Author Topic: AIMOmeter MS8217 multi-meter: A Fluke 17B Clone?  (Read 14957 times)

Offline electronupdateTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
AIMOmeter MS8217 multi-meter: A Fluke 17B Clone?
« on: May 30, 2015, 01:50:10 pm »
Recently spotted on amazon.com.  The external case is identical to a Fluke 17B (so identical I wonder if someone got hold of the actual Fluke molds?).... however the insides of the meter are quite different. The 10 Amp range circuit, in particular looks very wrong with respect to fusing.....

Review video here:

Offline sync

• Frequent Contributor
Re: AIMOmeter MS8217 multi-meter: A Fluke 17B Clone?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 02:20:52 pm »
The 10 Amp range circuit, in particular looks very wrong with respect to fusing.....
It has a fuse but it's unfused!  :palm: :palm: :palm: |O
That means the manufacture never tested it or ignored the failed test. What a POS!

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 01:01:51 am »
Wow! :scared:

Thanks for buying that piece of junk so others can see why markings can't be trusted unless you can verify them with third party testing. I can see why Europe has made the IEC standards mandatory. As far as I understand, there are no regulations for this yet in the USA.

I bet Fluke will be going after sales of this thing, or at least they should.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 03:29:20 am by Lightages »

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 01:30:07 am »
@electronupdate

1) Can you post some high resolution pictures of the MS8217 pcb please?

2) I'm sure if you complained, Amazon would gladly refund your money for this meter.  They usually have a very generous return policy for items that are not up to customer's satisfaction.

3) If you haven't see this thread already on the Aimometer, go to

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/blatant-copying-of-fluke/
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 03:26:23 am by retiredcaps »

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 01:35:33 am »
Wow, thanks for the review. A truely scary meter.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 01:44:40 am »
Unbelievable audacity. First to pretty much copy the Fluke mold identically and then to sell such a heap of garbage on Amazon. Thanks for the review.

Offline ModemHead

• Frequent Contributor
  • No user-serviceable parts inside.
    • Mr. ModemHead
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 02:59:18 am »
Yes, thanks for that teardown and review.  I believe that's the closest thing I've ever seen to an outright Fluke clone.  Really curious where the top end of that fuse goes.  What were they thinking?   :o

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 05:37:29 am »
@electronupdate

1) Can you post some high resolution pictures of the MS8217 pcb please?

Photos here:

Items to note:
    On the photo were a light is shined through the board one can see how close the trace to the "voltage" input runs next to the ground plane.  That seems like a creepage violation?
   The back of the meter suggests replacing the fuse with a "500 mA" version, but the front of the meter clearly says "400 mA"
And as previously noted, the 10A fuse does not appear to do anything as it's in the wrong place in the circuit.....

Offline bitwelder

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2015, 06:46:16 am »
Can you post also a photo of the rotary switch? Looking at the video it seemed like another faulty component.

BTW: I wonder if the useless 10A fuse is an AIMO 'original design', or we might find it also in other cheap brands.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2015, 07:03:44 am »
10A fuse seems to be there only to connect the current shunt on the 10A range to the voltage sense on the A range. If that 10A fuse blows it means the meter has just been hit by lightning.

Offline Jay_Diddy_B

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2015, 01:43:20 pm »
Hi,

In addition to the 10A fuse being in the wrong place. There is very little creepage distance. The full input can appear across the gaps that I have circled in red.

If they had spent as much time copying the inside as they did copying the outside, they would have had a much better (safer) meter.

Regards,

Jay_Diddy_B

« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 01:45:37 pm by Jay_Diddy_B »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2015, 01:44:22 pm »
Can you post also a photo of the rotary switch? Looking at the video it seemed like another faulty component.

Switch photo below.  Note how it's held in place by only one screw (the other posts are  locating pins). The combination of a single screw which is slightly stripped out and the springs being slightly too stiff is combining to push some of the contacts away.

This is becoming a study on easily avoided design errors... sadly most of them could have been avoided without adding much, if any cost.

Offline Jay_Diddy_B

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2015, 02:05:07 pm »
Hi,

From the video, it looks like Fluke also used a single screw in the same location:

Regards,

Jay_Diddy_B

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2015, 10:33:47 pm »
If they had spent as much time copying the inside as they did copying the outside, they would have had a much better (safer) meter.
With not too much effort, the people at AMIOmeter could have done a simple search for "Fluke 17B schematic" and would have found a leaked copy of it.

They could have just removed all the input protection, substituted cheap components for all the expensive ones and would have been done.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2015, 11:07:03 pm »
Switch photo below.
The switch looks identical, not surprisingly, to the Fluke 17B teardown video that Dave did.

While answering another Fluke 17B question, I noticed that the Fluke 17B manual was dated October 2002.  On Fluke's website, the 17B is listed as discontinued (due to the introduction of the 17B+).  If correct and given it is a 13 yeard old design now, I wonder if one of the following scenarios is true?

1) To get some money on their discontinued Fluke 17B leftover molds, they sold off the molds to somone for $$ with the provision the rubber is not yellow.

2) They were destined to be destroyed, but someone diverted the truck to another factory?

PS.  Since Martin Lorton was just at Fluke HQ, I alerted Martin to this thread to see if Fluke HQ has any feedback?

Online pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2015, 03:43:57 pm »
With not too much effort, the people at AMIOmeter could have done a simple search for "Fluke 17B schematic" and would have found a leaked copy of it.

They could have just removed all the input protection, substituted cheap components for all the expensive ones and would have been done.
Or they could have made 100% identical copy. Even with the original components from Fluke the sales price would be much lower, as they can keep the profit margins lower. There is no need for them to amortize the R&D costs when they copy paste the multimeter :)

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2015, 09:16:24 pm »
Great job.  After all the work they did copying the meter,  the amp fuse error is so plebian, yet so critical is makes you wonder what added oversights are on in that design :palm:.   Thanks for taking the time to buy it and tear it down.  It would be good to return or discard it as handing it down may be a moral dilemma.  I wonder what's in the fuses?
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2015, 03:13:37 am »
I really think that you guys are fussing too much about the fuse placement. The way I see it is that AIMO engineers made only one mistake: a typo. Where it reads 10A it should read 100A. The other 10A ceramic fuse that leads to the input of the meter is intended to protect against overcurrent caused by overvoltage - something around 100MV (10A passing through 10M ohms of input impedance).

All in all, a brilliant design.  O0
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2015, 03:34:45 pm »
What the fuck was that pcb design.  :-DMM :wtf:
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf