Author Topic: Agilent N9360A Multi UE Tester  (Read 967 times)

Offline shuvoduttaTopic starter

• Contributor
Agilent N9360A Multi UE Tester
« on: March 16, 2018, 03:26:45 pm »
Hi All,

This is my First Post on EEVblog Forum...  :)

I've recently acquired An Agilent N9360A Multi UE Tester (with G.S.M. and W-C.D.M.A. Options) from ebay.in (got it on a really good deal.). I'm not from R.F. Background (basically Comp. Engg. Major, working in Embedded Software), just wanted to Experiment/Explore the Unit and wanted to find out the feasibility to use it as Spectrum Analyzer.

The Unit boots fine, in mint condition, no Signs of Previous Opening/Repairing/Mis-Handling (Passed Smell-Test too... :D).

What I've found out till now;
1. Customized 700MHz, P3 Board, 256mB R.A.M. and 40gB Toshiba H.D.D.
2. Special Back-Plane Assembly (A6) which connects all the Peripheral/R.F. Boards via P.C.I.
3. Back-Plane is fully Populated other than a Single Slot which is for C.D.M.A. Board; probably
4. uses Timesys Linux (customized for this Hardware) (Another Reason for me to go for this Toy...  :D)
5. contains 5 Disk Partitions but only one will get mounted for normal use, other partitions contain Application Software, Documentation etc.
6. SSH/Telnet can be used to access the Unit, External U.S.B. Keyboard works Too
7. B.I.O.S. Options look Standard

Issues;
1. G.S.M./W-C.D.M.A. Module Initialization (which is Absolutely Necessary for the Unit to do anything effectively) fails with Error Code 00001002 ('No Ref. Signal from Ext. Source' according to User Manual, although internal 10MHz Ref. is selected) for no Apparent Reasons
2. Shows @.@@ as R.F. C.P.U. Version
3. does not show any Firmware Version for G.S.M. and W-C.D.M.A. Boards (but shows correctly that these Options are Installed indeed and the Boards are Physically there.)
4. no Software/Firmware/Service-Manual available from Agilent/Keysight (only User and Programming Manuals are there.)
5. C.M.O.S. Backup Battery is Dead

What I've done till now;
1. Fed 10MHz Sine Wave (@2mW, Acceptable Input Power Range is from 0dbm to +10dbm, this Unit has 50 \$\Omega\$ Input Termination) as External Ref. and selected Ext. Ref. Source in the Configuration but the behavior did not change, tried with both G.S.M. and W-C.D.M.A. Options. Input Waveform has been monitored continuously on Scope, have not noticed anything Unusual.
2. Checked 10MHz Ref.-Out with Scope, it gives a Clean; Stable Output, probably nothing's wrong with the OCXO.
3. All the Boards are Connected Firmly in their Slots (Double Checked it.)
4. Checked All the Logs (dmesg, syslog and Application Logs), nothing is Unusual there too.

From here;
1. Planning to replace the C.M.O.S. battery (if it has to do anything with any of the B.I.O.S. Settings by any chance.)

Doubts;
1. Does it have anything to do with Driver/Firmware? (Keysight does not provide any link for them at this moment.)
2. Does it need the External R.F. Test Assembly (Cable, R.F. Test Enclosure for the Cell Phone etc.) to work?

I wanted to share my Findings and would like to get the Advice/Documents (Service Manual etc., if someone has) from the Experts/Gurus on this Renowned Forum. Information available on Web. for this Unit is Really Sparse.

Thanks in Advance for you Patience and Time... :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf