Author Topic: A look at the Uni-T UT210E  (Read 437368 times)

Offline flywheelz

• Regular Contributor
Re: A look at the Uni-T UT210E
« Reply #75 on: April 21, 2016, 09:10:21 pm »
I don't remember if there was a millivolt range in either DC or AC previously, but there is not now (0.000 V to 9.999 V is the lowest range). Can someone check?

There is mV in DC.

Offline flywheelz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #76 on: April 21, 2016, 09:26:14 pm »
As above, I lifted the front (pins 4-7) of the EEPROM a little, just enough to remove the solder bridging the pins to the board. Then I soldered 5 cm long wire-wrap wires (30 ga Kynar) to the leads, soldered those to a 5-pin socket. Then I use breadboard jumper wires from that socket to a 8-pin DIP machine pin socket placed in the TL866 ZIF. It's less complicated than it sounds.
I have not tried but here is what user alvadep wrote:
In regards to programming the EEPROM in this device. Everything is provided, there is a place for the installation of the connector, pitch is 2mm. The pinouts: GND, VCC, TEST, SCL, SDA. You can directly connect TEST to GND.  VCC taken directly from the programmer PICKIT2. The only thing you need to remember to switch UT210E selector to any position except OFF.

"UPDATE"

user kDnZP also wrote:
In addition to switching selector in any position other than Off,
My device had no pull-up resistor - took me about three hours, with attentive observation and trying to understand - what is not right.  I soldered an adapter for usbasp <-> clip (used SMD pull-up resistors , so to small to see).  So clip on a chip, selector switch in something other than OFF, and you can be read / write.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 10:28:38 pm by flywheelz »

The following users thanked this post: bitwelder, Macbeth, msliva

Offline flywheelz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #77 on: April 21, 2016, 10:00:02 pm »
As above, I lifted the front (pins 4-7) of the EEPROM a little, just enough to remove the solder bridging the pins to the board. Then I soldered 5 cm long wire-wrap wires (30 ga Kynar) to the leads, soldered those to a 5-pin socket. Then I use breadboard jumper wires from that socket to a 8-pin DIP machine pin socket placed in the TL866 ZIF. It's less complicated than it sounds. I reprogrammed the EEPROM with the Russian hacker's data deltas (as below) and ... boom! Well, no, no boom, just a 9999 count meter. The issue of 2000 counts on the 2 A range (only that one) when using ZERO remains unfortunately. Besides the 9999 counts, the other change is defaulting to DC for all volt and amp measurements.

AddrOLDNEW
10 70 10
11 17 27
12 98 0F
13 08 27
87 17 16
8B 19 18
8D 1B 1A
8E 04 03
97 16 17
9B 18 19
9D 1A 1B
9E 05 04
FC 0F 00

Note address FC is the backlight timeout, and 00 means do not time out (never turn off automatically). Otherwise, the value is in seconds. I set mine to 1E (30 seconds). Make sure to archive a copy of your unmodified EEPROM data.

I don't remember if there was a millivolt range in either DC or AC previously, but there is not now (0.000 V to 9.999 V is the lowest range). Can someone check?

Try 2 more changes below, by shaman1010.
With selector in V range order is: V(DC) - V(AC) - V(DC mV) - V(AC mV)

AE: 00 05
BE: 00 06

I tried to enable the frequency counter and temperature measurement - but they do not work.

In conclusion,  - these are the most mods that you can safely do to UT210E:
1) Selector on V, ranges: V (DC) - V (AC) - V (DC mV) - V (AC mV)
2) Selector on R, functions: resistance - connectivity- diode - capacity
3) Selector on 2A: A (DC) - A (AC)
4) Selector on 20A : A (DC) - A (AC)
5) Selector on 100A Switch: A (DC) - A (AC)
6) Change/Remove the Automatic backlight off
7) Extended range up to 10,000 counts. This means that up to 9,999 counts in any mode(including 2A) comes with three characters after the decimal point, then it switches range. The lower limit left as is, down to 1.90 will be two decimal, then switch range. Most of the time this allows more convenient to work with similar values, without changing the range.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 11:47:03 pm by flywheelz »

The following users thanked this post: bmdaly

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78 on: April 21, 2016, 10:06:14 pm »
As above, I lifted the front (pins 4-7) of the EEPROM a little, just enough to remove the solder bridging the pins to the board. Then I soldered 5 cm long wire-wrap wires (30 ga Kynar) to the leads, soldered those to a 5-pin socket. Then I use breadboard jumper wires from that socket to a 8-pin DIP machine pin socket placed in the TL866 ZIF. It's less complicated than it sounds.
In regards to programming the EEPROM in this device. Everything is provided, there is a place for the installation of the connector, pitch is 2mm. The pinouts: GND, VCC, TEST, SCL, SDA. You can directly connect TEST to GND.  VCC taken directly from the programmer PICKIT2. The only thing you need to remember to switch UT210E selector to any position except OFF.

"UPDATE"

user kDnZP also wrote:
My device had no pull-up resistor - took me about three hours, with attentive observation and trying to understand - what is not right.  I soldered an adapter for usbasp <-> clip (used SMD pull-up resistors , so to small to see).  So clip on a chip, selector switch in something other than OFF, and you can be read / write.
Excellent. Now could you please upload some pictures that we can actually see? If Dave's crappy forum limitation is stopping you, I highly recommend imgur.com - no signups, adverts, limits, or other nonsense.

The following users thanked this post: flywheelz

Offline flywheelz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #79 on: April 21, 2016, 10:33:59 pm »
Excellent. Now could you please upload some pictures that we can actually see? If Dave's crappy forum limitation is stopping you, I highly recommend imgur.com - no signups, adverts, limits, or other nonsense.

I am sorry, corrected the issue.  Be sure to check the post after pics as it has 2 more changes to eeprom.  Btw, I am just a messenger.  I have the 210e but have not tried to mod yet.

Offline flywheelz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #80 on: April 22, 2016, 01:11:17 am »
Attached eeprom datasheet with offsets descriptions, credits to alvadep.

Now you can calibrate to your heart's content  :-DMM

Example:
Addr 24H: 25H "base" (default 0064H - 10.0mV), in Addr 26H: 27H "resolution" (default 0096H - 15.0mV).  NCV has 5 levels (four dashes and EF symbol). The levels are calculated according to the formula LEVEL = (X - "base") / "resolution", where X - the input signal (AC, mV). The result is rounded to the nearest whole. For example, if the input signal is 50.0mV, then the level=(50.0 - 10.0) /15.0 = 2.666 ... is rounded to 2, which corresponds to "-". If less than 1, then 'EF" is displayed.
With this Information you can fine tune the NCV function.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 01:28:03 am by flywheelz »

The following users thanked this post: bitwelder, mimi123, Marcos, ddrulez

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81 on: April 22, 2016, 03:22:17 am »
Advice to self, double check your edits....

I tried what the Russians had posted including the last part.  The meter does indeed power up in DC volts and amps now.  Very nice.  It also now has 10K counts but in the DC 2A range with zero active, it still reverts to 2000 count.  So the last change they came up with did not address this.  Without zero active, I do get 10K counts in the 2A range.   

Also, just tried another quick test.  At least in AC 100A range, it still limits at 100A. 

Just a side note about the programming.  I am using my old AllMax+ programmer with a chip clip to program mine in-circuit with no changes to the meter.  Yea, I know it looks like a mess but it works fine.   Just install the clip and go.   I would assume most universal programmers would work this way but maybe not. 

« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 03:29:50 am by joeqsmith »

The following users thanked this post: mimi123, Marck

Offline flywheelz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #82 on: April 22, 2016, 04:26:06 am »

Also, just tried another quick test.  At least in AC 100A range, it still limits at 100A. 

For current limit, I am thinking perhaps Address 1C: 0Ah could be a multiple of 10 upper 100A limit?  What do you think?

The following users thanked this post: mimi123

Offline mimi123

• Contributor
« Reply #83 on: April 22, 2016, 07:53:11 am »

For current limit, I am thinking perhaps Address 1C: 0Ah could be a multiple of 10 upper 100A limit?  What do you think?

Data sheet says "1CH 0AH A range warning current 10A (unit A)"
If you don't have it's at Kerry Wong site, http://www.kerrywong.com/2016/04/03/dtm0660-datasheet-translated/

You can change to upper or lower value and see if it works.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84 on: April 22, 2016, 12:41:09 pm »
I might have to get me one of these.   :popcorn:

Offline macboy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85 on: April 22, 2016, 12:50:57 pm »

"UPDATE"

user kDnZP also wrote:
Hmm. Maybe the pullups of the Bus Pirate (10 K + a CD4066 switch) were not strong enough. I'll try re-programming at the 5 pin connector again with the TL866 as a programmer. I had wanted to use the BP since it can write single bytes, but the TL866 can only write the entire device. In the end I used the TL866 anyway.

Offline hugatry

• Contributor
« Reply #86 on: April 24, 2016, 12:44:02 pm »
First of all, thanks to everyone for all the information and inspiration shared so far!  :-+

Following information is about modifying features of you meter. Take backup of eeprom's content if you are going to modify it's content. You are doing possible modifications at your own risk!

There has been some talk about reordering the modes, for example to make DCA come before ACA. Unless I've missed a post or few, there hasn't been English information about what those bytes actually mean and how to possibly make other similar changes.
Knowing what bytes need to be swapped to swap places of DC and AC modes is nice, but wouldn't it be great to have information how to reorder the modes the way YOU want (within some limitations)?

For quick reference, check out first attachment  image to see where modes of each selector switch are being set and second attachment to see what the bytes on those locations mean. Second attachment also mentions some jumpers... You can switch places of modes only if they have same set of jumpers mentioned.

The longer explanation:
Chinese datasheet of DTM0660L (Here's a link to that datasheet in PDF format. Link was shared by user Puomjw on the thread of Russian forum that has been discussed earlier.) explains the EEPROM content at 0x80 - 0xBF, which is where order of the modes is set. Least significant nibble of address on that area represents the selector switch position and most significant nibble represents the mode selectable by Select-button.
For example bytes in locations 0x8F, 0x9F, 0xAF and 0xBF set all four modes of one specific selector switch position. 0x8F contains default mode, pressing the Select-button cycles between that and the modes set in 0x9F, 0xAF and 0xBF. See the first attached image for clarification.

UT210E's eeprom has 0x07, 0x09, 0x0A and 0x0B in those four locations that were mentioned as an example. The datasheet has a chart (Section 11.3 in the datasheet I linked in this post, also in second attachment of this post) which tells what modes each of the bytes represents.
Comparing those bytes from eeprom to the chart on datasheet: 0x07 = Resistance, 0x09 = Continuity, 0x0A = Diode and 0x0B = Capacitance. Looking at the UT210E, there surely is a selector switch position which has resistance, continuity, diode and capacitance modes. So, now we know which four byte section sets modes of that selector switch position. Doing similar comparisons to rest of the four byte sections on that 0x80-0xBF area of UT210E's eeprom results this:

LocationsSelector switch position
0x87, 0x97, 0xA7 and 0xB72A
0x8B, 0x9B, 0xAB and 0xBB20A
0x8C, 0x9C, 0xAC and 0xBCNCV
0x8D, 0x9D, 0xAD and 0xBD100A
0x8E, 0x9E, 0xAE and 0xBEVolts
0x8F, 0x9F, 0xAF and 0xBFResistance/Continuity/Diode/Capacitance
Rest of the four byte sections include only 0x00 and aren't used (not selectable with selector switch).

Limitations
There are some things that limit the possible modifications you can do to order of the modes: In second attachment there is column with jumper names: J1A, J5 etc. Selector switch also shorts or opens these jumpers, modifying the way input signal travels inside the meter.
You can only replace a mode with another one, if that new mode has exact same set of jumpers mentioned, as the old one. For an example: Looking at second attachment, you can move continuity before resistance, but you cannot replace NCV with continuity.

There aren't too many things one can do, but I hope this helps!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 12:46:18 pm by hugatry »

The following users thanked this post: macboy, dagobird, Macbeth, joeqsmith, mimi123, Marcos, flywheelz, bmdaly

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87 on: April 24, 2016, 08:15:13 pm »
Someone had commented on my UT210E video about the CP06 clamp.   I was looking at the datasheet for it and they state "Noise:10mA" but they do not provide any details about what this means.  I was curious what the UT210E looked like.

The UT210E with a buffer will output 100uV/mA.   My DSO with a 1X probe is able to read with a 2mV/div but without a lot of filtering, there is a fair amount of noise.  To see down this low, I gained up the signal by 100x.   

In the first attached plot, I have my signal generator connected to a 40dB attenuator.  The output was set to 1KHz @ 100mvpp.  The yellow trace is the attenuated waveform.   At 2mV/div we can see about a half division.   The pink trace shows the output from the amplifier or 100X.   

The second plot I have changed the scale to 20mV/div. SNR is good. 

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88 on: April 24, 2016, 08:40:52 pm »
Next I attached the UT210E.   I left the signal generator on as a reference but it has nothing to do with the data being collected.  The second plots, I turned on the UT210E with nothing inside the clamp. About 2mV p-p or 20mA p-p.   The noise appears random, so easy enough to knock it down.   

Keep in mind, the meter reads 1mA without a problem.   

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89 on: April 25, 2016, 12:45:03 am »
Setting the signal generator to 1Vp-p 100Hz and using my 50 ohm current loop, should provide 7.07mA.   The UT210E would put out 707uV for this case.  Using the 100X gain amplifier, I should see roughly 70mV.

The data was taken with 3-bits ERES and 20MHz LP.  I then doubled the data to see the effect.   It appears that with the buffer added, you could detect a 7mA signal without any problem.  You would really want to make some sort of switchable pre-amp to allow the maximum dynamic range. 

It may be a UNI-T but having it default to DC, increasing the resolution and adding an analog output, it's not bad for $40.   

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90 on: April 27, 2016, 01:51:20 am »
One last attempt at looking at currents from the UT210E.    This time the signal generator is set to 100mVp-p @ 1KHz, again driving the 50 ohm loop.   So 707uA into the clamp, and 71uV out the monitor port.   I cobbled up a slightly better amplifier to run this test.  It is selectable for 20, 40 and 60dB of gain.   Well over 100KHz of BW.  Good enough for the UT210E.   

First picture showing the setup.  UT210E is set to AC current.  Sub 1mA so it is displaying 0.   Junk amplifier in foreground using a Golden Power battery from one of the many damaged meters. 

2nd and 3rd are just closeups of the amp and loop.  Using a quad LT1058C DIP I had stuck to some perf board and all surface mount parts.   I can get a couple of volts p-p with this amp using a 6V supply.   One amp sets the reference, the other are 10X gain stages.  Rotary switch selects the gain.   It draws about 6.57mA.   Not great but good enough for this experiment.   

4th picture showing the output voltage from the signal generator vs the 1000x gained signal from the UT210E.  Obviously out of phase. 100 sweeps, 3-bits ERES, 20MHz LP.   It squeaks out 76mV.     

Looks like the information is there buried in the noise. 

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91 on: April 27, 2016, 06:10:03 pm »
Alignment....

I was comparing a second UT210E against my original one and ended up magnetizing them both by accident.   Once again degauss took care of it, but then I noticed that the non-zeroed numbers between the two meters was way off depending how I positioned the two meters.  Sitting in a chair with the two meters side by side then rotating 360 degrees, one meter (virgin) held the DC current in less than 20mA.   The one I modified was over 100mA! 

Earlier I mentioned that the pot nearest the clamp head was an offset trim.  This is wrong!!!!  It seems to be a null and is very touchy.  I moved it slightly, then rotated 360 degrees and observed the DC current reading on the lowest range.  I repeated this process until this meter had less than 10mA of variance.     But the offset was now way out.  As it turns out, the pot furthest away from the clamp head is the offset trim.  Again, this thing is VERY touchy.  I was able to get this meter much tighter than the virgin one.   

However,  I then clamped both meters onto a cable and compared them with my handheld.  Like magic, I get three different readings.  One clamp is a little lower and one a little higher than the handheld meter I used. 

Looking at the translated data sheet, they have what they call a range calibration adjustment ratio.   I would assume this is the gain.  They show a calibration procedure but I wonder if this is something I would manually have to program into the EPROM. 

The following users thanked this post: mimi123, thisguy

Offline macboy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92 on: April 28, 2016, 02:05:12 pm »
I spent a little time playing with modifying the EEPROM.

First, a comment about setting up 9999 counts. This absolutely works fine for DCV and resistance measurements. For ACV (or ACA), there is an issue. The problem is caused by the fact that this meter uses fast sampling and DSP to calculate the RMS value of an AC input, rather than using the traditional approach of an RMS-to-DC converter (e.g. AD637). The peak value of a sine wave is 1.414 the RMS value. So to get an RMS reading on the meter of say 9.999 VAC, the meter needs to sample instantaneous voltages up to 14.141 V. It can't. The ADC tops out at roughly 12000 counts. This means that, for AC, the maximum displayed counts should be limited to around 8000 count. This allows enough headroom in the ADC to sample the peaks of sine waves (and clipped sine waves which you will likely see on AC mains). Still, any waveform with a higher crest factor may show a RMS reading below actual, when the reading is reaching the top of a range.  A workaround might have been to manually range higher, but this meter has no range button, so you can't do that. All this was to say that I recommend leaving the maximum counts to 8000 or less.

I have also used what I learned here (big thanks to hugatry) to modify another DTM0660-based meter that I own. On that meter I added a mV range with high impedance input.

Offline et328

• Contributor
« Reply #93 on: May 06, 2016, 05:01:49 am »
All this was to say that I recommend leaving the maximum counts to 8000 or less.

What values I should change/use to get the 8000 count setting? I'm a "little" confused with those 10-13 location values...

Btw. I used a cheap CH341A programmer and test clips from eBay, programming worked just fine. Only needed to turn meter's mode switch to voltage position, didn't work in the off position.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #94 on: May 06, 2016, 05:13:01 am »
Cool. Which clips did you get for that?
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline et328

• Contributor
« Reply #95 on: May 06, 2016, 05:24:03 am »
Cool. Which clips did you get for that?

Got both from the same seller, programmer:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/252228485325
Clips:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/252135254293

Programming software I found from the Russian thread that was linked earlier here, the eBay seller didn't ship the software.

The following users thanked this post: WhichEnt2

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #96 on: May 06, 2016, 05:07:48 pm »
Thanks, et328. I have a TL866, so the adapter board should fit in that ZIF socket like it does on the CH341 programmer you got.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline flywheelz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #97 on: May 06, 2016, 06:34:34 pm »
All this was to say that I recommend leaving the maximum counts to 8000 or less.

What values I should change/use to get the 8000 count setting? I'm a "little" confused with those 10-13 location values...

Btw. I used a cheap CH341A programmer and test clips from eBay, programming worked just fine. Only needed to turn meter's mode switch to voltage position, didn't work in the off position.

Hi,  I will try to add some info.

From datasheet:
Code: [Select]
10H, 11H 1770H Default full range 6000d (10H stores low byte 70H, 11H stores high byte 17H)
same low byte/high byte arrangement below
12H, 13H 1838H Range switch upper limit 6200d (for full range of 4000d the upper limit is 4200d)

First you need to convert 8000 decimal to hex.  Using Windows Calculator in programmer mode, Make sure radio button is on Dec.  Type 8000 then flip to Hex and you get 1F40.

In the Eeprom the data is reversed (Little Endian) so you want to write it as 401F. 

Offset           0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7   8  9  A  B  C  D  E  F

00000000   FF FF FF FF FF 00 80 E8  03 E8 03 FA 00 00 BE 03   ÿÿÿÿÿ €è è ú  ¾
00000010  40 1F 40 1F BE 00 3D 3D  3C 3C FF FF 0A FF 40 FF   @ @ ¾ ==<<ÿÿ ÿ@ÿ
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 06:37:36 pm by flywheelz »

Offline et328

• Contributor
« Reply #98 on: May 07, 2016, 06:29:47 am »

First you need to convert 8000 decimal to hex.  Using Windows Calculator in programmer mode, Make sure radio button is on Dec.  Type 8000 then flip to Hex and you get 1F40.

Should the range upper switch limit be 8000 or 8200? In the datasheet both examples use +200 values for it.  I don't understand what those values actually do, why they use +200 values and where this range switch of 8000 (or 8200) goes into effect. I guess I'll have to do few tests...

Offline frogblender

• Regular Contributor
Re: A look at the Uni-T UT210E: WHERE TO BUY?
« Reply #99 on: May 10, 2016, 02:29:27 pm »
Prices (US$) seem to range:

Gearbest.com:  $32
ebay:  ~ $35
dx.com: $38
amazon.com prime:  $38

anyone else?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf