Author Topic: 34401A, calibration, Sacramento area?  (Read 1030 times)

Offline sbixbyTopic starter

34401A, calibration, Sacramento area?
« on: June 01, 2018, 11:34:51 pm »
Hi from a new member.

I'm pretty much a novice in this field/hobby, but I've managed to find a few bits of test equipment at reasonable costs, including an Agilent 34401A purchased at a surplus shop awhile ago.  I've pulled it out of storage and now I'm curious about getting it calibrated to factory specs, and using it as a reference for my other bits and pieces of test gear.   Comparing to several handheld DMMs, I think this unit is roughly 10mv different in the 3-30v range, although I have no idea if it's more or less accurate than what I compared it to

So, any suggestions about how to do this, with these "constraints" in mind?
-- I don't need or want certificates, I'd just like to know the unit is decently close to factory specs, if it's serviceable to that level.
-- I'd love to find someone in the Sacramento area to take it to.
-- I'm willing to pay some reasonable amount for this, but I can't justify a whole lot.

For my hobby purposes I probably don't need 6 1/2 digit resolution, but it would be nice to have something pretty close to compare other things to.

Thanks for reading.   ;D

Offline RandallMcRee

• Frequent Contributor
Re: 34401A, calibration, Sacramento area?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 12:19:09 am »

Welcome!
I have recently moved to Davis.
If you drop by you can compare your equipment to a recently calibrated Keithley 2001. For standards I have a Fluke 731b and a DMMCheckPlus in addition there are various high precision resistors.

I'm not too interested in calibrating AC, so its just the DMMCheck in that area.

PM me if interested.

(To other folks--no this is not a calibration service of any kind...I hope that is clear. Just informal volt-nuttery.)

Randall

Offline sbixbyTopic starter

Re: 34401A, calibration, Sacramento area?
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 04:36:03 am »
Thank you, Randall....  I might take you up on it!

I have another avenue of exploration open too, friend-of-a-friend who works at an unnamed test equipment company. :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf