Author Topic: Analog Devices ADALM2000  (Read 39558 times)

Offline KWKolbTopic starter

• Contributor
Analog Devices ADALM2000
« on: August 13, 2017, 12:45:11 am »
I am considering purchasing an ADALM2000 from Analog Devices.  I want to pair it with an inexpensive windows tablet for a general test equipment set up good from DC to 10 MHz.

Link to the kit is:
 http://www.analog.com/en/design-center/evaluation-hardware-and-software/evaluation-boards-kits/adalm2000.html#eb-overview.

It uses the AD "Scopy" software.  The link for the wiki for the software is:
https://wiki.analog.com/university/tools/m2k/scopy.

Any thoughts or recommendations appreciated, especially with respect to the AD hardware and software.

VR,
Kevin

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
Re: Analog Devices ADALM2000
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 05:14:09 pm »
I guess this might have been developed by/in collaboration with the guys at Nonolith labs (acquired by AD) who designed the CEE and later the ADALM1000. Sorry, no experience or other information. Looks like this is aimed more at the measuring and less at the sourcing/sinking. But it adds a much faster sampling rate and digital I/O.

It is cool that they open-sourced their software.

Offline ralphrmartin

• Frequent Contributor
    • Me
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 06:40:24 pm »
I bought an ADLM1000 on the promise of lots of tutorials and software.

Alas, no version 1.0 of the software ever appeared (nor the tutorials as far as I know).

It seems that Analog Devices made the hardware, and some hobbyists / guys in a garage (Nonolith?) were responsible for the unfinished software.

I'm afraid this was a typical case of beware of buying vaporware.

To be honest, I was rather shocked that a reputable company like Analog Devices would release an unfinished product like this - and not finish it. Surely we should expect a big company to develop a product first, then sell it?

So, I'm very wary of anything they produce now other than their chips - in fact even of their chips.

Of course, the ADALM2000 may be different - but the ADALM1000 has certainly been a disappointment.

Offline egonotto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 07:25:22 pm »
Hi,

is this a cheap version of the Analog Discovery?

12bit versus 14bit

It seems that one cannot buy it now

Best regards
egonotto

Offline pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 07:36:04 pm »
Why not buy the Analog Discovery instead then? Lots of tutorials on the net.

Offline MrW0lf

• Frequent Contributor
    • lab!fyi
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 07:46:14 pm »
Sooner or later some USB-style scope platform will explode due to open-source [expandable] software. Question is will this? I'm browsing thru documentation right now and all very raw. Some dates hint that it was sort of supposed to go on sale in may but seems actually only now!?
Software seems to have mostly same stuff that AD2 has but much less fine grained features and more touch-oriented.
AD2 has scripting (instead of open-source) but this has not "exploded" possibly due to quite crap documentation and no big easy-to-find library of ready made stuff.
So  :popcorn:... So far no-one has ticked all the boxes to go nuclear.

Offline Franz Zinn

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2017, 12:24:23 pm »
The tutorials at https://wiki.analog.com/doku.php do refer to ADALM1000 and ADALM2000. In fact the tutorials for Analog Discovery seem to have been developed by Analog Devices Inc and they seem to be adapting them for ADALM2000 now.

The following users thanked this post: supertrabuco

Offline MrW0lf

• Frequent Contributor
    • lab!fyi
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2017, 02:00:06 pm »
On the sad 13-th day of August I ordered one out of curiosity and have not yet seen it nor will anytime soon:

Mouser reports no stock, delivery estimate:
30 02.10.2017
124 02.10.2017

Factory Lead Time:
23 Weeks

Before that estimate was somewhere at the end of august...  :palm:

Offline CD4007UB

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2017, 03:14:02 pm »
I think the ADALM2000 is a Zync-based partner of the ADALM-PLUTO SDR unit. Both very new, powerful and low priced, but in short supply at the moment.

Concerning tutorials for both ADALM1000 and ADALM2000, they are at https://wiki.analog.com/university/courses/alm1k/alm-labs-list and

https://wiki.analog.com/university/courses/electronics/labs . Also, useful info and links to the latest software on the Wiki pages

https://wiki.analog.com/university/tools/m1k and https://wiki.analog.com/university/tools/m2k.

Note that these devices are designed for students (and others) to learn electronics. They're very good for that (and excellent value for money) but are not intended to

be used as a substitute for benchtop test equipment.

Offline ralphrmartin

• Frequent Contributor
    • Me
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2017, 08:15:26 pm »
I stand corrected in that the tutorials have appeared. No final version of the Pixelpulse software has appeared however: github still shows a 0.90 release, and that's it.

Offline CD4007UB

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2017, 11:14:58 pm »
I daresay PixelPulse could be improved, but it works OK, as does the Python-based Alice software. I haven't used either of them very much. More recently, I installed the MATLAB support package for the ADALM1000, as MATLAB is a good way to acquire and analyse data. The pic below* shows the I-V characteristic of a LED (based on an example). These are basically point-by-point DC measurements, averaged 1000x to reduce noise.

The 'SMU' capability of the ADALM1000 is quite impressive for such a low-cost device, and it opens up a lot of possibilities for looking at diodes, transistors, etc, as described in the ADI lab tutorials. I can't fault it for value for money, particularly for electronics learners who don't want to spend a lot of money to get started. I would not regard it as 'test equipment', but it's a great learning tool.

*Sorry, can't upload a file at the moment - connection keeps resetting
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 11:21:47 pm by CD4007UB »

Offline ralphrmartin

• Frequent Contributor
    • Me
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2017, 05:24:15 pm »
The ALICE software claims it works with MacOS X - but there are no instructions for how to compile or run it. Trying to build the needed libsmu on my Mac following the github instructions just results in build failure. I've pointed this out to the chap who looks after the ALICE pages, so perhaps things will improve.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 09:14:37 pm by ralphrmartin »

Offline ralphrmartin

• Frequent Contributor
    • Me
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2017, 09:15:04 pm »

Is there anyone out there who has actually got ALICE to run on a Mac?

If so, I'd like to hear how you did it.

Offline CD4007UB

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2017, 12:12:14 am »
Not sure if this will help you, as I'm using a Windows PC.

It's a while ago, but I think I installed libsmu first using a file called libsmu-setup.exe. For Alice 1.0, I then unzipped alice-1.0.zip into a folder - it's just a collection of Python files. So, I suppose the key thing on a Mac is to install libsmu (somehow), and the rest should be easy.

Offline ralphrmartin

• Frequent Contributor
    • Me
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2017, 04:39:08 pm »
Thanks for trying to help. The problem is, I have no idea where to put the built libsmu on a Mac. make install needs superuser privileges and puts it in /usr/lib, which is not appropriate...

Offline CD4007UB

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2017, 12:47:29 am »
On my Windows PC, it looks like the installer created a folder C:\Python27\DLLs which contains a single binary file, libpysmu.pyd.

Can you put your compiled libsmu into an equivalent place on your Mac? It may help to google something like 'Mac Python library' to find the required location. Various suggestions here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2741496/location-of-global-libraries-for-python-on-mac .

Offline Franz Zinn

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2017, 01:10:18 pm »
Running Alice is quite easy on a Mac. All you need to do is compile libsmu (including python module) and install it any where on your Mac (even to the Applications directory in your home directory). To compile you will need the developer files for libusb 1.0 which you can get from Macports or Homebrew. Once you have libsmu library and python module installed, you need to ensure they are in your python path and dynamic library load path. You can do this, if necessary, by setting the environment variables PYTHONPATH and DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH. Now you can just use the hash bang mechanism to run Alice (single python file) software from anywhere.

Offline MrW0lf

• Frequent Contributor
    • lab!fyi
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2017, 02:46:50 pm »
Device that I ordered on 13th of august from Mouser currently said to be dispatched on 2018/01/16. New +1 month deadline has been set each month |O
They better get software just right by the time it finally arrives around 2030 because its will be compared to direct competitor in quite harsh manner.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 02:55:02 pm by MrW0lf »

Online exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2017, 01:09:56 pm »
AD2 has scripting (instead of open-source) but this has not "exploded" possibly due to quite crap documentation and no big easy-to-find library of ready made stuff.

It's simply expensive, imho. AD1 for $99 for American students it was a bargain. But I couldn't justify 300+euro. So I decided to buy "real" instruments instead (SDG2042+SDS1202X-E), even though I paid ~€1k.

Offline MrW0lf

• Frequent Contributor
    • lab!fyi
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2017, 04:02:10 pm »
I agree AD2 is relatively expensive when compare to conventional Chinese scope. However if investigate it as "swiss knife" type device possibilities as rapid prototyping helper are quite overwhelming.  So cannot judge it as simply MSO + signal gen, must take account all extra I/O that could (be programmed to) do quite complex stuff. Since there are little to no devices with such toolset it is not immediately obvious how to use it to full potential. So many times I have defaulted to Arduino (Due) for this type of activity because for almost every task can instantly find example somewhere. Not the case with AD2. Similar with STM32 vs Arduino. Technically STM32 wins but one has to be quite good with MCUs or have lots of time at hand.
Anyway, when and if ADALM2000 finally arrives - comparing it to AD2 will be good opportunity to take closer look at advanced usage scenarios vs common MSO + signal gen.

Online exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2017, 09:57:54 am »
However if investigate it as "swiss knife" type device possibilities as rapid prototyping helper are quite overwhelming.

This is true. I really miss network analyzer, LCR meter and a "proper" FFT in my setup. I also considered Red Pitaya, but initial version of software was crap (according to eevblog's review). And it costs even more, like 600euro for all features enabled.

May be one day I buy one of these devices, 14bit ADC sounds very attractive.

Similar with STM32 vs Arduino. Technically STM32 wins but one has to be quite good with MCUs or have lots of time at hand.

I agree. With STM32 I had a lot of pain (although mostly because I'm on Linux).

So, looking forward to your review.

Offline caseyboardman

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2017, 02:36:43 am »

Is there anyone out there who has actually got ALICE to run on a Mac?

If so, I'd like to hear how you did it.

Did you ever get this sorted?

I think I have it working on a mac.

With Alice 1.1, I had to:
  • Run `cmake -DBUILD_PYTHON=ON -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/local/ .`, for the documented `cmake` step for libsmu on github.
  • Run dos2unix on the alice-desktop-1.1.pyw script.
  • Edit alice-desktop-1.1pyw for the #! to point at my homebrew python and not /usr/bin/python.

That last step was the key to getting rid of "Pysmu not found".   I updated my PATH so my homebrew python would be found first as well, and set PYTHONPATH, but I'm not convinced I needed to do that.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 03:06:39 am by caseyboardman »

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2018, 01:02:29 am »
The end may be near.  AD showed the ALADM2000 at their booth at embedded world:

http://www.cieonline.co.uk/mouser-celebrates-innovation-at-embedded-world-2018-with-product-demos-dev-kit-giveaway-free-coffee-and-more/

That said, I've an order into Digi-Key and Mouser both with odd or undefined delivery times.  Also the "scopy" software hasn't seen an update in six months as far as I can tell.

Mr. WOlf, hang in there with me. sir.

VR,
Kevin

Offline Franz Zinn

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2018, 07:46:21 pm »
Finally received shipment notification after almost a year of waiting. Wow!.

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2018, 11:17:11 pm »
Still says backordered for me :(

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2018, 11:38:46 pm »
I have two conflicting pieces of evidence on potential availability of the ADALM2000.  To the bad, I received the following from Analog Devices about a month ago:

"Subject: RE: Form EnquiryCustomer Service Support

Hi,
We having issues with a third party vendor on getting a part and it's causing a lot of delays on our side.  We don't have a timetable on when we will be shipping out the ADALM2000 orders
Thanks
Flora"

To the good, I note that Arrow is now advertising them and claims to have several in stock.

Unfortunately, I placed orders with Mouser and Digi-Key, who still show future shipping dates.

I share your pain on this subject Mr W0lf.

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2018, 03:02:43 pm »
My ADALM2000 has appeared without warning so here is a mini review/first impressions.

My unit doesn't have a case despite the photos. The PCB is shoved into a huge piece of clear heatshrink tubing and then the label is taped to it. Looks cheap and tacky.[edit]They've had problems iwth getting the cases. If you want a case then you need to email somebody at Analog Devices. Read the Thanks letter for the email address.[/edit]

The box had the ADALM2000 itself in an antistatic bag, a micro-USB cable, a strip of extra tall 2.54mm pin headers, a sheet saying thanks for buying a ADALM2000 and a breakout cable for the pins.

It is a rev C board which is the latest according to the github repo. It came with 0.19 alpha firmware. 0.20 alpha is available. Same upgrade instructions as the ADALM-PLUTO.

You'll need the Scopy app to make this work. Reboot when it tells you or it doesn't connect. Scopy is a bit sparse looking compared to the Digilent WaveForms app.

I've not peeled off the label/heatshrink to confirm but the FPGA/CPU looks to be the same Xilinx Zynq Z7010 as the ADALM-PLUTO. It is running in single core mode again and you can turn on the other core if you want. AD said they had only licensed one of the cores in a forum post for the ADALM-PLUTO but the end user can enable it. The main ADC/DAC is a AD9963 according to Scopy.

Same as the ADALM-PLUTO, you can plug in a supported USB WiFi or Ethernet dongle and remotely connect to it over the network which is quite a nice feature.

The pinout is exactly the same as the Analog Discovery 2 so the BNC adapter should work on it.

Will have to see how much work AD put into the Scopy app and the firmware. The Analog Discovery 2 is 2x the price with a 14-bit ADC/DAC instead of 12-bit and there are far more tutorials for the Waveforms software. What you get for the price is good but the software is a bit lacking since new + alpha release. I've played about with it for an hour or so now and its okay. I've already made it crash a few times.

The ADALM2000 could do some interesting things in the future though because of the dual core Zynq Z7010. No clue if other ADALM2000 units will come with a case and what availability will be like however.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 11:58:03 am by tsman »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, exe, HarlanLSU1

Online exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2018, 07:24:44 pm »
Can you please share some photos?

The following users thanked this post: KWKolb

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2018, 07:26:36 pm »
Can you please share some photos?
Sure. Added to my post.

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2018, 11:56:51 am »
Okay. I should read the Thanks letter a bit more closely. It should come with a case but that is the reason why the ADALM2000 is so delayed. Therefore they released without as people were asking for it. You can email somebody at Analog for a case though.

Offline wolfp

• Contributor
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2018, 06:43:35 am »
I ordered an ADALM2000 yesterday from mouser.de. They told me it will be delivered on 17. July 2018. There seems to be some more action on the wiki of adalm2000. Maybe it will be available soon.
Wolfgang

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2018, 09:31:49 pm »
I'm still trying to get a case for this ADALM2000 but not having much luck. The person I need to contact is Robin Getz who is "Director of Systems Engineering" but he's ignoring my forum posts about it now. I've emailed him via my personal email and gmail but he said he replied twice but nothing ever arrived. Nothing in the mail server logs either so I don't know what he's replied to or what he said.

Offline wolfp

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2018, 04:42:04 pm »
I am still waiting for my ADALM2000. Mouser told me it will be available beginning of September. Maybe there are some more problems then the case. I would not need the case I can make my own using a 3D-printer.
Wolfgang

Offline dinix

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2018, 02:32:19 pm »
I'm still trying to get a case for this ADALM2000 but not having much luck. The person I need to contact is Robin Getz who is "Director of Systems Engineering" but he's ignoring my forum posts about it now. I've emailed him via my personal email and gmail but he said he replied twice but nothing ever arrived. Nothing in the mail server logs either so I don't know what he's replied to or what he said.

Hi, did you get the box already? I'm in the same situation, no answers, no box, nothing.

Offline MrW0lf

• Frequent Contributor
    • lab!fyi
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2018, 04:51:52 pm »
I share your pain on this subject Mr W0lf.

So numb by now cant feel it anymore :P

Online exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2018, 05:13:05 pm »
Gosh, it's still alive... But did they improve software? If this is their repo (https://github.com/analogdevicesinc/m2k-fw), then they didn't do much last year.

Offline ralphrmartin

• Frequent Contributor
    • Me
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2018, 06:37:09 pm »
Is it time for me to say to you guys "told you so" yet? (see my postings a year ago in this topic....) 8)]

I must admit that Pixelpulse 1.0 did finally appear, however.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 06:39:39 pm by ralphrmartin »

Offline abraxa

• Frequent Contributor
  • Sigrok associate
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2018, 07:42:11 pm »
Gosh, it's still alive... But did they improve software? If this is their repo (https://github.com/analogdevicesinc/m2k-fw), then they didn't do much last year.

https://github.com/analogdevicesinc/scopy is their application software and I'd say they're pretty actively working on it.

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2018, 02:47:12 pm »
MrWOlf, your long wait may be coming to an end.  I've got two on order - one from Mouser, one from Digi-Key, shipping dates keep pushing out for both.

Three recent videos on the ADALM2000 from IG Electron.

One is an interview with rep at tradeshow, other two are hands on.  Some comparisons are made with the Analog Discovery 2.  Interesting to hear the AD guy at the trade show talk about  the differences.

Review Links:

On the IG Electron facebook page is the interview with the AD guy at the GNU Radio Conference.  May need to join the group to see it - I'm still trying to figure out this twitterface interweb stuff.  Link to the group:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/wehackhardware/
Other interesting and useful topics and discussion by IG Electron IMHO. 

AD guy says price for ADALM2000 will start at $99 for intro, then go to $149.

UFB that AD can't figure out how to produce little plastic cases in any kind of a timely manner.  I'm trying not to let it undermine my cofidence in their entire product line.

The following users thanked this post: exe, MrW0lf

Offline MrW0lf

• Frequent Contributor
    • lab!fyi
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2018, 08:20:52 pm »
Software looks like a demo or maybe oriented for kids & touch only. Miles behind AD2 or Pico. But so is the price... I need it just as spare high bit voltage * current integrator so all that not very important. However wfm looks little "jumpy" vertically, especially from internal gen. Well see well see... :popcorn:

Offline wolfp

• Contributor
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2018, 06:28:43 am »
My ADALM2000 is on its way to Germany. It should arrive on Thursday. I am very astonished that a company like AD needs abt half a year to build a plastic case but maybe there were some other problems.
Wolfgang
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 06:34:41 am by wolfp »

Online exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2018, 08:44:08 am »
I am very astonished that a company like AD needs abt half a year to build a plastic case

May be it wasn't their top priority :). But yeah, the product is long-overdue.

• Contributor
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2018, 05:04:24 pm »
I ended up ordering an ADALM2000 from both Dig-Key and Mouser early this year or late last year (can't remember it's been so long).  They both notified me they were shipping and provided tracking numbers.  I should have them early next week. 

I guess the logjam may finally be broken.  Or maybe AD just gave up on putting them in cases.

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2018, 05:24:10 pm »
Or maybe AD just gave up on putting them in cases.
Somebody replied to my thread on the Analog Devices forum saying they had just received their ADALM2000 and it did come with a case. I've still not managed to get a case out of them.

Offline MrW0lf

• Frequent Contributor
    • lab!fyi
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2018, 07:15:15 pm »
It better be boxed after 15 months wait! :box: Mine is shipped also soon ruthless shootout vs AD2 and Pico 2205 :popcorn:

Offline nereye

« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2018, 07:24:27 pm »
Here is a picture...

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2018, 01:05:50 pm »
So what's the bandwidth of the oscilloscope and signal generator functionalities ? On some document it's 25Mhz and some other 5Mhz.

Offline wolfp

• Contributor
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2018, 07:36:38 pm »
I received my ADALM2000 today - with case.
@kosmic: the bandwith of the analog inputs  seems to be 70 MHz (-3dB). But the samplerate is 100Mhz!
The spectrumanalyser can be used up to 50MHz, the oscilloscope maybe useable up 5MHz.
I did not test the signalgenerator until now.
Wolfgang

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2018, 04:52:39 am »
I received my ADALM2000 today - with case.
@kosmic: the bandwith of the analog inputs  seems to be 70 MHz (-3dB). But the samplerate is 100Mhz!
The spectrumanalyser can be used up to 50MHz, the oscilloscope maybe useable up 5MHz.
I did not test the signalgenerator until now.
Wolfgang

Received mine too  ^-^

Signal generator is pretty good (for the price). the limit seem to be 25Mhz Sine, 5 Mhz Square and 10 Mhz Triangle.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 04:58:41 am by Kosmic »

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2018, 02:44:47 pm »
I was looking at sine waves with the oscilloscope fonctionality on the adalm2000 and it was fine up to 13Mhz (with a little bit of attenuation).

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2018, 02:54:32 pm »
Scopy crashed couple of times though. I need to find some repro steps and report the bugs.

Still need to test the logic analyzer but overall i'm really satisfied.

Offline sada

« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2018, 03:57:42 pm »
Tried to check bandwidth my ADALM2000 with HP8648B SSG.
This result is acceptable for me to use my application environment.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2018, 05:36:35 pm »

Cool, so the BNC adapter board from Digilent is working. I ordered one and should receive it this week.

Offline wolfp

• Contributor
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2018, 07:46:18 pm »

Did you terminate the coaxial-cable with 50 ohms?

Offline sada

« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2018, 10:31:27 am »
I do not use any terminator, connect 50 ohm coaxial cable directly.
HP8648B output  impedance is 50 ohm. I guess the ADALM2000 input impedance is 1M ohm? (Higher than 50 ohm)

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2018, 11:13:40 am »
I do not use any terminator, connect 50 ohm coaxial cable directly.
HP8648B output  impedance is 50 ohm. I guess the ADALM2000 input impedance is 1M ohm? (Higher than 50 ohm)

Without a 50ohm termination, your test has limited value and applicability in other circumstances.

A scope's input impedance is only 1Mohm at low frequencies. Hint: what's the impedance of the parallel 30pF capacitor a 1kHz, 1MHz and 10MHz?
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: exe, sada

Offline wolfp

• Contributor
« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2018, 07:49:38 pm »
Scopy crashed couple of times though. I need to find some repro steps and report the bugs.

Still need to test the logic analyzer but overall i'm really satisfied.

Today my Scopy crashed several times too. I found the reason: The USB-cable.  I exchanged it and no crashes anymore when moving the cable.
Wolfgang

The following users thanked this post: sada

Offline wolfp

• Contributor
« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2018, 02:14:09 pm »
Yesterday I measured the required current for the ADALM2000, rev. C. Only USB, no external power supply connected.
Software: SCOPY, no external devices connected.
Standby (not "Connected")       0,23A
"Connected"                            0,41A
Signal-Generator                     0,55A +- 0,02A
Network-Analyser                    0,53A
all other modes                       0,43A +- 0,02A

If you use the ADALM2000 only for measuring, no external power supply seems to be necessary.

Wolfgang

Offline PaulMUK

« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2018, 05:44:45 pm »
I ordered mine from Mouser in November 2017 and it arrived today November 2018. I opened the box and it only contained the ADALM2000 a USB cable a few pins and no pigtail breakout connector   :(
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 06:39:02 pm by PaulMUK »

Offline MrW0lf

• Frequent Contributor
    • lab!fyi
« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2018, 06:45:16 pm »
I ordered mine from Mouser in November 2017 and it arrived today November 2018. I opened the box and it only contained the ADALM2000 a USB cable a few pins and no pigtail breakout connector   :(

In fact there should be two: 2x5 and 2x10.

The following users thanked this post: PaulMUK

Offline PaulMUK

« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2018, 09:31:01 pm »
Thanks, MrW0lf for letting me know that there should be 2 connectors. I have emailed Mouser and am awaiting a reply. The problem I can now see is on the Mouser website they have no stock and 27 weeks lead time.  Update Nov 21 Mouser were to look into the issue and were to get back to me 1 week later nothing is happening. :(
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 01:26:01 pm by PaulMUK »

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2018, 02:37:30 am »
In fact there should be two: 2x5 and 2x10.
Huh? A 2x5 and 2x10? What is on the other end of those cables?

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2018, 03:43:21 am »
Nothing special just 1 pin female header.

BTW the Digilent BNC adaptor is working fine with the ADALM2000. It's useful to connect a standard oscilloscope probe.

• Contributor
« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2018, 03:20:53 am »
The 2x5 and 2x10 are keyed.  The 2x5 lines up with the oscilloscope differential inputs, grounds, power supplies, and waveform generator outputs.  The 2x10 lines up with digital grounds and digital I/O.

Has anyone been able to connect Scopy to the ADALM2000 via wifi?  I bought one of the AD recommended WIFI dongles, an OTG USB adapter, and edited the config file but no joy. 

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2018, 03:04:57 pm »
The 2x5 and 2x10 are keyed.  The 2x5 lines up with the oscilloscope differential inputs, grounds, power supplies, and waveform generator outputs.  The 2x10 lines up with digital grounds and digital I/O.
Huh. Weird. I only got that big breakout you see in the photos here, an extra tall pin header strip and a USB cable.

Has anyone been able to connect Scopy to the ADALM2000 via wifi?  I bought one of the AD recommended WIFI dongles, an OTG USB adapter, and edited the config file but no joy.
I've not used a WiFi adapter but I did try it with a USB Ethernet dongle and it worked fine.

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2018, 03:15:54 pm »
It took a lot of chasing AD but I've finally got the missing case.

Offline Kalvin

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded SW/HW.
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2019, 01:56:48 pm »
Just received my Adalm-2000 from Digikey. Placed an order last week, and Digikey showed backorder time for a few days then. Now they seem to have some units in the stock:

https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=adalm2000

Firmware upgrade was effortless. I already had the Analog Pluto SDR installed to my Ubuntu 18.3, so installing Scopy was pretty straightforward,

Running Alice has some quirks as the application doesn't seem to find the M2k device. I would very much like to test the impedance analyzer functionality, so I need to figure out how to get Alice up and running.

I bought also Digilent Impedance Analyzer module and Digilent BNC Adapter module. Not 100% sure whether the Impedance Analyzer module is supported by Alice, though.

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2019, 02:19:18 pm »
Running Alice has some quirks as the application doesn't seem to find the M2k device. I would very much like to test the impedance analyzer functionality, so I need to figure out how to get Alice up and running.
Did you install the ADALM2000 version of ALICE + libiio? The ADALM1000 version isn't compatible.

Offline Kalvin

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded SW/HW.
« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2019, 02:35:22 pm »
Did you install the ADALM2000 version of ALICE + libiio? The ADALM1000 version isn't compatible.
Yes, the version is "alice-2.0-m2k" containing the iio.py source file. The application starts successfully, but pressing the red "Recon" button followed by Run pops up a message box saying no device plugged in. I also tried run the application with sudo  :scared:, but it didn't help. Also added udev rules and restarted udev service, but still the same problem.

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2019, 02:50:20 pm »
Ah. I've no experience of the Linux version. The Windows version does run but its very clunky and buggy in places.

Offline Kalvin

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded SW/HW.
« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2019, 03:07:52 pm »
There may be something wrong with the libiio build, or the installed version 0.15 is not compatible with the Alice 2.0. Oh well ...

Offline Kalvin

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded SW/HW.
« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2019, 04:49:19 pm »
Solution to Alice 2.0 not finding Adalm-2000 on Ubuntu 18.3: one needs to build the libiio with USB support. Please see this page for further information:

https://wiki.analog.com/resources/tools-software/linux-software/libiio

For some reason I didn't have the libiio built with USB support when installing Adalm-Pluto, thus Alice could not connect to Adalm-2000.

After successful build (notice usb backend listed):

Code: [Select]
$ iio_info -s
Library version: 0.17 (git tag: ed5ddb2)
Compiled with backends: local xml ip usb
Available contexts:
0: 0456:b672 (Analog Devices Inc. M2k (ADALM-2000)), serial=#################################### [usb:3.122.5]
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 05:08:00 pm by Kalvin »

Offline mrjoda

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #72 on: September 05, 2019, 10:49:06 am »
Hi guys,

little old topick but still relevant.

I got my Adalm a few weeks ago. I tried some network measurements (bode plot) and it is working like a charm. Oscilloscope is not relevant for me. I want only logic analyser and bode plote and spectrum analyser.

A perfect toy for hobby, you can actually works and not only guess what is happening with some filters. Next project - extension board for analog inputs/outputs and high speed buffers for digital logic analyser.

it has some limitation, but for the price ? 

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73 on: September 06, 2019, 02:40:18 am »
I also like the network analyzer. Pretty useful.

The X-Y mode is also decent (Better than my full-fledged oscilloscope anyway). Was improvising a component tester with a transfo and a resistor.

Zener diode:

Capacitor:
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 02:44:01 am by Kosmic »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline mrjoda

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #74 on: September 17, 2019, 03:36:14 pm »
Hi, I drew a simple extension board for connectors. PCBs are on the way to me.

https://workspace.circuitmaker.com/Projects/Details/MEOWelectronics/ADALM-Extension-board 

The following users thanked this post: elektrinis, croma641

Offline RobRob

« Reply #75 on: October 09, 2019, 11:24:15 pm »
Mouser sells the Digilent breakout/breadboard that's compatible with the ADALM2000 for $19.95. It plugs into all the output pins like the Digilent scope adapter.

Offline BFX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2019, 05:49:58 pm »
Hi guys,

board presented by friend of mine mrjoda was my idea and he drawn the first version of PCB.
Why? I don't like original Digilent board because if you attach standard bnc scope probes it's huge and often fell down.
My idea was something light with inputs at front. And hey! There are probes for those crappy small Chinese scopes :)

I was surprised by quality and decision was easy.
And here is result (little bit different from mrjoda drawn)

There is additional button for monitoring output of first generator output by ch.1 of oscilloscope. (together with 6db attu is bode plot really simple )

There is missing one ninigi connector for PSU which I forgot to order.
Next step is design nice 3D printed case.
I'm so happy with the result, that's exactly I expected.

Offline BFX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #77 on: October 12, 2019, 06:01:31 pm »
I forgot Last picture  >:D

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78 on: October 16, 2019, 01:47:17 am »
Discovered something interesting today. I always assumed that the output of the signal generator was calibrated for 50\$\Omega\$ load. Looking at the schematic kind of confirm that assumption.

Testing with a multimeter I was observing the right voltage. Ex setting 1V pp I was reading around 0.354V RMS. But a multimeter normally 1M\$\Omega\$ not 50\$\Omega\$. So I did some more testing with my oscilloscope and it look like the default calibration (nothing connected on the signal generator port) is for 1M\$\Omega\$ load.

Now the interesting part is that if you have a 50\$\Omega\$ load (terminator or other) connected to the signal generator port during calibration, the signal generator will now be calibrated for a 50\$\Omega\$ load.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 01:50:13 am by Kosmic »

The following users thanked this post: grbk

Offline mrjoda

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #79 on: October 16, 2019, 06:29:31 pm »
here is my board. If you want, send me pm i have 4 pcs left. I will send it for postage + 1€ for board.

The following users thanked this post: TurboTom, exe

Offline mrjoda

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #80 on: October 17, 2019, 11:57:17 am »
so, that was quick. Spare PCBs are already reserved  ;)

Offline BFX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #81 on: November 03, 2019, 07:41:21 pm »
Discovered something interesting today. I always assumed that the output of the signal generator was calibrated for 50\$\Omega\$ load. Looking at the schematic kind of confirm that assumption.

Testing with a multimeter I was observing the right voltage. Ex setting 1V pp I was reading around 0.354V RMS. But a multimeter normally 1M\$\Omega\$ not 50\$\Omega\$. So I did some more testing with my oscilloscope and it look like the default calibration (nothing connected on the signal generator port) is for 1M\$\Omega\$ load.

Now the interesting part is that if you have a 50\$\Omega\$ load (terminator or other) connected to the signal generator port during calibration, the signal generator will now be calibrated for a 50\$\Omega\$ load.

During my testing of transformers I found out that it is 50 ohm termination and therefore I've put those 6db attu on the board.
Without attenuation reading was so unstable and useless.

And Bode100 also has an attenuator on the output. (Poorly documented  >:D )

Offline Ben321

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #82 on: February 02, 2021, 01:54:37 pm »
I'm considering buying a ADALM2000 myself. It has an analog-to-digital sample rate of 100MSPS, which is really impressive, as it means I should get a full 50MHz bandwidth, great for capturing a few seconds of 50MHz wide RF spectrum for later analysis (100MSPS with 12bit bitdepth padded to 2 bytes per sample gives you 200MBytes per second, so a huge file but useful for analysis). Just like a professional high speed digitizer except only a fraction of the price. However the specs sheet at https://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data%20Sheets/Analog%20Devices%20PDFs/ADALM2000_Web.pdf is telling me I only get 5MHz bandwidth out of it. Apparantly they decided to incorporate an internal 5MHz LPF in it between the input pins and the ADC. A different spec sheet for the same device at a different website https://docs.rs-online.com/fb1d/0900766b815d846d.pdf says the bandwidth is 25MHz (better than 5MHz for sure, but not as good as 50MHz). What's the actual specs? Did the specs actually change? Did Analog Devices actually modify the manufacturing process for the ADALM2000, so there actually exist 2 different variants of the ADALM2000 (each with different specs), but with the exact same product name?

Also, is it possible to bypass the internal LPF (maybe soldering a wire across a component), to get the full 50MHz bandwidth that's possible with a 100MSPS sample rate?

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83 on: February 02, 2021, 02:57:28 pm »
I'm considering buying a ADALM2000 myself. It has an analog-to-digital sample rate of 100MSPS, which is really impressive, as it means I should get a full 50MHz bandwidth, great for capturing a few seconds of 50MHz wide RF spectrum for later analysis (100MSPS with 12bit bitdepth padded to 2 bytes per sample gives you 200MBytes per second, so a huge file but useful for analysis). Just like a professional high speed digitizer except only a fraction of the price. However the specs sheet at https://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data%20Sheets/Analog%20Devices%20PDFs/ADALM2000_Web.pdf is telling me I only get 5MHz bandwidth out of it. Apparantly they decided to incorporate an internal 5MHz LPF in it between the input pins and the ADC. A different spec sheet for the same device at a different website https://docs.rs-online.com/fb1d/0900766b815d846d.pdf says the bandwidth is 25MHz (better than 5MHz for sure, but not as good as 50MHz). What's the actual specs? Did the specs actually change? Did Analog Devices actually modify the manufacturing process for the ADALM2000, so there actually exist 2 different variants of the ADALM2000 (each with different specs), but with the exact same product name?

Also, is it possible to bypass the internal LPF (maybe soldering a wire across a component), to get the full 50MHz bandwidth that's possible with a 100MSPS sample rate?

Schematics are over here: https://wiki.analog.com/university/tools/m2k/devs/hardware

There is some minor differences between Rev A and D on the input.

I remember testing the spectrum analyzer functionality up to 50Mhz. I might be mistaken though. Could do more tests tonight if you want.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 03:07:09 pm by Kosmic »

Offline Ben321

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #84 on: February 02, 2021, 09:50:57 pm »

Schematics are over here: https://wiki.analog.com/university/tools/m2k/devs/hardware

I remember testing the spectrum analyzer functionality up to 50Mhz. I might be mistaken though. Could do more tests tonight if you want.

Thanks. That would be great if you could check that. Also, does the device's analog input support continuous streaming (sends all samples to the PC)? Or does it only support block transfer (sends a block of samples and then there may be some delay before the next block is sent)? I know that the official Scopy software has an osciloscope mode, that only supports block transfer mode (each block is sent in response to a trigger, or free run, but no guarenty that there will be no delay between blocks). However, I also know that the ADALM2000 has an SDK for you to design your own software, so if the hardware permits a continuous streaming mode for analog input, then I should be able to write my own software to use that streaming mode.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85 on: February 04, 2021, 02:29:29 am »
So I tested at different point (1, 10, 20, 30, 40 and 49Mhz) at 0dBm. I initially wanted to use the max hold feature but it stop working after some time  :( My source was a calibrated IFR2025 with a accuracy of +-0.8dBm.

the Spectrum Analyzer app was sweeping from 1Hz to 50MHz with a 762.94Hz resolution bandwidth, gain mode low, averaging 16 samples.

The -3dB point seem to be at around 20Mhz. At 49MHz its something like -9dB off.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 02:42:26 am by Kosmic »

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86 on: February 04, 2021, 02:40:26 am »

Thanks. That would be great if you could check that. Also, does the device's analog input support continuous streaming (sends all samples to the PC)? Or does it only support block transfer (sends a block of samples and then there may be some delay before the next block is sent)? I know that the official Scopy software has an osciloscope mode, that only supports block transfer mode (each block is sent in response to a trigger, or free run, but no guarenty that there will be no delay between blocks). However, I also know that the ADALM2000 has an SDK for you to design your own software, so if the hardware permits a continuous streaming mode for analog input, then I should be able to write my own software to use that streaming mode.

There's a C++/C#/Python library you can use.

https://wiki.analog.com/university/tools/m2k/libm2k/libm2k#download
https://github.com/analogdevicesinc/libm2k

Looked quickly at the API, and yes you can stream.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87 on: February 04, 2021, 02:45:26 am »
Hmmm this is new, they have a driver for Labview now :D

https://wiki.analog.com/university/tools/m2k/labview

Offline Ben321

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #88 on: February 23, 2021, 11:57:30 pm »

Is it better to use libm2k for this? or is it better to use libiio for this? Part of installation of the ADALM2000 in the first place is installation of libiio on my PC. The only problem I have with using libiio right now is knowing what folder it put libiio in when it installed it. I don't see a libiio folder in either Program Files or Program Files (x86). Of course if libm2k is the preferred method for writing software for controlling the ADALM2000, then I will use that instead of libiio.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89 on: February 24, 2021, 04:34:36 pm »

Is it better to use libm2k for this? or is it better to use libiio for this? Part of installation of the ADALM2000 in the first place is installation of libiio on my PC. The only problem I have with using libiio right now is knowing what folder it put libiio in when it installed it. I don't see a libiio folder in either Program Files or Program Files (x86). Of course if libm2k is the preferred method for writing software for controlling the ADALM2000, then I will use that instead of libiio.

Better to use libm2k since you have specific API for the Adalm2000. libiio is really generic and was specifically created to transport data from the device to the PC. I would not be surprise if libm2k was using libiio under the hood.

Edit: Yes libm2k use libiio.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 04:37:10 pm by Kosmic »

Offline Ben321

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #90 on: March 19, 2021, 09:15:03 pm »

Better to use libm2k since you have specific API for the Adalm2000. libiio is really generic and was specifically created to transport data from the device to the PC. I would not be surprise if libm2k was using libiio under the hood.

Edit: Yes libm2k use libiio.
So libm2k can be used with ADALM2000? What about Pluto2000 (an SDR also offered by the same company)? Does the Pluto2000 also work with libm2k, or do I need to use the lower level libiio with that one? Also if libm2k doesn't work with Pluto2000, is there another community created lib similar to libm2k, designed to work with Pluto2000?

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91 on: October 02, 2021, 08:50:56 pm »
Interesting, the Adalm2000 now has a Mixed Signal Mode. I'm surprise they are still updating the firmware and software after all this time. Scopy is working a lot better now. Less crash and weird stuff going on.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf