Author Topic: 7.5 digit bench DMMs comparison  (Read 26244 times)

Offline DragonyTopic starter

• Contributor
7.5 digit bench DMMs comparison
« on: September 23, 2016, 10:10:42 pm »
Hello,

I want to purchase a good 7.5 digit DMM for my bench. The problem is that for a hobbyist the price tags of this devices make it impossible to just buy and hope you got the right one. Furthermore a hobbyist won't look into 8.5 DMMs, since, well, hobbyist, you know.

I am surprised I were unable to find a good comparison between just 7.5 DMMs combined with price and year of release. When I decide to spend $2000-$4000 for a bench DMM, for many years to come I want to say "thats the best thing I can get for the money spent." Of course, who doesn't?

As far as I have found out so far the only available rather recently released 7.5 DMMS are Keithley DMM7510 and Keysight 34470A. Do you know any other ones?

The following users thanked this post: DonBox

Online Vgkid

• Super Contributor
Re: 7.5 digit bench DMMs comparison
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 10:23:19 pm »
Your other option for 7.5 digit dmms are: datron 1071, solartron 7075, solartron 7071, keithley 2001, hp 3457. There are most likely some from advantest, and prema.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 10:37:35 pm »
I found a suspiciously good comparison of DMM7510 vs 34470A. The DMM7510 is the clear winner. Can someone say if its plausible, or is it Keithley Propaganda?
http://imgur.com/gallery/Wbx7q

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 10:42:52 pm »
Why do you need/want 7,5 digits and have you looked at the cost for calibration each and every year?

Offline zlymex

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 12:12:42 am »
The Advantest one is R6871, the Prema one is 5017. There are also another Datron one 1081, another Keysight 34420A, another Solartron 7061, and 8071 from Transmille. I am a hobbyist and I got three 8.5 digit DMMs(1281, 3458A and R6581T)

Offline TiN

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016, 02:02:07 am »
DiligentMinds.com
I prefer this over the Keithley, because as I understand it you cannot calibrate just one range on the Keithley (it's all or nothing)-- I don't have one of these so I may be wrong, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Correct, even more of that - full manufacturing-type calibration is required via GPIB for K2001 to get 200mADC,2ADC ranges calibrated. That require high-voltage AC source access, as levels like 200VAC 30kHz are needed.

...rather nice user interface upgrades that you don't get with older equipment...
Downgrades too, as 30-year old K2001 have option slot for scanner card , making it 10-channel DAQ system in one box.

Dragony
You must define your primary use of 7.5-digit, and go from there, based on your requirements.
There is no "best" meter, it's much more like right tool for right task kind of thing. If you need remote onsite box with graphing and logging without access to computer - surely DMM7510 is great for that. If you need scan 10 sensors for your project - old K2001 is the option. Looking for something cheaper and decent - used 34465 or Keithley 2010 might be good pick. Need low level measurements or voltage comparisons? Keithley 2182/HPAK 34420A hard to beat on this area.
As you can see, these are rather different tools.

If your budget scales up to 4-5K$ then worth to think really carefully, as that amount of money can open the door to 3458A, which is different league instrument (but bit less useful for everyday poking and have large hidden costs risk). I had collected many datalogs including some comparisons here.

Just another 5c from hobbyist with 3 8.5d DMMs and 4 7.5d ones. :D
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 02:05:17 am by TiN »
YouTube | Metrology IRC Chat room | Let's share T&M documentation? Upload! No upload limits for firmwares, photos, files.

Offline Jay_Diddy_B

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2016, 02:19:04 am »
Hi,

What are you doing that requires 7.5 digits?

In a lot of meters this extra digits give you resolution, but not more accuracy. There has been digit inflation. I am not going to call them 'marketing digits' because there may be some instances such as transfer accuracy when they may be useful. Transfer accuracy is very short term accuracy.

One of my favorite meters, and under-rated not talked about very much is the Fluke 8842A. This uses the LTFLU or SZA263 reference and has the following specifications:

1 year accuracy on the 20V DC range is 0.0035% (35 ppm) percentage of reading +2 counts.

The HP34401A is a 6.5 digit meter but the 1 year accuracy on the 10V dc range is 0.0035%  + 0.0005% of the range

It is the same accuracy but one more digit of resolution.

The HP3457A 1 year accuracy is 0.0040% (40ppm)  +20 counts (at 6.5 digits) when averaging over 10 power line cycles.

This is a 6.5 digit meter with a high resolution 7.5 digit mode.

The Keithley 2001 does a little better at 0.0024% (24ppm) + 4ppm of range on the 20V dc range (1 year)

A lot of these meters use the same LM399 reference or a reference that has similar performance, and the accuracy specifications reflect this. Now there are other contributions from resistors and the ADC.

A good indication of better performance is a meter with the LTZ1000 or LTZ1000A reference.

The Keithley 2002 is 10ppm +0.15ppm of range on the 20V DC range at 1 year.

The HP 3458A is 8ppm on the 10V range at 1 year, 4ppm with the high stability option.

The Datron 1281 is 6ppm + 0.1ppm of range on the 10V range at 1 year. They also suggest a 2.5ppm calibration uncertainty.

To get the ppm level accuracy you have to take special care not to introduce thermocouples in the leads, warm up times etc.

I chose 1 year accuracy and the 10V or 20V range, because this is a typical use case.

I just wanted to show you that resolution doesn't mean accuracy.
Calibration doesn't imply accuracy either. Calibration is not adjustment. Calibration is confirming that meter is inside the specifications. Calibration improves confidence.

You want to consider other features when choosing a bench meter, data logging is one feature.

My collection includes:

Datron 1281, K2001, 3x 3457A, Solatron 7081 (rarely used), 4x 3478A, 2 Fluke 8842A and a Fluke 732A DC voltage standard to check them.

Regards,

Jay_Diddy_B

« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 02:23:43 am by Jay_Diddy_B »

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2016, 03:51:13 am »
I don't really feel like buying a DMM for every application, but maybe this explains why some of you folks have half a dozen DMMs...

Right now I have one bench DMM, the Rigol DM3068, but the device was not able to fulfil the following tasks I actually encountered:

- Measuring current flow of 10nA failed. Too noisy.

- Measuring current consumption based on cap discharge hardly works. I don't trust the results. The problem is DC Bias. I also encountered the phenomenon that the unconnected DMM set to 10G input impedance rises on voltage 1V/s. Looks like DC Bias as well. Of course this does not happen with 10M, but I can't use 10M for this task as it would bias the measurement. I use 10G for this.

- Annoying fan (although on this topic I won't find happyness with both above metioned DMM candidates...)

- Differential measurements my oscilloscope can't do without Math. This is more a bonus. When I create DC/DC converters, for most non-critital diagnostics I could use the Keithleys 1M/s as a "cheap" Osc. If it really is able to display them, its a 1us resolution. Good enough for my requirements.

- Data logging to PC for time based calculations.

And of course it has to be much better(tm) than my Rigol, because I love having some new cool stuff ;)

Offline Faith

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2016, 05:54:13 am »
You might be interested in taking a look at the last page or two of the Keysight 34465A & 34470A thread (linked below). As already mentioned while the extra digit does give you extra resolution it may not necessarily translate into extra accuracy.

And with the Keysight 34465A it is easy to use math scaling to see well beyond the six and a half digits which you would normally get on the display without the need to export the data to a PC.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/keysight's-new-34465a-(6-5-digit)-and-34470a-(7-5-digit)-bench-multimeters/msg1008179/#msg1008179
<3 ~Faith~

Offline TiN

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2016, 05:55:36 am »
Dragony
Seem that your needs are towards low-current high-impedance stuff. In this case all abovementioned 7.5digit DMMs and 8.5d ones will fail as well. You need electrometer for such job, such as Keithley 6514/6517 with guarded triax cabling, shield boxes and all related stuff.
YouTube | Metrology IRC Chat room | Let's share T&M documentation? Upload! No upload limits for firmwares, photos, files.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2016, 08:37:04 am »
Calibration doesn't imply accuracy either. Calibration is not adjustment. Calibration is confirming that meter is inside the specifications. Calibration improves confidence.
As discussed in another topic with someone from a cal lab if you do not ask explicitly for adjustment and the meter is within a one year accuracy you are right.
If you ask explicitly for readjustment with the calibration they will do this but since they have double work they will charge you double. For a cheap lab with cal instruments suitable for 6,5 digits dmm this will already cost you the price of half the new meter (400-500) , i do not want to know how much an official 7,5 or 8,5 adj +cal will set you back for, probably the price of a brand new 6,5 digit dmm.

Offline Dr. Frank

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2016, 08:53:54 am »
I found a suspiciously good comparison of DMM7510 vs 34470A. The DMM7510 is the clear winner. Can someone say if its plausible, or is it Keithley Propaganda?

Clear winner in which aspect?
These tests are not well-grounded.

The absolute readings / uncertainty will depend on the passed time of usage, after last calibration, and this is not defined in his 'test'. The 7510 may be freshly calibrated, and the 34470A may have had last calibration one year ago. So that's an invalid comparison. In the end, both instruments are still well inside their 24h specs!

If you look closely to the StD statistics of the different DCV ranges (100mV, 1V, 10V),  which is in practice identical to rms noise, you will see, that in contradiction to his final noise testing, the 34470A and the 7510 always  show nearly identical StD.

He estimates the noise  from the graphic display, obviously.
In this case, he could better have used the statistical function, again, w/o disturbing the cables, as he claims to have done during the uncertainty testing.

Also, a measurement on a single NPLC number gives a limited picture only.
NPLC 1 gives always noisy readings, not worth 7 digits, so NPLC 10 or better NPLC 100..500 (or averaged equivalents) would tell the interesting facts about noise performance for 7 1/2 digits.

TiN had organized a big noise comparison test, over a broad range of NPLC numbers for each instrument, which gives much more illuminative pictures on these instruments.
https://xdevs.com/article/dmm_noise/

But as far as I can see, still no contribution on a 7510, what a pity.
But anyhow, the comparison to the superior 3458A might give you a better understanding of that parameter testing. 

To my opinion, and experience, the real performance  of 7 1/2 digits instruments in terms of noise, stability specification and linearity do not justify at all their high price, twice or four times than of comparable modern 6 1/2 digit instruments. See also my already linked 465/470 comparison tests.

Anyhow, all their user interfaces, digitizing and nice graphical features are a big pro over old boxes like the 3458A.

So, if you are crazy enough, i.e. going volt-nuts, and spend 2 .. 4k $/€/SFr, I could fully understand that  ;)
If you decide to buy Keysight '465A or '470A, don't forget to order the digitizing option, the additional 2M memory (recommended for digitizing) currently is for free.
The 7510 already comes with  more and better features on this aspect, I think.

Frank
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 10:13:20 am by Dr. Frank »

The following users thanked this post: Mickle T.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2016, 09:06:30 am »
As far as I have found out so far the only available rather recently released 7.5 DMMS are Keithley DMM7510 and Keysight 34470A. Do you know any other ones?

When you are looking at this high end you really shouldn't consider anything else unless you have a very specific niche requirement for something.
What's wrong with 6.5 digit BTW?

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2016, 10:51:57 am »
I have the Keysight 34470A for a while now and like it a lot for my VoltNuts addiction.
The calibration of this one is 1 1/2 years old

Now I have brand new Keithley DMM7510
This one was calibrated in 8/2016

In the next few days I will make some comparison measurements between the two.
But so far I see the following on my LTZ1000A reference:
The 34470A reads about 18 uV high
And the DMM7510 is about 20 uV low

What is really impressive with the 7510 is how quick it is warmed up to show a stable reading.
I have not measured it, but it is less then one minute, it seems.

Both instruments are recommended.
The handling is just very different.

If you are in to low current measurements, the 34470 has a 1 uA current range and the DMM7510 has a 10 uA current range.
And the 34470A is just amazing, in measuring this low current.
I have not tested this on the Keithley meter.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline Mickle T.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2016, 10:59:47 am »
It's a Keithley Propaganda.
[–]NorthBus ... 1 year ago
I'm an analog hardware engineer from the Keithley 7510 project team ...
https://www.reddit.com/r/electronics/comments/2t6935/keithley_7510_gsmdmm_released_75_digit_1_plc_45/

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2016, 01:09:12 pm »
It's a Keithley Propaganda.
I agree, most definitely propaganda by a guy that was on the 7510 design team.

But he posted a few interesting things on reddit

Well, there's the fact that our primary precision, low noise, sensing FET was pulled by the manufacturer halfway through our design process. They said it's obsolete and they're not making it anymore. Cue a crazy many-month scramble to find and design in a replacement.

Or how we learned how amazingly sensitive grounds can be, when a stray few microamps flowed through a few milliohms of trace resistance, but only under certain rare conditions. That little bit extra threw off our measurements by a few digits until we found it and fixed it.

And of course, there was the time when an early firmware bug caused some bad interaction between the program pointer and the speaker output, causing looped program data to be streamed over the speaker. Loudly. Our problem report referenced units "screaming in pain".

I think I can answer a few questions without giving away any trade secrets or anything:

Noise? Well, very careful grounding, for one. Also, our low-noise amplifiers are all made from discrete components rather than off-the-shelf op-amps, some of which components go through additional selection processes, matching, auto-calibration-biasing, etc. Also, said selection process is annoying as piss to handle form an engineer's perspective.

Front end? To keep it accurate while still providing all the functions and ranges, the unit tests and corrects various parts of the frontend in between measurements. That's the toggle-able "AutoZero" option on the unit.

The ADC? We actually have two different ones in this unit. If you are on a "slow" function (slower than, say, 10k sample/s), you use our custom, Keithley-built 32-bit A/D. Anything faster than that uses an Analog Devices AD7982 18-bit SAR with (again) a highly customized frontend.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2016, 02:16:31 pm »
I wonder if Keithley has addressed the complains about the fan in the meantime? How do those companies work? Is it a "fire and forget" type of development and they will just never address it, or is there a chance they will reduce the noise of the fan in future revisions? Maybe they already have done so? Thats still an annoying thing on the DMM.

And why is everyone concerned about high voltage? I have high voltage on my clothing all the time and I am fine.  :-//
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 02:18:28 pm by Dragony »

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2016, 02:27:04 pm »
Actually the fan noise of the 7510 is not annoying to me at all.
May be its will get louder during high current measurements but right now it is not even noticeable.

The original fan of the Agilent 34410A DMM and some Agilent power supplies are much louder.

Offline Dr. Frank

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2016, 03:02:27 pm »
The fan on the 465/470A is quite silent.
Keysight also was very agile to correct several FW bugs, (I got two fixed consecutively) so they really listen to the customer

Frank

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2016, 03:07:44 pm »
You can always replace it with low noise brands such as Noctua and BeQuiet. First thing I do with professional network equipment is replace those airplane fans.

Offline plesa

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2016, 03:25:47 pm »
For your applications I will purchase instead of one instrument at least two.
The modern DMM with graphical LCD look nice and for basic statistic it is OK, but for normal use I needs to use PC it is more comfortable (consider BenchVue or logging with some Visual basic scripts or Python). Small factor PC (e.g Infocus Kangaroo for $150 including Win10 )Raspberry Pi or any small form factor PC and some old DMM like 2001/3441xA/34401 can be good enough.

For nA current measurement I will buy Keithley 6485, 6414/6517 is little bit overkill if you needs on sub nA measurements.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 05:58:37 pm by plesa »

Offline acbern

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2016, 11:24:39 am »
Also for precision gear, such as 7 and 8 digit DMMs I would only go with used ones. That always provided they are not badly worn. At least for hobbyist use, they dont run often, so the remaining lifetime is most likely not an issue at all (some preventive cap replacement on certain ones may be a good idea, as has been pointed out here, altough I do not share that experience...), and they have a well aged reference and other parts, with related low drift, and of course the price is a fraction of a new one. This is why some metrologists only buy the used 732As... I would not think a second if I had to decide between a used and warrantied 3458A and a new 7 digit DMM.

The following users thanked this post: elecdonia

Offline plesa

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2016, 05:13:00 pm »
Also for precision gear, such as 7 and 8 digit DMMs I would only go with used ones. That always provided they are not badly worn. At least for hobbyist use, they dont run often, so the remaining lifetime is most likely not an issue at all (some preventive cap replacement on certain ones may be a good idea, as has been pointed out here, altough I do not share that experience...), and they have a well aged reference and other parts, with related low drift, and of course the price is a fraction of a new one. This is why some metrologists only buy the used 732As... I would not think a second if I had to decide between a used and warrantied 3458A and a new 7 digit DMM.

I will add that used are good in case there is schematic available, otherwise it can be painful to repair. PArts availability is important factor as well. In this segment is "better" Keithley with only few custom parts against HP/Agilent.
Used does not mean it is fully working within spec, only few customers are using all functions to their limits. So lot of issues are not know to the seller.
This was my experience mainly on low current measurement devices. There are only few applications where 6.5 digit DMM is not enough and you needs 7.5 or 8.5 digit.
I needs to return new 3458A after few months for convergence error. In case I'll buy used one for $2500 and after that return it to Keysight for repair  $2851 and calibration the total cost will be >50% of new unit ( $9778 with 3 years warranty). So the used 3458A is worthwhile only if it was recently tested/calibrated and checked for drift.

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2016, 05:21:32 pm »
I would like to know what kind of electronic hobbist circuit need a 7 1/2 digits meter accuracy , I stoped on 50000 count's meters and never need anything more than that for hobby, would be interesting to evaluate hobby application to support the investment on this class of meter for hobby

Offline TiN

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2016, 06:17:47 pm »
ebclr
High resolution DAC/ADC testing, voltage references design and experimenting, ratiometric measurements (e.g. bridges, comparators). How these areas fill into home hobby? Well, that's a question outside of the choosing DMM here. It's often not resolution what justify such instruments, but their stability and accuracy. But that's only if 7.5/8.5 meter is tested and calibrated. Otherwise calibrated 6.5-digit meter in such cases often provide better accuracy than uncalibrated unknown 8.5-digit one.

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2016, 06:22:54 pm »
Do i also need a temperature and humidity controlled room in my home to do this high level hobby, perhaps some transfers standards, Sorry this isn't hobby this is NIST research department

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2016, 07:02:32 pm »
ebclr
High resolution DAC/ADC testing, voltage references design and experimenting, ratiometric measurements (e.g. bridges, comparators). How these areas fill into home hobby? Well, that's a question outside of the choosing DMM here. It's often not resolution what justify such instruments, but their stability and accuracy. But that's only if 7.5/8.5 meter is tested and calibrated. Otherwise calibrated 6.5-digit meter in such cases often provide better accuracy than uncalibrated unknown 8.5-digit one.
Quite so.
I hear Chinese whispers a 6.5 digit model is not too far from the marketplace.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2016, 07:13:25 pm »
Do i also need a temperature and humidity controlled room in my home to do this high level hobby, perhaps some transfers standards, Sorry this isn't hobby this is NIST research department
Well, a 7 1/2 digit multimeter will give you some good resolution for temperature measurement.
My new Keithley DMM7510 shows 4 digits after the decimal point.

I had a very good Fluke probe sitting in a bottle of water that was at equilibrium with the room temperature for a few days already.
The probe needed some hours to settle until only the last digit fluctuated.
Then I took a LED flashlight from about 1 m away and pointed it at the PT100 sensor inside the water bottle
And the last digit started to climb
Pretty amazing to see this.

Here is a first screen shot, just figured out to use HOME and ENTER simultaneous to get a screen shot to the USB stick.
(Why can the Keysight 34470A not have this cool feature)

Offline Dwaine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2016, 07:56:33 pm »
Well, a 7 1/2 digit multimeter will give you some good resolution for temperature measurement.
My new Keithley DMM7510 shows 4 digits after the decimal point.

I had a very good Fluke probe sitting in a bottle of water that was at equilibrium with the room temperature for a few days already.
The probe needed some hours to settle until only the last digit fluctuated.
Then I took a LED flashlight from about 1 m away and pointed it at the PT100 sensor inside the water bottle
And the last digit started to climb
Pretty amazing to see this.

Here is a first screen shot, just figured out to use HOME and ENTER simultaneous to get a screen shot to the USB stick.
(Why can the Keysight 34470A not have this cool feature)

Stop it....  I'm drooling.....   Every hobby Lab should have a DMM7510.....

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2016, 01:23:16 am »
Based on the resolution of the temperate you are reading  I assume you are using a quantum mechanics sensor otherwise all those digits except the first 2 is a lot on nonsense number

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2016, 07:14:03 am »
Right now I have one bench DMM, the Rigol DM3068, but the device was not able to fulfil the following tasks I actually encountered:

- Measuring current consumption based on cap discharge hardly works. I don't trust the results. The problem is DC Bias. I also encountered the phenomenon that the unconnected DMM set to 10G input impedance rises on voltage 1V/s. Looks like DC Bias as well. Of course this does not happen with 10M, but I can't use 10M for this task as it would bias the measurement. I use 10G for this.

Neither of those requirements implies need for a 7.5 digit resolution.

The "10nA" implies amplification before measurement. Of course that will directly expose fundamental measurement problems (e.g. noise, thermal and acoustic effects, maybe even number of electrons/s...) that can't be solved by a higher resolution measurement.

The "DC bias" issue implies you have a very high source impedance, which has other knock-on consequences.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline e61_phil

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2016, 07:23:39 am »

Did you try measuring 10nA in 100mV range with 10Meg input imepdance?

Online bson

• Supporter
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2016, 07:48:08 am »
For a cheap lab with cal instruments suitable for 6,5 digits dmm this will already cost you the price of half the new meter (400-500) ,
I paid $99 to have the 34465A calibrated after a year.  There is nothing to adjust - all that's done is installing of the new calibration data, which is automatically done by the calibration process, to compensate for drift.  I'm not aware of any modern DMM with anything to adjust; it's going to measure whatever it measures, and if it's out of spec (so far off the measurement can't be used for a linear reading based on calibration data) it needs to be repaired.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2016, 08:42:29 am »
I paid $99 to have the 34465A calibrated after a year.  There is nothing to adjust - all that's done is installing of the new calibration data, which is automatically done by the calibration process, to compensate for drift.  I'm not aware of any modern DMM with anything to adjust; it's going to measure whatever it measures, and if it's out of spec (so far off the measurement can't be used for a linear reading based on calibration data) it needs to be repaired.
That depends on the calibration service. Normally they only measure your meter against known standard references and print out the deviation from those reference, they do not adjust anything, they just give you a piece of paper stating how much your meter deviates. That costs here in Europe between €140 and €300

If you want that they adjust your meter to the reference, then they measure the deviation, adjust and measure again the deviation, this costs twice or sometimes even more.
I know that in the US there are more cal labs and also cal labs that charge way less than here in Europe. For $99 measuring and adjusting would be an absolute bargain.

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2016, 09:16:43 am »
I just spoke to Keithley Germany about the DMM7510 and also asked about calibration.
The guy quoted me Euro 330 over the phone (without adjustment) plus VAT and 1 week turnaround.
If adjustments are needed it will cost much more, depending on the adjustments, he said.

Online bson

• Supporter
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2016, 06:43:25 pm »
That depends on the calibration service. Normally they only measure your meter against known standard references and print out the deviation from those reference,
I take my instruments to a well-regarded used equipment vendor in Santa Clara who regularly sends batches of equipment off to a local lab for calibration.  I find out when the next shipment is and drive down there, and drop it off.  I don't pay for a full report, only the standard NIST traceability certificate, and on return can verify that the calibration data has been updated both from the updated calibration date and from the fact that the readouts differ for my DMMCheck.  Since the readouts differ and there is nothing to adjust it implies there is new calibration data installed.  It's even possible the 34465A won't permit setting the calibration info string without also installing calibration data - some makes and firmware won't permit this.

They charged $150 for my Keithley 2001 (7.5d) two years ago if memory serves.  This is all quite cheap.

A lab that only compares the displayed readouts to a standard is worthless.  Proper calibration procedures for DMMs follow a specific SCPI based script that both validates measurements are within specification and installs new calibration data.  If they don't have the software to do this I'd go somewhere else, but any decent lab will.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 06:45:13 pm by bson »

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2018, 04:16:01 pm »
I have the Keysight 34470A for a while now and like it a lot for my VoltNuts addiction.
The calibration of this one is 1 1/2 years old

Now I have brand new Keithley DMM7510
This one was calibrated in 8/2016

In the next few days I will make some comparison measurements between the two.
But so far I see the following on my LTZ1000A reference:
The 34470A reads about 18 uV high
And the DMM7510 is about 20 uV low

What is really impressive with the 7510 is how quick it is warmed up to show a stable reading.
I have not measured it, but it is less then one minute, it seems.

Both instruments are recommended.
The handling is just very different.

If you are in to low current measurements, the 34470 has a 1 uA current range and the DMM7510 has a 10 uA current range.
And the 34470A is just amazing, in measuring this low current.
I have not tested this on the Keithley meter.

I've noticed this too, it only takes about 3 min to stabilized to sub PPM levels.  Here, I powered mine on with my 10v reference already fully stabilized.

Overall, from cold startup to 8 min;

First 90 seconds zoomed in;

Reaching 2 min mark;

Final stabilization;

« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 04:21:14 pm by kj7e »

The following users thanked this post: fonograph

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2018, 05:35:09 pm »

I've noticed this too, it only takes about 3 min to stabilized to sub PPM levels.  Here, I powered mine on with my 10v reference already fully stabilized.

It is truly amazing, how fast the DMM7510 will stabilize after a coldstart.
And you do not need to use the ACAL feature of the 7510, to get reliable readings.

Offline Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2018, 08:04:09 am »
The jagged curve suggests that the 7510 uses some periodic corrections to compensate for drift about every 2 seconds. This could be temperature measurements and numerical corrections or maybe short adjustment cycles for the ADC gain (so kind of a partial ACAL).

In the 10 V range there is no need for that many parts to stabilize: its mainly the reference and some amplifier offsets to a point that the internal corrections / AZ works. The 1 V or 0.1 V range might need considerably more time.

The slightly larger jump at about 80 seconds looks a little odd. If such a jump (around 20 µV, if a judge the scales right) would happen in the more normal working range it could be really bad. It looks like those corrections also show some errors/noise.

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2018, 10:47:58 am »
Here is a good comparison of a Keithley DMM7510 and a Keysight 34470A
Both hooked up to a 10V reference

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2018, 12:59:29 pm »

The slightly larger jump at about 80 seconds looks a little odd. If such a jump (around 20 µV, if a judge the scales right) would happen in the more normal working range it could be really bad. It looks like those corrections also show some errors/noise.

The bump at 80 sec was me disturbing the unit, power on default is 10M input and 1 NPLC, I switched it to Hi-Z and 2 NPLC.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 05:32:57 am by kj7e »

Offline kelemvor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2023, 06:12:02 pm »
Dragony, did you ever come to a decision?  If so, what did you go with?  I'm in a similar boat.  I want to buy a nice 7.5-digit meter for my home hobby lab, and I'm hoping someone's already done the work of comparing these devices.  I don't want to pay such an extreme price and then immediately wish I'd gone with a different one.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2023, 07:39:18 pm »
.......... for my home hobby lab, and I'm hoping someone's already done the work of comparing these devices. I don't want to pay such an extreme price and then immediately wish I'd gone with a different one.
:-DD
Pick another hobby.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: croma641

Offline mendip_discovery

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2023, 08:16:24 pm »
Go 8.5 and be done with it.
Motorcyclist, Nerd, and I work in a Calibration Lab :-)
--
So everyone is clear, Calibration = Taking Measurement against a known source, Verification = Checking Calibration against Specification, Adjustment = Adjusting the unit to be within specifications.

Online tomud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2023, 08:24:24 pm »
.......... for my home hobby lab, and I'm hoping someone's already done the work of comparing these devices. I don't want to pay such an extreme price and then immediately wish I'd gone with a different one.
Pick another hobby.

You are cruel   :scared:

Go 8.5 and be done with it.

:-+
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple neat and wrong...

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2023, 08:37:16 pm »
Pick another hobby.

You are cruel   :scared:
You think.

I developed some fascination with VNA's that a SVA1015X solved for a while but was replaced with a SVA1032X and now supplemented with a $14k 4 port SNA5004A.
That's nearing $20k invested in 2 great instruments to support my hobby.........
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online tomud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2023, 08:43:31 pm »
You think.

I think...

...thinking about buying the SNA5012A for hobby purposes  :-DD
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 08:46:28 pm by tomud »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2023, 08:49:31 pm »
You think.

I think...

...thinking about buying the SNA5012 for hobby purposes  :-DD
;D
My SNA5004A magically became SNA5104A  ;)
But better is coming..... VNA 2 and 4 port models to 26.5 GHz  :o  :scared:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2023, 09:13:00 pm »
Well we got three KS34465A and put them in series for a 19 1/2 digit DMM  :-+

Here we are measuring our calibrated AA cell at 0.52897705273240526222 volts  :-DMM

Darn AA cell must be dead  :o

Best,
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, Tjuurko, tooki

Offline DavidKo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2023, 09:14:20 am »
You are doomed. IKEA no longer produces alkaline cells.

@tautech: you can try photography, cycling etc.  instead of electronics >:D, sometimes it may be cheaper

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2023, 11:11:41 am »
go grab a  8100 Series from Transmille   loll

EDIT   or the Fluke 8588A  loll
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 11:13:20 am by coromonadalix »

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2023, 01:41:57 pm »
You are doomed. IKEA no longer produces alkaline cells.

@tautech: you can try photography, cycling etc.  instead of electronics >:D, sometimes it may be cheaper

Yes, this is the last of our Reference IKEA AA cells!! Will probably need to replace with a DuraHell or NeverReady AA cell :palm:

Best,
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2023, 03:42:18 pm »
CellAgeddon    loll

Offline elecdonia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2023, 07:15:28 pm »
Although I am one digit short of 7.5, I remain quite satisfied with the performance and features of my HP 3456A 6.5 digit digital multimeter.

I do wish it was smaller, especially its dimension from front to back. This is too large for most of the shelves in my workshop.

I consider it to be one of my best “scores” for obtaining functional/useful vintage test gear. It was an ebay auction that went for $22 USD. Shipping however added $60 USD to my cost. Yes, this unit fits into the “boat anchor” category. Still a great deal at <$100 USD. I posted this shortly after getting it:
   eevblog.com/forum/testgear/list-your-test-equipment-score-here!/msg1134405
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 07:17:34 pm by elecdonia »
I’m learning to be a leading-edge designer of trailing-edge technology.

Offline Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2023, 08:43:57 pm »
The choice of new 7 digit meters is relative limited: mainly the KS34470 , Keithley DMM7510 or 2010 and maybe one from Advantest or Transmile.  The Keithley 2001 is a rather old design and except if one needs a 20 V range I would not consider it anymore.

Online tomud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2023, 03:06:16 am »
Although I am one digit short of 7.5, I remain quite satisfied with the performance and features of my HP 3456A 6.5 digit digital multimeter.

You have to ask yourself if you really need 7 1/2 digits or more. I know that such a multimeter looks nice. However, you have to spend a lot and take care of calibration from time to time to make it make sense (this generates additional expenses).

IMHO, if someone asks about the price and is afraid of high costs, to be honest, they probably don't need such accuracy. I think that for amateur applications, 6 and 1/2 digits are enough (even that is usually too much). For example, the mentioned KS34465A.

If someone needs such a multimeter, it is enough to review the technical data of multimeters from reputable companies and he will know whether it will work in the projects he performs...
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 03:21:03 am by tomud »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2023, 10:51:01 am »

You have to ask yourself if you really need 7 1/2 digits or more. I know that such a multimeter looks nice. However, you have to spend a lot and take care of calibration from time to time to make it make sense (this generates additional expenses).

IMHO, if someone asks about the price and is afraid of high costs, to be honest, they probably don't need such accuracy. I think that for amateur applications, 6 and 1/2 digits are enough (even that is usually too much). For example, the mentioned KS34465A.

If someone needs such a multimeter, it is enough to review the technical data of multimeters from reputable companies and he will know whether it will work in the projects he performs...

Agreed. Rarely does anyone need more than a 6.5 digit meter, and you are paying a real premium to get it. So better off to use that extra money saved to buy another piece of kit.

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2023, 11:12:17 am »
+1  and  the calibration pricing ....

Offline iMo

• Super Contributor
  • It's important to try new things..
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2023, 11:26:37 am »
Agreed. Rarely does anyone need more than a 6.5 digit meter, and you are paying a real premium to get it. So better off to use that extra money saved to buy another piece of kit.
Yep, do buy the second and third 6.5 digit meter off the saved money then (as people do say you want 3 meters to be sure)  :D :D

Online tomud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2023, 02:22:26 pm »
Yep, do buy the second and third 6.5 digit meter off the saved money then (as people do say you want 3 meters to be sure)  :D :D

For most, two is enough to have a dilemma which multimeter tells the truth  :-DD

Offline elecdonia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2023, 04:05:12 pm »
For most, two is enough to have a dilemma which multimeter tells the truth  :-DD
My HP 3456A is my only 6.5 digit DMM.

That said, all 3 of my “every day” bench DMMs are 5.5 digit: HP 3468B and two Fluke 8800A. A handy feature of the Fluke 8800A is being able to keep it on the 200V range nearly all the time. I can measure up to 199.999V with 1mV resolution without changing the range. Another nifty Fluke 8800A feature is its extremely high input resistance on the 200mV, 2V, and 20V DC ranges. It accomplishes this with an electrometer-style input buffer amplifier which has compensation to zero out its input bias current. Impressive circuit design for the 1970’s!
I’m learning to be a leading-edge designer of trailing-edge technology.

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2023, 06:05:58 pm »
We have 3 KS34465As called Moe, Larry and Curly, and two 34401As called Laurel and Hardy. Our lone DMM6500 is called Rufus, named after our cousin.

Rufus lived close by in Redneckville, Tenn, as our family tree has only one branch ;D

Rufus and I graduated from High School at the same time, we were both 23 and in the Gifted Program  :palm:

Anyway, we often ask Moe, Larry & Curly, and/or Laurel & Hardy and even Rufus to see which gives the same answers, just to be sure we've got the right answer ^-^

Best,
« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 06:12:21 pm by mawyatt »
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf