Author Topic: Agilent 54600 Series Quiet Fan Replacement?  (Read 1692 times)

Offline wirewrapTopic starter

Agilent 54600 Series Quiet Fan Replacement?
« on: December 16, 2017, 04:27:13 pm »
I have had my Agilent 54622D scope for over a year now and Im just about able to stand the sound of the thing, however as I am trying to mod my 66312A to be more quiet I thought I would go down the same route with this.

The scope uses an 80mm Panaflo 12V fan with some rather high specs (high RPM and very high static pressure).

So in a similar vain to my PSU, I am wondering of I can replace this noisy clunky fan with something considerably more quiet.

I am considering using a noctua 80mm fan as a reliable replacement, however even their most powerful models of that size only have half the static pressure.

With the PSU I can guess pretty easily what it will need, its just a big hunk of metal cooling about 40W, but with the scope its a lot more complex, with a huge mainboard to cool (AFAIK the megazoom ASICs get very hot) so I am less confident.

Has anyone else had success with this?
Thank you

Offline dazz1

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Agilent 54600 Series Quiet Fan Replacement?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2023, 06:48:45 am »
Hi
I replaced the factory fan with a Noctua NF-A8 FLX.
What a difference.  Definitely worth the trouble.  The fan is now just a quiet murmur. 

This is how I fitted it.
The Noctua box includes a 3 pin connector socket adapter that fits the plug on the fan.  At the other end is an old fashioned Molex 4 pin connector, for 12V.
I cut off the Molex connector.
I disconnected the factory cable for the factory fan.  The HP PCB end includes a 2-pin connector with IDC pins.  I prized off the wires from the pins to leave a bare connector.
I then carefully fitted the two wires from the Noctua cable (that had the Molex connector cut off).
The result was a short adapter cable (~2cm) that had the HP 2-pin pcb connector and the 3-pin fan socket.
Now the Noctua fan plugs directly into the short adapter cable.

The fan was a perfect fit.  I used M4x12 screws, finger tight with lock-tite applied. 

This all worked perfectly. 

In order to compensate for the reduced fan flow, I am considering 3D printing 5mm risers to place under the feet of the HP54645 scope to increase the gap for air flow.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2023, 09:36:47 pm by dazz1 »
Dazz

Over Engineering: Why make something simple when you can make it really complicated AND get it to work?

The following users thanked this post: PlaneSailing

Offline dazz1

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2023, 05:01:19 am »
Hi
OK so I went ahead and made two spacer feet that simply slide over the factory molded front feet and lock in place.  The feet lift the scope a few millimeters to increase the space for exhaust cooling air to escape.  The only exit for cooling air is a grill in the base of the enclosure.

As always, I try and make my mods look like they are factory made. The new feet are close to the factory colour so it is not obvious the feet are fitted.  No screws, no holes, no modifications to the enclosure and all completely reversible. 

I included a shallow relief for gluing on a piece of rubber roofing material.    The rubber will provide some extra grip and reduce noise transmission by at least a few femtodecibles. 

Just in case someone wants to do the same mod, I have also attached the 3D file of the design.   I printed with PETG. 

On a scale from brilliant to useless, this mod definitely leans to the useless side, but I got to design and make something.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2023, 08:54:22 am by dazz1 »
Dazz

Over Engineering: Why make something simple when you can make it really complicated AND get it to work?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2023, 07:36:14 am »
Hi
OK so I went ahead and made two spacer feet that simply slide over the factory molded front feet and lock in place.  The feet lift the scope a few millimeters to increase the space for exhaust cooling air to escape.  The only exit for cooling air is a grill in the base of the enclosure.

As always, I try and make my mods look like they are factory made. The new feet are close to the factory colour so it is not obvious the feet are fitted.  No screws, no holes, no modifications to the enclosure and all completely reversible. 

I included a shallow relief for gluing on a piece of rubber roofing material.    The rubber will provide some extra grip and reduce noise transmission by at least a few femtodecibles. 

Just in case someone wants to do the same mod, I have also attached the 3D file of the design.  I had to add .jpg file extension to post it onto the forum.  Just remove this.

On a scale from brilliant to useless, this mod definitely leans to the useless side, but I got to design and make something.
Dazz, pop a post here so your work is not lost in time to come:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/replacement-knobs-feet-and-fittings-for-test-equipment/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline dazz1

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2023, 08:28:22 am »
Dazz

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline Ricotjuh

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2023, 04:20:32 pm »
Thanks for the clear explanation. I followed your steps and it works perfectly. I did have to file away some of the plastic. Otherwise I could not screw the fan properly onto the mounting points. But other than that it works perfectly.  :-+
« Last Edit: December 21, 2023, 04:29:08 pm by Ricotjuh »

The following users thanked this post: dazz1

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf