Author Topic: Annoyed with the Fluke 289  (Read 41497 times)

Offline serggio

• Regular Contributor
Re: Annoyed with the Fluke 289
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2017, 11:21:47 am »
For my "desktop" needs, I am now very happy with a U1273A.
It has its quirks and for a simple, reliable meter, I'd still pick a 87-V, but as a more feature-rich desktop meter, the U1273A checks all the right boxes.

I think about buying a used Keysight U1273A for a nice price instead of a Fluke 289. Although I am a Fluke Fan-Boy (113, 117, 179, 87V), I need a handy datalogging DMM with low Ohm capability.

What do you mean with "It has its quirks"? Do you also have the BT-Adapter and the newest FW for the U1273A?

Thank you very much for sharing your experience!  ;)
Before buying meter with OLED display, just check how long your meter will work from one set of batteries :) http://www.keysight.com/main/editorial.jspx?cc=US&lc=eng&ckey=1812907&nid=-34618.1144466&id=1812907
As for stupid solutions = handheld meters with OLED and rechargeable Li-ion batteries...
http://www.keysight.com/main/editorial.jspx?cc=US&lc=eng&ckey=906497&nid=-34618.1144466&id=906497
Well, 8 hours (7.2V rechargeable batteries) for U1253B  :palm:
If you want to recharge your meter each time before going to customer facility, or perform quick measurements - it's your way. I don't think that this is eliminate 5-8 seconds boot up time for Fluke 289. While... you'll have amazing OLED display  :)

Offline serggio

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2017, 11:41:49 am »
Has anyone found and figured out how to replace the screen with something better?

I keep my Fluke 287 at contrast level 5 or 6.
Press "DOWN" button at middle of keyboard till you'll have double beeps at each button pressing. This will down your contrast level to min. After that rise it up 5-6 time with UP button.
I don't know why Fluke made contrast adjustment always available from UP/DOWN keys at any mode (except menu and submenu navigation) and at the same time have dedicated item for contrast adjustment in setup menu. Form my point of view would be great have access to contrast adjustment from setup menu only. This will eliminate casual contrast adjustment.

Offline LaurentR

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2017, 03:58:51 pm »
Staying on topic, the U127X and the new U128X are alternatives to the 289 worth looking at. They are different beasts from the 289, but they do provide dual display and very nice logging options and wired or wireless connectivity to free software (PC or mobile).

The OLED model (U1273A) is definitely not without tradeoffs, so usage model will decide if it makes sense. I have and have had a 87V, 289, U1272A, U1273A, U1282A plus a few smaller ones and some benchtops (3446X) and _at my desk_, I always reach for the U1273A first (and the 3446X second).

As a traveling meter, I'd probably pick a 87V if the feature set is sufficient or the U1272A or the new U1282A for more.

The following users thanked this post: PushUp

Online David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2017, 04:38:05 pm »
The kickstand is plastic, weak, and unstable.  The meter will fall over sideways with the slightest bump.  The kickstand hinge mechanism is just barely strong enough to hold up the meter -- bump it slightly and it pops off and the meter falls flat.  Plus it's a plastic bump and slot arrangement that holds the kickstand on, and every time it pops off it gets chewed up and less able to hold the meter up.

This is what happens in a mature industry when style becomes more important than functionality and it is a good indication of poor engineering in general.

The rounded "ergonomic" bottom and narrowing from top to bottom means the meter is only poorly supported at one point on the bottom and more easily falls over.  (1) The low contrast display is difficult to read.  Low battery life lowers reliability.

Whoever does the human factors engineering and evaluation and their management at Fluke should be fired and sent to Detroit serve in Congress.

(1) Leading to more broken meters and more meter sales?

Offline serggio

• Regular Contributor
Annoyed with the Fluke 289
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2017, 08:23:16 pm »
So, your suggestion David?
What meter is best?
What display technology is better at all?
What meter available to show graphics with minimum power consumption?
What ergonomic you want from meter? 
What safety level you'll expect?
What contrast is low and what is high? To compare with?

Online David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2017, 10:36:29 pm »
I do not have a satisfactory answer for you serggio; I have been using the same handheld multimeters for 10+ years now and they have flat bottoms so are not prone to tipping over, have good battery life, and except for my Tektronix meter have good contrast.  But they are all out of production.

What I was getting at is that if style has overtaken functionality, then other aspects of the meter's design should be questioned.  Testing a meter for long term reliability is difficult but battery life, display contrast, and physical ergonomics are all easy to measure or know.  Fluke jumped the shark some time ago.

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2017, 12:24:33 am »
The kickstand is plastic, weak, and unstable.  The meter will fall over sideways with the slightest bump.  The kickstand hinge mechanism is just barely strong enough to hold up the meter -- bump it slightly and it pops off and the meter falls flat.  Plus it's a plastic bump and slot arrangement that holds the kickstand on, and every time it pops off it gets chewed up and less able to hold the meter up.

This is what happens in a mature industry when style becomes more important than functionality and it is a good indication of poor engineering in general.

The rounded "ergonomic" bottom and narrowing from top to bottom means the meter is only poorly supported at one point on the bottom and more easily falls over.  (1) The low contrast display is difficult to read.  Low battery life lowers reliability.

Whoever does the human factors engineering and evaluation and their management at Fluke should be fired and sent to Detroit serve in Congress.

(1) Leading to more broken meters and more meter sales?

It appears the golden age of practical modern meters (1990s to 20xx?) is near its end ? 
and -cheap cheap-  'fill er up with features' city all the way,
with loads of battery draining eye candy
and ~smooth~ pear shaped curves to get techs perving and whistling at the action, and pinching meter bottoms..  ;D

No thanks, I got work to do,
no time to waste questioning the latest 'smart' (ass) meter eye candy readings   :-// 
or hunting for batteries  |O

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2017, 09:38:49 pm »
Those Aussies again! Haven't you be told that 'pinching' must be strictly consensual? Most meters do not like such rough play!
Now, when I combine Electro Detective's  post mentally with the one about talking multimeters, things become interesting!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2017, 12:42:14 am »
As long as Uni-T and other makers don't include a hidden 1000v insulation test  'slap'  feature on their future big bottom talking meters, it's good to go  :-+

Let's pray the Meter Libertarians don't target this pinching business and spoil the fun   >:D

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2017, 08:32:22 am »
UNBELIEVABLE !!!  |O |O |O |O |O |O

The round black battery compartment lock thingy has SHATTERED into 5 pieces for no reason whatsover!

I turned it CAREFULLY with a coin to put in new batteries (that's allowed, right??!) and found out WHY it has always been difficult to do, even with a tough short HUMAN thumb nail

Initial observation and analysis:  It's CHEAP plastic POS crap on a MULTI-DOLLAR-METER ? !!!

LUCKILY the main two FRAGMENTS jammed back in and turned a certain way, keeping the battery section in and I can use the meter, FOR NOW !    :phew:  :rant: :wtf:

Flukked by 'Under New Management, 'Enjoy' ' Fluke again,

first it was the light leakage firmware fiasco,

then the leaking bearded superCRAPacitor (which has NOT been fixed)

NOW THIS BS !!  |O

I like this meter, it does s*** other meters don't, 

but the HARDWARE BITCHING has to STOP or get sorted ASAP !!!   :--

How the **** am I going to get this little POS replacement from Fluke,

what ELUSIVE part number will it be?

and will it cost MORE THAN A NEW FLUKKING METER ???

:palm: :palm:

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2017, 08:35:10 am »
UNBELIEVABLE !!!  |O |O |O |O |O |O

The round black battery compartment lock thingy has SHATTERED into 5 pieces for no reason whatsover!

I turned it CAREFULLY with a coin to put in new batteries (that's allowed, right??!) and found out WHY it has always been difficult to do, even with a tough short HUMAN thumb nail

Initial observation and analysis:  It's CHEAP plastic POS crap on a MULTI-DOLLAR-METER ? !!!

LUCKILY the main two FRAGMENTS jammed back in and turned a certain way, keeping the battery section in and I can use the meter, FOR NOW !    :phew:  :rant: :wtf:

Flukked by 'Under New Management, 'Enjoy' ' Fluke again,

first it was the light leakage firmware fiasco,

then the leaking bearded superCRAPacitor (which has NOT been fixed)

NOW THIS BS !!  |O

I like this meter, it does s*** other meters don't, 

but the HARDWARE BITCHING has to STOP or get sorted ASAP !!!   :--

How the **** am I going to get this little POS replacement from Fluke,

what ELUSIVE part number will it be?

and will it cost MORE THAN A NEW FLUKKING METER ???

:palm: :palm:

Shit brittle pastic, inconsistent quality. I gave up on Fluke long ago...

Offline Dubbie

• Supporter
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2017, 10:49:58 am »
I bought one for the logging abilities (very nice) but never use it day to day because of slow boot, infuriating menus for common things like continuity and the way it devours batteries. I end up using my bryman instead for my primary daily meter.

Offline Deridex

• Regular Contributor
  • IMHO
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2017, 12:06:16 pm »
We got a few Fluke 289 in the company. I usally avoid to use em.
Even for loggin i think the Keysight-Multimeter do a nice job, specally because u can log multiple DMM at the same time.

Offline serggio

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2017, 12:15:43 pm »
Even for loggin i think the Keysight-Multimeter do a nice job, specally because u can log multiple DMM at the same time.
What??  :o

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2017, 12:20:48 pm »
I bough a Fluke 289 and found myself not liking it at all, so a few month later I sold it again!

I still have my trusted 87V but I find myself more and more to only use the Keysight U1273A and U1253B.
Especially since I can have 3 Keysight meters logging my measurements remotely at the same time on my iPad.
Try that with a 289!

« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 12:25:04 pm by HighVoltage »
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline Deridex

• Regular Contributor
  • IMHO
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2017, 12:29:50 pm »
What??  :o
You can log the Readings from multiple DMM's at the same time with the "Keysight Handheld Meter Logger"-Software. I kinda lika that.
I'm not sure if that is possible with the Fluke 289.

Offline serggio

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2017, 12:46:10 pm »
You can log the Readings from multiple DMM's at the same time with the "Keysight Handheld Meter Logger"-Software. I kinda lika that.
You can start FlukeView form more than one time at your PC, if you have extended version.
I agree that Fluke have very old logging SW, that this is require additional cost. That is trade off for Fluke.  :-- At least they can create modern SW for logging devices.

As for remote logging from DMMs connected to PC - my point of view - this is stupid and pretty limited. It nice for fun, but far away from real task.  :-DMM
So, you need have PC connected to all your metters. Or, have bluetooth connection, that is also limited.
Don't forget please, that bluetooth or even IR UART connection will kill your meter battery very fast. I do not see any reason to have logging possibility directly to PC. Good in lab and home fun but not for troubleshooting in customer facility.

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline serggio

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2017, 12:49:19 pm »
I bough a Fluke 289 and found myself not liking it at all, so a few month later I sold it again!

I still have my trusted 87V but I find myself more and more to only use the Keysight U1273A and U1253B.
Especially since I can have 3 Keysight meters logging my measurements remotely at the same time on my iPad.
Try that with a 289!
Look nice, and how long you can play with your toys before you'll be need replace battery/recharge iPad? Is it work when your iPad in standby?  :-DMM

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2017, 01:40:10 pm »
Look nice, and how long you can play with your toys before you'll be need replace battery/recharge iPad? Is it work when your iPad in standby?  :-DMM
I am still on the first set of batteries for the Bluetooth adapters at the DMM side.
The iPad is not a requirement, you can easily log it with a PC and BT and the free Keysight logger software.
And then you can even log more than three DMM at the same time.
I have not noticed that the iPad will be battery stressed and discharge faster than with other prorams running.
For the iPad APP you are limited to 3 DMM at the same time.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline serggio

• Regular Contributor
Annoyed with the Fluke 289
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2017, 01:50:11 pm »
I am still use second set of summer tires at my car and what? )))
Is I right understand that for logging/graph analyzing you need three tools simultaneously working:

1. Meter
2. IR/Bluetooth adapter
3. iPad or PC.

Pretty funny achievement over Fluke :)

More that funny for this thread... few minutes ago I receive one more mail from Keysight...))

« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 02:23:17 pm by serggio »

Offline Deridex

• Regular Contributor
  • IMHO
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2017, 02:30:03 pm »
You can start FlukeView form more than one time at your PC, if you have extended version.
I agree that Fluke have very old logging SW, that this is require additional cost. That is trade off for Fluke.  :-- At least they can create modern SW for logging devices.

As for remote logging from DMMs connected to PC - my point of view - this is stupid and pretty limited. It nice for fun, but far away from real task.  :-DMM
So, you need have PC connected to all your metters. Or, have bluetooth connection, that is also limited.
Don't forget please, that bluetooth or even IR UART connection will kill your meter battery very fast. I do not see any reason to have logging possibility directly to PC. Good in lab and home fun but not for troubleshooting in customer facility.
Well my usecase at work is a workbench/lab but no big facility. So it works fine here. Also i have not noted any batterydraining on this mulitmeters when they are logging and are connected via IR to the pc. But i gotta admit i have not watched for that.

Don't get me wrong: The fluke 289 is a impressive dmm. But i think it's not worth just for logging to a pc, if you don't need the other features.
Edit: Ofcourse: Being able to log without a PC has also it's advantages.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 02:39:25 pm by Deridex »

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2017, 03:04:17 pm »

Is I right understand that for logging/graph analyzing you need three tools simultaneously working:

1. Meter
2. IR/Bluetooth adapter
3. iPad or PC.

Logging to iPad or PC works over a IR/Bluetooth adapter wireless
Or alternatively you can use a IR to USB cable on the PC

The software is free and works really well.
Plus on the PC software you are not limited to three DMM.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2017, 12:10:30 am »
serggio has some strong points and I agree  :-+

You get one of those corpoRATe phone calls you wished you missed,
turn up to some apparently annoying troubleshoot job with a Cat4 Fluke 289  :-DMM 
('greeted' by an annoying clueless clipboard waving zombie complaining about the 'last guy' and not giving any relevant information)

take the usual snafu measurements,

then plug in and LOG away,

while getting on with the rest of the tour of duty.

It's that FAST and SIMPLE  (as long as you have new pre-tested batteries in the meter!) 

Probably would work in a hospital or airplane too, without interfering with their devices    :-//

Thanks guys for those other logging options too btw     :clap:

« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 11:12:32 pm by Electro Detective »

Offline Deridex

• Regular Contributor
  • IMHO
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2017, 06:43:35 am »
This shows how different the usecases for such multimeters are.
While my usecase is a lab/workbench, yours is a big facility.
And in that way we got totally different requirements about the multimeters we use.
Here noone would think about loggin without a PC while you surely can make good use of this feature.  :-+

Offline serggio

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2017, 10:00:45 am »
Logging is are primary feature, why I use 280 series Fluke.
Yes, it's big meter, and MCU inside meter take some time for booting after power on. But this is price would you pay for convenience.
But I have possibilities for troubleshooting with logged data graph view without external tools.
Internal memory also huge - 15 000 logged points, while Keysight 1252B have only 200 logged intervals internal memory capacity.
Fluke 287/289 using two types of events same time during logging - intervals and thresholds. Using event threshold value - really cool feature, you'll able to capture only data that is out of thresholds (% from last stable signal). So no need to capture all data and looking for unexpected event later.
All logged data at each point have MIN, MAX and AVERAGE within measured intervals.

I use it also for check power consumption some blocks in car. Many block controlled thru CAN bus can have some activity before going to full stand by mode. All that I need - connect Fluke in chain and rest it in car. And I do not need bring iPad/PC and keep it in car some time during troubleshooting.

I agree that Fluke trade offs is chargeable PC logging SW, and for that price would be nice to have modern application at least. Current Fluke ViewForm application really old  :-- All that they doing during update - they add some new meters protocols. Keysight really beat it here. Application look nice and absolutely FOC.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 02:52:07 pm by serggio »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf