Author Topic: AN8202?  (Read 3696 times)

Offline kalelTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
AN8202?
« on: June 23, 2017, 08:29:26 pm »
Possibly the third cheapest multimeter from China, or if not, it's definitely in that range, comes the "AN8202":

Considering the price range, the closest competitor is this A830L:

There is some limited information on the A830L on here, the second cheapest meter on eBay and the first with a backlight, such as that it doesn't come with a fuse, but I wasn't able to find much on AN8202.
The only thing I can see is that AN comes with slightly different probes. The other information (description specifications) seems to be the same.

Does anyone perhaps have this meter and any information?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 08:36:24 pm by kalel »

Offline JLNY

• Regular Contributor
Re: AN8202?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 08:44:44 pm »
Is there any evidence that it isn't the same as an A830L internally with a slightly different case? The display and control layout look identical. The probes look a bit different, but still have the same flat tops and that weird half-shroud around the plugs that the A830L and DT830D use.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 08:46:52 pm »
Is there any evidence that it isn't the same as an A830L internally with a slightly different case? The display and control layout look identical. The probes look a bit different, but still have the same flat tops and that weird half-shroud around the plugs that the A830L and DT830D use.

Yes, it looks quite similar. It's slightly more expensive (perhaps to compensate for the probes, although it's difficult to say if they are any better), and the case is slightly different, but as you said they could be the same inside.
Perhaps if we can find some images to compare.

P.S. It does perhaps look slightly better visually, although this is a personal preference and shouldn't be important at all.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 08:59:00 pm by kalel »

Offline JLNY

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 09:08:16 pm »
Eh, I'm not sold on that case. It's clearly trying to look like a rubberized case, but the seams at the side and screws through the back would suggest that it is just hard plastic. I have actually used an A830L before, and they are riduculously light and cheap feeling. I actually thought the DT-830 feels nicer to use (I know it's a sin around here, but I actually keep a DT-838, the temperature measurement variant that comes with a free thermocouple with bananna plugs,  as a secondary-use meter  >:D)

It would be interesting to see the inside to compare to the A830L, but honestly I think there are better options. As stated, I prefer the cheaper DT-830 family (supposedly there are even a couple variants with fuses on the low current range. I've never seen one that did, but I just cut the traces and solder in my own fuse clips), and for several bucks more, one could get something like a Bside ADM02, which is a rebadged Mastech MS8233E and is actually a semi-okay meter with proper ceramic fuses and a rubberized case.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 09:11:27 pm by JLNY »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 09:26:55 pm »
As stated, I prefer the cheaper DT-830 family (supposedly there are even a couple variants with fuses on the low current range. I've never seen one that did, but I just cut the traces and solder in my own fuse clips)

Let me open one up, if I remember correctly it might have one.

Edit: There's a glass fuse inside. This is a MEANO or MANO DT-830B and not the AN8202 (just to make clear).
No continuity buzzer and a big of small shielding.

P.S. I guess the "hot glue" on the pot is "we calibrated this, don't touch!" kind of thing?

for several bucks more, one could get something like a Bside ADM02, which is a rebadged Mastech MS8233E and is actually a semi-okay meter with proper ceramic fuses and a rubberized case.

Interesting, it costs similar to AN8002 on Banggood, but even having seen some reviews of AN8002, I don't remember if it also has the right fuses.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 01:16:36 am by kalel »

Offline JLNY

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 10:05:52 pm »
Interesting, so some of them do come with fuses. Yeah, it's a bummer that the DT830B has no continuity buzzer. The DT830D and DT838 both have a buzzer. There are also a couple of other variants like the DT832, although I don't know what is different about them. The DT830D's continuity tester has a bit of a delay on it, whereas the A830L has one of the scratchy unlatched kind.

I've seen the hot glue over the trimmer trick. Maybe it's to prevent it from going out of cal due to vibration? seems unnecessary to me.

here is a picture of the inside of an A830L (left) and a DT830D (right). Both didn't have fuses, installed, but oddly still had the pads for them so I just cut the trace shorting the pads together and installed my own.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 10:07:24 pm by JLNY »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 10:16:02 pm »
Interesting, so some of them do come with fuses. Yeah, it's a bummer that the DT830B has no continuity buzzer. The DT830D and DT838 both have a buzzer. There are also a couple of other variants like the DT832, although I don't know what is different about them. The DT830D's continuity tester has a bit of a delay on it, whereas the A830L has one of the scratchy unlatched kind.

I've seen the hot glue over the trimmer trick. Maybe it's to prevent it from going out of cal due to vibration? seems unnecessary to me.

here is a picture of the inside of an A830L (left) and a DT830D (right). Both didn't have fuses, installed, but oddly still had the pads for them so I just cut the trace shorting the pads together and installed my own.

It does ask to install a fuse. :) So, there's not much advantage to A830L (and possibly AN8202 as it might be the same thing). However, they can measure capacitance which is one extra feature.

Offline JLNY

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 10:29:20 pm »
I don't think the A830L can measure capacitance. I think that symbol is for the battery measurement?

I don't see it listed in the features for the AN8202 either.

Edit: just tried it on my A830L, nothing happens when you connect it to a capacitor. Measuring a 1.5V battery gives a reading of 34.2, so I have no idea what that range is supposed to do?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 10:37:58 pm by JLNY »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 10:35:49 pm »
I don't think the A830L can measure capacitance. I think that symbol is for the battery measurement?

My mistake then, I read that on the product title, forgetting that they list "capacitance tester" on every single meter, more or less, even DT-830B.

Offline JLNY

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 10:47:15 pm »

My mistake then, I read that on the product title, forgetting that they list "capacitance tester" on every single meter, more or less, even DT-830B.

Haha, do they?

Yeah, sadly the only real feature advantage of the A830L is the backlight, which is genuinely pretty nice for what it is. Oddly, the backlight just gradually fades out instead of being a toggle, so you have to keep pumping it up every few seconds for it to stay bright. That said, I've seen worse backlights on meters for several times the price.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2017, 10:57:30 pm »

Haha, do they?

Yeah, sadly the only real feature advantage of the A830L is the backlight, which is genuinely pretty nice for what it is. Oddly, the backlight just gradually fades out instead of being a toggle, so you have to keep pumping it up every few seconds for it to stay bright. That said, I've seen worse backlights on meters for several times the price.

Regarding the titles, here are some examples:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LCD-Digital-Multimeter-Voltmeter-AC-DC-Ohmmeter-Ammeter-Capacitance-OHM-Tester-/122154514669
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Multimeter-Voltmeter-Ohmmeter-Ammeter-Digital-LCD-Capacitance-Tester-AC-Meter-FT-/121801732825

It's not those specific sellers to blame, the title is quite common. Fair enough, they don't list capacitance checking in the description.
As for the backlight, that sounds strange, but still - having a backlight for that price seems pretty nice.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf