Author Topic: 6.5digit multimeters: Siglent SDM3065X vs fluke 8845A  (Read 9579 times)

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
Re: 6.5digit multimeters: Siglent SDM3065X vs fluke 8845A
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2018, 10:55:36 am »
Oh yeah, right ?  :palm:
So you haven't seen this thread:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-new-bench-dmm-sdm3055/

Or don't know they come with a Cal cert guaranteeing Datasheet accuracy ?
Or know about their 3 year warranty ?

And can't find any recent videos about them ?  :-//

Or are you just anti-Chinese equipment ?  :horse:
How's the long term support? Or the response when capacitors turn out to be missing? Siglent is working hard on getting things where they need to be, but there's still a fair bit of maturing to do.

Offline JanJansen

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2018, 12:53:51 pm »
+ the fact all the spammy siglent posts.
aliexpress parachute

Offline ElmarTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2018, 10:08:49 am »
thanks for all the advice, I ended up buying a second hand keithley 2000 for 280euro and made my own multiplexer, quite happy with it :)

The keitley i have now hasn't been callibrated recently, but I'm trying to figure out if this even matters for the relative measurements I'm doing.

What are you actually calibrating when you do a calibration? Does calibration only compensate for the linear error or also compensate for things like non-linearity  / offsets.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 10:12:10 am by Elmar »

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2018, 11:04:03 am »
thanks for all the advice, I ended up buying a second hand keithley 2000 for 280euro and made my own multiplexer, quite happy with it :)

The keitley i have now hasn't been callibrated recently, but I'm trying to figure out if this even matters for the relative measurements I'm doing.

What are you actually calibrating when you do a calibration? Does calibration only compensate for the linear error or also compensate for things like non-linearity  / offsets.
Instrument calibration is only checking if it meets specifications. Nothing more. If it is outside specs it needs adjusting (if possible) but that is a different process/job.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline PA4TIM

• Super Contributor
  • instruments are like rabbits, they multiply fast
    • PA4TIMs shelter for orphan measurement stuff
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2018, 11:27:04 am »
My 2000 is since I bought it new in 2011, still within specs.
But you do not know the history. For relative measurements that does not matter much.

You can send it in for calibration, but a goods tracable one with sw adjusting and before/after data is probably more expensive as what you paid for the meter. And only of some value after a few calibrations. If it has a terrible drift and they adjusted it, so it now can go through calibration, you do not know it drifted until after the next calibration. If after a few calibrations a meter does not change you can increase the interval. ( if a spot-on meter for the work you do, is important)

Calibration tells you the meter worked fine, (or not,) the period between 2 calibrations. It does not tell you how good it will be the next year. But based on a series of calibrations you can predict it (as long as it does not get defect)
www.pa4tim.nl my collection measurement gear and experiments Also lots of info about network analyse
www.schneiderelectronicsrepair.nl  repair of test and calibration equipment
https://www.youtube.com/user/pa4tim my youtube channel

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf