Author Topic: ADF4350 & ADF4351 based Oled RF Source Generators  (Read 6409 times)

Offline beanflyingTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
ADF4350 & ADF4351 based Oled RF Source Generators
« on: January 10, 2019, 07:44:47 am »
After having a trawl around here for information on the Oled Screened version of the ADF 4350 or ADF 4351 available on Aliexpress or Ebay I came up with only bits and pieces of information and a few snippets of possible code to drive or even sweep it.

I have only just cracked mine open this afternoon for a first look and run some lower frequencies (140-300MHz) into my 100MHz Micsig scope to see how the wave looked. Screen Captures below but take them with a grain of salt as they are clearly outside the range of the Micsig but the shape is fairly reasonable.

Driving it from the front panel is fairly easy even without any instructions and seems to work as claimed from +10dBm to-50dBm and a bit over 130MHz to 4.4GHz (ADF4350 variant). Apart from quickly putting it on a Frequency counter I haven't really tested it properly at the higher end and a SA is on my list for this years toys. I will drop over to a mates place and have a play with his and a much higher frequency Scope in the next few weeks.

So Questions to others.

1 Existing Software or software links to drive or sweep it?
2 Anyone got any SA data on what the waveform looks like as far as harmonics or spurs?

Initial thoughts are it is not to badly made and does what it claims for a low price. Switchmode Plug pack is in the bin and replaced by an old transformer based one.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 07:57:02 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: beampower

Offline Aiy

• Regular Contributor
Re: ADF4350 & ADF4351 based Oled RF Source Generators
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 03:38:18 pm »
I see that your processor still has the markings (the STC component)

Can you get the exact model or a vertical closeup of the processor?

If we get that we might have a chance to make code for it ourselves

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 03:53:58 pm »
Is that can crystal the source of its reference signal? (If so, ughhhh...) Is there a way to use a higher quality external reference signal?

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 03:56:15 pm »
I assume that's only for the STC micro.

The following users thanked this post: cdev

Offline RoadRunner

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 05:10:44 pm »
A little while ago i made my self a little hardware to Sweep and few other tricks with AD4351 , i have written software in QT.
there also a little video attached , where i am looking with mySpectrum analyzer, you can see in video there is quite a bit harmonics.

Looks like MCU in your unit is doing all the frequency calculation, and if i am right then i see a chip near to usb with 12Mhz crytal, which may be doing just usb to serial conversion. this device may be detected as com port. you can just rewrite firmware for this MCU or find out serial communication format some how.
 With my QT application i do all the calculation at PC side and only trasmit AD4351 Resistor hex value over USB HID protocol.

i have made an comment a while another post here.
i have also made my self a crude Signal source based on AD4351. this seems be really nice candidate but goes only down to 35Mhz. it is an USB based hardware with PC application running in QT 5. i am using raw hid packages to transmit register information from. with HID raw you can send new regsiter configuration at 1ms interval.

At the lower frequency from 35 to 500Mhz i have seen signal is not very clean,  there are lot of harmonics . i am not a rf person may be because of high signal output level.

https://www.circuitvalley.com/2018/07/diy-4ghz-rf-signal-generator-ad4351-usb-qt5-linux-3Ghz.html
i also posted a crude qulity youtube video showing sweep and hop

« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 05:16:34 pm by RoadRunner »

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 11:21:00 pm »
A bit more time today so off with the covers and cans. I will leave those of you with more RF knowledge than me to speculate what the scrubbed chips might be :--

12Meg Xtal will be for the STC and it runs a 340 USB chip that Windoze10 hooks up to. I will get around to having a play with Putty in a bit with some information @Aiy put in this thread from a while ago https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/help-with-software-for-adf4351-signal-source/msg1325451/#msg1325451

20Mhz TCXO is what is feeding the 4350 which can be programmed to take inputs from 10-250Mhz via an internal divider. So adapting this board providing the 4350 can be sent the changes could be fed with a 10Mhz external in or even a better quality 20MHz feed.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 11:24:07 pm by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 12:30:48 am »
I will leave those of you with more RF knowledge than me to speculate what the scrubbed chips might be :--

Look like 2 Digital Step Attenuators and a Amplifier at the end just before the coax.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 02:11:18 am »
Very similar to the one I got, bean. For some reason, I thought you got the 4351. The font on the top of the enclosure on mine is more cramped, but it has 137.5MHz instead of LF. Interesting.

I see someone likes bendy traces on that PCB.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 02:17:31 am »
In hind site I should have looked a bit more before pushing the evilbay button and got the 4351. It did complete the excuse to buy a new Siglent Arb Generator to cover the gap however  :-DD
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 03:17:28 am by beanflying »

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 03:13:09 am »
A-ha. A gap that I still have. Hmmm.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2019, 09:41:03 am »
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 11:23:58 am by beanflying »

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2019, 04:42:26 am »
Interesting. So, GM8BJF's method might enable use of AD's software with our generators (probably using direct USB-to-TTL on the PCB rather than the onboard USB).

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2019, 05:29:28 am »
Maybe if it can be made work. The other option is to cut the STC out of the loop and use one of the Arduino based alternates as the code is more readily available (also suits me with one less IDE to learn).

There is some traces heading to the Attenuators and Amplifier which may be an issue due to the lack of part numbers unless they can be sniffed and work out what they are getting from the STC?

The Chip btw in case anyone is interested and cant make out the photo STC 15L2K60S2 (3V) here is a link to the 887 Page manual  :o http://www.stcmicro.com/datasheet/STC15F2K60S2-en.pdf and the IDE/Software page http://www.stcmicro.com/rjxz.html

This isn't a priority for me as the front buttons will do what I need but being able to sweep the output and similar would be handy extras if it can be sorted.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2019, 12:09:49 am »
We have a winner for devices software.  :-+ My ADF had a small crack on the front plastic fascia and I have had a evilbay case running to 'resolve' it. As part of this I had included the lack of software and could they provide me with it (wasn't included in the description). Net result I got a few $ back to buy a beer and the link to an anonymous download (as they tend to do) web page.

Rather than risk it being lost or changed I have re uploaded to my google drive (50Mb) here https://drive.google.com/file/d/1P0UuyIaOWkd2SuybAyi6DiOgxmsLj_ZC/view?usp=sharing

What it does is give basic functionality over the ADF4350 and 4351 via USB as per the screen shot. Anyone with more programming smarts than me want to take a look at the software to see how hackable it might be?

Putting the covers back on mine for now.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2019, 06:18:32 am »
Thanks, bean. I took a stab at translating the document and, in the process, ran across many discrepancies with regard to the command formats, the number of bytes in some of the w commands, and exactly what they represent. Also, I didn't see anything about the c command(s).

If you have a chance to try it out, let me know of any corrections to my version of the docs. I need to toddle off to bed.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 06:20:04 am by bitseeker »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2019, 06:23:18 am »
Had a bit of a look at what it installed on my PC. Seems a chunk of the download above was .Net and most likely looking at the files C++ as well.

It installed these three files I have zipped up AFTER RENAMING THEM so don't try and use them as it won't work.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2019, 04:24:16 am »
Doing some casual playing with this Generator and one of my other recent Toys. I had been running the Siglent SDG2042X against my GPSDO for a few hours to look at it's internal oscillator for similar deviation and accuracy. Standard deviation was about 0.003 PPM and sitting just on -0.67PPM low.

As it has some nice easy to use Stats on the built in Frequency counter I hooked up the ADF4350 @ 200MHz (Siglent Max) to it to see how it was for a better idea of accuracy with the stock TCXO input to the ADF and overall stability.

Seems mine sits a little low as per the photo below but is sitting rock solid for stability. I had it switched on for about 30 minutes before I started this log BTW. Time to tweak the Siglent :) EDIT Re Calibrated the Siglent (now -0.05ppm) ADF 4350 output is at 199.99990 or -0.48PPM

Not intended to be a Lab Grade look but a reasonably stable source.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 04:53:56 am by beanflying »

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2019, 05:41:57 pm »
Wow, I didn't expect half a ppm for the ADF4350 gen. Nice.

Offline beampower

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2021, 10:10:14 pm »
Did you have any luck finding a spec sheet or some basic instructions?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2021, 09:22:08 am »
Did you have any luck finding a spec sheet or some basic instructions?

Other than what is above no. Chunks of this year have been a write off but I did just get a 500Meg Scope so I was going to plug mine back into the front end for a play hopefully over the weekend.

Online Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2021, 01:22:31 pm »
Why not buy a cheap LTDZ device on AliExpress or Banggood and run it with my software?

More info on my signature...

Cheers,
Vitor

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf