Author Topic: 2nd try Ds1954Z wavedorm storage/reading problem  (Read 4285 times)

Offline hpxrefTopic starter

2nd try Ds1954Z wavedorm storage/reading problem
« on: October 12, 2016, 06:16:01 am »
This post seems to have terminated part through due to a line drop out, so am trying again
Hi all 
 DS1054  VER 00.04.03.SP2    Board 0.1.4
I have a new 1054Z bought from Emona, but cant use most of it as no CD came with it , so have no instructions on how to use it.
I cant download from Rigols site as have been unable to download any thing more than a few kbits from the inet due to ongoing problems with corroded phone lines  and have had the Telsta techs out here a lot  who temporary fix things (so I can get a dial tone at at least) , but download speeds are always way down with many drop outs. (not the fault of the techs as Telstra have no plans for replacing copper here or of putting in fibre in the foreseeable future)
email is not so bad, but large file downloads here seem impossible.
This should  not to be taken as a diatribe against Telstra, but just  an explanation of why I need help operating my 1054Z
I bought this CRO after seeing Dave's videos and of other EEVBLOG replies and noted that his video clearly showed a CD being taken out of the Rigol box at the time.
I contacted EMONA about the lack of a CD and received an answer that Rigol does not supply CD.s , but I have to upload the manual and other software from Rigols site....which I cant do for reasons above.
The EMONA  guy (Aug 16th) then said he would send me a CD for which I thanked him , but have received nothing from them since
So here are some queries:
1.  Is it true that RIGOL  do not supply operating instructions for their gear ?
     (My DS 1052E which I bought new a couple of year ago had one with it)
2.  I have a real problem both saving a trace on the 1054Z internal memory and /or viewing any stored trace.
     No matter what I do I cant get rid of the info panel on screen after I retrieve a saved file (I get the message "can operate now" ) but no matter what    knobs I push or rotate or menu items selected pressed  this panel wont go away and I cant see whats behind it.
No doubt the manual would tell me how to do this,      but !!!!!!
I have no problem storing or retrieving wave forms on my DS1052E  and thought the same procedure would be used  but not the case??
So I am in the ridiculous position of having to ask members instructions of how to save a waveform to int memory and to retrieve it while getting rid of this permanent obscuring panel///or do I  hardware/s-ware problem with this CRO ??
EMONA seem to be no help
To perhaps  make this post  a bit more useful to some members the sine wave response of all 4 channels on my DS1054Z are listed below
Conditions: Each channel individually selected
                50 Ohm through terminator (Tek) on CRO input
                2 feet semi rigid coax used between gen and CRO, SMA adapters each end
                ADRET 740A generator, no modulation (gen in spec)  Tested with Hp432A pwr meter 478A head and Millivac MV-828A 50 Ohm head
                6dB attenuator at Adret End (Mini Circuits)
                Adjusted for 6 vert screen divisions for each channel test at 1MHz start frequency
                Adret increment 100kHz           
                       CH1                           CH2                        CH3                   Ch4
 -3dB at          98  Mhz                       93MHz                    83MHz                 95MHz
 -6dB at          186MHz                     184MHz                   180MHz                190MHz
   That seems pretty good to me:
   Are these typical readings??
Thank you for your time
John

Offline StuUK

• Frequent Contributor
Re: 2nd try Ds1954Z wavedorm storage/reading problem
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 08:35:31 am »
From the manual:-

Storage System
Press     to enter the store and recall setting interface.
The internal memory (Local Disk) of this oscilloscope is 90.5 MByte. It provides a USB Host interface at the front panel to connect USB storage device for external storage. The USB storage device connected is marked as "Disk D".
Storage Type
Press     ? Storage to select the desired storage type. The default is "Picture". The storage and recall descriptions of each type are as follows.
1. Picture
Save the screen image to external memory in ".png", ".bmp8", ".bmp24", ".jpeg" or ".tiff" format. You can specify the file name and saving directory and save the corresponding parameter file (*.txt) under the same directory using the same file name. This parameter file is the same as the "Parameters" function. The recall of image and parameter files is not supported.
After selecting this type:
Press   to select the desired storage format.
Press   to enable or disable the parameter save function.
Press   to enable or disable the invert function.
Press   to select the desired storage color. It can be set to "Gray" or "Color".
Tip
After a USB storage device (FAT32 format, flash memory) is connected, press
at the front panel to quickly save the current screen image under the root directory of the USB storage device.
2. Traces
Save the waveform data of all enabled channels (analog channel and digital channel) to the external memory in "*.trc" format. When loading the traces file, display the waveform data on the screen directly. After the file is loaded, the loaded waveform will not change when you adjust the settings (such as the horizontal scale and vertical scale) of the oscilloscope.
Note:
? The reading and saving operations of the file in ".trc" format can only be completed on the oscilloscope.
? Press     tocleartheloadedwaveform;besides,otherwaveformsonthe screen will also be cleared. (If the oscilloscope is in the “RUN” state, new

14-2
MSO1000Z/DS1000Z User’s Guide
Storage
   Storage
    PicType
Param
Invert
Color
Clear

Chapter 14 Store and Recall RIGOL waveforms will be displayed on the screen.)
3. Waves
Save the main setting information (e.g. "On/Off" states of the channels, vertical scale and horizontal scale) and waveform data of all enabled channels (analog channel and digital channel) to the external memory in "*.wfm" format. When the waves file is loaded, the system will set the oscilloscope based on its existing saved setting information of the oscilloscope and recall all the waveform data. When the loading is complete, the oscilloscope will be in the "STOP" state. Under such situation, you can adjust the waveform display by changing the setting (such as the horizontal scale and vertical scale) of the oscilloscope; or you can adopt the one-key measurement or cursor measurement to measure the waveform parameters.
Note:
? The reading and saving operations of the file in ".wfm" format can only be completed on the oscilloscope.
? If you set the oscilloscope to be in the "RUN" state, the oscilloscope will start over the waveform sampling. (That means, the loaded waveform data will be cleared.)
4. Setups
Save the settings of the oscilloscope to internal or external memory in "*.stp" format. The stored settings can be recalled.
5. CSV
Save the screen waveform data of all enabled channels (analog channel and digital channel) or the memory data of the specified enabled channels to the external memory in "*.csv" format. You can specify the file name and the saving directory and save the corresponding parameter file (*.txt) under the same directory using the same file name. This parameter file is the same as the "Parameters" function. The recall of CSV and parameter files is not supported.
After selecting this type:
Press to select "Screen" or "Memory". After selecting "Memory", press
to select the desired channel (Note: Only channels currently enabled can be selected).
Press   to enable or disable the parameter save function.
Press   to choose whether to add sequence numbers for the waveform points in the CSV file. You can select "ON" or "OFF" and the default is "ON" (namely add the sequence number).
6. Parameters
Save the parameters of the screen waveform to the external memory in "*.txt" format. The parameter storage contains the system information (such as the
 Channel
DataSrc
  Param
Sequence
 MSO1000Z/DS1000Z User’s Guide 14-3
RIGOL Chapter 14 Store and Recall
 software and hardware version number) and the current setting information of the instrument (such as vertical, horizontal, trigger, etc). The recall of the parameter file is not supported.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 02:43:38 pm »
John,

That reads like a frustrating story - with both Emona and Telstra letting you down... My DS1054Z did certainly come with a CD, which comprised both the manual as a PDF and the (very bloated and hence not-so-useful) Windows software.

Getting the user manual information dished out piecemeal via forum posts, without proper formatting and without knowing what other relevant pieces of the manual you might be missing, must be totally unsatisfactory. Can't you find someplace in the neighborhood with a stable internet connection - neighbor, office, internet café? - and download the manual there?

In parallel, do push Emona again for a CD!

Regards,
Juergen

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 11:04:51 pm »
As the manual states, the DS1054z does not save "Traces", "Waves", "Pictures", "CSV" or "Param" to internal memory. Only "Setups" can be saved to internal memory from the STORAGE menu. The "Traces" etc. files can only be saved to external USB storage.

However, the "REF" button menu on the front panel allows one to save up to 10 reference waveforms in active internal memory, and to name and "export" these waveforms to internal or external memory with the .ref extension.

John, when the "can operate now" message appears after saving or loading a .trc file to/from the USB storage, what happens when you press the softkey on the bottom right side of the screen?
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 11:27:43 pm »
Welcome to the forum, John (hpxref). I saw your other, interrupted post, and put a link from it to this one. You can edit your posts, so if you get interrupted in the future, just view the partial post, click Modify (upper-right corner of the post) and continue where you left off.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline hpxrefTopic starter

Re: 2nd try Ds1054Z wavedorm storage/reading problem
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 03:31:58 am »
I would like to thank all the kind gentlemen on this Forum who replied with information and etc of how to use my 1054Z
Telstra seems tp have fixed my line, temporary at least, since then  and since then I have been away until now.
So, belatedly, Thank you all again, guys

John Byers

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf