Author Topic: A look at the Uni-T UT210E  (Read 440724 times)

Offline Martini

• Regular Contributor
Re: A look at the Uni-T UT210E
« Reply #500 on: March 06, 2018, 08:31:31 pm »
The certification might just be because Extech can afford it with their crazy markup.

I can't justify spending the $200 to find out, but I'm curious.
If only Amazon allowed you to send a unit back within 30 days to get a refund...
Wait! Don't they do that? ;D

Offline lavardera

• Contributor
« Reply #501 on: March 06, 2018, 08:34:34 pm »
If the ExTech and the Uni-T are very similar inside, and the ExTech is just certified because money, well thats also an interesting outcome.

If only Amazon allowed you to send a unit back within 30 days to get a refund...
Ha! I can't bring myself to do that.. :(
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 08:37:41 pm by lavardera »

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #502 on: March 06, 2018, 10:00:38 pm »
what would you do with the fuses?? i reads current using the clamp!

Offline lavardera

• Contributor
« Reply #503 on: March 07, 2018, 04:23:15 pm »
Ahh, true. No touchy, no fusey. :-+

Offline TangLoz

« Reply #504 on: March 18, 2018, 11:16:23 pm »
After reading this great thread, i decided to buy a UT210E. However, my UT210E doesn't work properly. I'm not able to measure DC current from my cellphone charger. According to the USB tester, i should have around 1.1 A, but the UT210E only read 0.005 A. Do you I got a lemon?  :palm: Or maybe i'm using it wrong?  :-//

Here is how i clamped the meter on the wire:
  • Leave the clamp meter next to the wire
  • Select DC current
  • Hit zero
  • Clamp the wire

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
« Reply #505 on: March 18, 2018, 11:29:55 pm »
Quote from: TangLoz
   .... Or maybe i'm using it wrong? ...
Correct :-)  You HAVE to separate the Pos and Neg (return) wires, and only clamp ONE of them !! Either one (usually).
You are reading a null field
Hello <tap> <tap> .. is this thing on?

The following users thanked this post: TangLoz

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #506 on: March 18, 2018, 11:33:10 pm »
After reading this great thread, i decided to buy a UT210E. However, my UT210E doesn't work properly. I'm not able to measure DC current from my cellphone charger. According to the USB tester, i should have around 1.1 A, but the UT210E only read 0.005 A. Do you I got a lemon?  :palm: Or maybe i'm using it wrong?  :-//

• Select DC current
  • Hit zero
  • Clamp the wire

You need to clamp only one wire out of the two wires going to the phone. Either the positive only wire, or the negative only wire will do it, and the UT210E will show the expected current of about 1.1A.

If you clamp _both_ the positive and the negative wire, like it is shown in the picture, then the magnetic field coming from the positive and negative USB charging wires will cancel each other, so you will ideally see zero Amps. The meter is actually measuring the magnetic field induced in the clamp's ferrite core.

In the picture, the measured current is 0.005 Amps, which is pretty close to the expected zero Amps.

The following users thanked this post: Marco1971, TangLoz

Offline TangLoz

« Reply #507 on: March 19, 2018, 12:19:10 am »
Thanks! I think it's time for me to do my homework  8)

Offline TangLoz

« Reply #508 on: March 19, 2018, 09:22:57 pm »
It is not the same. Look more carefully. The Extech has a 600 mA range for AC only (0.1 mA resolution) plus AC/DC 6 A and 60 A ranges.  The Uni-T has AC/DC 2 A (6 A with mods), 20 A (60 A with mods) and 100 A ranges.

The Extech looks like the Uni-t UT211b (same ranges, Hz function, 6000 counts), which is more expensive than the UT210E.

http://www.uni-trend.com/productsdetail.aspx?ProductsID=714&ProductsCateId=774&CateId=774

Offline AudioNoob

• Contributor
« Reply #509 on: March 24, 2018, 02:40:18 pm »
Is there a way to mod UT-210E so that the backlight does not shut off automatically? Or at least a way to increase the timeout?

Offline Martini

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #510 on: March 24, 2018, 03:45:16 pm »
Yes

...that's the point of the thread.

Offline AudioNoob

• Contributor
« Reply #511 on: March 24, 2018, 04:05:56 pm »
Yes
Thanks. Maybe one day I'll learn to use topic search before asking. It seems that it's only doable through firmware update which seems complicated, though. I would have preferred a simple one-wire solder job.
Still reading the relevant posts in reverse chronological order, hopefully there are detailed instructions somewhere.

Offline Martini

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #512 on: March 24, 2018, 04:27:37 pm »
You'll find instructions.

You do have to write in the EEPROM. I'm a bit lazy myself to do it but now that I have two DMM to do, I hope to get it done soon.

Offline AudioNoob

• Contributor
« Reply #513 on: March 24, 2018, 05:42:00 pm »
There is talk of using Arduino for modding the multimeter. Do I understand correctly that you can only read the current configuration with Arduino, but still need a dedicated piece of hardware to flash it back after editing?

Offline Martini

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #514 on: March 24, 2018, 06:18:55 pm »
Can't say I recall that. If that's the case (unlikely, though), that's a bummer.

Offline Kbird

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #515 on: March 24, 2018, 07:37:01 pm »
There is talk of using Arduino for modding the multimeter. Do I understand correctly that you can only read the current configuration with Arduino, but still need a dedicated piece of hardware to flash it back after editing?

NO the Arduino does both... Uno or Leonardo work , I have done my 210E and 139C ,( same Chip) both threads contain the how too with pics....

Page 8 I think is flywheelz mods....

and

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/uni-t-ut139c-lcd-biasing-(schematics-avail)/
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 07:45:38 pm by Kbird »
Uni-T UT-139C
Uni-T UT-210E                  Electronics Noob....
MC-52-0055-6

The following users thanked this post: AudioNoob, Marco1971

Offline AudioNoob

• Contributor
« Reply #516 on: March 24, 2018, 08:44:56 pm »
NO the Arduino does both... Uno or Leonardo work , I have done my 210E and 139C ,( same Chip) both threads contain the how too with pics....

Page 8 I think is flywheelz mods....

and

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/uni-t-ut139c-lcd-biasing-(schematics-avail)/
Thank you very much. My bad, I didn't notice the commented "writeByte()" lines in the Kerry Wong's sketch.
Now I'm only missing one last bit of the puzzle: which Arduino leads are to be connected to which pads on the 210E's circuit board. For the number of posts I've found on which EEPROM values control what, there's an incredible lack of info on how to actually access it.

Offline Kbird

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #517 on: March 24, 2018, 10:25:24 pm »
You apparently skip read  :)   ...all the info is in Flywheelz post along with Pics of the hookup..... The only thing you need to remember is to switch UT210E selector to any position except OFF.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/a-look-at-the-uni-t-ut210e/msg1034969/#msg1034969

However here are my notes I made from this thread and others, during the mod and some pics....

Uni-T UT-139C
MC-52-0055-6

The following users thanked this post: Kean, Marcos, Sredni, AudioNoob, Marco1971

Offline AudioNoob

• Contributor
« Reply #518 on: March 24, 2018, 10:30:07 pm »
You apparently skip read  :)
Not really, I've read that post and even skimmed through the video which demonstrates a different multimeter so not applicable here. But I have missed the tiny pic thumbnail in the end of the post which shows our UT210E. Yes indeed, that's it, thank you!
I have figured out SCL and SDA from 24C02A datasheet and Arduino Wire library description, but I would probably have missed the fact that I need to also ground the WP pin of the 24C02A.

And thanks for the notes, very nice and convenient summary!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 10:31:51 pm by AudioNoob »

Offline Kbird

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #519 on: March 24, 2018, 10:31:44 pm »
The Pics didn't upload so here they are....

they are in the Doc files above too though.

RESET PIN55 is very important ...it will read the eeprom but won't write it if this
isnt a connected properly to the CAP as shown ,
I just held a Dupont wire end onto the Cap while I did the Flash.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 10:35:48 pm by Kbird »
Uni-T UT-139C
MC-52-0055-6

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #520 on: March 24, 2018, 11:47:47 pm »

• Select DC current
  • Hit zero
  • Clamp the wire

The first thing I did with my UT210E was get a razor blade and cut into my phone charger cable. Draw out the red or black wire and then clamp around it. Null the meter while power is off then plug in charger and Bobs your Uncle!

Seriously good, the purported 1mA DC resolution is true.  :-+

Offline AudioNoob

• Contributor
« Reply #521 on: March 25, 2018, 12:16:36 pm »
However here are my notes I made from this thread and others, during the mod and some pics....

The image shows the following 24C02A header pinout, top to bottom: GND, SDA, SCL, WP(GND), VCC.
The notes say: GND, VCC, TEST, SCL, SDA. No matter how you look at it, these are different pinouts. Which one is correct? I connected Arduino Uno as the image says, and the chip does not respond (no data is read from I2C).
The power switch is on, the wiring had been quadruple-checked.

Here's the Arduino sketch (copied from Kerry Wong's blog post on modding UT139C). Is I2C_ADDR = 0x50 correct for UT210E?

Code: [Select]
#include <Wire.h>
constexpr int I2C_ADDR = 0x50;

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(115200);
  Wire.begin();

Serial.println(F("Dumping EEPROM..."));
  dumpEEPROM();
  Serial.println(F("Dumping complete."));
  //writeByte(I2C_ADDR, 0xFC, (byte) 0x1E); //Backlight time 30s
}

void loop() {}

void dumpEEPROM()
{
  for (int i = 0; i < 256; i++) {
    byte b = readByte(I2C_ADDR, i);
    Serial.print(b, HEX); Serial.print(F(" "));
    if ((i + 1) % 16 == 0) Serial.println();
  }
  Serial.println();
}

void writeByte(int i2cAddr, unsigned int addr, byte data) {
  Wire.beginTransmission(i2cAddr);
  Wire.write(addr);
  Wire.write(data);
  Wire.endTransmission();
}

byte readByte(int i2cAddr, unsigned int addr) {
  Wire.beginTransmission(i2cAddr);
  Wire.write(addr);
  Wire.endTransmission();
  Wire.requestFrom(i2cAddr, 1);
  while (!Wire.available());

return Wire.read();
}

P. S. I also held pin 55 connected to ground. At first I didn't do that because I was under impression that it's not required for reading the EEPROM (only writing), but apparently you do need to keep the main chip inactive for the I2C bus to remain free at all times. So I have tried connecting 55 to GND eventually, and still couldn't read the EEPROM.

This is what my setup looks like. As you can see, I'm not providing separate power to the main battery pads because no guide said that's strictly necessary (but they do say it's the better way to do it):
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 04:00:35 pm by AudioNoob »

Offline Kbird

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #522 on: March 25, 2018, 06:32:18 pm »
I did this a year ago so am a bit foggy on the exact method now but I used and modified Flywheelz Sketch provided in his post on page 8 , I'll zip mine and add it below....

Pics are right I believe , the Notes I made ( which i assume you are talking about? ) were all copy and pasted from different threads and I didn't back check them since.

I did not need to power the 210e Board , the Uno was enough , but you need good connections , I soldered Pins in for the dupont wires on both the 210e and 139c , there was room to leave them in for future mods I found if needed.

The 210e was way more finicky to get done than my 139c though .

Note that on some Cloned Uno and Leos that the SDA and SCL Pins are not connected properly ...I had this issue myself...the Pins next to AREF did not work but A4 and A5 did.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/uni-t-ut139c-lcd-biasing-(schematics-avail)/msg1165035/#msg1165035

http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=11473
Uni-T UT-139C
MC-52-0055-6

The following users thanked this post: AudioNoob

Offline AudioNoob

• Contributor
« Reply #523 on: March 25, 2018, 07:19:32 pm »
Aha! Despite quadruple-checking the connections, I ended up using pins 4 and 5 instead of A4 and A5. The Wire library docs specifically state that the correct pins on Arduino Uno are A4 and A5.

It's alive! IT'S ALIVE!!!!!

Offline Kbird

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #524 on: March 25, 2018, 07:31:54 pm »
:)  rushy rushy = mistakey mistakey  :)  my picture says A4 and A5 too :) 

glad you got it now.....

Uni-T UT-139C
MC-52-0055-6

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf