Author Topic: Analog Devices ADALM2000  (Read 39928 times)

Offline KWKolbTopic starter

• Contributor
Re: Analog Devices ADALM2000
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2018, 11:38:46 pm »
I have two conflicting pieces of evidence on potential availability of the ADALM2000.  To the bad, I received the following from Analog Devices about a month ago:

"Subject: RE: Form EnquiryCustomer Service Support

Hi,
We having issues with a third party vendor on getting a part and it's causing a lot of delays on our side.  We don't have a timetable on when we will be shipping out the ADALM2000 orders
Thanks
Flora"

To the good, I note that Arrow is now advertising them and claims to have several in stock.

Unfortunately, I placed orders with Mouser and Digi-Key, who still show future shipping dates.

I share your pain on this subject Mr W0lf.

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2018, 03:02:43 pm »
My ADALM2000 has appeared without warning so here is a mini review/first impressions.

My unit doesn't have a case despite the photos. The PCB is shoved into a huge piece of clear heatshrink tubing and then the label is taped to it. Looks cheap and tacky.[edit]They've had problems iwth getting the cases. If you want a case then you need to email somebody at Analog Devices. Read the Thanks letter for the email address.[/edit]

The box had the ADALM2000 itself in an antistatic bag, a micro-USB cable, a strip of extra tall 2.54mm pin headers, a sheet saying thanks for buying a ADALM2000 and a breakout cable for the pins.

It is a rev C board which is the latest according to the github repo. It came with 0.19 alpha firmware. 0.20 alpha is available. Same upgrade instructions as the ADALM-PLUTO.

You'll need the Scopy app to make this work. Reboot when it tells you or it doesn't connect. Scopy is a bit sparse looking compared to the Digilent WaveForms app.

I've not peeled off the label/heatshrink to confirm but the FPGA/CPU looks to be the same Xilinx Zynq Z7010 as the ADALM-PLUTO. It is running in single core mode again and you can turn on the other core if you want. AD said they had only licensed one of the cores in a forum post for the ADALM-PLUTO but the end user can enable it. The main ADC/DAC is a AD9963 according to Scopy.

Same as the ADALM-PLUTO, you can plug in a supported USB WiFi or Ethernet dongle and remotely connect to it over the network which is quite a nice feature.

The pinout is exactly the same as the Analog Discovery 2 so the BNC adapter should work on it.

Will have to see how much work AD put into the Scopy app and the firmware. The Analog Discovery 2 is 2x the price with a 14-bit ADC/DAC instead of 12-bit and there are far more tutorials for the Waveforms software. What you get for the price is good but the software is a bit lacking since new + alpha release. I've played about with it for an hour or so now and its okay. I've already made it crash a few times.

The ADALM2000 could do some interesting things in the future though because of the dual core Zynq Z7010. No clue if other ADALM2000 units will come with a case and what availability will be like however.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 11:58:03 am by tsman »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, exe, HarlanLSU1

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2018, 07:24:44 pm »
Can you please share some photos?

The following users thanked this post: KWKolb

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2018, 07:26:36 pm »
Can you please share some photos?
Sure. Added to my post.

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2018, 11:56:51 am »
Okay. I should read the Thanks letter a bit more closely. It should come with a case but that is the reason why the ADALM2000 is so delayed. Therefore they released without as people were asking for it. You can email somebody at Analog for a case though.

Offline wolfp

• Contributor
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2018, 06:43:35 am »
I ordered an ADALM2000 yesterday from mouser.de. They told me it will be delivered on 17. July 2018. There seems to be some more action on the wiki of adalm2000. Maybe it will be available soon.
Wolfgang

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2018, 09:31:49 pm »
I'm still trying to get a case for this ADALM2000 but not having much luck. The person I need to contact is Robin Getz who is "Director of Systems Engineering" but he's ignoring my forum posts about it now. I've emailed him via my personal email and gmail but he said he replied twice but nothing ever arrived. Nothing in the mail server logs either so I don't know what he's replied to or what he said.

Offline wolfp

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2018, 04:42:04 pm »
I am still waiting for my ADALM2000. Mouser told me it will be available beginning of September. Maybe there are some more problems then the case. I would not need the case I can make my own using a 3D-printer.
Wolfgang

Offline dinix

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2018, 02:32:19 pm »
I'm still trying to get a case for this ADALM2000 but not having much luck. The person I need to contact is Robin Getz who is "Director of Systems Engineering" but he's ignoring my forum posts about it now. I've emailed him via my personal email and gmail but he said he replied twice but nothing ever arrived. Nothing in the mail server logs either so I don't know what he's replied to or what he said.

Hi, did you get the box already? I'm in the same situation, no answers, no box, nothing.

Offline MrW0lf

• Frequent Contributor
    • lab!fyi
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2018, 04:51:52 pm »
I share your pain on this subject Mr W0lf.

So numb by now cant feel it anymore :P

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2018, 05:13:05 pm »
Gosh, it's still alive... But did they improve software? If this is their repo (https://github.com/analogdevicesinc/m2k-fw), then they didn't do much last year.

Offline ralphrmartin

• Frequent Contributor
    • Me
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2018, 06:37:09 pm »
Is it time for me to say to you guys "told you so" yet? (see my postings a year ago in this topic....) 8)]

I must admit that Pixelpulse 1.0 did finally appear, however.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 06:39:39 pm by ralphrmartin »

Offline abraxa

• Frequent Contributor
  • Sigrok associate
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2018, 07:42:11 pm »
Gosh, it's still alive... But did they improve software? If this is their repo (https://github.com/analogdevicesinc/m2k-fw), then they didn't do much last year.

https://github.com/analogdevicesinc/scopy is their application software and I'd say they're pretty actively working on it.

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2018, 02:47:12 pm »
MrWOlf, your long wait may be coming to an end.  I've got two on order - one from Mouser, one from Digi-Key, shipping dates keep pushing out for both.

Three recent videos on the ADALM2000 from IG Electron.

One is an interview with rep at tradeshow, other two are hands on.  Some comparisons are made with the Analog Discovery 2.  Interesting to hear the AD guy at the trade show talk about  the differences.

Review Links:

On the IG Electron facebook page is the interview with the AD guy at the GNU Radio Conference.  May need to join the group to see it - I'm still trying to figure out this twitterface interweb stuff.  Link to the group:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/wehackhardware/
Other interesting and useful topics and discussion by IG Electron IMHO. 

AD guy says price for ADALM2000 will start at $99 for intro, then go to $149.

UFB that AD can't figure out how to produce little plastic cases in any kind of a timely manner.  I'm trying not to let it undermine my cofidence in their entire product line.

The following users thanked this post: exe, MrW0lf

Offline MrW0lf

• Frequent Contributor
    • lab!fyi
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2018, 08:20:52 pm »
Software looks like a demo or maybe oriented for kids & touch only. Miles behind AD2 or Pico. But so is the price... I need it just as spare high bit voltage * current integrator so all that not very important. However wfm looks little "jumpy" vertically, especially from internal gen. Well see well see... :popcorn:

Offline wolfp

• Contributor
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2018, 06:28:43 am »
My ADALM2000 is on its way to Germany. It should arrive on Thursday. I am very astonished that a company like AD needs abt half a year to build a plastic case but maybe there were some other problems.
Wolfgang
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 06:34:41 am by wolfp »

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2018, 08:44:08 am »
I am very astonished that a company like AD needs abt half a year to build a plastic case

May be it wasn't their top priority :). But yeah, the product is long-overdue.

• Contributor
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2018, 05:04:24 pm »
I ended up ordering an ADALM2000 from both Dig-Key and Mouser early this year or late last year (can't remember it's been so long).  They both notified me they were shipping and provided tracking numbers.  I should have them early next week. 

I guess the logjam may finally be broken.  Or maybe AD just gave up on putting them in cases.

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2018, 05:24:10 pm »
Or maybe AD just gave up on putting them in cases.
Somebody replied to my thread on the Analog Devices forum saying they had just received their ADALM2000 and it did come with a case. I've still not managed to get a case out of them.

Offline MrW0lf

• Frequent Contributor
    • lab!fyi
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2018, 07:15:15 pm »
It better be boxed after 15 months wait! :box: Mine is shipped also soon ruthless shootout vs AD2 and Pico 2205 :popcorn:

Offline nereye

« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2018, 07:24:27 pm »
Here is a picture...

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2018, 01:05:50 pm »
So what's the bandwidth of the oscilloscope and signal generator functionalities ? On some document it's 25Mhz and some other 5Mhz.

Offline wolfp

• Contributor
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2018, 07:36:38 pm »
I received my ADALM2000 today - with case.
@kosmic: the bandwith of the analog inputs  seems to be 70 MHz (-3dB). But the samplerate is 100Mhz!
The spectrumanalyser can be used up to 50MHz, the oscilloscope maybe useable up 5MHz.
I did not test the signalgenerator until now.
Wolfgang

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2018, 04:52:39 am »
I received my ADALM2000 today - with case.
@kosmic: the bandwith of the analog inputs  seems to be 70 MHz (-3dB). But the samplerate is 100Mhz!
The spectrumanalyser can be used up to 50MHz, the oscilloscope maybe useable up 5MHz.
I did not test the signalgenerator until now.
Wolfgang

Received mine too  ^-^

Signal generator is pretty good (for the price). the limit seem to be 25Mhz Sine, 5 Mhz Square and 10 Mhz Triangle.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 04:58:41 am by Kosmic »

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2018, 02:44:47 pm »
I was looking at sine waves with the oscilloscope fonctionality on the adalm2000 and it was fine up to 13Mhz (with a little bit of attenuation).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf