Author Topic: Agilent 54835A scope (4 channel 1GHz / 4Gs/s) repair & uphack  (Read 96617 times)

Offline INFINIUM

• Contributor
  • chip maker with AMAT
Re: Agilent 54835A scope (4 channel 1GHz / 4Gs/s) repair & uphack
« Reply #250 on: November 14, 2018, 01:46:28 pm »
The connectors that I am investigating. 

Offline INFINIUM

• Contributor
  • chip maker with AMAT
« Reply #251 on: November 16, 2018, 02:35:42 pm »
https://www.circuitsonline.net/forum/view/94488/25
Here there are people  and in English photos : the most beautiful apparatus in my collection In Netherlands!
there are apparatus inside and outside beautiful and more with the red green display ON .
Nice people keeping care of the  :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :-BROKE :-BROKE :-BROKE

Online analogRF

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #252 on: November 16, 2018, 02:41:59 pm »
Thanks ,
the OSD  was abandoned more than 15 years, almost now dead :'( in 2000 it was OK.
First  the CMOS ERROR asked me the bios FLOPPY  , last month..
I change the video card battery that was  with 3 Vols.
nothing  the same error , next week started to suddenly stop and start ,intermittent ..
now does not start at all  , the service manual said , put the resistor to inhibit the Power supply and replace it if does not start.
I guess is true   , trying to replace the PS , but there are to many signals in the control connector , I am busy in a small garage with cars ,etc. and I need the schematics to prevent putting wrong voltages in sensible circuits. :bullshit: :-BROKE :-/O.

could you explain what exactly happens when you push the power button?

Offline INFINIUM

• Contributor
  • chip maker with AMAT
« Reply #253 on: November 18, 2018, 09:48:32 am »
When I push the On buttom the front relay  made a noise , the +15 volts  inhibit voltage change like the service manual said or going lower.    The PS gives only 15v for the starting inhibit circuit , nothing more now,
this 15 volts is only for the starting PS , is explain here in POWER SUPPLY WONT POWER ON  search
The signal to start is going in series with the PCB or cards that means that one is disconected is imposible to start the PC OSD ,
To test better the PS  the service manual said to put a 200 ohms  in the small connector PS  white cables  simulating the PC  and if the PS does not start to give the 5vols 12 v plus and minus  replace the power supply PS.
When I put the resistor the same I heard the relay click but any   ps voltages out , the H Voltage dc in the PS is present but later this 250 volts is not converted in 12 -5  volts is very difficult to check the vertical card in the PS ,somebody here  in the link  PS WONT POWER ON  put a 5 volts power supply extra in the original PS Connector and start the OSD like the cars in batery failure!
the PS vertical control card has to many components condensers chips, transistors, difficult to repair ,nothing is burnt  :rant:
the modele is HP54845A  Windows 95 ,
also in the Service manual said to check the resistencia to ground in the OSD , it seems ok.
I Have one PS from the old PC  chinese that gives all the voltages when one start cable is connected to ground ,only problem s  is the power only 200 wats ..and the conexion like a heart transplant :phew:
there are tips here for others hp  PS models  : the resistor x  330k , the fuse resistor in the power transistor , nothing for this PS ,
in resume I need to buy an expensive old PS , Change the condensers etc or  put a new PS WITH NOT MISTAKES!
Thanks

Online nctnicoTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #254 on: November 18, 2018, 10:25:15 am »
Did you check for shorts in the rest of the oscilloscope? Did you already try to disconnect only the acquisition board and then power on? Maybe the PSU is just fine but there is a short circuit somewhere else which makes the PSU shut down again.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline INFINIUM

• Contributor
  • chip maker with AMAT

Offline johnwb80

« Reply #256 on: March 07, 2019, 09:27:57 pm »
Did you ever figure out how to get it into the higher sample mode(resistor switches)? I have one of these and would be cool to max it out? Could there be one that needs to be removed to make it the higher model?

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #257 on: March 07, 2019, 10:04:19 pm »
You can uphack the 54835A to a 54845A. It is in the first post on page 1.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline johnwb80

« Reply #258 on: March 07, 2019, 11:18:39 pm »
To goto 54846A (2.25GHz / 8Gs/s) mode. I didn't see that setup for the resistors anywhere.

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #259 on: March 07, 2019, 11:54:49 pm »
I tried all combinations (I think) but it seems the 54846A needs different attenuators.

Offline Converter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #260 on: March 08, 2019, 12:01:44 am »
To goto 54846A (2.25GHz / 8Gs/s) mode. I didn't see that setup for the resistors anywhere.
I recommend you look at page 7 of this thread.
The trigger does not work stably at a frequency of more than 1.2 GHz, even if you expand the bandwidth of its inputs to 2.2 GHz.
It makes much more sense to try to upgrade the drivers to allow the installation of Win2K or WinXP here.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 01:07:50 am by Converter »

Offline johnwb80

« Reply #261 on: March 08, 2019, 02:52:21 am »
sounds good thanks. I have the 54845A. I've put more memory in it and was looking for other mods. Probably will do the cpu swap I noticed on the 1st page, max the memory out, find quiet fans, Find a ide ssd hd for it probably at some point. It has the contractor for the attenuator have exceeded their expected life time notice but all 4 channels seem good so far. has anyone on here swapped out the contactors on the attenuator boards for this scope?

Offline Converter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #262 on: March 08, 2019, 03:20:04 am »
I have only these photos. Unfortunately, there is no marking.
I see 3 different relays there.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 02:11:28 pm by Converter »

The following users thanked this post: analogRF

Online analogRF

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #263 on: March 08, 2019, 03:23:58 am »
I have only these photos. Unfortunately, there is no marking.
I see 3 different relays there.

so the attenuator contact counter keeps the record for which of these relays?
K2 to K4 or the white plastic relay?

Offline johnwb80

« Reply #264 on: March 08, 2019, 07:52:46 am »
I found it on one of the schematics. They're something like $60-80/ea and there's one for each ch that needs to be replaced. (from what I've read)
Looks like the contactor is the one for selecting input resistance (50 Ω or 1 MΩ) the other 2 are selectable attenuators. I'll probably swap out all 3 components with contacts on all 4 channels. I think k2 and k6 are the ones it's counting. They look similar to the  Series A150 ultraminiature Attenuator Relays. Has anyone seen a part number on any of the 6 metal can relays?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 12:37:16 am by johnwb80 »

Offline alpher

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #265 on: March 21, 2019, 01:41:14 pm »
My motherboard is the original VA503-A Super Socket 7 motherboard but I now realise that you must have changed the motherboard.
Yes, as I wrote in this thread, I installed the ZIDA TomatoBoard ZX98-CT motherboard (for Socket 370) and it was immediately successful with the HP54845A (with the Coppermine processor). It took only a little effort to translate it into a Tualatin processor. These Baby-AT motherboards today are very cheap, so it makes sense to buy and install them. I buy them in my region for only $4-6.
I also got the motherboard PC Partner BSBS3-T871B http://support.pcpartner.com/support/bios/i810.htm (see attached photo). It has a newer intel® 810 series chipsets. This is better than chipset Intel 443BX/ZX in that it supports IDE Ultra DMA4-66 (and not only DMA2-33).

Hi , could you explain how exactly did you install the HP software on it?
Let's say that I've replaced motherboard, installed a fresh copy of windows98 on it, how do I get to install the HP scope software and drivers.
Can they somehow be extracted from the recovery image that's on the net?

Offline Converter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #266 on: March 21, 2019, 03:35:21 pm »
Hello alpher,

Programs can be installed using the file manager - "Explorer", which is located under the "Start" button. Just add a keyboard and mouse. In the same place you can find access to system functions.
If necessary, close Agilent program "CTRL" + "F4".

How to activate the desktop Windows I wrote in this post:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/agilent-54835a-scope-(4-channel-1ghz-4gss)-repair-uphack/msg1385393/#msg1385393
But it seemed to me that no one expressed interest in this information.

Offline alpher

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #267 on: March 21, 2019, 05:50:49 pm »
Hi Converter, thatks for replying.
I've allready installed a fresh copy of windows 98 on a fresh CF card, have keyboard and mouse hooked up, as well as CD drive.
No problems accesing file manager at all since this is a standard retail version of win98,.
My question was, how do I install HP scope software ?
Maybe not so much how, more how to get the instal files, how do you extract them from the recovery image?
Or I'm I completely wrong here and you have to start from original HP recovery image?
Will it install properly on a completely different motherboard (810 chipst )?
Could you clarify it for me?
Much appreciated.

Offline Tony_G

• Frequent Contributor
  • Checkout my old test gear channel (link in sig)
    • TGSoapbox
« Reply #268 on: March 21, 2019, 06:16:14 pm »
The recovery image is just a Ghost image and I don't think there is any HW fingerprinting prior to install. If you get the Win98 drivers for the board then I'd image you'd be able to install the image and then just update the drivers.  If you want to start with you're Win98 image then you could try extracting the various *.inf files from the Ghost image (if you have Ghost, if not then maybe installing the image to a VM?) and search through them for the matching HW IDs and driver files.

Personally I'd just reinstall the recovery image and go from there though.

TonyG

Offline Converter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #269 on: March 21, 2019, 06:21:49 pm »
I think that there is no installation package for the HP oscilloscope program for the old HP 54810-54825/HP 54835-54846 series. In any case, I have never seen a separate installation package for this program. There are only a few versions of the disk image where this program is already integrated into Windows and there are small packages for updating its version.

I assume that absolutely any model of the motherboard that supports Windows 98 (since no one has yet been able to adapt Windows XP) and which you can fit inside the case can be used here. Motherboard drivers you can add separately after deploying a disk image.

Offline alpher

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #270 on: March 21, 2019, 06:28:19 pm »
OK, think I get it, will try to ghost the image over to the CF, any recommendation as to which image to try?
I've seen more than one. Scope is 54845A vin 025 (the older one with just plain floppy drive) for what it matters.
Thanks again guys.

Offline Converter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #271 on: March 21, 2019, 06:42:04 pm »
It does not matter which vin#. It seems the latest version of the software v.4.5. Somewhere at the beginning of this thread there was a link to a file sharing service for downloading several versions of disk images.

I did the installation like this:
First, I connected the usual CD-drive to the IDE connector of the motherboard and, using my old CD-ROM (with resuscitation utilities), loaded the MS-DOS. Then I changed to a CDRW with the disk image file stored there and the utility for unpacking and the system was unpacked. It was very quick.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 07:09:54 pm by Converter »

Offline Tony_G

• Frequent Contributor
  • Checkout my old test gear channel (link in sig)
    • TGSoapbox
« Reply #272 on: March 21, 2019, 06:53:51 pm »
It's on my OneDrive:

In case you need it I saved a copy of the software folders from the Keysight FTP Server (they went missing last time I checked there)

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Amqar8_XQ9Uzj6YhN1xHdM8tQdKMOA

TonyG

TonyG

Offline alpher

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #273 on: March 21, 2019, 09:00:35 pm »
Thanks Tony, I've allready got your copy.
Burned a few different ISO will experiment tgonight.
I'll let you know the outcome.

Offline alpher

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #274 on: March 22, 2019, 01:24:44 am »
OK , so here it goes:
Since I still don't have 810 chipset board that I've ordered i went ahead and installed version 4.3 recovery image from Tony's onedrive, installed on original AMI 757 motherboard.
The only change that I made was to replace busted IBM travelstar HDD that came with the unit (rattling metal inside, most likely heads broke off) with a 8GB CF in an adapter plugged directly into mobo.
Took power from USB headers nearby, the install didn't go well, after reboot I've got something ~4 BSODs , always around the time when windows was installing the drivers for IDE controller.
But I restarted couple of times anyway and eventually it came alive :) :).
Passes self test without an issue, calibration took more than an hour , but it calibrated fine.
Is late now so I didn't try to update to 4.5 but will try tomorrow.
Should I worry about the BSODs during install ? What do you guys think?
Here are a couple of pics:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf