,
Thomas

Thanks Thomas.
I didn't know that place. I took a look and found the "S" versiĆ³n for 665,00 euro + VAT + shipping.
I think I will go for the non S version because I already have  some Arbritary Function Generator at home, and I don't need another one more. But very interesting point is that the S version have the same hardware of the MSO family, or at least the unit you bought. Maybe in the last minute I will change my opinion and go for the S version, don't know if I will take the risk of receive a non MSO hardware version...as you said, nobody knows...

Regards

Offline BC109C

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 05:58:56 pm »
You can't back up the firmware but the unlocking process is essentially now 3 steps:
1) Download RigolBildschirmkopie  and  make a memory dump using the SCPI command via LAN
2) Download Rigup and  run  rigup ds2072A  memorydump .scpi    (Just make sure that rigup and memory dump are in same folder)
3) Enter the unlock code in step 2 in the scope editor, this is under utility, options, setup on later firmware
Thats all

A more complete step be step guide below:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/unlockinghacking-the-rigol-ds2000a-series-scope-the-short-post/msg967829/#msg967829

Hope that helps.

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 09:13:15 pm »
You can't back up the firmware but the unlocking process is essentially now 3 steps:
1) Download RigolBildschirmkopie  and  make a memory dump using the SCPI command via LAN
Ok, downloaded RigolBildschirmkopie. That SCPI is a software or is an option menu of the scope? Can that SCPI be done via USB or it works in LAN only?
2) Download Rigup and  run  rigup ds2072A  memorydump .scpi    (Just make sure that rigup and memory dump are in same folder)
I saw there are some versions of rigup. I've downloaded some of them, but I'm not sure wich one I have to use...
3) Enter the unlock code in step 2 in the scope editor, this is under utility, options, setup on later firmware
Thats all
After that, will I have all the options unlocked + 300 MHz ?
A more complete step be step guide below:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/unlockinghacking-the-rigol-ds2000a-series-scope-the-short-post/msg967829/#msg967829

Hope that helps.

Also, it seems that when you unlock the scope, the model changes from DS2072A to DS2302A, that is a 300 MHz. If in the case I need to send to scope to repair under warranty, are there any way to restore the codes to "locked" and put back the original model number?
Thank for your help.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 11:30:53 am by Firebird00 »

Offline BC109C

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 10:47:13 am »
Sorry for delay.
I dont think you can revert to the earlier version, so it may be best to send your scope in for repair under warranty first.

The memory dump  SCSI command is made under RigolBildschirmkopie its is on the menu of that software. I find it easier to do it on the LAN and it is saved on your computer.
Rigup 0.4 is the version I used, once unzipped there are versions for windows and linux and you can generate the codse which appears on your computer screen.

Once unlocked you have 300MHz and all software options enable, hope that helps.

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 11:12:52 pm »
Ok.
I will buy the scope the next week, I don't have it yet.
The thing is this scope come with 3 years warranty, and I don't want to loose the warranty. That's the reason I'm asking if there's any way to put everything back to original on the scope.
Other thing I can do is wait 3 years or less to do the modifications, but I need a little bit more tan 70 MHz..., that's the only reason I want to unlock..., the other unlock codes are welcome also, but not very usefull for me.

You all did the mods with the scopes under warranty?

Offline CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2017, 11:58:03 pm »
You can easily uninstall the bandwidth hack as well as all option hacks by sending this one SCPI command to the instrument (using any SCPI method, RigolBildschirmkopie, UltraSigma, or even just telnet).

:SYSTem:OPTion:UNINSTall

Literally, thats all it takes to revert the hacks.

The following users thanked this post: corax

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 04:27:01 pm »
Sorry for the delay..., I was too busy these days.

Ok, thanks for that info. Thanks to that, I will consider to hack one code only, that is the 300 MHz bandwidth, and the others if I need them in the future...

I'm still waiting for the scope to arrive to Distributor, don't know if there are out of stock or what....

Offline Vit G

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2017, 03:46:14 pm »
A little hint from me
 My 2072A :  00.03.05.03.03 17 May 2017  HW 1.0.2.3.0
 Hack works only with rigup0.2 for me (Win 10Pro  64 1709 via LAN)
 0.4.2 return: no key file
 0.1 return wrong keys

Video with bandwith test.  450 MHz works good.
Studying metrology and LNA

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2018, 08:55:25 am »
Hi Vit G.

I have the same HW version as yours, SW on mine is 00.03.05 SP1.

I did not hacked mine yet and still original, but I do all the process to obtain the key, so I have my keys prepared to put it in the scope in the case I need some extra features. When the warranty period ends, then I will hack mine, or maybe before, will see...
In my case, I can get the keys using two Rigup versions that are 0.2 and 0.4, both worked well and  give me the correct keys. I did not tried other versions.
I'm using Windows 10 Professional 64 Bits
Hope that helps
Regards
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 01:04:14 pm by Firebird00 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf