Author Topic: Agilent E7495 linux root account  (Read 136052 times)

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
Re: Agilent E7495 linux root account
« Reply #100 on: November 09, 2015, 04:16:20 pm »

Offline 9aplus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #101 on: November 09, 2015, 08:39:14 pm »
Tnx @Wuerstchenhund
Have located few sources, prices going from USD200 to 380Euro
Just must first open my unit to verify model, just to be on safe side.

Offline jwm_

• Frequent Contributor
    • Not A Number
« Reply #102 on: November 10, 2015, 08:02:52 pm »
My LCD is undergoing the exact same thing, except is more further along than yours. Unit still works properly, but a good cm of the corners are now gone.

It almost looks repairable, like a gasket or something is being pushed over the lcd or behind the backlight. Have not tried to dissasemble it yet though.

Offline sportq

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #103 on: September 01, 2016, 10:34:46 am »

I just got one of these, an E7495A with all the hardware options except E1 tester. I tried to follow the instructions in post #22 to patch the /flash/egServer/elgato binary however it doesn't seem to work. In fact when I try to go to page 2 of 2 of the SYSTEM menu the device hangs. I've put it back to the original binary and the menu works again. Is there anything else that needs to be modified? It mentions editing the ]tt]elgato.lic[/tt] file but it's not clear what should be done. I'd really like to enable option 300, the DC Bias output.

I've also downloaded the Debian Woody (3.0) ARM iso to get some useful Linux binaries. So far I've extracted and tested busybox  :-+ to test the process but I'll make an archive of useful ones (sshd would be great if it works). If any owners want something specific, let me know.

Lastly, I've contacted Keysight to see if they will release the Linux kernel .config file. It's a while since I hand-rolled a kernel but I'm sure I'll manage it. USB storage support would be very useful, even if it's only 1.0 (12Mbit/s).

Peter

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104 on: September 01, 2016, 10:48:22 am »
Hi Peter,

Do you have the correct firmware version? The patch is for version A06.25.
Did you find the to change bytes to be the same?

Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline sportq

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #105 on: September 01, 2016, 10:54:13 am »
Yes, sorry, I should have said, I upgraded to A.06.25 via the link above and the bytes to be changed matched exactly. I reloaded the modified binary into the hex editor to check they had changed too.

Pete

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106 on: September 01, 2016, 10:59:08 am »
If your hex editor didn't do anything weird to the file like inserting the bytes and not overwrite them (file length still the same? Can you run a compare?) then the only other thing I can think of is that there is something strange in your license file that is causing this. Can you post the contents, or maybe PM me if you don't want it exposed to the world...?

Offline Urs42Topic starter

• Supporter
« Reply #107 on: September 01, 2016, 11:42:20 am »
Or send us the MD5 sum of the original and modified file

I think the modified version should have the md5sum

f05c12d848c7faf8866359ae33e1cfec elgato.patch
7e7736a973cccb6b131f803e7f92dcac elgato.orig

I'm not 100% sure about the two checksums, i'm at work and my computer at home not on.

Offline sportq

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #108 on: September 01, 2016, 11:54:43 am »

I'm away from the device too, I'll post the checksums later. Thanks for all your help.

One other interesting observation the processor board has an IrDA port but I don't think it's available on the case. There's a script to start it in /etc/

Peter

Offline sportq

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #109 on: September 01, 2016, 08:06:07 pm »
Confirm the md5 checksum:

Code: [Select]
$ md5 elgato.mod
MD5 (elgato.mod) = f05c12d848c7faf8866359ae33e1cfec

... and both the original and modified files have 5165908 bytes.

Peter

Offline DogP

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #110 on: October 22, 2016, 10:52:27 am »
I recently grabbed one of these (E7495A)... Thanks for all the work everyone's put into it so far.

I've been having fun with it, like most of us in this thread. :)  I rebuilt one of my battery packs, and got it running my own waveforms... so I'll post that stuff when I get some time tomorrow.

I tried to follow the instructions in post #22 to patch the /flash/egServer/elgato binary however it doesn't seem to work. In fact when I try to go to page 2 of 2 of the SYSTEM menu the device hangs. I've put it back to the original binary and the menu works again. Is there anything else that needs to be modified? It mentions editing the ]tt]elgato.lic[/tt] file but it's not clear what should be done. I'd really like to enable option 300, the DC Bias output.
I'm seeing the exact same thing... did you ever work it out?  What I've noticed is that the options actually work (i.e. other tests, waveforms, etc. show up and are usable), but going to pg. 2 of the system menu causes it to hang.  I'm curious whether it's something to do with E7495A.  I upgraded my firmware to 6.25 as well.

BTW, I'm pretty sure the DC Bias option is only supported on the E7495B.  I tried removing it from my .lic file, just in case that was the problem, but it didn't fix it.

Can anyone else that has the modified file confirm that they're able to access pg. 2 of the system menu?  Are you running an E7495A or E7495B?

Thanks,
Pat

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111 on: October 22, 2016, 11:45:59 am »
... going to pg. 2 of the system menu causes it to hang.  I'm curious whether it's something to do with E7495A.  I upgraded my firmware to 6.25 as well.

So this only happens after you patch the elgato binary? What if you replace the .lic file with an empty one or just one option?

Edit: Please PM me your original .lic file. I found a problem with the one sportq was using and we solved it.  :)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 11:48:46 am by PA0PBZ »

Offline DogP

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #112 on: October 22, 2016, 12:12:05 pm »
So this only happens after you patch the elgato binary? What if you replace the .lic file with an empty one or just one option?
Yeah, it's just with the patched binary... but I got it working.  I just had to add SIGN=000000000000 to the end of the lines.  It seems that the license page barfs without some SIGN value for features it has.

Thanks,
Pat

Offline sportq

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #113 on: October 22, 2016, 12:16:55 pm »
Pat, really interested in the waveforms you've created. What are they? FM and AM would be useful but I'm not sure there would be any control over the modulation parameters.

Pete

Offline DogP

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #114 on: October 22, 2016, 07:55:48 pm »
Pat, really interested in the waveforms you've created. What are they? FM and AM would be useful but I'm not sure there would be any control over the modulation parameters.

Currently, I've just been making test files... mostly offset CW to make sure I understand the format and specifics of how it works.

It's not a great signal generator... for most modulated signals (arbitrary and internally generated), it looks like they're simply mixing a 60 MHz IF with an LO (at the desired frequency + 60 MHz).  So, the desired signal, LO, and an image are all very strong.  The one signal (iDEN) looks like they're using a 24 MHz IF, but probably still at the same internal sample rate or something, as there are images 12 MHz off from the desired and upper image (one being up 60 MHz from the desired freq).  So, if you just need a signal present in a narrow bandwidth it's fine, but without a suppressed carrier or images, it's not a very good general purpose generator.

It's also not very flexible.  If you change the size of the file, it looks like the software knows that it needs to process more or less (generating takes shorter or longer), but when it actually plays it, it's always the size of the original file.  I'm guessing it writes the file into RAM of the signal generator depending on the actual file size, and then tells the generator to play a hardcoded size depending which "file" you're playing.  So, if you give it a file smaller than the original, you can see it play your file and then the end of whatever file you played before that... and a longer file never plays anything beyond the size of the original file.

The files are also short.  The 1xEVDORev bin files are all only 80ms long, and the iDENInOneSixthArbPlayback1.bin file is 1.44 seconds long.  The "Arb" in the name means that it's an arbitrary waveform... the other files are basically just parameters to use to make the signal (for example IS95RevAccessZeroPayload.bin is just 12KB of 0s... obviously not an actual waveform file).  Those non-Arb waveforms look like they may be generated and uploaded to the signal generator in a similar way though, so it may be possible to write your own program on the box to generate and upload your own waveform... if you can figure out the interface/protocol.

The file format for the Arb files is simply a complex (interleaved I and Q) signed 16-bit integer (no header or anything).  The integers are little endian, and it's I then Q (i.e. bytes 0 and 1 are I, 2 and 3 are Q... and so on).  The EVDO files are 2.5Msps and the iDEN file is 250Ksps.

Attached are some screenshots of various signals (simply cabled between RF Out and RF In).  The selected output frequency of all of them is 2 GHz.  The 10k file is a tone at +10 KHz, the 50k file is a tone at +50 KHz.  I tuned the spectrum analyzer to 2 GHz for the close-in views, and to the LO frequency for the wide views.

I also attached those files in case you'd like to try them out.  Simply copy them to the signal directory and rename them to the desired file name (50k is for an EVDO file, 10k is the iDEN file) and select it in the signal generator to play them back.

If anyone can figure out how to make the generator play different length files, that'd be great.  It seems to fail generating files larger than ~2MB, but even so, a 2 second 250Ksps (or 200ms 2.5Msps) file, remapped to a CF card instead of internal flash would be pretty nice.

Pat

Offline DogP

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #115 on: October 22, 2016, 11:14:46 pm »
Here are a bunch of pics from my battery pack rebuild.  It's a 9 cell 18650 pack, with SMBus, fuel gauge, protection, etc.  I'll try to go through the process, and mention any gotchas as well.  But first of all... let me start by saying I've never rebuilt an 18650 battery pack, and I don't own a battery tab welder.  So, I bought batteries with tabs already attached, so I could solder to them (soldering directly to 18650s is hard, and the heat isn't good for the battery).  The battery tab welder would have made things quicker and easier though.

The obvious things: safety first... lithium batteries hold a lot of charge and can be dangerous, catch fire, etc.  Pay attention to battery polarity, and don't attempt this if you don't know what you're doing.

I chose the HyperPS brand batteries, with tabs attached, which were <$3 each shipped on ebay (these: www.ebay.com/itm/272359448176 ).  They claim guaranteed >2600mAh, but suspicious of unknown brands, I made sure to test them in my BT-C3100 charger/tester before building the battery pack.  These actually tested quite well, >2800mAh each.  In case you don't know, fake 18650 cells claiming ridiculously large capacity (6000mAh, 9800mAh, etc) are all over the place, and generally they are actually junk (<1000mAh).  A real 18650 will generally be around 2000-3000 mAh.  The original batteries were MOLI FSPE.70037 (ICR-18650G), which were 2000mAh cells.

GOTCHA: make sure the length of the new cells are close to that of the original cells (~65mm).  The original cells are unprotected, so you'll probably want to stick with unprotected cells, as the protection circuit generally adds a little bit of length, and there isn't a lot of extra room.

To open the pack, peel back the short side of the label (or cut it, though if you leave it in one piece, it works well to hold the pack together).  Go around the edge of the pack with a knife to crack the small dots of superglue holding the plastic pieces together at the edges.  You can also crack the glue by twisting it like you're popping ice cubes out of a tray.

GOTCHA: the pack was assembled in the bottom half (side with the battery contacts), and then some RTV was put on top and closed up.  You want to disassemble it in the reverse order.  If you pull the pack out of the bottom (like I did), it'll bend the battery contacts and rip the LCD cable (I ended up replacing it with standard 0.05" ribbon).  Instead, you should open the pack by prying the top from the batteries.  Then, once the top is open, lift the pack straight out of the bottom.  Clean out any large globs of RTV from the case so they don't interfere with the fit of the new cells.

Once it's out, desolder the two tabs from the PCB, undo the Kapton tape holding the fuses, and cut the metal strips connecting the fuses to the batteries (leaving as much of the strip as possible, as you'll probably want to reuse it), and remove the PCB and fuses.  Once that's removed, you can pop apart the original pack and see how it's connected... it's 3 series packs of 3 batteries in parallel.  You'll want to start by assembling your 3 parallel battery packs.  If using the solder kind, rotate the tabs so you're soldering away from the center of the battery, so it'll solder easier, and apply less heat to the battery.  Make sure the tabs also line up on all packs, so they're easy to connect in series.  The battery pack is tight, so try to keep the solder fairly low profile.  Once they're all assembled, drop them in for a quick test fit.

Next, you need to add the tabs that go to the PCB.  Look at their placement on the original pack, and try to get it as close as possible on the new pack, so the PCB will fit properly.  I added Kapton tape between the packs, so all current will flow through the tabs... though that's not very important, as they're connected in series anyway.  I then soldered the tabs between packs together and slipped a piece of heatshrink over them and taped them down with Kapton.  I then transferred over the tape from the old batteries to the new ones for the boards and fuses, and put a few pieces of Kapton over the pack to keep it held together.  I desoldered the red and black wires from the PCB (so the PCB was completely out of the way), and connected the fuse tabs to the tabs on the ends of the pack, and cut off any extra tails.  I then put Kapton over the ends, since there wasn't enough room in the pack for the cardboard endcaps that were on the originals.

This gives you batteries fully assembled, with a red and black wire and two tabs sticking up.  Then solder the red and black wires to the PCB and press it down over the tabs and solder the tabs.  Then carefully drop the entire pack into the bottom of the shell, making sure the battery contacts go straight into the slots.  You may need to pry the plastic back a bit on the LCD end to pop the LCD in place.  Then with a multimeter, make sure you have around 11V across the points where you soldered the red and black wires.

Finally, temporarily close the lid, slide it into the E7495, and make sure it's functional before permanently closing it up. Once you know it works, I'd put a few dabs of superglue around the plastic shell, pull the label tightly over the shell and seal it up (the label should still be tacky, but will probably need a bit of glue/adhesive for a permanent seal).

The battery fuel gauge will be wrong (mine said 0% when it started, even though it already had a half charge), but after a full charge and discharge, it figured itself out.  There's an option to refresh the battery on the E7495 (automatically charges, discharges, and recharges), though it didn't work for me (it never completed because the gauge never showed that it was fully charged).

Anyway, I hope this helps... or convinces you to just spend the $200 on a new one. :-P

Pat
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 11:19:34 pm by DogP »

The following users thanked this post: BravoV

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #116 on: October 23, 2016, 12:30:47 am »
Nice rebuild of the battery. I need to find some cheap/free packs from the 7495's big brother the N1996A to rebuild. I rarely want to run it on batteries but once in a while it could be handy.

btw for anyone doing a battery rebuild like this be sure to start with all cells having an equal charge status.
VE7FM

Offline smgvbest

• Supporter
    • Kilbourne Astronomics
« Reply #117 on: October 23, 2016, 01:20:31 am »
Thank you for the battery rebuild,   that will come in very handy.  I've got one battery going thru the recondition now and the other no so healty so this is great timing.

Also thank you for the hack to enable options.   I don't have the HW for Opt 500 or the E1/T1 options but every thing else enabled just fine.

Does anyone know how to get to a self test screen or if it even has one?
Sandra
(Yes, I am a Woman :p )

Offline DogP

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #118 on: October 23, 2016, 01:45:44 am »
btw for anyone doing a battery rebuild like this be sure to start with all cells having an equal charge status.

Ah, yes... good call on the charge status.  Another note... according to the manual, the E7495 heavily drains batteries even when turned off.  It says 18% per day, just to monitor for the power button :palm: .

I know what you mean about batteries though... plugged in is nice on the bench, but laziness usually gets the best of me, and not having to find an outlet somewhere else makes me more likely to use it.  That's why I've got a battery powered oscilloscope as well.

Oh, somewhat related... I tested the batteries I pulled from the original MOLI battery pack.  One battery was shorted, which drained all 3 of those connected cells to 0V and ruined them.  The other 6 actually tested good, between 1700 and 1900 mAh.  So, I'll keep them around for future projects where a mediocre used cell will work fine.

Does anyone know how to get to a self test screen or if it even has one?
Under system->pg. 2->service->verification there's a display and button test... but it's not much of a self test.  I'm not aware of anything like a memory, etc. test.

Pat

Offline DogP

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #119 on: October 23, 2016, 10:42:14 am »

For anyone interested in making your own waveforms, but not really sure where to start... here's a quick tutorial for making a compatible FM file in Octave (should work in MATLAB too).  You'll need the communications package installed (I believe you'll need the communications toolbox for MATLAB).

I'm using the piano2.wav file from this page: http://www.kozco.com/tech/soundtests.html as an example.  Below is the code... first you read the wav file, resample it from 48Ksps (audio file sample rate) to 250Ksps (iDEN file sample rate), and take just one channel of the stereo file (and rotate the matrix).  Then you FM modulate it to a complex baseband signal.  Then to get the signal ready to output, you need to scale it to full 16-bit integer scale, shorten it to 360000 samples (length of original iDEN file), and break the real/imag part of the complex signal into seperate columns of the matrix (for fwrite to output properly).  Finally, simply open the file for writing, write the file, and close it.  Then copy it to your E7495, put it in place of the iDEN file, and test it out!  The process is basically identical for the EVDO signals, except they're 2.5Msps, and only 200000 samples long.

Code: [Select]
pkg load communications
piano=wavread("piano2.wav");
music=resample(piano(:,1).', 250, 48);
fm=amodce(music, 250000, "fm", 7500);
cp_fm(1,:)=real(fm(1:360000))*32767;
cp_fm(2,:)=imag(fm(1:360000))*32767;
myfile=fopen("fm_music.bin", 'w');
fwrite(myfile, cp_fm, "int16");
fclose(myfile);

Of course the E7495 doesn't go down to the normal FM broadcast band (only goes down to 375 MHz), so I used an RTLSDR dongle with SDR# to demodulate the FM at a frequency it could work at, to verify it worked.

Pat

Offline DogP

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #120 on: October 26, 2016, 06:40:44 am »
Does anyone know what the actual differences are between the E7495A and E7495B?  I know the front panel of the E7495A says 10MHz-2.5GHz and E7495B says 10MHz-2.7GHz, but as far as I can tell, both have the same frequency ranges (spectrum analyzer goes from 500KHz to 2.7GHz, antenna/cable analyzer and signal generator goes from 375MHz to 2.5GHz).

The only differences I've found (though can't confirm since I don't have both to actually compare) are that the B has the DC Bias option, the signal generator has slightly higher maximum output power for most signals, and accepts more external reference frequencies.

Did the B come out after the A and have an upgraded CPU, memory, flash, or anything like that?

BTW, I did some more testing on waveform files, and it appears that the largest file it'll fully process is 2MB (corresponds to 200ms @ 2.5Msps, or 2s @ 250Ksps).  I haven't gotten it to actually play any longer than the original file length though.

Thanks,
Pat

Offline DogP

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #121 on: November 02, 2016, 05:48:59 am »
I've noticed a few strange things with my E7495A... can anyone else confirm that these are or are not normal, and that your box does what would seem "normal"?

1) Fairly regularly when I turn the box on from the off state, the screen lights up, then fades to black, but it doesn't actually boot (nothing shows on the screen at all).  I press the power button again to turn it off (either off or standby), and then press it again, and it boots fine on the 2nd attempt.  It doesn't look like it's an LCD issue... it looks like it's just not booting (it never connects to the network, when it does come on it goes through the full boot process, etc).

2) When I connect a GPS antenna with a good view of the sky, I easily get GPS (bottom left says GPS Locked), location usually shows ~8 satellites tracked, but the GPS icon in the bottom right never goes to the green dot (I've left it tracking for over 24 hours).  It always stays at the yellow triangle.  Because of that, I can't run the Time Base Adjustment (it requires me to wait for the green dot).  Switching to the internal reference shows a green dot, and the frequency accuracy seems pretty good, so I don't think the TCXO is bad.

Also, I noticed that it shows time on the screen, but it never gets set to the correct GPS time (and it appears that the time/date gets reset to the time/date that was set at boot every 30 seconds, even if I manually set it over telnet).  The GPS location looks correct though (drops a dot right on my neighbors house :-P ).

3) I rebuilt my 2nd battery pack, and like the first one, going through the battery recalibration procedure never finished.  It says that it'd take up to 12 hours, and on the first battery I left it running for almost 2 days and it never finished, so it aborted... on the 2nd battery, I left it running since I rebuilt the pack on Friday night... so almost 5 days.  I finally aborted it tonight.  The battery voltage was slowly creeping upward around 12.4 (going up around 10mV per day) but never hit 12.6V (4.2V per cell)... not sure if it didn't think it was done because of that, or something else.  It almost always showed 0 mA current.  The percentage shown is usually 99%, though it sometimes bounces down to 98% or up to 100%.

The battery life seems fine (~1.5 - 2 hours per battery), so I'm not too worried about it... just seems strange (and my OCD would like that fuel gauge error to say 0%, not 10% ;) )... I also tried just running the batteries down and recharging them normally, but that didn't make a difference.

Related to that... the 2nd battery rebuild went smoother than the first.  I'll update my rebuild post above with a couple more notes/pics.

BTW, I did a fresh firmware install of 6.25 (pressing the bottom right button, across from NO), and it didn't make any difference.

Thanks,
Pat
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 05:53:31 am by DogP »

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #122 on: November 02, 2016, 06:15:30 am »
Are you using the factory power adapter? Does the unit always boot first try with the batteries removed?
VE7FM

Offline DogP

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #123 on: November 02, 2016, 07:57:42 am »
Are you using the factory power adapter? Does the unit always boot first try with the batteries removed?
I'm using an aftermarket power adapter... actually, I've tried two different ones (one of them is a generic 24V 5A supply, the other is a universal 19.5V laptop power supply).  Unfortunately, it's not something that I can reliably reproduce.  I was able to get it to happen running from battery only, with the 24V supply with a battery installed, and with the 19.5V supply and no battery installed.

Not sure if it's a temperature, cap, etc. issue... I assume it's not normal, but wondering if anyone else has run into this issue.

Thanks,
Pat

Offline jwm_

• Frequent Contributor
    • Not A Number
« Reply #124 on: November 05, 2016, 03:00:19 am »
Anyone figure out a fix for the screen bezel coming undone? The system works fine, but part of the screen is obscured. Picture attached

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf