Author Topic: Amprobe AM240  (Read 6329 times)

Offline M0BSWTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Left this site 2013, they will not delete it ????
Amprobe AM240
« on: March 24, 2013, 08:40:32 pm »
Hi Ive been offered an Amprobe AM240, thumbs up or thumbs down, will this be a good stable mate for my Ideal 61-322 true RMS, which I trust from years of use, I have bought a couple of micky mouse meters, which will be on e/bay once I find another reliable  meter , the AM240 is about the price I want to pay, as I have my eye on a Tektronix scope:)
no one would or will tell me how to delete this account

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
Re: Amprobe AM240
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 09:42:50 pm »
You can buy one for $55 new in the US. Unless the price is btter than that I would consider something else. Maybe an Amprobe AM-270 for $90 or something else. It is difficult to make any real recommendation without knowing your price range and the intended use.

Offline armandas

• Frequent Contributor
    • My projects
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 10:48:06 pm »
We have a few of those meters at work and I would not recommend them. A few reasons why:
  • The probes that come with AM240 are ridiculous, they actually got smooth *round* tips - don't expect to be able to pierce through oxidisation with those things.
  • The second most annoying thing is that the Current and Voltage jacks are swapped. You have to be careful to not short out your project by accident.
  • If you leave that meter on for too long, it will switch itself off, but before it does that, it annoys the hell out of you with its beeping.

I haven't otherwise used that meter, so those are the only comments I can give at this time.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 02:05:05 pm »
You can buy one for $55 new in the US. Unless the price is btter than that I would consider something else. Maybe an Amprobe AM-270 for $90 or something else. It is difficult to make any real recommendation without knowing your price range and the intended use.
I'm a Radio Amateur ,so it's hobby use only , I love building devices to go with the ham radio, I don't really get near High voltages, apart from the PA tubes ,where most care is needed, thankfully I don't have to visit much. So it mostly filters audio receive /transmit, pre-amps and the like, the latest project was my 6 metre linear amplifier, which produces 600 watts, that was  the max.so Accurate yes but obsessive no, all my other gear func/gen sig/gen scope frequency counter is all old ,but does what I want it to.
Thanks for your reply.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 03:52:25 pm »
From your use it looks like you could use another TRMS meter. Why ot get a Uni-T UT61E with its 22,000 counts and higher accuracy than the AM-240. You can get it for $55 shipped from iloveelectronics here on the forums and it is a great meter for the money but lacks back light and temperature. If you plan on doing anything mains related then it would be better to have a meter correctly built and rated for safety and the AM-270 is hard to beat for value at $90.

Just don't pay more than $40 for a used AM-240 when you can get one for $55. I see you are in GB, so I don't know what the prices of things would be for you.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 05:00:27 pm »
From your use it looks like you could use another TRMS meter. Why ot get a Uni-T UT61E with its 22,000 counts and higher accuracy than the AM-240. You can get it for $55 shipped from iloveelectronics here on the forums and it is a great meter for the money but lacks back light and temperature. If you plan on doing anything mains related then it would be better to have a meter correctly built and rated for safety and the AM-270 is hard to beat for value at $90.

Just don't pay more than $40 for a used AM-240 when you can get one for $55. I see you are in GB, so I don't know what the prices of things would be for you.
Thank you I'll have a look thanks to your advice, there are so many out there,i t's mind blowing, years ago it was much easier Radio Shacks Micronta meters and I still have one :-+ , the New AM 240 was £35.00p UK.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 05:25:24 pm »

Thank you I'll have a look thanks to your advice, there are so many out there,i t's mind blowing, years ago it was much easier Radio Shacks Micronta meters and I still have one :-+ , the New AM 240 was £35.00p UK.

the  UT61e is £49.00 uk I've offered £40.00UK  the UT 61A is £30>UK don't really know the difference between UT 61E/UT61A

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 06:46:46 pm »
Get in touch with iloveelectronics here for the UT61E. He is reliable and well liked here.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/brand-new-uni-t-ut61e-for-sale/  $55USD shipped.

The UT61E is the top of the line of the 61 series and has TRMS, 22,000 counts, 0.1% basic accuracy, has PC connection cable and software included, and is built rather well. The UT61A is more for electrical work than electronics but does not really have proper protection on the inputs for high energy circuits. Most people will never have a problem but you should know that both of these models do not meet their safety ratings.

If you want more of a do it all meter that is much safer for electrical work then get an Amprobe AM-270, or a Brymen BM257, or Brymen BM815, all around $110 plus shipping. If you don't want to spend that much and want a meter just for bench electronics then it is difficult to beat the UT61E for value.

Offline BillyD

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 09:31:55 pm »
We have a few of those meters at work and I would not recommend them. A few reasons why:
  • The probes that come with AM240 are ridiculous, they actually got smooth *round* tips - don't expect to be able to pierce through oxidisation with those things.
  • The second most annoying thing is that the Current and Voltage jacks are swapped. You have to be careful to not short out your project by accident.
  • If you leave that meter on for too long, it will switch itself off, but before it does that, it annoys the hell out of you with its beeping.

I haven't otherwise used that meter, so those are the only comments I can give at this time.

Agree with the above. The beeping is just insane and happens with every button press. I ended up stuffing some chewing gum into the speaker casing of mine to bring it down to a tolerable level.
Also its backlighting is a bit of a joke: you have to press the Hold button to activate it, then it goes off after just 8 seconds. And the temperature probe is a bit ungainly.

However it has grown on me and so far has proven to be a reasonably sturdy and accurate meter. An Extech ex330 which I bought around the same time for about the same price is letting me down on both of those counts.

On the UT61E be aware that it has no auto power off, so if you're anything like me you should budget for lots of replacement batteries! Although if you have the time and energy there are a couple of clever hacks out there to add auto power off functionality.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 06:00:55 pm »
Get in touch with iloveelectronics here for the UT61E. He is reliable and well liked here.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/brand-new-uni-t-ut61e-for-sale/  $55USD shipped.

The UT61E is the top of the line of the 61 series and has TRMS, 22,000 counts, 0.1% basic accuracy, has PC connection cable and software included, and is built rather well. The UT61A is more for electrical work than electronics but does not really have proper protection on the inputs for high energy circuits. Most people will never have a problem but you should know that both of these models do not meet their safety ratings.

If you want more of a do it all meter that is much safer for electrical work then get an Amprobe AM-270, or a Brymen BM257, or Brymen BM815, all around $110 plus shipping. If you don't want to spend that much and want a meter just for bench electronics then it is difficult to beat the UT61E for value.

Currently in contact with Franky with UT61E in mind

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 07:15:46 pm »

Currently in contact with Franky with UT61E in mind
Ordered and paid for

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 04:42:46 pm »
   Uni T Ut61E is  on it's way :-+ :-+ :-+
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 04:44:36 pm by M0BSW »

Offline techie1234

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2016, 03:19:24 pm »

Owning a UT61A already and curious, in what ways does it not meet its safety ratings?

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2016, 04:58:05 pm »

Owning a UT61A already and curious, in what ways does it not meet its safety ratings?

The UT61A is rated CATIV/600V and CATIII/1000V. The current jacks are marked as 250V MAX. Having two different maximum voltages on the same meter is not permitted under the IEC rules. If you open the meter up, you can also see that the fuses used are not rated for the requirements of fuses for the CAT ratings listed. The clearances and creepage distances are also not up to spec. It is a not horrible meter, but keep it on the bench only and away from high energy stuff.

The following users thanked this post: techie1234

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2016, 09:33:38 pm »
You never know what version of UT61A you get. There are places for MOVs on the PCB, but they are unpopulated sometimes. http://www.thebrightsideforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1334
There can even be big HRC fuses, or not. I do not like that jack detection button thing or whatever it is.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 09:36:29 pm by Hydrawerk »
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline techie1234

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2016, 12:35:51 pm »
The UT61A is rated CATIV/600V and CATIII/1000V. The current jacks are marked as 250V MAX. Having two different maximum voltages on the same meter is not permitted under the IEC rules. If you open the meter up, you can also see that the fuses used are not rated for the requirements of fuses for the CAT ratings listed. The clearances and creepage distances are also not up to spec. It is a not horrible meter, but keep it on the bench only and away from high energy stuff.
Ah yes, I've seen the 250V warnings for the current measurement and the small 240V fuses inside (at least mine aren't glass). Didn't know that that you couldn't have two different voltage specs for the voltmeter/ammeter sections for the advertised ratings - but it certainly makes sense.  Might be time to get a Bryman?  ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf