Author Topic: found a DS2072A oscilloscope for $550 in china  (Read 6247 times)

Offline ElmarTopic starter

• Contributor
found a DS2072A oscilloscope for $550 in china
« on: August 19, 2016, 07:37:27 am »
Hey everyone,

I was looking into buying a ds2072a oscilloscope (the one that can be "upgraded"from 70mhz to 300mhz for free).

Online I found prices as low as $839 in the US, and similar prices in europe. Currently I'm in Shenzhen, China, and when I looked at taobao (the chinese ebay), and I found it for

I decided to look even further, when I walked down to the SEG electronics market, there was a shop that offered me this oscilloscope for 3650RM , which is around $550, I can pick is up there tomorrow. Now this market is known for their counterfeit products, however I haven't heard a single story of a "fake" rigol oscilloscope. As rigol is a chinese brand it could be that I'm just bypassing all the import costs by buying it here.

So before I go ahead and buy it tomorrow I was wondering if you guys have any experience with counterfeit oscilloscopes, or buying oscilloscopes in china in general. Are there ways to check it's real when buying? I'm hoping it's just that they buy in bulk, or that it slipped through the backdoor of the factory, but is still the real deal :) I know it will always be a gamble but just looking for some experiences out here :)

Thanks!

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: found a DS2072A oscilloscope for $550 in china
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 08:05:10 am »
Seems like it would be very difficult/pointless to make fake Rigol oscilloscopes.

More likely it's not really a Rigol DS2072A, it's some other brand which they'll tell you is "exactly the same" or something like that.

Or ... maybe it's a broken/returned DS2072A and you'll find out one of the channels doesn't work when you get home.

My advice: Don't take a closed box home with you. Take a good look at what's inside (take a photo of a real DS2072A along to compare...), power it on, connect the probes to the test signal on all channels, etc.

If it's legit and he has a lot of them then buy them all. You can do a bit of business...  :popcorn:

Offline dav

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 09:56:52 am »
What is the shop's name?

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 10:16:24 am »
thanks for the replies!

name of the shop is Rek, website is www.chinarek.com, they are located on the 2nd floor of the SEG building here in shenzhen

so I got notified that I could already pick it up, I went through an unboxing video before I went there so I could check all box content etc.

than I turned it on (menu was in chinese) but they changed it to english for me in no time.

than I hooked it up to the test signals, worked

I brought a little bluetooth module with a 26mhz oscillator in there, measuring that seemed to go well as well :)

so I bought it !! :)

I also asked the price for 10pcs, it's higher ..   guess I just had some luck with this one :)

they had like all major brands, tektronix as well
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 10:52:16 am by Elmar »

Offline crazyguy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 10:35:12 am »
very good price  :)

Offline pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 10:45:09 am »
There is also a Tektronix poster on the wall of the shop. Any interesting deals on Tektronix as well? :)

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 10:52:46 am »
they had like all major brands, tektronix as well

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 10:55:15 am »
Nice one!

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2016, 10:56:56 am »
I also asked the price for 10pcs, it's higher ..   guess I just had some luck with this one :)

* Send all your friends down to buy one.

* Stand near the shop and offer $10 to random people to go inside and buy one for you.

Offline pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2016, 11:13:55 am »
I wish I was in that shop now :)

Are you there on a holiday or working as an expat in China?

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2016, 11:25:43 am »

Or anyplace where there's shops like that. They simply don't exist around here.

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2016, 12:24:00 pm »

Are you there on a holiday or working as an expat in China?

we can do facetime or something lol

have been working on some of my own projects for the last 2 months here :)     just playing & learning and hope to turn a project into a business at some point.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2016, 12:55:05 pm »
If it's legit and he has a lot of them then buy them all. You can do a bit of business...  :popcorn:
thats called cheat tax and cheat tax is smuggling... its considered bad by most "good" people in the agencies. btw, i walked around the park this afternoon... there is an undetected virus spreading like virus for few years now already... the ironic part is they dont call the sickness as sickness, the sickness lies in the eyes of beholder. its called 'cell-fee' virus...
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2016, 01:58:05 pm »
thats called cheat tax and cheat tax is smuggling...

Import duties for most countries are about 20%. There's plenty of margin for legal profit if you're buying somewhere for half price .

Anyway: Thanks for letting us know how you view the world.  :popcorn:

Offline dav

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2016, 08:09:23 pm »

name of the shop is Rek, website is www.chinarek.com, they are located on the 2nd floor of the SEG building here in shenzhen

Rek?
Is that the same company who cloned the Maynuo Electronic load?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161095143295

Offline madeinoz67

• Blog
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2016, 02:01:55 pm »
Having just come back from Shenzhen Maker Faire and the HQB markets I picked up the same model for roughly the same price at the same store.   I've been back and forward a couple of times this year and this time around I wanted get a replacement scope to my old fluke scope meter 97.   I did have to haggle them down on the price as they were trying to sell it for similar price to the one shown on taobao listings, they even showed me taobao prices in attempt to sell it to me for that.

But I showed them the price and the photo of the store from this thread and they agreed to sell it to me for the similar price, I think it was an extra 100rmb above your price and none in stock so they had to order it in and took 3 days.   They were trying to sell me the DS1052 model which they had plenty in stock.

I just got home today and now instead of sleeping I'm applying firmware hack etc :D

Is definitely a legit Rigol Scope so am very happy with the purchase... nearly 1/2 price to same model in Australia.

Also ended up purchasing some bench power supplies and an Electronic load from the same store so they did all right out of the deal...so did I to think of it :D  I'm in love the HQB markets
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 02:05:14 pm by madeinoz67 »

Offline R005T3r

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2016, 12:22:52 pm »
Very interesting...

The same model here is about 900 Eur.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf