Author Topic: A few questions about the Rigol DS1054Z  (Read 2480 times)

Offline metrologistTopic starter

• Super Contributor
A few questions about the Rigol DS1054Z
« on: May 27, 2016, 03:47:21 pm »
I just received my scope last night and spent a couple hours getting familiar with it. So far it's great!

I recall watching a video by one of the popular youtubers (mjlorton, I think) where he was using a scope to measure the voltage of LiPo battery while being charged. This was a long term measurement (hours, I think) and I wanted to make a similar measurement with my DS1054Z. Can it do it?

This is where I got confused about the waveform record, which I thought I could use. Here is what I thought given the numbers in the manual:

Interval max is 10 s
Frames (or segments) I thought I read somewhere was 5000 max (but this is not the case as it appears to be a calculated max)

Using my first assumption, I calculated 10 s * 5000 = 13 hours. I thought I would set a 10 s sweep, but then record is not available.

If sampling rate is set to 12 kSa/s, then with 1 GSa/s, you'd get 23 hours, so I thought I'd use the Roll mode - but again no recording is available (which I then found the recording limitations in the manual).

Now I am also aware of this formula:

MDepth = SRate * TScale * HDivs

and that is indicated for each Frame (which they actually call Length).

This seems to be a limit:
Mdepth = 24,000,000
Srate = 12,000 Sa/s
Hdiv = 12 divs (a constant)
Tscale = 0.000165 s or less

per frame.

I'll have to work out the math on some of my settings, but I came across a few scenarios where I could not increase the Interval to more than or less than 100ns and only 2 Frames, and my time base was set around 8 MHz to probably around 100 kHz (I was looking at an 8 MHz 5-pulse burst with a repetition rate of around 1 MHz). I do not have the scope with me now, but these are two things that did not get completely resolved on my first run-through of knob twisting...

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: A few questions about the Rigol DS1054Z
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 06:37:26 pm »
I just received my scope last night and spent a couple hours getting familiar with it. So far it's great!

I recall watching a video by one of the popular youtubers (mjlorton, I think) where he was using a scope to measure the voltage of LiPo battery while being charged. This was a long term measurement (hours, I think) and I wanted to make a similar measurement with my DS1054Z. Can it do it?

The lowest a DS1054Z can go is 50 seconds per horizontal division.

There's 12 divisions so that's 10 minutes maximum recording time.

Offline uncle_bob

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 07:01:14 pm »
Hi

Since the scope can dump data via ethernet or USB, you can effectively extend the dataset using a computer. A bit of software coding and you can start filling up a disk drive with data points or full trace records..

Bob

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 09:01:10 pm »
Record works at a horizontal timebase of 100 ms/div or faster. If you set Mem Depth at 12k in the Acquire menu, you can then record 5197 frames at an interval of 10 seconds between frames, each of which covers 1.2 seconds at 100 ms/div. This equals something like 16 hours of elapsed time, during which about 104 minutes of actual waveform time is recorded.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 09:03:35 pm by alsetalokin4017 »
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf