Author Topic: Aneng AN860B Multimeter  (Read 22142 times)

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
Re: Aneng AN860B Multimeter
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2017, 02:11:58 am »
The question I have now is if YOU took the time to read it and if so,

Yes I sure did read your FAQ once you pointed it out. 

I don't follow your main thread here although I knew it existed in the back of my mind, I could have gone and found it, if I'd been motivated to do so, but yeah, a lot of people I'm sure just search [meter model number here], find your video on youtube and...

do you understand why this has nothing to do with safety?

Well.  I think it's clear your testing is not presently intended to provide commentary on the safety of meters or how they meet or not the CAT (safety) ratings, but still, I think that perhaps your tests by nature can give that impression.   

If your tests show that the meter does not gracefully handle a lesser level of abuse than the CAT it is marked with appears to necessitate, then you have shown that it can not meet that rating.

If this means it is unsafe to use the meter within the bounds of that rating because it does not meet the requirements thereof... is a different question, but people could I think reasonably draw the conclusion, that the CAT rating printed on the meter should definitely not be used to determine the answer.

Of course, we all know this already cat ratings printed on meters from china are worth less than the ink they were printed with, but that doesn't (necessarily) mean they are unsafe or not robust enough to use in "typical" hobbiest situations.  I have no hesitation in using my own collection of cheap-chinese-meters.

Anyway, I'm not sure where I was going with this now, kinda got lost along the way, in short, stick some links in your video descriptions, people might ask less repetitive questions of you then :-)

~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2017, 02:58:24 am »
Well.  I think it's clear your testing is not presently intended to provide commentary on the safety of meters or how they meet or not the CAT (safety) ratings, but still, I think that perhaps your tests by nature can give that impression.   

Why?  Because I supply the voltage waveform?  What if I made that with a 0.001pf cap?  Would you still have that impression? 

If your tests show that the meter does not gracefully handle a lesser level of abuse than the CAT it is marked with appears to necessitate, then you have shown that it can not meet that rating.

I see that posted from time to time but again, I don't know if that is a true statement.  I've mentioned that I have asked some of the large companies if the meters need to survive the IEC surge test and have heard different answers.   I think we would all agree seeing sparks come out of a meter at these low levels does not build a lot of confidence.

If this means it is unsafe to use the meter within the bounds of that rating because it does not meet the requirements thereof... is a different question, but people could I think reasonably draw the conclusion, that the CAT rating printed on the meter should definitely not be used to determine the answer.

Of course, we all know this already cat ratings printed on meters from china are worth less than the ink they were printed with, but that doesn't (necessarily) mean they are unsafe or not robust enough to use in "typical" hobbiest situations.  I have no hesitation in using my own collection of cheap-chinese-meters.

Anyway, I'm not sure where I was going with this now, kinda got lost along the way, in short, stick some links in your video descriptions, people might ask less repetitive questions of you then :-)

Some of the most robust meters I have looked at came out of China and some of these have been certified.  I don't really understand the blanket comments like these.  For sure if you need the safety standards, get one that has been certified.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2017, 03:00:43 am »
Sorry for the hijacking OP.  Back to the AN860B..

Offline vasco

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2017, 12:45:47 pm »
Sorry for the hijacking OP.  Back to the AN860B..

Is there any internal difference between the Zotek VC17B+ and the Aneng AN860B+ ?
All that I find is that the Zotek is about 10US$ more expensive.

Offline Deepwinter

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2017, 08:12:00 am »
Would this or the AN8008 be a more useful meter for a first time meter for a newbie hobbyist.

Appreciate any advice so many options its hard to know which to get.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2017, 10:42:15 am »
Would this or the AN8008 be a more useful meter for a first time meter for a newbie hobbyist.

I've got both and I say 860B+ is a much better first meter.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 12:09:38 pm by Fungus »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf