Author Topic: Agilent DSO-X3024A v. Rigol DS4024  (Read 32480 times)

Offline philpem

• Frequent Contributor
  • That Sneaky British Bloke
Re: Agilent DSO-X3024A v. Rigol DS4024
« Reply #75 on: January 22, 2014, 08:30:45 am »
Thanks for your answer, good idea, i will ask for ex-demo units.
I have a Fluke DVM, but i thought the integrated DVM is much more accurate than the auto measurement.

Your Fluke will be far more accurate than the Agilent scope's DVM option... the DVM option is only good to (IIRC) 3 digits resolution and in my experience has a large step size so isn't particularly useful. Voltage at a point on the waveform can be more easily determined with the cursors.

What's about the Hard-Frequency Counter in the DVM option, is this one more accurate than the auto measurement?

I haven't tried that one...

I think, we donĀ“t need segmented memory, when we need it, we can buy the option after some time.
We use SPI most, this is the most important option for us.

Segmem is nice for doing compliance test on slow data buses but the user interface is a bit on the clunky side.

What's about the usability of Agilent?

Second to none. We have one at work, everyone keeps borrowing it (or trying to).
The interface on the Rigol is clunky, with text strings shortened and abbreviated to the point of insanity. Agilent's UI practically guides you through the process of making measurements; it's very intuitive and "feels" like a scope should.

If you've ever used a HP or Agilent scope, you'll love it. If you've used a Tektronix, you'll spend half an hour finding where things are, then love it even more! :D

Do you really need your 4Mpts upgrade, or is it only nice to have?

The scope I've been using doesn't have it natively, but we have demo'd it. It mainly increases the horizontal resolution of the signal when you're zoomed in.

As a point of comparison, the MSOX3054A I just ordered has the following options:
  MSOX3054A Base Unit - 500MHz 4ch + 16ch digital/mixed signal
  EMBD: I2C/Serial (Embedded System Bus) Decode and Trigger
  MEMUP: 4Msamples memory
  WAVEGEN: Waveform generator

I added Wavegen because it saves on bench space - I'll only need my function generator if I need to do something relatively advanced (sweep/modulation mainly). Wavegen makes a nice, simple signal source for testing analog stages and analog-to-digital interface stuff.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 08:34:08 am by philpem »
Phil / M0OFX -- Electronics/Software Engineer
"Why do I have a room full of test gear? Why, it saves on the heating bill!"

Offline Franzman

Re: Agilent DSO-X3024A v. Rigol DS4024
« Reply #76 on: January 22, 2014, 10:32:30 am »
Ok,

I just asked our sales rep. for sending me the MSOX3034 for a week, so i can test the device.
I will test the serial debugging options, maybe we will take it.

If you've ever used a HP or Agilent scope, you'll love it. If you've used a Tektronix, you'll spend half an hour finding where things are, then love it even more! :D
We have a Tektronix now, more usability sounds great :)
Now we are using a Tektronix TDS3024B, in the meantime i'm familiar with this scope. But i don't like that it has only 10kpts :-[

Maybe we get the Hameg HMO3034 from our Agilent distributor too, so we can test side by side, but i think Agilent will win this battle.

Thanks to Philpem :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf